July 29, 2014 | 2085 users online

Treatments (Face) - Clarins - Santal Face Treatment oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Elise999

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Saved my skin. I used this about hmm 5 years ago when my fair, sensitive skin started to become really thin and reddish- a lot of tiny, broken veins around the nose. I thought I was doomed..tried many other pharmaceutical creams etc...until I found THIS product. Used the whole bottle, every day, maybe twice a day and in less than a month my face was visibly better...and after a few months it was completely healed. I could not believe it...
Now, after 5 years I'm going to use this again as I have noticed a few broken veins around my nose (but nothing like the first time surely).
I'm so grateful for this.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by innapark

I had this oil in my regular nighttime rotation for a few years. I think I took it for granted. Once I ran out, I decided not to buy again. By that time I was using jojoba oil regularly and figured it was a cheaper and equally good option when I felt I needed 'oil'. I missed the heavenly smell of Santal, but i figured quality oil was quality oil. Now that summer is over and winter is stressing my skin, no matter how much or how often i use the jojoba or the Dr. Haushka's Moisturizing mask, I yearn for Santal.

I think the Santal is thinner and more penetrating than jojoba. It also has a calming and plumping and glowy effect in the morning that jojoba does not. It feels more nourishing and healing. Don't get me wrong, I love jojoba as a straightforward oil to 'seal' my skin after a shower. But Santal is so much more.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2011 9:10:00 AM More reviews by inglaterra

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For $50 US, I am not sure I ever would have got this on my own. I decided to take the plunge and picked it out as a birthday present.

The smell is intoxicating. Uplifting lavender, fresh cardamom, and soothing sandalwood. I smell all three, but it is not overpowering. When I use this, any dry patches are gone, and I think I look less tired. Maybe its more of a sensory soother, but I have really enjoyed it.

I really don't get why they would make this a pour-out bottle without any sort of stopper, like you would get in an essential oil. You probably could make this yourself too. But if you have a chance to indulge, I recommend it. It works better for me than the Hydraquench Creme.

It will last forever, so on a cost per use, its great little soothing treat. And I like telling myself its sorta ~natural~. :-) One lippie off for the bottle design!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2011 8:43:00 AM More reviews by lilmoofa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've always liked the idea of using a nicely scented oil on my face, but its hard to find a really good one that is meant for daily/nightly use AND works. I use santal huile every morning after cleansing and it absorbs pretty quickly, leaving a soft sheen over my skin - I've been called 'glowy' a couple of times too! It hasn't caused problems with my super-sensitive, acne-prone skin, so I'm already in love with this product. It leaves the skin feeling very comfortable and soft, and has already started to clear up the redness around my cheeks AND -another great feature - NO pore-clogging or white milia popping up anywhere!
Price-wise, its pretty hard these days to actually get what you pay for, and though it is slightly expensive, it is definitely worth purchasing! Plus I've heard this lasts forever.
I can see why people find the bottle tricky - I tend to hold it tight against the palm of my hand and turn upside down a couple of times to get the right amount - that way it never spills and I never get too much on my hands

Aaand i love the faint cardamom smell, it reminds me of my grandmother :D

For redness caused by sensitivity and overuse of products, this doesn't seem like the most obvious choice, but definitely give it a try - I have the most unpredictable skin ever and it works for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2010 2:49:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had previously had used Decleor Oils, but I was tired of ordering online. Being a fan of Clarins anyhow, I asked the SA if they still made the Face oils. Apparently, even though they don't put these on display they are the cornerstone products for the Clarins company. I don't think people realize how good they are.

The Santal Oil is a botanical based and lavender smelling facial oil that is meant for Very dry, Dehydrated, irritated and sensitive skin. Even ladies with Rosacea may be able to use it. What I like about thise oil rather than the ones from Decleor is that even though it has a Lavender smell, it's not as strong as Decleor. This oil is THE only thing that is healing my Tazorac-dried out face. I've tried every moisturizer, even resorting to Aquaphor (which clogs my pores). This does not clog my pores, calms my red, dry irritated skin. It's oily going on but within 10 minutes, It's sunk into my skin and leaves it soft and dewy, not oily. It's a saving "Face" product for sure. I thought my face was going crack and bleed from the Taz but his has helped tremendously in getting rid of that dry, tight feeling in a matter of days. I understand that it is also supposed to overtime, tighten pores. We shall see about that. I am impressed with this product. It's the most expensive oil I've every bought but worth every dang-on penny.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2010 8:56:00 PM More reviews by madaba

Really nice -- I had read about it here and then when buying Clarins products the SA at the Bay gave me a sample of this. Applying oil to my face feels odd and yes, it does make it greasy (I only apply at night), but about 5 minutes after applying my skin tone evens out completely, with all redness gone. I've tried heavy-duty Shiseido creams at night but they tend to block my pores -- this doesn't.

Update: This is a wonderful product. Have been using it off and on for about four months now. I put it on at night and wake up with incredibly soft, radiant skin. And each use hardly even makes a dent in my little sample bottle! When I run out of the sample, I will definitely buy. This is the best night product out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2010 4:33:00 PM More reviews by chaosgreeneyed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Yes, my skin is noticeably softer in the mornings when I use this oil the night before. But its greasiness really puzzles me, it never sinks into my skin. The smell is very strong! And I really, really hate its packaging, 'cause it has no pump or something, and it's very easy to broke the glass bottle. On the other side, it is very emollent and the bottle seems to last forever. I've tried this on dry skin (less moisturizing, less greasy) and after different toning lotions (more moisturizing, but never sinks in).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Moremi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This oil is fantastic! Put it on before bed and wake up with super smooth skin. Smells wonderful and is expensive, but will last forever. The bottle is a bit annoying, i spilled out half my bottle because of that, so be careful.

There are three different kinds and I've tried the blue orchid too, but santal is my favorite.

Update: Now when my skin is acne prone, it feels odd to apply oil. This doesn't suit my skin type anymore. Jojoba oil is cheaper and better. I'll not change the rating, it's still a good oil IF it suits your skin. Now, I've putted this on my swap list. Good bye, once fantastic facial oil!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2009 8:22:00 AM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am really enjoying this product. I used to throw out the samples of oils I received in the old days - why??? It's great. I am currently testing the Santal oil because I had a bad reaction to the Clarins botanical tightening serum and the SA suggested the Santal oil to start to calm my skin. I was told by the facialist to actually mix it with water when applying because it will enhance absorption significantly. This is true - after cleansing and toning, I spray my face with thermal water (La Roche Posay, Avene) then apply the oil directly on the skin and pat in. It absorbs very quickly and my skin feels less itchy and tight right away. In a half hour, it is pretty much absorbed but my skin does not feel dry or tight at all - in fact, it feels smooth and soft and it feels like there is a cream in it. The redness also appears to be reduced. My skin does not look tight or have as many of those little dry lines that make me look all puckered up close! I have tried to use the gentle cream on top of it but that actually seemed to leave me with drier skin in the morning than if I use the oil alone, but I will still experiment and will update if there is a change. All in all, very pleased.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2009 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Jess0748

I have been using this product for several months now, and overall I think it is a good product. I love how moisturizing it is and I love the lavender like scent. It says that it is supposed to improve redness, but I haven't noticed any improvement in that area. I love that this product is more natural (being made of essential oils), but I don't know that works better or does anything more than a daily moisturizer. So, I am not sure if I would buy this again, but maybe.