April 19, 2014 | 951 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Red Door

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Red Door is a BIG, classic, fragrance for women (not girls of all ages who like to smell like fruit, cupcakes or waterlilies), but women. It really works well on women who smoke. My now ex-husband (we were still newlyweds at the time) surprised me with this back in the early nineties. He said he loved the way it smelled on another woman. This made me do a little sleuthing and... turns out, he was cheating on me. I really like this lush, bombastic, oily, rose (red and white) floriental -very much the one last big kick at the BIG fragrances of the 1980's can. BUT, I can't wear it because no matter how lightly I apply it, it wears me. I do smile whenever I see it or smell it though. It always reminds me of how I walked out the (Red) Door with my head held high.
This fragrance is so distinct, it merits the title of classic. It is a rose fragrance, very similar to YSL Paris. The main difference between the two is YSL Paris is a big bright jammy fruity extroverted rose, Red Door is a darker, oily, introverted rose. A rose tempered with carnation and wood and sweetened with honey. I wore it when it was first released. Lately, I have been craving fragrances that have gone "out of favor" so to speak so, I got my hot little hands a little bottle of parfum as a keepsake and a tube of perfumed body lotion. I do use the perfumed body lotion moisturizes my painfully dry hands at the end of my nursing shift. The fragrance is like aromatherapy at the end of a night shift. It never fails to make at least one person say: "oh my God, what smells so good?"

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by VeroniqueDubois

I associate this fragrance with wannabe rich snobby middle-aged woman. It is not really the perfume's fault. I finally figured out, by trying a sample from The Bay, that this is the perfume that was worn by a lot of the snooty female patrons in a high-end restaurant I used to work in. The smell of it ended up mixing with shrimp and egg from the fancy brunches and sticking in my nose for too long, making me nauseated. Even worn as a sample years later now and without being around food, all I smell is shrimp, eggs, and snobbery.

Reviewing this perfume objectively may not be possible for me, just like a few others who said that they associated it with a cruel teacher who had worn it daily, for example . After putting on a sample, I found myself unable to eat unable to eat for hours later until I had to wash it off, because as some have said, it does promote nausea in certain individuals. I guess Red Door is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

This is a high end fragrance that was very idealized at my household. Every woman in the family owned a bottle. It's a floral scent, a very strong one, that has amazing staying power. It smells great, very mature and refined.
I don't use it anymore since my taste in perfume has changed ( I now preffer the muskier vanilla- wooden scents), but I still recommend it. You can't go wrong with Red Door.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2013 10:25:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I don't get all the hate for this fragrance. Yes it is quite a dated scent, but applied sparingly is is just a sweet powdery fragrance. Not a sugary sweet like so many perfumes you can get today, but some sort of floral sweetness. It is quite cloying but it is not as offensive as Estee Lauder's Youth Dew (which catches in the back of the throat and can be smelled from several rooms away).

A lot of the bad reviews here mention someone the reviewer knew who wore way too much of it, hence the bad memories and bad reviews. Red Door is not something I would choose to wear myself but it is not a bad fragrance, I just prefer something less powdery.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/1/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by uhlizubeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I know I know. This scent is Strong and "makes you sick." I know what it's like because i'm one of those people who hates old lady perfumes and very synthetic and floral fragrances.
However, I do not think the above about Red Door. I agree with one of the reviewers that said the scent is SEXY! My 21 year old boyfriend was the first to tell me this. I think it's a very femenine scent, not mature in a grandma way but in a 20-30 year old WOMAN way. When I have it on I feel like a woman rather than a young adult. I think a tiny bit goes well with my body chemistry, only in very small doses on very rare occasions.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by sarahfeeni

I truly despise this perfume, and its not just because a strict former teacher wore it and wore A LOT of it. To me this is the quintessential bad "perfume smell" perfume that makes me feel ill when I smell it. I find nothing redeeming about it at all. Though, I do understand some people's references to it taking them back to simpler times in the 80's and 90's. I do get that. but I'd prefer to get a subtle whiff on my moms sweater and not actually wear it myself.

I am not sure which perfume I like less, this or Tresor by Lancome. Both are just terrible. I actually grew up hating perfume because i didn't know that perfume could actually smell good based on my grandmother and this teacher of mine. man. so bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by cadej1998

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Will always love this perfume, was my Aunt Doris(Doe Doe's) signature in the '90's when I was younger, so it's now a comfort fragrance for me when I am really down. Red Door is heavy on the red roses, honey, sandalwood and jasmine. Like it, hate it, whatever, it has now become a classic that takes many of us back to simpler, better times....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by lizfiz50

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think my mother-in-law secretly hates me. I got it for Christmas and I sprayed it once to test it. It gave me the worst migraine ever. The scent was also hard to get rid of. Once the fabric it touched came into contact with anything else, this vile scent latched on to anything else. Took a week before that horrid beast faded away.

If you like this stuff, please be aware it causes other people to get sick, seriously! Use with extreme caution!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2013 7:16:00 PM More reviews by swooz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this, but as some have said, it's not something I wear every day. I can normally find it on the cheap at an outlet or Marshalls-like store. It is a heavier scent that smells like a cross between a musk and a floral to me. If you like oriental scents, you may like this. If you like lighter, sweet, or true floral scents, probably not. The scent has good staying power. Every guy I've ever known has loved it. My last bottle broke in my gym bag and I haven't yet replaced it because I have a few other scents to work through, but every time I open my bag, I love the smell.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by madelinekay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

smells like jam and rotten fruit - Yuk!