Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

4.6

on 6/26/2013 7:03:00 PM

I recently bought a Mason Pearson pure bristle brush for $200. I thought from all accounts it would be wonderful and make my hair smooth, etc. Not so, it is not worth the money. You can get a Fred Fekkai bristle brush (which is also expensive), but just as good as the Mason Pearson. I called them to ask if I could return, no. Once opened you have bought it! Think twice about paying the price for this brush.

on 4/19/2013 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Firstly, let me start by saying that my hair is very curly, but fine, and cut short. I shelled out what I thought was WAY too much money for the child size version of the pure bristle MP, but I have to say, it's totally worth it, even for my pixie-short hair. It somehow magically and simultaneously reduces puff and creates volume without the need for a heat styling tool. I don't use any product anymore. It's unbelievable. I assume that, given the reputation for quality, I will never have to repurchase unless I lose it, because these brushes are a lifelong investment.

on 4/11/2013 9:11:00 PM

I am certainly not one to spend $190 on a brush. But, I have honestly thought about how I wished I had this brush for a decade. I finally decided to bite the bullet and I am SO GLAD that I did! I have baby fine hair and I have been told lots of it. I feel like its thin, but every hairdresser has told me that I have a lot of it. It just seems much thinner than it is because it is so fine. It is also very curly, but I can easily straighten it, which I usually do.

Every night before I go to bed, I brush my medium length hair (4 inches below my shoulders) starting at the top and working my way through the lengths and pressing through my hair all the way to the scalp. I mention this specifically because this brush is meant to massage the scalp and evenly distribute oils. It feels amazing! Some have complained that the boar bristles hurt, but I don't think so at all. I don't brush it in the morning because I get too much static, but I will do mid-day touch ups (when its straightened). I didn't mention to my boyfriend that I got this brush, nor did he know that I brushed it every night. I caught him several days "petting" my hair. After this happened a few times, I asked what he was doing, and he said, "I don't know what you are doing differently, but your hair is so soft!"

All of this is great and fine but still not worth $190, probably. Here is the kicker: I have a horribly itchy scalp. My derm has diagnosed psoriasis on my scalp. Every two weeks or so, I have to apply a topical steroid treatment to my scalp for a few days in a row because it itches uncontrollably. And, most of the time there is some minor flaking, if you look close enough. Since I have been brushing with the pure boar bristle (I got the Handy size) brush, I have not used the steroid treatment once and I have zero flaking. I had no idea that this would be a result. I was just hoping for somewhat healthier, smoother hair. I have only had this routine for about a month, so I would have never expected these kind of results so quickly! I am now religious about brushing every night and look forward to it.

Make sure that you do your research and get the brush for your hair-type. My hair is so fine, that the pure boar bristle works great for me. If you have thicker hair, you may need the mixed nylon/boar bristle one.

UPDATE 5/19/13: It has now been another month of using this brush and I am still amazed that I have not yet had to use the steroid solution on my scalp. I started leaving my hair curly recently and didn't brush every night as I was doing. I probably skipped a whole week of brushing. I noticed that my scalp was a little itchy one night, so I brushed it out (Note to self: only brush curly hair when you have NO intention of leaving the house). Just that one time of brushing helped my scalp tremendously. So this is still HG for me. No more scalp psoriasis, no itching, no flaking.

UPDATE 12/31/13: I still love this brush AND still haven't used the psoriasis medicine since the day I started using this brush! My hair is shiny and smooth and my scalp no longer itches at all. I actually purchased the purse size for travel and love that one too. It is very small and I wouldn't want to use it for everyday use, but it is perfect for keeping in your purse and for travel. Best tool that I EVER bought for my hair!

on 3/30/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I'll start by saying that I don't have the kind of hair anyone would envy. My hair is baby fine, and I don't have a lot of it. I'm not balding, but I don't have a luxurious waterfall of locks. My hair was a mess of static in the winter, and it tangled like mad the second I stepped outside. My hair had to be washed daily to avoid greasy roots, which resulted in dull damaged hair.

Over the years I discovered that it didn't matter where i had my hair cut or colored, what I described above didn't change. Measurable improvements were made when I discovered a sulfate free shampoo at Costco, and Batiste dry shampoo at my local beauty supply store. Redken Satainwear blowout lotion also helped. I began to wash my hair less, and my hair began to look better, but I wasn't until i pulled the trigger on this ridiculously expensive hairbrush that I began to love my hair.

I figured I could splurge since I cut my hair at Greatclips and color my own hair, but I did feel guilty about the purchase..... but not anymore. This brush is the single best beauty purchase I've ever made. The bristles are just firm enough to penetrate to and massage the scalp, but soft enough that it feels absolutely luxurious. The brush seems to not only spread the oil through the hair, but also absorb excess oil. The result is shiny, bouncy hair that is full of body. I can now wash twice a week. What a revelation... what a time saver....etc.

Some people spend over $100 dollars for a cut and color that lasts eight weeks. I'm not judging those people. My point is, why not spend $100 dollars on a hairbrush that will last forever and outperform any hairbrush at the drugstore X 1,000. I wish I had known about these brushes years ago, it would have saved me years of hair heartache.

On a side not, packaging is not usually a concern of mine, but I was delighted with vintage packaging of my brush. I could imagine strolling into a mercantile circa 1890 and buying the same brush.

on 1/11/2013 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I have owned my Mason Pearson brush for years, and its great. I have the full size and the mini for a purse. Then one day I bought a Denman (also made in England) for $12 that works exactly the same. My intent was to have one to keep in my travel bag. I can't believe how well it performs - its basically the exact same brush. Only $70 less. I like Mason Pearson but I wish I would have known about Denman because it works just as well.

on 1/3/2013 12:41:00 AM

I love my Mason Pearson hairbrush, it has been the best beauty investment I have made since my Clairsonic Plus. The use of this brush has helped tame down my frizzies as well as give my hair lush volume. These brushes are expensive but they are so worth it. I highly recommend them to everyone I know that has hair concerns like fine, limp hair. Simply amazing!

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I realize it seems obscene to spend over $100 on a brush, but it is SO worth it! You'll have this thing for a lifetime. I have had the same one for 13 years and it's still in great shape and I use it a couple times a week. I've had hair dryers melt bristles on other brushes, but this thing is indestructible. Also, leaves your hair smoother than any other flat brush I have tried.

on 11/3/2012 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

POCKET 100% Boar Bristle Brush- is too small to use for styling or blow drying hair, but is perfect for carrying around in a handbag for tidy ups. Mason Pearson brushes are VERY expensive and an "investment", but I am now going to buy a larger brush for blow drying my hair, but I will be looking for a less expensive, but still pure bristle brush.

on 10/17/2012 2:48:00 AM

Always heard a lot about MP brushes, and never thought I would actually buy one. I regret waiting so long ... I got mine 4 weeks ago (extra large, 100%boar bristle in the dark handle color) - it is outstanding! I have been brushing morning and night, and my hair simply behaves beautifully. It is shinier, more groomed and overall just dreamy. I may buy a pocket one for trips..it is the beginning of a love affair!

on 10/12/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Not a bad brush, although I dont see the outstanding results as everyone else has gotten.

Even though its got the rubbery pad, you still get static fly away hair if you run the brush through it too much.

Top Rated Mason Pearson Products