April 19, 2014 | 809 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Sable

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2013 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Amy22

A lovely colour, looks great when I'm pale or tan. To me it's a gorgeous shimmery plummy brown. I tend to wear wear it on it's own during the day but pair it with handwritten when I want something a bit more dramatic. It works well with my blue grey eyes but I could see it working very well on just about any eye colour or skin tone for that matter. It also lasts very well on me and I've never experienced any fall out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2013 12:02:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of my most used colors!! Sable looks so pretty on my olive green eyes (pale skin NC15ish for reference). The color is hard to describe really. To me it's a frosty brown with a hint of silver, red, and purple. Normally, I would run from something with red or purple undertones, but this one works well for me. I will say that I only wear it on my lid and crease, as it is not a good color to use on my lower lash line area. My favorite way to wear it is over Shroom as the base (and Shroom applied over ELDW fndt or MAC Paint in Bare Canvas). I use my MAC 227 large fluff brush to apply the Shroom all over the lid/crease pretty much in one fell swoop ... this is the largest eye shadow brush I have ever seen or used! This brush actually covers my entire lid. <3 Then I apply the Sable to my lid with the 213 or 252, packing it on. Next I use the 224 for the crease, going back and forth in a windshield wiper motion, then bringing it out just a tad to elongate the eye. (Being the 224 is a little big for my small lid space, I only press it ever so lightly in the outer v area, but don't use a v motion. More like a tiny circular motion to elongate). Very beautiful! I have also used Sable straight up (on my lid) over my ELDW fndt, and blended out with Patina. I used Black Tied to line the outer third of my upper lash line, and also on my outer fourth of my lower lash line. Wowza!! This is obviously much much more bold wearing it like this, as opposed to using Shroom as a base. I really love this color and will repurchase over and over!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Sable is a warm reddish shade with a frost finish. Not too red though, just a tad. I honestly don't see any plummy-ness to it, but maybe it's just my eyes or the lighting, dunno.

I wasn't too impressed with it though. The pigmentation is a bit poor, you really need to pack on the color for it to show up. It runs more as a pinkish brown on my lids. And unless you really pack it on, this will fade a bit within a few hours. Blends easily though, I guess because it's not so pigmented.

Still, it's not a complete disappointment in itself, just compared to other shades I own by MAC it is.

Suggested Look:
I use this on the two inner thirds of my lid, Artdeco Glam Stars e/s #647 on the outer third and Brun+Carbon on the outer V. Looks very beautiful and suitable for a simple night out look.

I bought this since I knew it had a red tinge to it so it can bring out the blue of my contact lenses, which it didn't accomplish, so I won't be repurchasing. I don't highly recommend it, but it's worth a shot it might look good on other skin tones/eye colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Sable is one of my favourite shadows from MAC. It looks amazing with green eyes. It's a perfect daytime look on the lid with a darker brown in the crease behind my glasses, or in the crease with Arena on the lid. I'm mostly a purple girl, but Sable just makes me coo.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 8:11:00 PM More reviews by RoseJade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This does an amazing job as a crease color. It really works up to color. Don't get me wrong though this can be a lovely daytime look. So, even if you don't want a dramatic look you CAN use this. If you don't have this already I urge you to try this out at your local MAC counter and you WILL fall in love :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A beautiful, everyday wearable color that looks good on almost every skintone and eye color. Its what I would called a midtone, warm brown with a frost finish. Dark enough to add depth in the crease against a lighter color like All that Glitters on a lighter skintone (NC40NW30 or below) or can put light enough as a wash on the lid and still be wearable for day. If your skintone is darker (above NC 42/NW35) you can wear this as a more natural lid color and pair something darker in the crease for everyday. This color is really pretty as a wash on the NW40 through 45 range. Gives the lids just a lil natural color and glow, kind of what All that Glitters does for lighter skintones. Sable is pretty neutral if the fact that you can wear it with any color...other browns, blues, coppers, purples...and it looks good. I like it paired with purples best myself as I feel like it pulls out some of the purple undertones in the shadow. Paired against pinks, like Swish, it gives more softness to the shade. Great color to try if you like Mulch and want something softer and like a more frosty finish. A sister to Satin Taupe, another popular MAC shade....most who like Satin Taupe tend to like Sable. Sable is just slightly lighter and more brown whereas, Satin Taupe is the more taupey, grey tone with a lil more depth.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2012 9:29:00 AM More reviews by TexasTracy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

C3/NC20/NC25 here...I really wanted this color to look like the 3rd and 7th photo but unfortunately, my lids pull a greyish purple color and not in a good way...more like a muddy color. I've been trying to make it work as a lid and crease color but find that I have to blend too many other colors with it to make it presentable and then when it finally does look ok, it's the other colors that look good and Sable is just meh...

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2012 6:16:00 PM More reviews by onar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I like it so much and i combine it with Mac Cranberry e/s on the crease. I expected more but i am satisfied from this product...Texture and quality the best!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by sizza911

Gorgeous! I love Sable! I gave away my Naked palette to a co-worker (Yes, I gave it away! But at least I know someone will use it.) but I missed the Toasted color. Although I liked the shade Toasted , the finish was just too shimmery on me. Sable has a nice sheen but not the frosted sparkle that Toasted had on me. I use it as a lid color blended up with MAC Grain into the crease and MAC Blanc Type under the browbone or wear Grain on the lid and Sable in the crease.Versatile MAC Sable is dark enough for the crease yet light enough to look good on the lid (and I am very fair skinned). So happy I bought Sable, it's the shadow I was hoping for in UD's Toasted

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by zoe888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I adore this eyeshadow. It is a beautiful, plummy brown color that should go with all skin tones and eye colors. It works perfectly as a lid or crease color, and looks wonderful with all that glitters. Will definetly repurchase when i run out!