October 22, 2014 | 1119 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Eau De Charlotte

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by gleaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is not what I thought it would be, but I still really love it. I don't get as much of the berries/cocoa, and get more of the floral/mimosa, especially at first. The sweetness is in the drydown. I love how it is both fresh, floral and sweet and doesn't smell like everything else out there. It really sparkles. I also love that it's subtle, as I hate to shout "perfume!" when I enter a room. I got a sample first and this will be my first full-size purchase in a verrrrry long time.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2008 7:17:00 AM More reviews by Beauty0Marked

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like to try and sample my fragrances before I splash out the cash for them and that is what I did with this. When I sampled this I thought, 'Wow, lush'. I'm a fan of the occasional fruity fragrance and so, having used up my sample, I was convinced I needed a bottle of this. So the bottle arrived and I was well pleased. I sprayed and yep it still had the same 'mmmm' effect on me. As the day wore on I couldn't help feeling a little nauseous but this sometimes happens so I didn't blame the perfume. However, the more I used this the more I was starting to realise that my love affair with this was over. I concluded that it was too sweet and also has that very 'off' dusty/powdery smell that so many Goutals seem to have. I hate to waste a perfume so I try to persevere with this but mostly it just makes me feel sick. Sometimes I will go to smell this and I think it's 'off' but it's not, especally since I've not had it long but I have heard that Goutals do turn quite quickly in some cases.
So, for me, this is has been an unpredictable little number. I gave it two because it did win me over at first. It retails from about 54.50 in the UK. The bottle is pretty but I didn't like the gold pouch but appreciate the idea. Highly unlikely that I'll be reprchasing. I suggest that some fragrances might need a longer sapling time before you commit to buying a bottle.
Notes: blackcurrant, almonds, vanilla and lily of the valley.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Caramellane

The notes listed sounded so nice, cocoa, mimosa and blackcurrant bud. I'm confused why this fragrance vaguely reminds of a slightly more floral bar of Irish Spring soap. There is a real green, crisp quality to this one. I have a pretty nuetral opinion of the fragrance. However, I have been wearing this at night after I take a bath. There is something clean and soothing about Eau De Charlotte.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2008 7:41:00 PM More reviews by darkhoney

I LOVE this fragrance. I have wanted for so long to find a sophisticated, light, wearable, complex fragrance and this is it. The berry is not overly sweet and combines beautifully with the mimosa and lily of the valley into a soft, powdery scent. It is much like Chanel#15 but with berries and chocolate. Very springy yet oriental. I must have a bottle for Spring and Summer...and whenever I want to be reminded of being a berry faced child running though my grandmother's backyard in my white nightgown.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2008 2:17:00 AM More reviews by callmecordelia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a very soft scent. It's sweet, but it stays close to the skin, so I don't find it overbearing. I agree that it smells like cocoa powder -- or a mix of cocoa powder and powdered sugar, with a little jam. It dries down to, well, fresh diaper bag is not such a bad description. A baby-like scent, very soft. This isn't something I would normally want, but I love the AG bottles, and something about the scent is very comforting.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2008 10:20:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I was very surprised by this fragrance, from the list of notes and descriptions I've read, I wouldn't have figured it was one I would like, but I received a decant of this with a purchase I made. When I eventually got around to trying it, I was very surprised by how much I liked it, and I've been enjoying wearing it frequently this summer.

Eau de Charlotte is fruity in a juicy, sort of more drinkable than edible sort of way. The fruity sweetness is mixed with some light florals and a sweet (but not cloying) base. It behaves nicely on hot days, not becoming too strong, but rather taking on a sort of lightly powdery dryness. It has a light, youthfully clean/sweet/fresh sort of smell which is uplifting, with a sort of innocent mood.
The cocoa/chocolate/whatever it is note melds into the buried powderiness of the base, making me think more of powdered hot chocolate mix than of actual chocolate itself. As someone who usually doesn't like any sort of chocolate note, I found the subtlety and wear-ability of this one to be a pleasant surprise.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2008 7:03:00 PM More reviews by WinterWheat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What an interesting scent. I received the EDP from escentual.co.uk today, and immediately doused myself. The opening was offputtingly sharp, like blackberry stems bleeding acidic green tomato-leaf juice: everything I ordinarily dislike about "red fruits" as a note/accord in perfumes. Sharp as a pin. Fortunately that faded within 10 minutes, leaving a pleasantly soft baby-lotion scent with a regrettable soapiness. The soapiness too faded after about 1/2 hour, leaving a very agreeable final drydown of milky berries and cocoa powder. If you've ever tried Fresh's Milk line of soaps and lotions -- in particular the Milk - Chocolate scent -- you'll recognize a cousin in Eau de Charlotte. Great for summer, when you want something soft and comforting but still clean.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2008 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Nimue76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had expected a more gourmand fragrance, but it seems my nose cannot detect any cocoa nor vanilla in it! It is a very pretty flowery and herbaceous fragrance, elegant and not overwhelming at all. The dryout reminds me of baby powder, sweet and clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2008 5:51:00 PM More reviews by tempest322

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wasn't crazy about Eau de Charlotte at first, but I have developed a deep, quiet fondness for it lately. What I love about it is that, to me, it smells different than any other perfume I have -- it is in no way generic or common. It goes on with a very tart note of blackberry currant (an homage to Goutal's daughter Charlotte, for whom she created the fragrance), which is at the same time slightly syrupy, but only for a flash. As it dries down it becomes very soft, with a barely detectable note of chocolate and light florals. I like this very much and consider it neither gourmand, fruity, or floral, but its own hybrid creation. It is not heavy and I think it's suitable for any season (except possibly the very hottest days of summer). This is a comfort scent for me, but it is very elegant as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2008 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Busyblue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this. It's sweet, but not terribly so. Very light and the combination of notes is simply lovely. This can be worn year round, though I tend to wear it in the spring & summer. It's a unique scent, too, so you won't be smelling like everyone else while wearing this.