September 24, 2014 | 1507 users online

Lip Treatments - Desert Essence - Lip Rescue w/ Shea Butter

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2011 3:04:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

UPDATE: after several uses of this, I have come to find out that I really needed to apply it every 5 min to have the moisturizing effect I want. I am already down to half a stick and I have only had this for a week. It just is not emollient enough. I went out and got Alba Botanica Chapstick instead and it wears way better and lasts long.

I needed a basic natural chapstick. And this is it! The chapstick brand was a little too waxy for me, smackers eh used to be my HG and all the other ones are just too...much. The thing I love about this stuff is that it isn't overwhelming, it has just a light light hint of flavor, I would describe it as an orange creamsicle. But you really can't notice it. I say my boyfriend could even use it because it really doesn't have any fragrance or taste. Overall wears really good, moisturizers great and it is natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by ghoulnextdoor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this for years; I always try other things, but I always end up coming back to this one because it is really just lovely. I can't stand minty/mentholated lip balms (makes me feel like I smeared toothpaste on my lips, ugh!), and despite the fact that there is peppermint oil listed as an ingredient - the last listed, actually - I cannot taste it, or smell it at all. It also lists "ginko biloba leaf extract", which is... weird. That's for memory and focus, what does that have to do with lipbalm? Maybe Desert Essence doesn't want you to forget to buy more when you run out.

The citrusy-vanilla comparisons to an orange creamsicle are pretty much right on the money. It is fairly inexpensive, and not waxy at all (as opposed to something like a Burt's Bees lipbalm). Very emollient, and sure you have to re-apply, but for $3 what's the big deal about that? Highly recommended.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I've used both the Shea Butter version and the Jojoba version of this and they were both ok for warmer weather, but they don't provide enough moisture for the winter. The Shea Butter one has a great peppermint scent to it and is completely matte. The Jojoba one has a less-appealing mint scent to it and is a bit shiny. Sorry to say, I wouldn't repurchase either one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2010 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Adriana_C

This really doesn't do much to improve the condition of my dry lips. I had higher expectations due to the great reviews and the slightly above average price. The pros are that it smells good, feels good to wear, is natural, and looks nice on my lips. The problem is that my lips are just as dry as before after a few hours. I'm still on that search to find the HG lip balm and will try other products before coming back to this.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2009 3:35:00 AM More reviews by cucumber110

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased mine from Whole Foods, next to the check out. Although it smells much better than the Jojoba Oil version of this product, I find that it doesn't work as well. I have extremely chapped lips, and after one application of the Shea Butter formula I saw and felt no difference. After an hour's wear of the Jojoba Oil, though, my chapped lips were once again soft. I find that the Shea Butter formula works well to maintain soft lips, not to achieve them. It wasn't until I read these reviews that I realized that yeah, hey, it smells like an orange creamsicle. It's nice, not overpowering at all.

I wear chapstick before bed and put this on in the morning. It's working okay so far.

I give this product 3 lippies only because it doesn't work as well as I need it to, or as well as the other formulas.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2009 12:53:00 AM More reviews by dragonballz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great item to have on hand. It glides on smoothly and provides immediate gratification for dry lips. The staying power is decent and I love the natural formulation. It does not apply shiny but that is not a problem for me. I want to try the jojoba lip rescue next and this one was a good investment.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2009 2:42:00 AM More reviews by lalitadarcy

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this is one of my favourite lipbalms, i go through them like mad so i've tried my fair share. it smells lightly of vanilla and citrus and moisturizes really well, with a not too creamy texture so its not irritating if you are layering it with a lippy, it lasts reasonably well. i love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Muriel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great lip balm! Moisturizing, but not waxy. Sinks in nicely, doesn't just "sit" on the lips as so many do. Very subtle, nice scent.
And, my local supermarket (Stop & Shop) is now carrying a variety of natural personal care lines, so I don't even have to go out of my way for this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2009 12:07:00 PM More reviews by necessarymakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This lip chappie is the bomb. nuff said.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 1:02:00 AM More reviews by CattySpice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE THIS STUFF! Especially the Shea Butter one.
I go through thousands of lip balms, just a hoarder, and I always reach for this one. It feels so soft and the scent is overpowering and doesn't feel greasy or sticky. It leaves lips soothed and hydrated. Natural feel, organic ingredients.
I get mine from Whole Foods.