Desert Essence Lip Rescue w/ Shea Butter

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Glycine soja (soybean) oil, beeswax, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, ozokerite, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), ginkgo biloba leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tocopherol, propyl gallate, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This lip balm is awesome. It is a matte lip treatment. It is really moisturizing and it has a very subtle sweet scent (like cocoa butter and almond) It cost me $2.49 at drugstore.com. I would highly recommend it and would buy it again. I am looking forward to trying more products by this brand.

on 6/10/2012 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Now to begin with I'm a Shea butter junkie.
I really love this chap stick because it has some great natural ingredients no chemicals in it. So if you are very consicious on what you put on or in your body this is good product to at least give it a try. It is a little more expensive than your typical chap stick ranges from about $1.50-$2.00 at your local natural or organic goods store.
The smell is lemony doesn't really have a taste to it at all. Also it isn't thick unless you really try to press it on your lips, a little goes a long way.
The only thing I don't like is that I believe they might use refined Shea butter in it which means some of the beneficial qualities have been stripped away. Besides that it's a great little chap stick. I highly recommend giving it a try if you can find it.

on 2/9/2012 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great balm. I haven't tried it on extremely chapped lips, but it works at keeping my lips moisturized. I think it prevents it from getting dry. What interested me about this balm is the peppermint (LOVE the original Burt's Bees). But quite frankly, the peppermint is really subtle. Like if I didn't read the ingredients, I might not know there's peppermint in this. Despite not having a tingle, I still like this a lot and will keep using it. The scent is really unique- like creamy with a hint of citrus. I didn't expect it to work because the texture is lighter than I expected. I am really happy I bought this. Overall, this is a lip balm that works and is also petroleum-free.

on 1/17/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

best natural lip balm ive ever used . It has saved my lips this winter, I use it every night before bed. Has a very light vanilla creamsicle scent and really moisturized my lips without feeling too heavy or sticky. I beleive its matte too so you can wear it with lipstick too for some added moisture. BEST part about this is its completely natural!
Update: i ran out of this ans bought the eos lio balm at drugstore it was horrible so i tracked this lip balm down at a health store and stocked up it brought my lips back to life and i will never stray again

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

smells nice (orange creamsicle-like) but i feel this does not smoothe out my lips as good as my neosporin lip therapy..i feel this product just coats it in wax and just sits on top of my lip...i even prefer dr bronner's magic lip balm over this.

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This lip balm does is not moisturizing enough for my high-maintainance lips, nor is it healing enough. The packaging is awful, so ugly.

The smell, however, is really nice.

on 3/18/2011 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: after several uses of this, I have come to find out that I really needed to apply it every 5 min to have the moisturizing effect I want. I am already down to half a stick and I have only had this for a week. It just is not emollient enough. I went out and got Alba Botanica Chapstick instead and it wears way better and lasts long.

I needed a basic natural chapstick. And this is it! The chapstick brand was a little too waxy for me, smackers eh used to be my HG and all the other ones are just too...much. The thing I love about this stuff is that it isn't overwhelming, it has just a light light hint of flavor, I would describe it as an orange creamsicle. But you really can't notice it. I say my boyfriend could even use it because it really doesn't have any fragrance or taste. Overall wears really good, moisturizers great and it is natural.

I have been using this for years; I always try other things, but I always end up coming back to this one because it is really just lovely. I can't stand minty/mentholated lip balms (makes me feel like I smeared toothpaste on my lips, ugh!), and despite the fact that there is peppermint oil listed as an ingredient - the last listed, actually - I cannot taste it, or smell it at all. It also lists "ginko biloba leaf extract", which is... weird. That's for memory and focus, what does that have to do with lipbalm? Maybe Desert Essence doesn't want you to forget to buy more when you run out.

The citrusy-vanilla comparisons to an orange creamsicle are pretty much right on the money. It is fairly inexpensive, and not waxy at all (as opposed to something like a Burt's Bees lipbalm). Very emollient, and sure you have to re-apply, but for $3 what's the big deal about that? Highly recommended.

on 3/18/2010 5:17:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've used both the Shea Butter version and the Jojoba version of this and they were both ok for warmer weather, but they don't provide enough moisture for the winter. The Shea Butter one has a great peppermint scent to it and is completely matte. The Jojoba one has a less-appealing mint scent to it and is a bit shiny. Sorry to say, I wouldn't repurchase either one.

on 3/11/2010 10:50:00 AM

This really doesn't do much to improve the condition of my dry lips. I had higher expectations due to the great reviews and the slightly above average price. The pros are that it smells good, feels good to wear, is natural, and looks nice on my lips. The problem is that my lips are just as dry as before after a few hours. I'm still on that search to find the HG lip balm and will try other products before coming back to this.

Popular Lip Treatments