August 20, 2014 | 1863 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Satin - Grain

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

Grain is just Orb with frost. It's very pretty but the sheen makes it less versatile than Orb.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by Poofers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm on the fence with Grain, but it has come to grow on me. It's a light, neutral beige with a sheen (satin formula). It shows on my eyes (NC25, hazel eyes) with a slight silver undertone. I use it on my lids with Copperplate (a matte grey-lavender) or Cross Cultural (matte brown) in the crease and outer v. It's okay but nothing spectacular. I do really like it as a cheekbone highlight since it's so neutral but has that pretty sheen. If I were to repurchase, it would be as a highlighter and not an eyeshadow.
**EDIT** I'm liking Grain more and more. Worn on the lid with Omega built up in the crease and outer v gives a "no-makeup make-up" look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by sizza911

I just had to give MAC Grain some love. It doesn't look like much in the pan, sort of a ho-hum kind of beigy color. But, when you sweep Grain on- WOW. It's gorgeous. Not too sparkly or frosty, but a nice subtle shimmer that brightens without screaming disco ball. My favorite look is to pair Grain with Satin Taupe in the crease and a light sweep of Mylar just under the brow bone along with a light line of Sephora's Taupe waterproof eyeliner on upper and lower lash lines. A very nice look that isn't too overpowering for daytime. I'm already making a dent in my pan and I haven't even had it a month. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 12:10:00 PM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Grain is a soft, peachy beige; it's a satin finish shadow and one of the first Mac shadows I ever purchased, back when it came in the larger container (the company later started packaging Grain--along with several other oversized shadows-- in the smaller, regular sized pots). The only reason I can think of that these were ever in larger pots is because they were meant to be all over washes or base colors, so more product would be used. The color Bisque was also packaged this way.
Grain is one of those colors that can be underwhelming and often gets underestimated, but I find it rather unique; I've yet to find an exact (or nearly exact) dupe for it, with the same color *and* texture. Being a satin finish means it won't dazzle with shimmer, and to some it might be rather plain. But like Shroom, which is also a satin, it exudes a subtle and understated glow. The color is a bit darker than Vanilla or Shroom, but for light and medium skintones, it's still light enough to be used all over the lid, and/or under the brow or inner corners. . . so it's very versatile. I consider it a warm leaning color, but I think it could be used with a range of neutral colors.
Like another reviewer, I often use this when I just want a clean simple look. If I want more shimmer, I can add a lighter and/or shimmery shadow to the center of the lid and under the brow. This shadow also looks great on my lower lid, where it disguises purplish or red discolorations and really brightens up my eyes. Hence it works so well on lazy or tired days and weekends just bumming around. It can used for a no makeup look--or played up along with other warm or neutral colors for something more elaborate. Because of this versatility, Grain is a great take-along shadow. It is part of my "desert island" eyeshadow palette, a collection of four mac staples in pans, placed in an empty elf compact (the exact shape and size of the empty mac four pan ones, only more durable and with a mirror; $1.00 at target!). Its traveling companions are Vanilla, Shroom, and Wedge. I still have my old large one but bought a pro pan size just so I could do this. I really love this color!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wasn't sure about Grain at almost returned it, but I'm so glad I didn't. I have pale, yellow toned skin (pics in profile) and brown eyes and I was looking for more neutral less shimmery shadows instead of my usual rubenesque p/p or mac tweet me metallic e/s. Everytime I tried grain on my lid, it turned like a cool toned pale pink on me and I have warm tones in my skin so I didn't find it very flattering. But then I tried layering on top of a more intense shimmery color (like amber lights) and it really toned it down, took away some of the orange and metallic to make it a more neutral everyday color. I also wear it over an apricot lid color like arena if I want to have a little bit of pink undertones that still flatter my skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

Grain is something i reach for a lot when i want a clean look that is almost matte, but a little heavy in the crease. i apply this from lid to right under my eyebrow, and then what i've enjoyed doing lately is to put 'Shadowy Lady' in the outer corner and blend 'Haux' lightly over it all. i find with that, i get this multitonal purpley matte-but-not-matte look.
but back to the actual colour of Grain, this reminds me a little bit like the inside of a shell. very soft pale beige with a hint of dewiness. on my eyelids, it settles as just that. a nude like 'Brule' but with a dewiness that looks like it comes naturally from my skin. i find that it's also a little easier to blend colours over this than it is with 'Brule'.
the one negative with this is, it's a bit hard to pack this onto my lid and build up, it's a little chalky. but what i find helps with this, is to apply it with more of a denser brush that you can really get into the eyeshadow with. you could also try this wet or over a darker base if you are unhappy with its payoff.
i would repurchase this because although it's not a 'special' colour i've found that i've been reaching for it a lot when i have something specific in mind, and it's also very pretty. a useful shade!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by NishaDS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

MAC Grain is a lovely light warm beige with a unique sheen.
It brings a subtle light to my NC35 eyelids which looks quietly polished. It is like my eyelids but a touch lighter and better. I usually use Cork for my crease and they make a great pair.

Grain has a satin finish and applies well and blends with ease. My perfect everyday neutral lid shade!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE this eyeshadow!! I was in search for something natural for work that I could just rub all over my lid and add some Mystery or Charcoal Brown on top or as a liner, and this is a perfect neutral for me. I am NC20, really yellow. So yellow in fact that this color actually shows up a little peachy on me, which I love, because it neutralizes and highlights what would otherwise be blue/purplish dark areas on the inner corners of my eyes. And I like that the texture isn't extremely glittery or crazy shiny, but has just enough zip to look professional and polished. I got a shadow from Sally's called Champagne by a company called Palladio... it's one of those "baked" shadows. When I put it on, I looked like a sparkly drag queen and had to mix some cheap maybelline matte eyeshadow on top of it. Great for going out which I don't do that much anymore because I'm getting older, but no bueno for work. Grain is really the best of both worlds if you want a natural, pretty and polished look. I don't know what everyone else's deal is about not getting this to show up - the color payoff is just as good as any of Mac's other eyeshadows.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Zabby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this as a Back to MAC which is unfortunate because I can't return it.
The texture is terrible. I cannot get the colour to show up on me (NC15-20). With primer, without primer, wet, or dry. Nothing. It is a complete waste.
I'm starting to expect this hit-or-miss experience from MAC eyeshadows, in terms of texture/pigmentation issues. Its great that they have so many colours but whats the point if they wont show up on the lid? MAC will not be a go-to for eyeshadow for me in the future.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2012 8:20:00 PM More reviews by canadian

Neutral to warm skin tone, NC25/NW25ish.

Grain is a light beige color. When I wear it on my lids it's quite soft, doesn't show up too much unless I pack it on.. I use Grain on my eyelids when I want a very natural look with Cork in the crease. I tend to use this color more as a brow highlight or inner eye highlighter. It gives more of a soft highlight look.

Grain has a satin finish and it not shimmery.

I would repurchase