MAC Satin - Grain

4.5

on 8/9/2013 4:21:00 PM

This product is a nice pigmented neutral color and can be worked great as a brow highlight or worn on the lid incorporating neutral, brown or green tones in the crease. MAC shadows have great staying power if you use the proper primer. I prefer NYX eyeshadow base or Urban Decay. This is a very simple color and can be found in about every brand out there. I only buy MAC shadows as a treat to myself as they are a bit pricey but it is a good quality product and a color very easy to work with.

on 7/24/2013 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I was searching for a satiny neutral no-brainer lid color recently.
Ricepaper was too warm, Shroom looked white-ish, Jest was lovely but quite peachy and All that glitters more orange-y and frosty than I'd like.
Grain is truly neutral and goes well with literary everything. I always use TFSI and didn't have problems with longevity. The major con is that I have to try hard to pack it with my 239 brush since the texture is quite stiff and dry. I love this color but won't repurchase.

on 6/13/2013 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I used to use naked lunch as my everyday look, but I think Grain is replacing it! Grain looks like an expensive, sophisticated eyeshadow and it is. The MAC makeup artist used grain on my lid and bamboo on my crease and the result.....EFFORTLESSLY beautiful look!! Looks like I don't have eyeshadow but my eyes look vibrant , awake and sexy. It's definitely what I wanted my "naked" eye look to look like!! I love it so much. I am NC20, yellow undertoned asian girl.

on 2/28/2013 6:17:00 PM

Grain is just Orb with frost. It's very pretty but the sheen makes it less versatile than Orb.

on 11/23/2012 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm on the fence with Grain, but it has come to grow on me. It's a light, neutral beige with a sheen (satin formula). It shows on my eyes (NC25, hazel eyes) with a slight silver undertone. I use it on my lids with Copperplate (a matte grey-lavender) or Cross Cultural (matte brown) in the crease and outer v. It's okay but nothing spectacular. I do really like it as a cheekbone highlight since it's so neutral but has that pretty sheen. If I were to repurchase, it would be as a highlighter and not an eyeshadow.
**EDIT** I'm liking Grain more and more. Worn on the lid with Omega built up in the crease and outer v gives a "no-makeup make-up" look.

on 8/7/2012 9:09:00 PM

I just had to give MAC Grain some love. It doesn't look like much in the pan, sort of a ho-hum kind of beigy color. But, when you sweep Grain on- WOW. It's gorgeous. Not too sparkly or frosty, but a nice subtle shimmer that brightens without screaming disco ball. My favorite look is to pair Grain with Satin Taupe in the crease and a light sweep of Mylar just under the brow bone along with a light line of Sephora's Taupe waterproof eyeliner on upper and lower lash lines. A very nice look that isn't too overpowering for daytime. I'm already making a dent in my pan and I haven't even had it a month. Love it!

on 8/7/2012 12:10:00 PM

Grain is a soft, peachy beige; it's a satin finish shadow and one of the first Mac shadows I ever purchased, back when it came in the larger container (the company later started packaging Grain--along with several other oversized shadows-- in the smaller, regular sized pots). The only reason I can think of that these were ever in larger pots is because they were meant to be all over washes or base colors, so more product would be used. The color Bisque was also packaged this way.
Grain is one of those colors that can be underwhelming and often gets underestimated, but I find it rather unique; I've yet to find an exact (or nearly exact) dupe for it, with the same color *and* texture. Being a satin finish means it won't dazzle with shimmer, and to some it might be rather plain. But like Shroom, which is also a satin, it exudes a subtle and understated glow. The color is a bit darker than Vanilla or Shroom, but for light and medium skintones, it's still light enough to be used all over the lid, and/or under the brow or inner corners. . . so it's very versatile. I consider it a warm leaning color, but I think it could be used with a range of neutral colors.
Like another reviewer, I often use this when I just want a clean simple look. If I want more shimmer, I can add a lighter and/or shimmery shadow to the center of the lid and under the brow. This shadow also looks great on my lower lid, where it disguises purplish or red discolorations and really brightens up my eyes. Hence it works so well on lazy or tired days and weekends just bumming around. It can used for a no makeup look--or played up along with other warm or neutral colors for something more elaborate. Because of this versatility, Grain is a great take-along shadow. It is part of my "desert island" eyeshadow palette, a collection of four mac staples in pans, placed in an empty elf compact (the exact shape and size of the empty mac four pan ones, only more durable and with a mirror; $1.00 at target!). Its traveling companions are Vanilla, Shroom, and Wedge. I still have my old large one but bought a pro pan size just so I could do this. I really love this color!

on 7/5/2012 12:26:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I wasn't sure about Grain at almost returned it, but I'm so glad I didn't. I have pale, yellow toned skin (pics in profile) and brown eyes and I was looking for more neutral less shimmery shadows instead of my usual rubenesque p/p or mac tweet me metallic e/s. Everytime I tried grain on my lid, it turned like a cool toned pale pink on me and I have warm tones in my skin so I didn't find it very flattering. But then I tried layering on top of a more intense shimmery color (like amber lights) and it really toned it down, took away some of the orange and metallic to make it a more neutral everyday color. I also wear it over an apricot lid color like arena if I want to have a little bit of pink undertones that still flatter my skin tone.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Grain is something i reach for a lot when i want a clean look that is almost matte, but a little heavy in the crease. i apply this from lid to right under my eyebrow, and then what i've enjoyed doing lately is to put 'Shadowy Lady' in the outer corner and blend 'Haux' lightly over it all. i find with that, i get this multitonal purpley matte-but-not-matte look.
but back to the actual colour of Grain, this reminds me a little bit like the inside of a shell. very soft pale beige with a hint of dewiness. on my eyelids, it settles as just that. a nude like 'Brule' but with a dewiness that looks like it comes naturally from my skin. i find that it's also a little easier to blend colours over this than it is with 'Brule'.
the one negative with this is, it's a bit hard to pack this onto my lid and build up, it's a little chalky. but what i find helps with this, is to apply it with more of a denser brush that you can really get into the eyeshadow with. you could also try this wet or over a darker base if you are unhappy with its payoff.
i would repurchase this because although it's not a 'special' colour i've found that i've been reaching for it a lot when i have something specific in mind, and it's also very pretty. a useful shade!

on 5/19/2012 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

MAC Grain is a lovely light warm beige with a unique sheen.
It brings a subtle light to my NC35 eyelids which looks quietly polished. It is like my eyelids but a touch lighter and better. I usually use Cork for my crease and they make a great pair.

Grain has a satin finish and applies well and blends with ease. My perfect everyday neutral lid shade!

Top Rated MAC Products