NARS Thunderball single

4.7

on 1/7/2010 4:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My HG dark shadow, moody and high impact. Can be used with a wet brush to line the eye. Packaging is rugged feeling, and minimal looking. Brilliant.

on 12/15/2009 11:08:00 PM

this is another all time favorite. yes it is blue-ish/teal-ish BUT i think this is actually blacker than black. it is densely pigmented and the product lasts so long, both in its package and on your face.
MAC cosmetics, i'd bet, are a #1 seller these days, and like most of you i used to use carbon as my matte black but now i use NARS thunderball. compared to carbon, thunderball is much more pigmented and the texture is better too. it blends, it layers, it can be used with a dampened brush to use as a liner, and doesn't get a weird crusty unusable film ontop in time when you do, like mac shadows do.
also, i've been dying my hair blueblack for years and therefore i use this as my eyebrow color. and i pluck the fvck out of my brows, have for years, and get compliments on them all the time.

summary: to me thunderball is blacker than black and perfect for brows and perfect for black shaded eyes. black shadows fade to grey but due to the added color of this product, wears thicker and lassts longer than any black i've tried. and that's a lot!

the more NARS products i try, the more i fall in love.

on 11/25/2009 5:53:00 PM

Gorgeous deep matte navy/teal color. One of the most pigmented eyeshadows I own. Sometimes matte colors can be a pain to blend but this one blends effortlessly. Highly recommend this.

on 4/9/2009 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Would I buy it again .. ABSOLUTELY! If I could E-V-E-R finish it! NARS singles are steep ..but you'll probably never manage to actually finish one because they're huge! Now .. onto the color .. thunderball rocks my world! It's a deep sooty matte blue/green that just makes my eyes dazzle!! The color combinations are endless with this shadow .. pair it w/ gold, silver, light lavendar .. the list could go on and on. This shadow goes on intense, but blends surprisingly easy. You really only need a light touch of this shade to deliver up the ultimate sexy smokey eyes. NARS shadows are very hit or miss for me .. but Thunderball .. HUGE hit!! Well done NARS!!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I *HAD* to get this after I saw it used in a FOTD on the boards. For reference, I am a MAC NC30-35. I am so glad I did. This e/s is definately worth every penny! It is super pigmented and smooth making it easy to apply as a liner. It also makes for a great smokey eye as well. It is a dark slate blue that looks like it could be black. I like to use it as a liner as its not quite harsh as black. I will definately be re-purchasing this if I ever run out!

on 12/12/2008 9:40:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Holy pigmentedness! I knew Thunderball was pigmented from the reviews, but wow - you have to try it to believe it! Some of NARS e/s I've tried are very sheer and ethereal, but Thunderball is not. I love a dark smokey eye so I picked Thunderball to add a little variety to my default smokey eye combo (Stila Wheat as a base, Scott Barnes Urban Legend on the lid, Stila Ebony to smoke it out).

I was a bit disappointed when I first put this on because I was hoping it would show up as a navy-gray rather than a gray-black. Sometimes it shows up as a charcoal black on me despite looking blueish in the pan. I've found this to be true of many of Nars e/s - they look colored in the pan but on the lids they have a grey undertone. However, layered over certain e/s it develops a steel-grey blue tone. For this effect I use Scott Barnes Lily, NARS Albatross or Stila Wheat and it brings out the bluetones. Thunderball is super pigmented and silky smooth to apply and is described on the NARS and Sephora website as "midnight grey".

Click "continued" for pictures:

continued >>

on 9/23/2008 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a highly pigmented gorgeous grey-blue color. Like the previous reviewer, I am wearing as liner today with my NARS best of Nordstrom palette and it makes a great statement with neutrals. I have also worn as a crease color and just a dab will do ya! Its so so very pigmented and vibrant, soft and luxurious. This will last forever because its so finely milled and strong but if I ever ran out I would get again. I wasn't initially impressed with it in the pan (it bored me) but once I used it I understood the reason its so highly rated. Highly recommend!

on 9/21/2008 5:17:00 PM

Gorgeous deep dark teal. I use this as liner and it is very subtle, but makes my hazel eyes look oh-so-much brighter and greener. I've owned it for a while now, but my love for this was rekindled when the MA used it on me when I purchased the Best of Nars palette. It's just that perfect little pop of something to add a little spark of color to a polished neutral look.

on 9/11/2008 10:18:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

IMO, Thunderball is one the most flattering eyeshadows for brown eyes. This is an elegant and quite dark greyish blue. I find that NARS eyeshadows are way better than MAC and Dior ones in terms of pigmentation.

on 9/8/2007 8:42:00 PM

This isn't quite like MAC's Plumage. Plumage is a very dark blue with a grey undertone that shows up slightly greenish on me (I have light, yellow-toned skin). Thunderball is a super-dark, true cobalt gray with no green in it. It makes a great liner, dark enough to look good on me but the touch of blue-grey warms up my dark eyes and is a bit softer than pure black. I used this with a touch of saline solution the other day and it did smear onto my bottom lid slightly and fade a bit, but I'm thinking it'll be less of a problem if I use Visine (I ran out recently). Very pigmented, but also silky-smooth and easy to blend and smoke out. I really like this color--you would think it'd be easy to dupe, but I haven't come across anything quite like it yet.

Top Rated NARS Products