April 17, 2014 | 1829 users online

Conditioner - Paul Mitchell - The Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 10:00:00 AM More reviews by LauraDonskoy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My Holy Grail, especially in winter - this conditioner is one of the most effective products against static hair I've ever tried. It can be used on wet or dry hair. It can even be used as a moisturiser for the skin (works lovely on dry hands or legs). It helped me to grow my hair long.
One negative thing about it, is that if you use it on dry hair it makes it a little bit more matt, reduces shine. And they could improve the packaging. When you use it for longer time, the cap inside gets blocked up with the product. It's irritating to clean that little hole inside the cap after each application!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 12:24:00 AM More reviews by BeachCityBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG status!

Overview:

Now I haven't tried a ton of different leave-ins on my natural 3c / corkscrew / curly -coily hair, but I'll compare this to my other love - Kinky-Curly Knot Today. While KCKT is moisturizing, it's not too special and I seem to go through it quickly - the big plus for KCKT is that it's all natural. Well Paul Mitchell The Conditioner is not all natural, but it works better and is slightly cheaper, plus I only need a little. It smells like Blue Magic Hair Grease (and funnily enough - it's the same color) so I'm not a huge fan of that, but I get over it since the smell doesn't linger.

Slip: I give this an 8.5. I don't try to detangle too much with my leave-ins - I just rake them through, but this is definitely more slippery than KCKT.

Moisture: 9. I might actually try it as my rinse out. I always use a hard hold gel (and scrunch out the crunchiness after it dries), but this conditioner acts as a great buffer between the gel and my hair. My hair is SOFT after I SOTC and stays moisturized until I wash again.

Ingredients: Another 8.5. Well I love to use natural products as much as the next person (I'm a health junkie period). But I must say in this product's defense - it is not full of "junk" ingredients, it's well formulated. There are chemicals, but what else is new? The sillicones are water-soluble (no build-up and no shampoo needed for curly girls), and it does have some pretty nice natural extracts in there as well.

Also it's protein and glycerin free which means its safe for me to use constantly and year round. Protein can build up and make my hair dry and glycerin is not good to use in dry weather.

Price: 10. Same price as KCKT, but more product. I'm reasonable when it comes to price and don't rate something down just because it's not under $5.

Availability: 10. I don't like to have to order stuff online and I can get this from a beauty supply store close to me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by violet_avalon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been a pleasant surprise! First of all, I had no idea this was a leave-in conditioner when I bought it and, as I don't have much experience with leave-in conditioners, I was afraid it would make my fine, limp hair a greasy mess. I have to be honest and say that I don't enjoy the experience of using it. I get out of the shower with clean but super tangled hair, rinse it a little and apply this. It has a pretty light blue gel consistency and the scent is not terrible but it's not great either. I apply only a little blob, mostly to the ends of my hair and then I leave it alone for a while. Afterwards, I use the tangle teezer or a comb to untangle the hair and sometimes there is white residue from the conditioner that almost makes me want to rinse it, but I have to resist.
Even though I get no pleasure from this application, the truth is the next morning (I wash my hair at night) my hair is super shiny, feels lightweight and looks great and healthy. It doesn't feel super smooth and it doesn't smell amazing but it looks the part and for this I really rate this product.
In an ideal world, this would have less nasty chemicals and we'd have a perfect product. I mean DMDM Hydantoin *yikes*...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by rachvt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I have damaged, dry, highlighted hair and about 20% gray. When I first bought this last summer, I thought it was a fantastic product. I have fine thin hair and I need a conditioner that moisturises my processed hair whilst not weighing it down at the same time. This seemed to do just the job. But now I am not loving this stuff anymore. It just isn't moisturising enough. Maybe it's because my hair has become even drier and more processed as a result of regular hair colouring and highlighting. In the last few months I've noticed just how frizzy my hair has become, and even after increasing the amount I use of this stuff, my hair is still frizzy and dry and difficult to comb through. If I increase the amount I use even more, my hair goes flat and limp. Yuck. So I find it very hard to get the right amount for my hair type. I noticed that this is not moisturising enough for my daughter's naturally curly, unprocessed hair which is prone to frizz. It makes her hair even drier than ever. And it's so weird right, because in my efforts to detangle her hair with this stuff, I kept increasing the amount until her hair is just saturated with this... and still! It is a gigantic knotty mess. What a nightmare. I have stopped using this on her hair now and instead use a better rinse-out conditioner for her curly, dry locks. Much better now.

As for me, I have switched over to another conditioner now - a rinse-out conditioner from TiGi which is designed for colour-treated hair. And I notice the difference from the first time I use it. No more frizz. And that's when I realise just how drying this Paul Mitchell Conditioner has been for my kind of hair. It might be fine for someone with normal, unprocessed hair or someone who doesn't highlight or use any bleach on their hair regularly. But for me, this is no longer the right product for my hair type.

Oh and the container is quite annoying. Its in an upright plastic bottle which is not easy to squeeze out of (unless the container is at least half full with the stuff), and the dispenser is a flip-top cap with two tiny tiny holes which often get clogged up with dried up product. I find I have to declog the cap with a sharp thin thing like a pin or a needle, in order to dispense the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 10:22:00 PM More reviews by starlamelissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this leave in. I have been using it regularly for 2 years. I like the smell, cucumber/basalm/fresh and the consistancy. I use a quarter sized amount in my towel dried hair, smoothing from the midshaft to the ends. My hair is tailbone length, thick, and color treated. I find this helps me detangle, and I use it as a lotion to touch up my hair on non-wash days. It freshens my hair and prevents dryness. (I use a pea sized amount in my dry hair, towards the ends only) You would need to use a handfull to get limp or greasy hair, its just a lightweight thin gel formula. Its blue and fresh and the best!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by riley020202

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have, afro textured, coily-curly hair. I LOVED this stuff! I didn't need to use half the bottle like the drugstore leave-ins. My hair was shiny, curly without frizz, not stringy and not weighed down. It distributed through my hair like a dream. I was able to finger through my hair without a comb. The smell? Doesn't bother me. I will continue to buy this from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 3:52:00 PM More reviews by mynismo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I bought this because a hair dresser recommended it and I was going through ever leave in conditioner I could find.

5yrs later I am still using it daily. This product actually puts moisture into your hair and doesn't give it that oily weighted down feeling most of the other have. I pretty much saturate my bleached fried straightened hair with this stuff just after a shower (I have black hair which I bleach blonde) and it has definitly improved the condition of my hair.

Oh it also makes a fantastic skin moisturiser and soaks into some of the hard dry skin that some of my body lotions wont.

I also use a serum or an oil after this has dried in my hair as I find this is an actual moisturiser without the grease factor so for those of us wanting that shiny satiny feel you do need to add that step.

I assume that is why this product has some bad review as there are people who are used to leave in conditioners which are more on the serum side.

But you should anyway shampoo condition moisturise and then seal with an oil/serum anyways =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Awesome leave in. I have a hard time finding a good leave in since I need moisture, but cant stand anything heavy that will weigh my hair down/take away volume/ make scalp oily. This is does exacly what the morrocan oil leave in could not do (too heavy/not enough moisture).

As others have described this is a light blue gel with an odd scent (it doesn't last). I put it on wet hair and let it air dry along with a little bit of morrocan hair serum and voila perfect frizz free curls. Hair is soo soft. I can run my fingers through my curly hair. I can also use this if i am blow drying my hair (less quantity to preserve volume)

I side benefit of this is I find myself not having to do deep conditioning treatments since i have begun to use this daily.

Paul Mitchell is also and has always been cruelty free :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by bos101

This is brilliant! I have been using this as a leave in before blow drying alternatively to using Morrocan Oil, as i can't afford to use Morrocan Oil everytime I wash. I actually prefer my hair after using this than the oil!! I would'nt re-purchase the oil, but would re-purchase this, as it's reasonably priced and lasts ages as you only need a small amount. Leaves my hair very soft, shiny and easy to style.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by TequilaaSantos

I really like this product it helped my hair a lot after damage from bleaching. I can finally run my hands in my hair and its so shiny. Smell of this stuff, not so great. But for what it did to my hair I would buy it again.