November 27, 2014 | 1245 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Red Door

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by laurenmf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This perfume floats around me like a warm, comforting cloud! I love tuberose and I get a lot of it in this perfume. Everyone else seems to think it smells serious or "old" (how does a perfume smell old? Old is an value of time, not a smell), but I think it smells amazing! I could wear this anytime of the year, although I have only used it in cold weather. I have so many perfumes that I don't wear this all the time, but it is in serious rotation. Very beautiful!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 3:33:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I adore Red Door. Every time I use this I smell the bottle first, say omg I love this, then spray. I just love it so much. It smells vintage, like I like so to me this type of fragrance is just right. A timeless classic in my opinion. Great lasting power, too. One spray and I'm good-to-go.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I edited my review, I am on the fence with this one, sometimes I think it smells cheap and chemical , other times it smells ok. my nose has been spoiled perhaps by Madini oils.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

An all-business perfume, no doubt, one that reminds me of a mature lady, all suits, hair back in a bun, clothes dry-cleaned and ironed, sharply dressed. I couldn't wear this fragrance any other time. Or so I thought. It always seemed too serious for me.
The straight tuberous hits hard in the beginning for me but is deliciously and creamily mellowed by the additional notes. On me, it's as if the tuberose is fully wrapped around by everything else. You know, it's there, it's a strong element, but it's also mellowed for about 2 or so hours.
Then Red Door turns to a completely different perfume than its original scent on me. It becomes a spicy, honeyed powder that's still strong and enjoyable. The florals disappear and Red Door becomes a full-blown oriental on me. What a change-over.
An interesting perfume this becomes that lasts for hours upon hours. Sillage sits comfortable around you like a floating cloud if Red Door agrees with you. That is the key to this perfume. It's a powerhouse that will knock the socks off the people around you if it doesn't agree with your body chemistry. I'm glad it turns into a wonderfully spicy oriental on me.
Day Two of wearing it I received compliments on the perfume I was wearing. Even tho I had never tried Red Door before, always avoiding it, I had decided to take the plunge and try it. I had a generous sample to last me for a few days so I decided to wear it again and see how I felt about this classic. On Day Three a woman shopping for perfumes complimented me and asked me for suggestions for herself. Go figure. Red Door must agree with me then if another woman asked for suggestions on perfumes. I guess it does suit me (pun intended) after all. Kinda grows on you surreptitiously.
Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Plum, Violet, Peach, Anise, Rose.
Middle Notes: Honey, Carnation, Tuberose, Orchid, Freesia, Lily, Ylang-Ylang, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Benzoin, Vetiver, Heliotrope, Cedar.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 10:43:00 PM More reviews by luckylouie

I wish I could tick maybe for repurchasing this. I was given a small rollerball bottle of this for my birthday in August. It is indeed a powerhouse perfume, heavy floral with carnation and smells like honey on me. It actually smells quite similar to Spellbound by Estee Lauder as they both have that honey note. Many people have given me compliments when wearing this, so it really is a perfume that comes down to two things: your body chemistry and how much you put on. Some perfumes seem to work with a wide range of people, others smell absolutely fantastic on a few people, passable on some, and vile on most. This is one of those. I think the reason this has such a bad reputation is that so many people give it to others as a gift so that a large number of people it doesn't suit end up wearing it. If it smells good on you, use it sparingly. It can induce headaches in some people very quickly. It also has fantastic sillage so long after you can smell it on yourself, other people can still smell it on you. Another reason it ends up with a bad reputation. You really don't need to reapply this during the day! I probably won't repurchase because although it smells good on me, I'm not in love with it and I want to keep my number of perfumes down.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by jenglen007

I asked a lady who comes into my place of work what perfume she wears and she said Red Door, the only reason I asked her was so i would know what to avoid. This is vile, it actually smells like the toilet cleaner Frish which i bought to let the girls in work smell and they all agree that it does smell identical.

Not only is it vile it also gives me a stonker of a headache. I would ask anyone who does wear this to consider the rest of the population and stop lol

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

Ahhh the memories of this little Red Door :-) I used to wear the heck out of this stuff but my body chemistry changed and now it makes me smell like I've been out hunting for three days and drinking brandy the entire time...in other words, IT STINKS!!!! lol I do have an entire bottle sitting up on my dresser looking cute. It's been there since the 90's. Wonder what it smells like now...hmmm Yes, I have good memories of this scent (used oh so sparingly) but would never ever attempt to walk out of my house wearing it now.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2013 6:06:00 PM More reviews by triyab

Oh my gosh! I am so depressed reading these negative reviews of such a classic and amazing fragrance. I'm just 20 years old, and of course I'm not old. Someone gifted this perfume to my mum but since she didn't like heavy scents, she gave it to me, and I've been wearing it since I was 17, and I loved it. I am also not one to go for heavier scents but this one was special. It is a classic. It smells spicy, and like honey, and also a bit floral, but not a cheap floral - a good floral!
I recently finished the perfume (I use it very sparingly) and am now looking to repurchase since this is my signature evening scent.
I have very fond memories of this because my crush who never ever noticed me complimented me when I was wearing this !!!!! What else do you need,???

I will suggest that you try this perfume out before dismissing it, it can work amazingly for you and you will never want to leave it at all.!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Red Door is a BIG, classic, fragrance for women (not girls of all ages who like to smell like fruit, cupcakes or waterlilies), but women. It really works well on women who smoke. My now ex-husband (we were still newlyweds at the time) surprised me with this back in the early nineties. He said he loved the way it smelled on another woman. This made me do a little sleuthing and... turns out, he was cheating on me. I really like this lush, bombastic, oily, rose (red and white) floriental -very much the one last big kick at the BIG fragrances of the 1980's can. BUT, I can't wear it because no matter how lightly I apply it, it wears me. I do smile whenever I see it or smell it though. It always reminds me of how I walked out the (Red) Door with my head held high.
This fragrance is so distinct, it merits the title of classic. It is a rose fragrance, very similar to YSL Paris. The main difference between the two is YSL Paris is a big bright jammy fruity extroverted rose, Red Door is a darker, oily, introverted rose. A rose tempered with carnation and wood and sweetened with honey. I wore it when it was first released. Lately, I have been craving fragrances that have gone "out of favor" so to speak so, I got my hot little hands a little bottle of parfum as a keepsake and a tube of perfumed body lotion. I do use the perfumed body lotion moisturizes my painfully dry hands at the end of my nursing shift. The fragrance is like aromatherapy at the end of a night shift. It never fails to make at least one person say: "oh my God, what smells so good?"

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by VeroniqueDubois

I associate this fragrance with wannabe rich snobby middle-aged woman. It is not really the perfume's fault. I finally figured out, by trying a sample from The Bay, that this is the perfume that was worn by a lot of the snooty female patrons in a high-end restaurant I used to work in. The smell of it ended up mixing with shrimp and egg from the fancy brunches and sticking in my nose for too long, making me nauseated. Even worn as a sample years later now and without being around food, all I smell is shrimp, eggs, and snobbery.

Reviewing this perfume objectively may not be possible for me, just like a few others who said that they associated it with a cruel teacher who had worn it daily, for example . After putting on a sample, I found myself unable to eat unable to eat for hours later until I had to wash it off, because as some have said, it does promote nausea in certain individuals. I guess Red Door is not for me.