September 1, 2014 | 1865 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by daphne_76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this product yesterday, and I am so impressed with my results that I am leaving a review.

About my hair: wavy natural dark blonde/light brown, level 6/7. As is common with this hair type, my hair was light blonde when I was child and darkened into adulthood. Starting with Sun-In in my teens, I've had color/highlights in my hair for my entire adult life.

Of course, maintaining those beautiful blonde highlights up until now has involved regular salon visits and hundreds of dollars. Either that or various shades of orange and garish yellow, damaged tresses, and even more $$$ in color correction with failed attempts to brighten my hair at home.

Enter chronic illness, a poor economy, divorce and absolutely no extra money to spend on beauty extras. Much youtube research and more not-so-great experiments with home coloring have finally led me to succesful applications of beautiful at-home color.

First step, an all-over application of deposit-only of Clairol Radiance Colorgloss gently blended out my old highlights, a few grays and other not so great color attempts (mixed 8N and 10N for the right shade of dark blonde). This formula leaves my hair with a beautiful, shiny multidimensial base without weird ashy or red tones. It's also very gentle on my already over-processed hair.

I let that settle for a couple of days, then used this Revlon Frost and Glow kit in the blonde color to "ombre" balayage a few highlights mostly around my face and the sides (watched a few youtube videos for the technique).

I was SO stressed out that my hair was going to pull orange/yellow, yet again. But the highlights lifted quickly to a BEAUTIFUL light beige blonde. A couple pieces did take a little longer to process, but I just applied a little heat to them with a blow dryer and they caught up with the others. I washed my hair with a purple toning shampoo afterward (Clairol Shimmer Lights), just to be safe, and then used the shampoo and conditioner that came with the kit.

I'm in love with the end result and can't believe I was able to get my hair to look this way at home. My hair has a gorgeous multitonal but uniform base, and the highlights add the perfect amount soft brightness around my face. I was terrified of more damage to my hair, but it's soft and well-conditioned. I was finally able to achieve a customized look that has been inaccessible to me due to the cost/ difficulty of finding a stylist who really understands what I want. My mother said it looks like I just came from a high end salon and now wants me to color her hair. :-)

I you'd like to add some lightness to your hair for summer, this is a good place to start. I'd recommend watching a few tutorials and starting out really subtle. Happy coloring and the best of luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

One of the very few kits I love. This is easy to use and you can use a little or a lot and put it aside for another use. Has gloves and bleach and developer all inside. It's very simple and straightforward.

If you aren't into looking for the bleach separately in the beauty supply stores and want just an easy basic kit, this is it. It's better than the L'Oreal one IMO.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 8:13:00 AM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this kit on and off for years. I used to pre lighten my very dark brown hair with a caramel hair color and then pull it thru the cap and add highlights. It always came out so light and beautiful. I now use it to touch up my ombré. It works great to lighten my dark brown hair up to a yellowy level. After I always have toner handy to get the yellow tones out and get very light almost platinum highlights.

A few important tips (I am a stylist): always poke holes in the cap first. It makes it way raise to pull it thru. Always wear a plastic cap (can even be a plastic grocery bag) under the cap that comes in the kit. This ensures that there will be no bleach leakage (causing spots) if you accidentally punch the hole too large or rip it. Always follow up with a toner if the result is too brassy rather than re bleaching and damaging your hair. Never put this product over already bleached hairs. This can severely damage you hair over the long run, try refreshing the brassiness with a toner and only applying bleach to roots.

All and all a great product if you are careful with it!

Will continue to purchase when I don't feel like spending a few hundred at the salon.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by LydiaGee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Last summer I used Revlon Highlighting Kit for medium to dark brown hair. The kit included a cap with holes and a utensil to pull your hair through and apply the hair dye. In my experience, the cap was annoying therefore I discarded it and tried to apply hair dye to frame my face. My virgin hair (black) came out blonde which was great. The hair that was previously dyed dark brown came out orange, as expected. So, I recommend this product for people who want to dye their virgin (chemically untreated and uncolored) hair. I do not recommend this product for anyone who wants to dye on top of brown, red, or auburn hair dye. Also, I had to condition my highlighted hair more often because the dye is drying...

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jenniro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm realy upset with my results. I have what I consider light-brown hair and I bought the kit for blonde highlights. I SHOULD HAVE bought the honey kit. My highlights came out very obvious and streaky. It looks unprofessional and cheap. I found the cap very hard to use. Pulling out the hair was a challenge because of the 2nd layer of plastic under the cap. It was best to go back and poke all of the holes before putting on the cap. The hook was terrible and sometimes pulled out way too much hair, or sometimes pulled out just 2 strands of hair. I left the bleach on for about 45-50 minutes. I did have to go through an orange stage. Because the cap was so weirdly fitting on me, I wasn't able to make the cap very tight. Therefore, the highlights stop about an inch from my scalp. My husband noticed how weird this looks. Now I think I have to dye over the whole thing. I wasted time and money and I am embarrassed by how this looks. If I had purchased the honey kit, perhaps my review would be much different.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Aclark7351

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an awesome product! I have really thick, dark brown almost black hair. I used the cap provided, and I did the "Face Framing and Crown"option. It took me about 45 minutes to pull the hair through the holes in the cap-it is a little tedious but once I got the hang of it was fine. I left the dye on my hair for 35 minutes and then washed it out with the provided shampoo and conditioner. The result was natural and well placed highlights in nice honey/blonde/caramel color. My only issue with this kit is that if you follow the guided holes in the cap, you end up with too many highlights too close together near your ears. You can't see them too much when my hair is down, but they are obvious with my hair in a pony tail. Next time I will pull out less pieces of hair in that area. Problem solved!

I will totally buy this and use it again in a few weeks when mine fade! I got my kit from Riteaid and it was about $12.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by velvet202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been highlighting my hair for over 10 years and have probably tried most products on the market with more or less good results. This is by far the worst.
I have dark brown, fine, wavy, shiny hair that takes about 20-25 minutes of highlighting to get nice golden-blonde highlights. I hardly ever use a hair iron and only highlight about every 2 to 3 months, so my hair is in great condition. I left Revlon Frost & Glow in for over 40 minutes without much success. The shade is a dark orange-brown even though it looked lighter covered in highlighter cream. I could have lived with the result (or lack thereof) but what made me want to write an honest review is that my hair is now dry and coarse with no shine and it looks like it'll take a long time to get it back to its previous condition. The non-brassy agent might be a good idea but it's nothing you can't buy for less than five quid in any department store.
I will not repurchase and will not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by jordyn98

I absolutely love this product! Is was my first time highlighting so I was skeptical about the results. The cap was really difficult to use but then I got the hang of it and it became very simple. I only left in the product for 15 mins and it looks great! Next time around i'll keep it in for a little longer. My hair feels healthy (I used extra conditioner and leave in conditioner) i will definitely buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by emilykathleen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best, absolutely fool proof, at-home highlighting kit ever! I've used all three varieties countless times with no issues. In fact, the only "issue" I've had was not leaving the bleach in long enough, but that was my faulty bathroom clock's fault, not the kit. I've never had to use more than one kit at a time, even when doing a full head (pulling hair through every single hole) on my extremely thick hair. This kit is an incredible value- I get great results myself for only $7 instead of $70 at a salon. Yes, the cap and hook technique is a bit tedious, but soooo worth it. As long as you follow the directions and take your time, you'll love the results!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by nm1188

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've never had any luck with at home hair coloring so I was very skeptical about trying this highlighting kit. After reading all the good reviews, I decided to go ahead and try it. Seriously, my hair looks EXACTLY like how I get it done at the salon. Perfectly even blonde highlights that blend in with my light brown hair! I don't think I could justify paying all that money professionally when I could just pay around 8 bucks and get the same result. If anything, I like it better! It looks so much more natural and subtle and I love how you have the option of where you want your highlights. It's a fool proof highlighting kit that I definitely would recommend to anyone!!