October 20, 2014 | 1485 users online

Concealers - Shu Uemura - Pro Spots Concealer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2007 2:51:00 PM More reviews by blueberry17

Was searching for a new concealer and browsing through reviews when I saw this concealer had high ratings. Have never ventured to this brand before even though I have easy access to them, mainly because this brand is quite expensive.

I was using MAC NC20 concealer. The very friendly and patient MA matched me to 5YR Medium Light, which is pink based. Texture is quite thick and dry, definately not suitable for the undereye area. The wand seem weird at first but it is really easy to spot conceal. Lasted the whole day and covers my healing blemish marks really well. I will recommend this. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2007 10:04:00 PM More reviews by TRKK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has been my HG for a long time. I bought it specifically to cover pimples and the dark marks left behind by them. First of all, the packaging/tube/applicator is ingenious and is so easy to use/convenient when you are covering spots. Just touch the applicator which is just the right size, to the spot and blend. Second, the texture of this is amazing. I think it's waterproof, so it absolutely does not budge all day. You just need a tiny bit of the concealer as it is HIGHLY pigmented. Yes, it can appear dry especially when you use it on zits that are healing and the skin around is flaking due to the acids you've used on it, but that's a small price to pay for a budge proof formula. As I have oily skin, other concealers slide right off. Absolute HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2007 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the BEST concealor for spots, pimples, marks...I donít think is good for the eye aria because is too tick and dry...but for imperfections is AMAIZING...I have tried ALL. This one is so good cover completely all and stays all day long. Great Great Great
My skin is pale yellow tone and i first buy the 5YR medium it was to dark and very yellow...so then i buy 7YR medium still dark but i keep it and apply after make up (specialy if i use bronzer)only on spots or marks wich didn't cover well after all... look great becouse don't leave light mark on the top of my make up.
now i have 7YR medium light H (the lightes NOT yellow color) which i use when i don't use foundation is very neutral color
and 7YR medium light L (bit darker than the H )wich i use under make up.I can't use it on clean skin and go out because you feel the diferenrent.
I buy mine at www.japcosmo.com for 38 $ and a very good shipping price

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2007 9:38:00 PM More reviews by nnmca

HG concealer. I was a former Mark Cealer user and was none too happy when they discontinued it, but I think the formula and staying power of Pro Spots is even better. It is recommended for use on blemishes, but I use it sheered out as an undereye concealer as well and it works wonderfully. Stays put all day on my extremely oily skin. I do find the wand annoying as I find I have to dip it repeatedly to get enough product out (I preferred the doe foot of Mark Cealer). I use the wand to apply a dab to the back of my hand and then apply using the smallest Sonia Kashuk eyeshadow brush (which is even smaller than her concealer brush). That way I can get precise application on "those little imperfections" (LOL), and sheer it out by tapping with my finger. Then I apply a little loose powder to set it, no need for foundation.

Now a word about the shades. I have had a lot of trouble making a good color match, and finally settled on 7YR Medium Light H to match my NC20 skin. Through trial and error (and a lot of bad advice by SHU SA's), here is what I have discovered about the shades. Keep in mind these are my own observations and opinions, your own experience may vary! 9YR Medium Light is the yellowest shade and is also fairly light, but not the lightest shade like the online swatches would have you believe. Even though I have a yellow base, I found it to be too yellow for my complexion, which is unusual because most products are not yellow enough. 7YR Medium Light H is the lightest and most neutral shade. I find that even though it seems like it would be too light for my skintone, upon drying and mixing with skin oils it is actually my perfect shade. It also seems to be the most pigmented one for some reason, which means it must be carefully sheered out, but also that the tube lasts a long long time. 7YR Medium Light L is somewhat darker than the previous two I have mentioned and seemed to have a slight grayish cast to it that did not work for me. 5YR Medium Light is slightly darker than the 7-9's, and I would imagine more suitable for more light-medium skintones. On me it had an odd orange tint that didn't work. For some reason one SA matched me with 5YR Medium, which turned out to be so wrong. Both of the Mediums, 7YR Medium and 5YR Medium, are the darkest shades more suitable for medium skintones. Unfortunately there do not appear to be any shades suitable for true PPP's or for darker-skinned gals, which is a shame. I generally find their shade selection and naming system very puzzling, and it has been explained to me so many different ways that I don;t know what to believe...sigh...It should be mentioned that with the right application technique and sufficient sheering the shades can be made to work with a variety of skintones, even if you don't get a perfect match the first time around.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2006 7:26:00 PM More reviews by midgetcoconut

Love, love, love this stuff. The best blemish concealer that I've come across yet. Conceals beautifully without looking unnatural or cakey. Almost completely budgeproof (more often than not lasts longer than my foundation!). Can't even tell that I'm wearing concealer.

I'm a Chanel #20, GA #4-4.5, Becca Nude, Dior #200 (slightly lighter), NARS Fuji, etc and I use 5-YR Medium Light (which looks absolutely nothing like the colour swatch on the Shu Uemura website).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2006 10:38:00 AM More reviews by milkypop

i finally got down to business yesterday after reading all these rave reviews here and searching for the perfect concealer.

finally my acne scars and blemishes have been defeated!

this stuff is reaaally thick and opaque. it not only covers your blemishes, it also fills in pitted scars so that is wonderful for me. deep scars became shallow scars and shallow scars became no scars.

packaging is great too. i love the spot applicator wand, helps in precision and prevents wastage. you could use a small tube of this for a million years.

only downside is that you have to be very patient in putting this on, be sure to blend blend blend before it dries up because it could look very thick and cakey. a brush would help alot.

one more thing - it lasts the whole day and never felt oily. but one lippie off for the limited range of colours. i am using the darkest shade 5yr Medium but it aint dark enough. i have NC30 asian tanned skin.

this tube is gonna last like 10 years cos you only need a teeny bit. ive used it for like more than half a year and it doesnt even look moved.

EDIT: I have to take back my words! This is far too orange for me, and no matter how you blend, you end up with cakey orange patches on your face. Even if it were the right colour, i dont see how something so thick and dry could be blended naturally. I bought a Kanebo Kate concealer and that stuff is so much creamier and natural, matches my skin 99% and best of all it costs only S$16. Im a big Shu fan but i have to say this disappoints me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2006 7:20:00 PM More reviews by arneegirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is by far the best concealer ever!! at first i didn't get the wand either, but then realized you really don't need much for it to be effective. it lasts forever and it has tea tree oil in it so whatever blemishes you're covering up it also helps heal them. it's a little pricey but it seriously lasts soooo long. definitely worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2006 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Ambrosia007

I was hesitant about this concealer at first because of the weird wand...it didn't seem to grasp that much product. But I soon realized I do not need that much product. The concealer is really pigmented. I love the finish: very powdery. I only use it to cover up blemishes and old acne marks and it works wonderfully. It does tend to be a bit dry so I use a creamier concealer for my eye area. The product does seem to last a LONG time. I have had a for a month and use a generous amount every day and it barely seems like less product than when I first purchased. Even though the concealer is very pigmented and the wand allows me to spot treat well, I wish this was in a tube so I could cover slightly larger areas more easily. I am Halle Berry's skin color and I bought the darkest shade, which is barely dark enough for me...so darker US girls may have a problem with color match. However, for some of their products, they have darker colors abroad (outside US). I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2006 5:44:00 AM More reviews by ripchick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

my HG concealer!!! it lasts AGES, is reasonably priced and can cover ANYTHING! a tiny dot of the wand can cover a wide area effectively. however, it is hard to find the right shade. i use this for pimples only, as it can get cakey if used under eye

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2006 3:15:00 PM More reviews by alyssasara

i just got myself this baby last week in 7YR Medium Light, retailing at S$47...the coverage is really good and it lasts longer than my usual maybelline/inouvi concealers! Covers my angry red blemishes and my dark acne scars very well!
oh why did it take me so long to notice this prdt?? It took me a little while before i started to get used to the applicator though, i still find it quite clumsy at times when i'm in a rush..but it helps to prevent wastage and over using the prdt. Probably the most expensive concealer i ever bought but sure has the best performance. Asian, Acne-prone skin, dark hair, fair.