Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade

4.1

Aqueous Extracts of Aloe, Kelp, Flaxseed, Oleth-10 (Plant Oils), PEG 25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycerin (Coconut Oil), Isopropyl Palmitate (Palm Oil), Diisopropyl Dimerate (Mineral Oil Substitute), Sorbitol (Corn), Hydroxypropyl Bisstearyldimonium Chloride (Detangler), Methyl Gluceth-20 (Corn), Aveda's Own Pure, Natural Preservative Fragrance Containing Geranium & Other Essential Oils, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Methylparaben (Food Grade), Propylparaben (Food Grade), Diazolidinyl Urea (Allantoin)

on 9/17/2010 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I finally figured out how to make this work for me!!!

I've been using and loving Aveda's Brilliant Shampoo & Conditioner. However, I've been having a hard time figuring out how to use their styling products - namely the Brilliant Universal Styling Creme & this product - the Brilliant Humectant Pomade. I recently figured out the Styling Creme and dug out the Pomade to see if I could make it work for me and it does. :-) I think the trick is that Aveda products are very high quality and you only need to use a *tiny* bit. I've never experienced that because my hair tends to eat up hair products by the bottle. Any time a hair product says to apply a "dime size amount" I laugh and apply a palmful because a dime would disappear before even covering my ends. :-/ But with Aveda, if it says to use a pea size or dime size amount - do it. It will work like it says.

My hair is baby fine, curly, and tends to be dry even though I hardly ever heat style and don't use any chemical processes or dyes.

When I first used this product it made my hair feel waxy and then dry. I didn't know why so I put it away. Now I've figured out that it's just extremely heavy by itself. So I use it mixed with a drop at a time of coconut oil. Here's what I do: Section hair that is 75% or more dry into 4 sections. Apply less than the tip of my fingernail's worth onto my palm followed by a drop of coconut oil and mix together. Smooth through my hair, braid or twist up until dry(I don't like leaving my wet hair out, it gets on my nerves >_< ). Move on to the next section.

My hair is soft and moisturized all day. :-) Plus I A.D.O.R.E. the scent. I initially bought it for the scent alone and didn't even know how to use it. lol But now that I've figured it out, I'll probably be using it daily. Will definitely repurchase.

on 4/14/2010 10:33:00 PM

I have a short pixie cut, baby fine hair but TONS of it, and I like it to look as insanely shiny as humanly possible (cuz there isnt much of it!)

I can't count the compliments I get when I have this in my hair. VERY addictive! Smells like Heaven.

I apply it while my hair is still wet and my hair DOES keep that "I-just-showered" look with this product WITHOUT looking like I have a bunch of "gel" in my hair. At least for the morning. Then (sigh!) it dries out on me. I have to keep going to the restroom to dampen my hair and freshen the style - but then I have to do that with EVERY thing I put in my hair. I crave a product that would stay "wet looking" all day but my search continues....

on 9/23/2009 4:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I have long, naturally curly hair and I cannot live without this product - it is the ONLY thing I've found (in probably 20 years of searching), that defines my curls and leaves me with soft, shiny spirals.

It is a very heavy product, so use sparingly - if my hair were very fine or straight, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a 10-ft pole - even on my hair it definitely leaves a slightly "greasy" feeling on my hands if I touch my hair throughout the day (and when I use it I have to shampoo almost daily) - however, it makes works so well that these slight annoyances definitely won't deter me from buying this stuff as long as Aveda makes it!

on 7/19/2009 7:45:00 AM

Not a bad product.

But the line between enough product to be effective, and too much, which will make it oily and lank is very, very thin.

On the odd occasion that I've gotten the quantity right, it has made my curls look glossy and beautiful.

Because it's Aveda, it is very expensive, and the tub in which the product comes is problematic because a) all manner of contaminants (ie. hair) seem to make it into the tub, and b) because it's very difficut to measure the right quantity to use.

on 5/6/2009 10:09:00 AM

I would not buy this again because I think I was directed to the wrong product by my one-time stylist. He should have directed me to the anti-humectant pomade since we live in a town with 95%+ humidity year round. However, he recommended this. I have been using it to add weight and shine to my hair when I straighten it (I have naturally wavy tresses that are hard to control) but now that I see it's use for wavy and course hair I think I'll try it like that to see if I like it for that purpose as well. Overall, I love the scent, packaging and texture and would recommend it. It's not pure love for me on this one (that would be The Body Shop's Coconut Hair Shine) but then again, I have been using it in a way contrary to its intended use! Thanks careless stylist guy!

on 2/12/2009 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I had to check the label on my jar to make sure I was using the product that was getting such rave reviews here. It is a clear, thick gel in a blue jar that I find to be very sticky. I've tried to use it on my ends and flyaways, and well, it works like a very weak, diluted gel might. My hair is really coarse, thick, and wiry, and I am not afraid of stuff that "weighs hair down," but the stickiness of this clumps hair in an unflattering way and kills any natural movement. I've found many other ones, such as the Artec pomade, to be far superior - there are options out there that impart light control without stickiness and lack of movement.

This is probably one of the more disappointing styling products I've tried, and this is the most negative review I've ever written. The only merit I see is that Aveda is an environmentally sound company that uses quality natural ingredients. Still, I feel like I wasted $23 on this.

on 7/14/2008 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

My Holy Grail. Offers great shine and softness as a finishing product on my thick curly hair (African American). I co-wash daily and I usually apply a small bit when I need extra shine/moisture. I will always have this product in rotation, despite the cost. And the smell...simply divine!

on 6/15/2008 10:40:00 PM

I love this product - it is the only thing that has tamed my long straight but fine hair from the evils of rain and humidity. The one down side is you only use a very very little amount as it is heavy and will look oily if you use too much (particularly on fine hair) however the flip side to that is you are using such a small amount it lasts literally forever (okay maybe not literally but a phenomonally long time).

I use a tiny bit, rub it on my palms and then start to distribute underneath the hair and then move to on top. I have tried other Aveda products for control, the hang straight is pretty good, I don't get much out of the newish smoothing product - but I rave about this. I'm in Australian so very $$ to buy retail - but a bargain off Strawberrynet.

on 2/17/2008 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

A once a year must have! I make an annual purchase of this stuff to define pieces of hair, control fly aways and add shine. It also works excellently as a brow tamer.

on 1/18/2008 10:43:00 PM

I've been using this for a few years now and it's truly one of my "can't do without" products. Love it! It does wonders for my naturally curly hair. I live in the deep South where humidity is a problem nearly year 'round and this pomade really helps with the frizzies. It gives separation to my curls and also provides nice shine and bounce. If it didn't cost so much, I'd give it a 5!

Popular Styling Products