November 23, 2014 | 2031 users online

Fragrances - Avon - Sweet Honesty

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2012 9:09:00 AM More reviews by LaurieEyeBee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing this scent since it first appeared in the Avon catalog in 1973 -- when I was 17. Yep, I'm an old lady of 56 now and I still wear Sweet Honesty. Even though I'm a perfume aficionado I'm terrible at describing "notes." So I'll just say it has everything I could possibly want in a summer cologne: not fruity (hate fruity perfumes), a little sexy but at the same time innocent, clean and comforting. I have a suspicion that Avon MAY have done a bit of reformulating (a mortal sin! agree?) but it could be my hormones changing; it doesn't smell QUITE the same on me as it did years ago. Nonetheless I still love it and I can't imagine why anyone would not!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 1:07:00 AM More reviews by mkinthecity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This fragrance is everything that is opposite from what the description led me to believe, unfortunately. I was hoping to fall in love with this scent as it is an Avon classic. However, it didn't work with my chemistry, sadly. When I spritzed it on my wrist, it was very sharp, strong, and I could not detect the notes that were described. Vanilla and honey I would imagine to be sweet and soft. This is a rather bold fragrance and I did become lightheaded within minutes of application. Everyone's body chemistry is so different, and it's short money, and a classic. It has worked for many generations of women. Although it didn't work for me, it's worth a try since it's been around for decades:)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2011 7:08:00 PM More reviews by glitterfacedranda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a very nice perfume:)Not my favorite but a good light scent.Very nice for everyday wear.To me,it's a nice mix between sweet and musky while still being delicate.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by sweetkandi87

I wasnt too sure about this when I ordered it, but something told me it would be good from all the reviews on here and Avon, and since it has been around a long time. I got it in the mail and sprayed it on as soon as I got it. It has a really nice fresh scent to it, and I dont think it could offend anyone. It also does not smell like little girls perfume, although it would be good as a first perfume since it is light and fresh. So anyways, all day after I had sprayed this my husband kept coming up to me and commenting on how good I smelled and would say it everytime he kissed me. He told me I smelled how a woman should smell lol. So im guessing he means nice and fresh by this. He hardly ever comments on my perfume so this was a plus for me. It seems guys do really like this one. Since my husband likes it so much I will repurchase when I run out. The roll-on deoderant is really nice too.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Good lord I can NOT believe I ever wore this stuff as a teenager and liked it. Not only did it make me sneeze, it broke me out as if I'd gotten into poison ivy! It stinks like nothing else I've smelled and I passed it along to a co-worker who liked it. Yech!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2011 10:03:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I received a sample of this once. It's something that I can't take, it smells like it's turned -straight out of the bottle. It's the female equivalent of "Gray Flannel" to me. I'm just not a fan. Not a fan at all.
To ME, it smells cheap and outdated straight out of the bottle. I couldn't stomach leaving it on long enough to see how it would turn out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used the anti-perspirant deodorant several years ago & remembered liking the scent. So, out of nostalgia, I went to my neighborhood Avon boutique last Friday to test the cologne... well, I'm happy to report that I still like it a lot! :-) Despite what some previous reviewers say, I don't agree that Sweet Honesty smells cheap (although it IS cheap) or outdated whatsoever, or is more suited to tweens/young girls. Yes, it has been around since 1973, which means so many of us here grew up with Sweet Honesty or even bought/received it as our first perfume (though I'm not one of them as I only discovered Avon in the mid '90s when I was already in college); however, to me, it's a timeless, soft, very appealing scent that I can see women of all ages wearing. It's sweet, creamy, powdery & musky with a prominent undertone of honey that's really pleasant & comforting to my nose. If you love warm, soft, powdery scents like Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue or even scents with a honey note such as Chanel's Coco & Lancome's Poeme, but are looking for a much cheaper alternative for office/daily use, I think Sweet Honesty is a good choice. The staying power is amazing for a cologne spray, wearing more like an EDP on my skin. The same thing also happens to me with Vanilla Soft Musk, another perennial Avon favorite. (Hmmm... you gotta wonder what kind of "special" alcohol the company uses exclusively for their cologne sprays to give them such remarkable longevity... LOL. By comparison, their current EDPs & EDTs don't even last half as long as they should!). Packaging-wise, I agree that it COULD use a prettier bottle than the painfully generic, cheap-looking one it currently comes in... :-/

***ETA (16/5/11)***

The official notes from Avon:

Top: Aldehydes, Bergamot
Heart: Carnation, Rose
Base: Heliotrope, Vanilla, Cedar

(As it turns out, this does indeed share many of the same notes with L'Heure Bleue!) :-)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A cheap powdery scent that does nothing for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Esmay

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just for the record, I'm no perfume snob. I love the oldies like Shalimar, Arpege, and, yes, Tabu. My chemistry adores some celeb frags like Glow, My Glow, Fancy and Covet. I can lunch with Chanel. And, dare I say it? Some of my favorites have been Avon...Flower, Petal, Rare Gold, Timeless, and does anybody remember their Here's to my Heart? Would that one feel as good today as it did then? Does Sweet Honesty?

No. Many houses re-work or update the formulas and packaging of their oldies for good or ill and I think in the case of Sweet Honesty, Avon should either do so or retire the brand. The bottle looks like a no-name brand of gargle. The fragrance suffers from VERY inferior quality ingredients. I mean very. There's just no excuse. Sure, they have made it dirt cheap but if it has a sentimental following then at least have the decency to up the quality to present standards even if it means charging a few bucks more.

The scent itself is almost a straight-up lily-of-the-valley/powder from opening to drydown. Strong alcohol blast at the opening lasts far too long. So Avon keeps this and immediately drops their beautiful lily-of-the-valley scent for young girls (and old ones too) - Petal, which was packaged in a charming little bottle. Why? Who can fathom the corporate mind?

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Sweet Honesty was one of my first perfumes, bought as a gift for me back in the 1970s. My aunt Alice was an Avon rep and she always had the cutest things.
I love this scent still for young girls. It's innocent and sweet with the aroma of rose, honey, citrus and just a touch of vanilla and amber. It's not a heavy scent.
I bought gift sets of Little Miss SH for my daughters when they were very young. I always had a gift set for them for Valentines Day and even in their Easter baskets from the age of 4 or so on. As they grew a little older we went to full strength Sweet Honesty instead of the lighter Little SH.
Later on they graduated to Tommy Girl and now D & G Light Blue, etc.

This scent is too young for me and even too young for my daughers (college aged) now. But it's an enduring rite of passage for millions of little girls the world over. And for that, I give it 5 lippies.