October 25, 2014 | 1537 users online

Styling Products - KMS California - Curl-up Spray

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2005 10:16:00 PM More reviews by bobsy

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this to use with the KMS Curl Up Balm. I have the old formula in the clear bottle. Personally I don't like it, but that's mostly because of the damn fragrance, which makes me ill, literally. It's a little sticky too. It's somewhat difficult to distribute over the hair evenly with the spray fitting. Its holding powers are quite mild, it's like a weak hairspray. Would not repurchase, although I love its counterpart, the C.U. Balm. I prefer to use a liquid mousse or similar with the Balm instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2004 11:21:00 AM More reviews by jmn1483

I like this product so much more than the Curl-Up balm. I think it's a little pricey and I actually think L'Oreal sells a better product. I will use it until it's gone, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I like to use it more when I hair is dry to revitalize my waves.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2004 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Chirpy

**UPDATE**I have tried this product in the old clear-see-through spray bottle packaging...and gave it a 3...Now I am giving it a 5 since the formulation of this product has changed...for the better! (it is now in an orange non see through bottle) The hold on this product now seems to be a lot firmer, yet does not make my hair frizzy. I have nice...non crunchy curls in my wavy hair now...seem like they have weakened the scent of the spray...(can't seem to put my finger on it...a creamy vanilla rosy smell) it is lovely...but I really liked the stronger smell that was in the previous mixture. I think this is finally a keeper!! Will repurchase over and over again!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2004 1:47:00 AM More reviews by ppiam

This stuff smells GREAT!!! I really can't say that it does much though :( My hair is a bit more defined as far as curls but it gets very limp with this...I've tried using different amounts & have been using it for about 2 weeks...no better luck. I'm going back to physique's curl defining gel...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2004 11:59:00 PM More reviews by FeatherHen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this stuff. It took a little experimenting to learn how much/little to use to achieve the results I wanted, however.

After shampooing, I comb my hair out and towel dry. After that, about four sprays does it. Keep the bottle far enough away from your head that you get a light spraying that covers more area. If you concentrate the spray on one area -- you'll get crunchy, straw hair. Flip your hair over, and lightly finger-comb through. Scrunch while using a diffuser or dry naturally. You can also use on dry hair as a very light hold hairspray.

My only real gripe is the shape of the bottle: It is very awkward, and does not conform well to the shape of the hand (especially a wet hand). The nozzle also requires frequent cleaning or you start getting a "stream" instead of a spray. I'm not big on the scent, either. It has a strong alcohol/chemical scent.

The price is moderate -- $9.50 US for a 7 oz bottle. They now sell a 24 oz refill size; a much better deal at around $19. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2003 8:25:00 PM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product definitely brought out the wave in my hair and it smells nice too. My only complaint is that if you use too much it makes your hair a little crunchy. But if you want the natural curl to come out of your hair, try this. Just don't overdo it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2003 10:23:00 AM More reviews by incoehoots

I really do like this product. I wasn't sure because it has alcohol in it, but it works in defining curls. Smells good too.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2003 10:20:00 PM More reviews by mayapapaya24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was a little hesitant after reading the reviews on this product, but i'm glas i gave it a shot. I have wavy/frizzy hair, and i wanted the separated, full of body look. I sprayed this in my damp hair, and scrunched it repeatedly while drying it with the other. I bent my head down in front of my knees while doing this to give it body. Then after my hair was dry, i topped it off with terax pomade and VOiLa!! I had more defined separated curls!!! The only bad part about this product is that it cost me $10.50 for one 7 OZ bottle. But if i went extra curly hair, i twist it up ina bun for a few hours and take it out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2003 3:30:00 PM More reviews by shirfene

Other reviewers mentioned about the scent of this product. Vanilla scented? Whats wrong with my nose? I think it has very strong chemical smell though.

I find it a bit sticky. However, I agree that it does it job well, boost curls nicely. Make sure you spray this only after washing your hair though, it would work better.
Anyway, any other styling product would be as good, such as Vo5. But it definitely has better packaging than Vo5, at least it does not leak :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2003 1:21:00 PM More reviews by XxMeleanaxX

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product. But I'd suggest to use this after using some kind of humidity-frizz fighting hair gel on damp hair, and then spraying. After that, my thick, curly hair is totally glam. It adds shine, and smells so good, like, vanilla mixed with something fruity. Yum. Stellar!