MAC Frost - Sable

4.6

on 5/26/2013 9:47:00 PM

EDIT: I LOVE SABLE! Why the change of heart you ask? For two reasons... 1. I got a tan. 2. I scraped the top layer of the eyeshadow off and underneath the texture was much better. When I was at my palest (NC15) this eyeshadow did absolutely nothing for me... but I've been hanging by the pool a bit this summer and now I'm about an NC20 and it looks beautiful! My favorite way to wear it is Sable packed on the lid and into the crease blended out with a little Soft Brown and Vanilla to highlight. It's gorgeous! My best advice to anyone interested in Sable is give it a try... but very fair gals proceed with caution.

I wanted to love this... I just don't. I bought a pan of Sable, then gave it away... and bought it for the second time because I thought maybe I had a dud. Both had so-so pigmentation and I don't the texture. It's dry and although it is a frost there isn't much detectable shimmer when packed on the lid. It just looks like this drab boring reddish smear on my eye. Don't get me wrong, I love MAC eyeshadows... Of the 80 or so that I own this is one of my least used. Come to think of it, everytime I try to use Sable I end up just wiping it off and starting over. I think it may look better on darker skin. I am NC15 for reference...

on 4/5/2013 8:24:00 PM

A lovely plummy colour!

Price: $16 CAD
Colour: midtone plummy brown
Finish: soft shimmer with coppery sheen
Pigmentation: medium
Texture: buttery

This is a lovely colour for brown and green eyes for it has both purple and coppery undertones
I love pairing this with champagne or light-ish gold colours for a subtle day time smokey looks.

on 3/6/2013 12:25:00 PM

I got this color thinking that it would be a similar color/dupe for Urban Decay's Toasted. It looks nothing like Toasted. Toasted is a warm taupe shade that is closer to Satin Taupe. The pigmentation and texture of this shadow is alright but nothing that blows me away. All in all it's a nice reddish brown shimmer shade, if that is what you are looking for.

on 2/20/2013 1:44:00 PM

Lovely on the lids with Mulch in the outer v, Black Tied lining upper lid, and a tiny bit of Sable under the eyes with a touch of brown liner (I used Estee Lauder walnut brown). This was a nice natural but polished look for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will look with Shroom on the lid, Sable in the crease, or Sable alone all over the eye, as some of the reviewers suggested. This is a nice warm color that works well with green eyes. By the way, the image above of the eye with the color on the lid is the most accurate representation of what Sable really looks like.

on 2/17/2013 6:09:00 PM

A lovely colour, looks great when I'm pale or tan. To me it's a gorgeous shimmery plummy brown. I tend to wear wear it on it's own during the day but pair it with handwritten when I want something a bit more dramatic. It works well with my blue grey eyes but I could see it working very well on just about any eye colour or skin tone for that matter. It also lasts very well on me and I've never experienced any fall out.

One of my most used colors!! Sable looks so pretty on my olive green eyes (pale skin NC15ish for reference). The color is hard to describe really. To me it's a frosty brown with a hint of silver, red, and purple. Normally, I would run from something with red or purple undertones, but this one works well for me. I will say that I only wear it on my lid and crease, as it is not a good color to use on my lower lash line area. My favorite way to wear it is over Shroom as the base (and Shroom applied over ELDW fndt or MAC Paint in Bare Canvas). I use my MAC 227 large fluff brush to apply the Shroom all over the lid/crease pretty much in one fell swoop ... this is the largest eye shadow brush I have ever seen or used! This brush actually covers my entire lid. <3 Then I apply the Sable to my lid with the 213 or 252, packing it on. Next I use the 224 for the crease, going back and forth in a windshield wiper motion, then bringing it out just a tad to elongate the eye. (Being the 224 is a little big for my small lid space, I only press it ever so lightly in the outer v area, but don't use a v motion. More like a tiny circular motion to elongate). Very beautiful! I have also used Sable straight up (on my lid) over my ELDW fndt, and blended out with Patina. I used Black Tied to line the outer third of my upper lash line, and also on my outer fourth of my lower lash line. Wowza!! This is obviously much much more bold wearing it like this, as opposed to using Shroom as a base. I really love this color and will repurchase over and over!

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Sable is a warm reddish shade with a frost finish. Not too red though, just a tad. I honestly don't see any plummy-ness to it, but maybe it's just my eyes or the lighting, dunno.

I wasn't too impressed with it though. The pigmentation is a bit poor, you really need to pack on the color for it to show up. It runs more as a pinkish brown on my lids. And unless you really pack it on, this will fade a bit within a few hours. Blends easily though, I guess because it's not so pigmented.

Still, it's not a complete disappointment in itself, just compared to other shades I own by MAC it is.

Suggested Look:
I use this on the two inner thirds of my lid, Artdeco Glam Stars e/s #647 on the outer third and Brun+Carbon on the outer V. Looks very beautiful and suitable for a simple night out look.

I bought this since I knew it had a red tinge to it so it can bring out the blue of my contact lenses, which it didn't accomplish, so I won't be repurchasing. I don't highly recommend it, but it's worth a shot it might look good on other skin tones/eye colors.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Sable is one of my favourite shadows from MAC. It looks amazing with green eyes. It's a perfect daytime look on the lid with a darker brown in the crease behind my glasses, or in the crease with Arena on the lid. I'm mostly a purple girl, but Sable just makes me coo.

on 12/22/2012 8:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This does an amazing job as a crease color. It really works up to color. Don't get me wrong though this can be a lovely daytime look. So, even if you don't want a dramatic look you CAN use this. If you don't have this already I urge you to try this out at your local MAC counter and you WILL fall in love :-)

on 11/29/2012 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

A beautiful, everyday wearable color that looks good on almost every skintone and eye color. Its what I would called a midtone, warm brown with a frost finish. Dark enough to add depth in the crease against a lighter color like All that Glitters on a lighter skintone (NC40NW30 or below) or can put light enough as a wash on the lid and still be wearable for day. If your skintone is darker (above NC 42/NW35) you can wear this as a more natural lid color and pair something darker in the crease for everyday. This color is really pretty as a wash on the NW40 through 45 range. Gives the lids just a lil natural color and glow, kind of what All that Glitters does for lighter skintones. Sable is pretty neutral if the fact that you can wear it with any color...other browns, blues, coppers, purples...and it looks good. I like it paired with purples best myself as I feel like it pulls out some of the purple undertones in the shadow. Paired against pinks, like Swish, it gives more softness to the shade. Great color to try if you like Mulch and want something softer and like a more frosty finish. A sister to Satin Taupe, another popular MAC shade....most who like Satin Taupe tend to like Sable. Sable is just slightly lighter and more brown whereas, Satin Taupe is the more taupey, grey tone with a lil more depth.