Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX-05

3.9

Ingredients Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum). May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

on 12/6/2006 5:11:00 PM

I wear SX05, which I'd peg as neutral (neither strongly yellow nor strongly pink). I tried 06, and holy cow is it yellow, it looked like I schmeared egg yolk under my eyes. For reference, I wear Px Traceless #2, Px Flawless in Vellum, Px Virtual Matte in Vellum. I use this strictly as an under-eye concealer, and it does the job quite well. It is creamy and relatively easy to spread, so no pulling/tugging on the eye area. It dries down to a demi-matte finish that doesn't require powdering to lock it in place - a big plus, since powder tends to age my eye area greatly. Creasing is minimal and generally only occurs if I apply layers too thickly. There are two tricks to using this, and if you get them right you will be rewarded, this product delivers. The first is that the shade MUST match the skin tone well. If the shade is off, it is going to look terrible, this product is NOT forgiving. Too light, too dark, wrong undertone - can't get away with any of that with the SSE, it isn't going to blend out to look acceptable like a lot of foundations do. Second, application is key. Simple, but key. It is best applied in very thin layers, building up the coverage gradually. If try to apply to heavily right out of the gate, it doesn't blend as well and balls up a bit, looks heavy, and also has a tendency to crease. I moisturize well first and let that absorb thoroughly, then use a natural bristle brush (I like MAC 224) to dab on very tiny dots and gently blend out. I then tap/blend gently with my ring finger. The heat from my finger helps the foundation mesh with the skin. If I need more coverage (unfortunately, I always do...), I continue to apply thin layers as above. I prefer a natural bristle brush to taklon because I find the taklon applies too much at once whereas the natural bristles allow me to apply a thinner layer. Really, I'm not kidding - thin layers are key here for natural-looking coverage. After about a minute on the skin it sets to a solid finish and looks great, powdering to set isn't needed, is optional. Don't balk at the price - *so little* of this is needed, and I mean *a tiny amount*, that jar will last YEARS, I've been using this over a month now and still am using the small amount of product that was on the inside cap when I first opened it. It is rather strongly scented, and my nose smells rose - a cloying rose scent. I do find it dissipates, and I've actually gotten used to it. Not thrilled about the packaging, but the product itself is thick, and I can't see how it could be dispensed from a tube, way too much - much more than you'd need to do your entire face - would end up coming out at once, so a jar is probably the best packaging for this particular product. This is an excellent product if you learn how to apply it properly, and I do recommend it to those who need the coverage.

on 12/1/2006 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wear Nude in LM Oil Free TM, NW20-25 in most Mac foundations & the SX-05 is perfect for me. It does seem expensive for the small amount that you get in the gorgeous little pot, but it takes such a teeny tiny bit of product that it's like having a 5 oz bottle of foundation. My favorite way to use this is to put it on immediately after my moisturizer or primer & just dab it on the spots that need a lot of coverage & across my cheeks where my skintone is uneven. Then I use my Mac #109 brush & buff my Mac Studio Fix Fluid or LM Oil Free TM all over my face, blending in the SSE. This gives me beautiful coverage with that wears all day.

on 5/27/2006 6:03:00 AM

I like this foundation.I'm having trouble with it though.I'm applying it in the morning and then setting it with a good quality powder.Why is it then that later in the day if i try to do a touch up (with the sensual enhancer) it settles into my pores or seperates?Could it be that I've set it with the powder and then tried to touch up with the sensual enhancer over the top????Frustarated!Any advice?

on 11/1/2005 12:13:00 AM

UPDATE 10-13-06:
still using this jar... in fact, i've barely put a dent in it, despite using it at least 5 days a week! it hasn't turned or gone bad, or even changed odor. i'd definitely buy this again, but i don't anticipate needing to unless it goes rancid. :)
the sonia kashuk nylon foundation brush makes this go on so smoothly (much more silky, and less dry-feeling, than the essence of beauty brush i had been using) that it's pretty undetectable. i love it!

i love this stuff. in theory this isn't the foundation for me - i've never used dept. store or full coverage foundations. but i've always loved kevyn aucoin's work and had heard good things about the line. i got a match within a few minutes of stopping at the neiman marcus counter, and the color has worked out perfectly for me since. at first i had a more difficult time getting the application seamless enough, because i have pretty clear skin and only wear concealer/foundation around my eyes, nose and chin.... so the application has to match the bare skin around it. in the beginning i was using my fingers to blend it into my skin. i found that it's easiest to use a tiny amount (maybe 1/4 rice grain size!) with a dry foundation brush (i like the essence of beauty foundation brush, cvs carries it... it's inexpensive and does a great job). if you just buff it into the skin (freshly moisturized skin), it blends perfectly. this is the first time i've ever used a foundation that made my skin look unbelievably perfect... i think it's a combination of the good formulation combined with the great color match. my match is sx-05... which i believe is a light neutral beige, and the palest of the more commonly used shades. i use it over ddf's matte spf 30 and have had no problems at all. if my skin is looking dry, i'll use another moisturizer in those spots, since the ddf is quite matte, to avoid giving the foundation any flakiness to cling to.

on 5/2/2005 6:25:00 PM

FANTASTIC product!! I mix with my moisturizer for a sheer coverage or lightly apply for heavier. This color is perfect for me ---PPP with neutral undertones. You only need a VERY small amount b/c it's concentrated, so it'll last me FOREVER. Worth the $$$$

on 11/21/2003 3:20:00 PM

This color is the perfect match for my LLL skin. My coloring verges more towards FFF than it does towards PPP, but I'd say I'm right in the middle of the LLL spectrum. For a color match, I also use Chanel Shell, Sue Devitt Tanami, Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Nude, Becca Cashmere, Armani LSF #4, Chantecaille FS Chamomile.

SX-05 is a light beige that's fairly neutral. There is no pink to speak of but there is the tiniest hint of yellow, which works well for my light olive complexion. If you veer more towards FFF or have stronger yellow tones, then try SX-06.
continued >>