April 19, 2014 | 1779 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Sunflowers

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 12:56:00 PM More reviews by sekhmet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This isn't a bad fragrance, I just don't care for it personally. Reviewers who like Sunflowers seem to feel that it is sunny and warm, and I just don't get that vibe from it at all. To me, it smells (as some other reviewers have said) more like the ocean than a field of flowers, and this particular rendition of that scent tends to make me feel melancholy rather than cheerful. Having said that, after giving this to my mom, I find that it smells nice on her. But then my mother has always had a naturally beautiful scent!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/10/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by gwenwalls

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Loved this scent in college (in the 90s) because it was one of the few EA scents that smelled youthful to me, and I thought that I was being so awesome for not wearing Vanilla Fields and all the other drugstore fragrances popular at the time. After about a year of wearing it, I realized how yucky this scent is on me! Bleah, like most of EA's fragrances, too strong, and too much!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2012 11:25:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My mom used to use this and I was never a fan. Then again knowing my distaste of floral scents, it doesn’t surprise me. I will not purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by MissBehaviour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am completely baffled at the overall low rating for this product when much more expensive fragrances that seem to have fallen off the blandwagon of modern perfumery rake in an 80% + approval rating... that aside, this was not a cheap drugstore scent when it was first launched and it in no way smells cheap today despite the bargainous price. Don't let its lack of overpriced marketing campaigns fool you into thinking that this isn't worth trying.

I never wore Sunflowers in the early 90s (when I was a teenager) because I was a staunch CK One disciple at the time. My loss, because Sunflowers is that rare fragrance creature: a scent both floral and sweet without being a bludgeoner or in any way cloying, an EDT with better sillage and lasting power than most modern luxury perfumes, and a smell that is suited to every age range, stage in life, and many occasions.

It smells radiant, positive, a little citrussy, a little flowery, feminine but not insipid, simply very, very nice. I can see this one working as a pick-me-up in winter and as a delightful floral refresher on a hot day. This one's a keeper in my permanent fragrance lineup.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this scent! It's perfect for those who don't like overwhelming floral "feminine" scents. This is a clean, light, airy scent with notes of citrus. It's great for those who want to wear perfume without smelling like an artificial rose garden. It's happy scent that will transport you to lazy & carefree summer days with clear blue skies.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by RubberBandMan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a sweet floral that comes off as soapy or clean. It's not linear but is relatively simple in composure. I don't think that this scent fits a particular age group, it can be worn by anyone. Other reviewers have said this smells like hay....I don't think it really smells like hay, but it does have a slightly warm quality to it. It's not a sterile, laundry kind of soapy but a warm, clean kind of soapy. I didn't detect any musk in the dry down (I don't like musk). After about four hours the scent will probably need re-application. It doesn't disappear entirely but it lies very close to the skin after this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by hadas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

In 1994 I was still a teenager. Kurt Cobain had just died and everyone in my high school was reeling, and a few months later 'My So Called Life' appeared on television, giving voice to our deeply entrenched, '90s teen alterna-angst. As for me, I had never been much into perfume, had never even bought a bottle for myself. I remember flipping through a People magazine at home that year and seeing the Sunflowers ad; it also came with a small scent strip, which I opened and sniffed. Oh wow, this was unique! The scent blew my mind - the first scent to ever do so. It felt so fresh and lighthearted and joyful, and the ad copy reinforced that message. It was not marketed to teens, but to young mothers and contemporary women who found joy in nature, sunlight, and life's simple pleasures. I kept the scent strip for months and sniffed it all the time.

Well, for Christmas that year my father gave me a 1.7 oz bottle of Sunflowers. I loved it *so* much and I adored the sunniness of the box - the original double box which they haven't produced for a long time. My bottle of Sunflowers was my absolute favorite gift that Christmas, I cherished it deeply and wore it every day. And I would always just randomly pop the cap off the bottle and sniff it, just as a little pick me up throughout the day. There was nothing else I wanted to smell, and nothing more that I wanted to smell like. The smell is bright, lemony citrus, combined with aqueous melon/cucumber notes, undergirded by jasmine and rose. The fragrance took my breath away, it was considered very distinctive and beautiful at that time. My tastes have changed dramatically in 17 years...my favorite scents now are mostly vintage chypres made decades before i was born, like Mitsouko & Ma Griffe. Yet every Christmas - which was yesterday - I always develop a craving for Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden, because the smell takes me back to the utter joy and elation I felt to receive a bottle of it back on Christmas in '94.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by apricotcloud

Don't understand all the hate for this product... I just got a bottle today for Christmas from my other half and have to admit it is simply beautiful!

I can really see me wearing this and little else in the spring with a nice sunny tan and glossy pink lips... it really makes you dream of hazy hot lazy days in the grass and idyllic summers on the hot floating sand.

Uhhhh it's very poetic!

<3 LOVE.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by buds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I recently tried this on my wrist and can't wait to get it washed off. It's just too overpowering and literally stinks. I was embarassed to be walking around with such a horrid smell. Took several washes to get rid of it as it's really strong.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2011 4:29:00 AM More reviews by arwynundomiel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an undeniably happy fragrance. It's light, airy and smells like what a field of sunflowers make you feel. There are splashes of lemon, orange blossom, melon, peach, rose and jasmine, along with a host of others. When I wear this, I see white linens drying on clotheslines, sandy beaches in the Hamptons, sun on green grass and a Nantucket blue and white striped lighthouse in the distance. Sunflowers is not a strong perfume, but melts into a soft scent that invites you to breathe a little deeper. Now to be honest, I don't want to live every day in Cape Cod, so this isn't a perfume I reach for regularly. It's sweet and pretty, but it just isn't interesting enough for me. I like a perfume that makes me need to buy it, rather than just be inclined to. But all that is personal preference and we all know opinions about scents are highly subjective. I do like Sunflowers, especially when I've gone very preppy with my outfit, and will probably buy it again. It's not horrendously expensive, especially when shopping on Ebay, which I may or may not do with alarming regularity.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No