MAC Matte - Espresso

4.5

on 7/18/2013 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Initially, I had bought this eyeshadow to use on my eyebrows. I have dark, dark, dark brown hair, almost black, and I kept hearing every dark haired youtber sing the praises for this as a brow powder. When I received it, I was a bit surprised. It was way lighter and more red than expected. It is a lovely warm-ish neutral (not totally warm, but not cool at all either) brown. It's a matte color, and it is pretty pigmented and soft. It never did work with my eyebrows. If you have black hair and SPARSE eyebrows, don't get this expecting miracles. I can imagine that it would be better for a dark brunette with already dense brows, because then the color isn't that obvious, but it looks so wrong and red in my brows. Well, why the high rating then? Because, I love it for an everyday powder liner. It's amazing for that purpose. Not too light, but not too dark, it's great especially for summer when you don't want your makeup to look so heavy. The brush that I find applies it best, and doesn't provide any fallout is the Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Liner Brush. Overall, I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS USE THIS FOR MY BLACK EYEBROWS, but I really do love this for a light eyeliner and when I run out I will repurchase for that purpose.

on 6/27/2013 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

My only intention when I bought this eyeshadow was solely for my eyebrows. This is what I use to fill them in and it works great. I use it everyday and it has lasted me three years since it is so pigmented. Haven't had to repurchase it just yet, but when I do run out, I will definitely buy it again.

on 6/18/2013 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Most versatile eyeshadow I have ever come across! I use it as a crease shadow, lining my eyes, under my water line, contouring my face (it is tricky, but if you get it right it looks great!) and occasionally for fillling my eyebrows! Can a eye shadow be put to more use?

on 5/16/2013 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm NC40 and I like this as an everyday matte brown eyeshadow. I have blue eyes so I wear a LOT of browns, and this is just a nice, basic staple. It blends well and can be layered easily with other colors and formulas.

on 4/17/2013 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

My HG eyeshadow. This eyeshadow suits everything. I like to apply this color all over the lid, no further than the crease. And then use a blending brush to blend it upward. So it gives nice soft brown smokey look. It's been my go to look when I'm in a rush for years.

This mixed with spiked is eyebrow perfection I'm loving this matte shade but would only use it on my brows it can be a little dark but a couple drags of my spoolie and I'm good. Love Macs packaging the black always looks so classy

on 2/21/2013 7:07:00 AM

I seem to be one of the few that's disappointed in this. I wanted a dark brown matte eyeshadow and this is what expresso is.But it dosen't blend well at all and it's not creaseproof.If you try to build it, it can look patchy.I'm using this as a crease shadow and on my brows but that's not what I purchased it for.I thought maybe I had a bad shadow but I have this in wedge and it's the same.Maybe some of the other textured shadows by mac are better but I'm not buying any more of the matte ones.There's better at the drug store.Some of my Mac purchases have been good, but I can't say this is one of them.

on 1/11/2013 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I recently bought this on a whim and I have to say I LOVE it. It literally goes with every brown/nude/taupe eyeshadow combination. It also looks fab teamed with club eyeshadow. It's the perfect non shimmery crease colour in my opinion. It blends beautifully using a MAC 217 brush. I thought it looked really boring in the pan but was pleasantly surprised once I applied it. I love the fact that its very matte but not chalky. You've got to five it a try to believe the hype! X

on 1/10/2013 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Espresso is another favourite of mine from the mac eyeshadows. I use this to get that 'shadow' in the crease of my eyelid. It's the perfect basic matte brown for any brown/smoky eye style.

Can be worn in the day subtly or built up as heavy as you like in the night, can't go wrong!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

Definitely one of MAC's staples. It is the universal brown for everyone, even for us fair ladies in the crease or as liner. Espresso is as matte as matte gets I know it looks boring in the pan, but translates to beauty once near the eye. If you're a lover of brown eyeshadow, then I would suggest adding this shade to your collection.

Top Rated MAC Products