November 21, 2014 | 1653 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Purefume Brilliant Humectant Pomade

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by OjosVerdes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have long, naturally curly hair and I cannot live without this product - it is the ONLY thing I've found (in probably 20 years of searching), that defines my curls and leaves me with soft, shiny spirals.

It is a very heavy product, so use sparingly - if my hair were very fine or straight, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a 10-ft pole - even on my hair it definitely leaves a slightly "greasy" feeling on my hands if I touch my hair throughout the day (and when I use it I have to shampoo almost daily) - however, it makes works so well that these slight annoyances definitely won't deter me from buying this stuff as long as Aveda makes it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2009 7:45:00 AM More reviews by azuree1975

Not a bad product.

But the line between enough product to be effective, and too much, which will make it oily and lank is very, very thin.

On the odd occasion that I've gotten the quantity right, it has made my curls look glossy and beautiful.

Because it's Aveda, it is very expensive, and the tub in which the product comes is problematic because a) all manner of contaminants (ie. hair) seem to make it into the tub, and b) because it's very difficut to measure the right quantity to use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 10:09:00 AM More reviews by i_darling

I would not buy this again because I think I was directed to the wrong product by my one-time stylist. He should have directed me to the anti-humectant pomade since we live in a town with 95%+ humidity year round. However, he recommended this. I have been using it to add weight and shine to my hair when I straighten it (I have naturally wavy tresses that are hard to control) but now that I see it's use for wavy and course hair I think I'll try it like that to see if I like it for that purpose as well. Overall, I love the scent, packaging and texture and would recommend it. It's not pure love for me on this one (that would be The Body Shop's Coconut Hair Shine) but then again, I have been using it in a way contrary to its intended use! Thanks careless stylist guy!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2009 8:34:00 PM More reviews by csk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had to check the label on my jar to make sure I was using the product that was getting such rave reviews here. It is a clear, thick gel in a blue jar that I find to be very sticky. I've tried to use it on my ends and flyaways, and well, it works like a very weak, diluted gel might. My hair is really coarse, thick, and wiry, and I am not afraid of stuff that "weighs hair down," but the stickiness of this clumps hair in an unflattering way and kills any natural movement. I've found many other ones, such as the Artec pomade, to be far superior - there are options out there that impart light control without stickiness and lack of movement.

This is probably one of the more disappointing styling products I've tried, and this is the most negative review I've ever written. The only merit I see is that Aveda is an environmentally sound company that uses quality natural ingredients. Still, I feel like I wasted $23 on this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 2:15:00 AM More reviews by Sky035

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My Holy Grail. Offers great shine and softness as a finishing product on my thick curly hair (African American). I co-wash daily and I usually apply a small bit when I need extra shine/moisture. I will always have this product in rotation, despite the cost. And the smell...simply divine!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2008 10:40:00 PM More reviews by shaross

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product - it is the only thing that has tamed my long straight but fine hair from the evils of rain and humidity. The one down side is you only use a very very little amount as it is heavy and will look oily if you use too much (particularly on fine hair) however the flip side to that is you are using such a small amount it lasts literally forever (okay maybe not literally but a phenomonally long time).

I use a tiny bit, rub it on my palms and then start to distribute underneath the hair and then move to on top. I have tried other Aveda products for control, the hang straight is pretty good, I don't get much out of the newish smoothing product - but I rave about this. I'm in Australian so very $$ to buy retail - but a bargain off Strawberrynet.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 10:52:00 PM More reviews by aq123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A once a year must have! I make an annual purchase of this stuff to define pieces of hair, control fly aways and add shine. It also works excellently as a brow tamer.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2008 10:43:00 PM More reviews by my3sweetpeas

I've been using this for a few years now and it's truly one of my "can't do without" products. Love it! It does wonders for my naturally curly hair. I live in the deep South where humidity is a problem nearly year 'round and this pomade really helps with the frizzies. It gives separation to my curls and also provides nice shine and bounce. If it didn't cost so much, I'd give it a 5!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2008 1:42:00 AM More reviews by skincarejunkie1123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for over 10 years! Once in awhile I have swayed away to try other items but always come back to my lovely pomade. I have curly hair and use this all year round. I mix it with a bit of pantene curling mousse and my curls are just lovely! I always get compliments on how good my hair smells. A little goes a long way! If you use to much, it's grease city. LOVE this!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2007 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Shelacious

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had bought this product many months ago and used it a bit, and then put it away. I reacquainted myself with it last month, and have really become addicted to it!

I use it mostly over my gel when I bun or ponytail my hair to minimize gel crunch and to add some humectants to my hair. This product works very well to provide texture definition, and minimize flyaways. I have super curly (type 4) hair, and so using a big finger full works just fine. A jar lasts me about two or three months with daily usage, so it's worth the price in my book. The scent is pleasant, and oddly comforting. Using this on a rainy day "can" cause a little frizz because it's drawing moisture from the humidity, but that's not a real problem for me because that's what it's supposed to do.