August 2, 2014 | 1609 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 8:24:00 AM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Normally I stay away from loose powders because I am not a fan of cakey, matte skin. But having moved recently to a hot and humid climate I needed to add one to keep my foundation from sliding off.

Reference point: MAC NC 30-35, NARS Barcelona, Armani #7, tan and normal (occasionally slightly dry) skin. - I use the #2 powder.

I use this after my primer, foundation and concealer have been applied. I take my loose powder brush, something big and fluffy (NARS #1 or the Botan Kabuki) and dust a bit of the loose powder on my forehead, nose, and chin (areas that get shiny for me). Depending on what I'm doing that day, I may dust it all over my face. It does make my foundation last longer and I avoid the oily oxidizing t zone areas. However, while this is a luminous product I still have to use a light hand because it can get a like cakey looking. Honestly though, the difference between the days I skip the powder and the days I use it is pretty small. It's not a miracle face powder.

It's also AMAZING for setting under eye concealer! That's where this powder really shines for me. I love a bright under eye area. A heavy coverage concealer, while effectively covering circles tends to leave my under eye area looking cakey and matte. I use a concealer, a dab of YSL Touché Éclat for luminosity and brightening, then set it for longevity using a fluffy eyeshadow brush with the Laura Mercier powder. Ta Da! Beautiful, natural, bright under eyes. And the effect lasts all day.

In terms of packaging, loose powder has always been messy for me. It's not a purse friendly product.

Overall, I see this lasting a long time, and I may repurchase (although I want to try the NARS loose powder). I love this for setting my under eye concealer and like it for the rest of my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 4:29:00 AM More reviews by mziff

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff is magic. I have large, dark hereditary bags under my eyes but as I sweep this powder on, I watch the bags disappear before my eyes. I use it on a big brush under my eyes all the way down to the top of my cheeks. It blends in the dark and discolored part of my eyes making my skin look smoother. The subtle shimmer isn't too glittery and really brightens up my whole face. Normally, I find that powders look cakey on me but this powder is so light and fine that I don't even feel it on. The powder lasts forever, but when I run out I'll be buying this again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by Hollyrad

Love love love! So fine, a little goes a long way. I use it to set my undereye concealer. Won't be purchasing anything else!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by chechi

I have this in number 2. It is meant for the under eyes... but I actually use it all over my face as a setting powder. Since the powder is very finely milled I don't look like a disco ball after (I've checked my face in sunlight). IMO, you don't need another setting powder if you have this product especially if you have dry skin. The packaging sucks. There is a sifter - but the container can get very messy; it is not travel friendly at all... since there are so many (less expensive) setting powders out there, I don't believe this is a necessary purchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I frickin love this product! This is my new powder to set my under eyes with! It doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't crease or settle into fine lines. I apply this with either a damp beauty blender or a fluffy brush, like a mac 224. Definitely would repurchase!

Edit (9/24/13):
I use this over Mac's pro longwear concealer. I apply with a real techniques setting brush. No matter what foundation shade I'm in, this goes perfectly with whatever color I am. Definitely would still repurchase!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by husseyc3

I absolutely love this product. I apply it to my t-zone area (over my ysl touche ecalte concealer) with a mac 224 flluffy brush. It really perfects my skin and makes my large pores look invisible. The sparkles are very subtle but give your face a beautiful natural glow. The price is reasonable because a little product goes a very long way. I've used it daily for over a year and still have half left. I will definitely repurchase. This is a must have for people with large pores!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

31 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by becktasm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Does a good job of setting my under eye concealer without drying out my skin. The shimmer is subtle. Can't say it makes THAT much of a difference, but it does what it's supposed to. I apply it with a fluffy blending brush. I can't imagine ever running out but if I do, I will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by materialface

I purchased this a few years ago. repurchased it one more time before i didn't bother buying agian. With that said, this is a fairly good product for ladies who have extremely dark hereditory dark circles and under eye area. This is a finely milled powder with some particles that create a sheen under the eyes to make them appear more awake and brighter. I'm sold on the idea and concept of this because of my dark circles. the powder really set my concealer and it completely softened my under eye area. this helped my concealer not to crease. this comes in a small tub but u really only need a bit for each use since your only covering a small area.

People who don't have issues with dark circles do NOT need this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by loveableqtpie212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far, this is one of the best powders I've tried for setting my concealer. I'm nc42 and use it in shade #2. It's finely milled and has very very fine shimmers that give a slight glow. The only way I can see the shimmer is in direct sunlight, and even then it is very faint, doesn't look like shimmer unless you look very closely. I don't notice a whole lotta brightening compared to a regular setting powder, it's a subtle effect. Overall the powder gets the job done and keeps my concealer in place. I will repurchase if I don't find something better. I've been using it for 4 months so far and still have a lot left so it will be a while before I'll need to search for something else.