December 18, 2014 | 1647 users online

Shampoo - Neutrogena - Anti-Residue Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 10:13:00 AM More reviews by pandasteaks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this shampoo to clarify once a week since I was about 12 years old. Perfect once a week, perfect for after the beach, perfect for de-gunking your done up hair after an event. I even turned my husband onto it! This is the only shampoo my husband uses.

Fresh scent, seriously clarifies, leaves your hair feeling squeaky clean and shiny.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

WARNING: USE WITH CARE!

For colored or sensitive or dry/damaged or curly hair...this product is NOT a must-have for everyone like people are saying!! It contains both Sodium Laureth Sulphate and a very high content of salt, which together are very drying to hair and scalp.

Its mostly sodium laureth sulphate....and salt! Yes, regular shampoo and regular table salt, crucially without the silicones that causes buildup. The Neutrogena brand is expensive for such a tiny bottle, so if you have a regular silicone-free shampoo (avoid the ones that say "smoothing", or "moisturising") you could dissolve some salt in hot water in a bowl mix in a little shampoo and take it to your shower for the occasional deep cleanse if you wanted to save $$$ instead of purchasing this product.

One good thing is its simple ingredient list, however since it is sodium laureth sulphate and salt this does not mean it automatically is safe for sensitive scalps. I personally found it harsh and irritating to my scalp, giving me dryness, dandruff and severe itching.

Because of the salt, and SLS, people with colored hair should not use this unless they actually WANT to strip out their color as fast as possible. How I got this was my hair dresser recommended this as her go-to for quickly fading too bright hair colors. (I did a box dye and went to her for help). She warned me if would be harsh on my scalp and to discontinue after a few weeks as my long hair would get too damaged with regular use. She said the salt in it is very drying to hair and skin...so this is not suitable for most unless your hair is virgin and short, and non-sensitive.

Well, I found her recommendations to be spot on. After a week my color had faded significantly, and, I had dry hair, an itchy dry scalp and dandruff. Since I no longer needed to strip any more color I thankfully went back to my regular SLS free shampoo.

Removes styling buildup as it says, but I've found any regular shampoo without silicones does that for me anyway, so this shampoo is pointless for any purpose other than stripping a bad dye job.

Also, people with curls often find their curls respond badly to any product containing salt, even ones with much less salt than this shampoo (its very concentrated compared to most). So if you are someone who takes pride in their curls you may want to watch carefully how this goes with your particular hair. I found it made my curls a frizzy mess so it didn't work for me.

If I ever want to strip color again I'll try a regular SLS silicone-free shampoo and just add a little salt as this is expensive and I don't want to be left with the remainder of another bottle I can't use (I actually used it up on hand washing garments in the end).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by productjunkie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Makeupalley.

Thank you.

I should have tried out this product earlier. I should have went with my instinct when I first saw the reviews for clarifying shampoos here few years back. But no, it's taken me 24 years to discover the answer to all my scalp/hair problems.

If you have dandruff, greasy scalp, oily scalp, dry/fried ends, limp hair, hair that lacks volume, softness, shine or is looking dull, if you have hormonal issues, bad hair genetics, overstyle your hair, load on all the products imaginable during the work week,

go out and purchase this.

Stop reading the reviews and just go.

Now.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 12:17:00 AM More reviews by aporia

Just had to add my positive vote to the rest. I've been experimenting with a lot of smoothing products lately, and the last couple times I've dried it, it turned out dry and frizzy but limp and lifeless. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, till it occurred to me to try a clarifying shampoo, so I picked this one up at Rite Aid. Like magic! I followed it up with Shea Moisture reconstructing Conditioner, and it was like a whole new head of hair. Definitely putting this in the rotation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by CherZ

Wow!

I have problematic hair, it's oily at the scalp, thick , wavy, very dry at the ends and just a pain to deal with.

For the past several months, I noticed that nothing was working on my hair - even tried and true products were just making my hair frizzy, dry and yet greasy at the same time. And these were expensive salon brands. I somehow stumbled across the reviews of this shampoo here and decided to try it. After all, all that product on my hair was lifeless and dry. I could feel how weighed down my hair was.

I used it today, no conditioner, no additional hair product. It's an extremely humid today and my hair is smooth, bouncy, healthy and tangle-free. I could even brush it wet without too much breakage which is something I can NEVER do.

Highly recommend this for once a week use. I plan on doing just that - it's $5 for Pete's sake and it helped save my hair. I've read reviews which say it's not for everyday so keep it to once a week - otherwise your hair might dry out.

Neutrogena products have always been hit or miss to me - but this is a hit.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by ohheyalex3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love this product. I love it so much I wrote a review - something I never do. I work at car dealership for the summer, where I change oil and get the greasiest grime in my hair. Besides the fact my hair is in the worst environment, I also use my oily hands to move it out of the way. It got so bad I would wake up the morning after a shower the night before as usual and I would have a complete greasy patch of hair at the back of my head. Now I know this was only a summer job and took it out of desperation of some kind, but it would make me feel dirty. Do you know what I mean? I felt like my hair was so gross and oily you could fry an egg on it. It was absolutely disgusting and slightly mortifying as dramatic as this sounds. Anyway, I read online that dove does the trick but I couldn't find it at my local drugstore. I picked up this bottle without knowing much and prayed for the best. I looked up the reviews and was a little worried since some were negative but it saved my hair's life. Honestly. It made my hair so soft and I woke up the next morning with shiny, grease patch free hair and I was just so happy! I never thought I could be so happy over a hair product. It was a great lather and you can really feel it doing its job. Pllleeeeaaase, if you're thinking about buying it, buy it. Heck, even if you aren't thinking about buying it, buy it. It's amazing.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2014 2:15:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I used to use Suave clarifying shampoo for years and stumbled on this. I love it. I find it does a better job all around and doesn't strip my hair as much. I only use it every month or so. I have very thick, coarse, long and wavy hair. It will take hair color out so I advise knowing when you're ready to recolor and then do it, thats what I always do.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by graceybaby8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I learned about this product from my mom a few years ago and I'm so glad I did. I've been using this product once a week just to remove all the product build up from other hair products I use, since I was a teenager. I've never used any other clarifying shampoo, so I can't say how well this product compares to another. But IMHO this stuff is amazing! It makes other hair products work to their potential because the clarifying shampoo removes ALL of the build up from your scalp and hair. I will keep buying this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 1:32:00 AM More reviews by LongBeachGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great clarifying shampoo that gets rid of build up leaving your haIr soft, shiny and healthy. But I have to say I love love love the smell. Nothing like washing with this, putting your hair up then letting it down hours later. Your hair will smell fantastic!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I prefer Redken's Cleansing Cream shampoo BUT this is cheaper, more widely available, and it does a good job of clarifying and removing buildup from styling products and heavy conditioners.
Occasional clarifying (about twice a month or so) makes all the difference in the world for my hair. This is a product that I have bought many times and I'm sure I will continue to buy it in the future just out of convenience.
But the best clarifying shampoo out there IMHO is Redken's Cleansing Cream because it does the same thing but it's much, much gentler (Neutrogena's is a tad bit harsh, thus four lippies instead of five).
Very good product though.