OPI Natural Nail Base Coat

3.8

Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Ethyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Polyvinyl Butyral, Nitrocellulose, Camphor, Benzophenone 1, Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Protein, Keratin Amino Acids, D&C Red 33

on 11/9/2013 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I love this base coat. It prevents staining, my nails look as if I have never painted them even if I used dark colours or paint them a lot (I haven't gone without nail colour in almost a year). I have no issues with chipping. I also like the fact that it gives my nails a pink-ish tint at first because then I know if I covered my whole nails. I also like that it's fast drying and the brush applies evenly in one or two strokes. I definitely recommend this one.

on 8/29/2013 3:17:00 PM

Hate it. It's absolutely terrible. I gave it two lippies since it does prevent staining and dries very quickly, but IT MAKES MY NAIL POLISH PEEL OFF. Within a DAY, it will start to lift off at the ends and PEEL. It just comes right off. My nail polish last longer WITHOUT this base coat. It was from opi, so i definately expected better. Will NOT repurchase

on 8/23/2013 8:00:00 AM

I use this just as clear polish. It's very high gloss, and has a nice, wide brush. It started to chip in 2 or 3 days, peeling off in chunks in less than a week. Very disappointing for the brand name and the price.

on 8/18/2013 2:22:00 AM

It's like most nail base coats, but I fine it last a long time and gives you a nice natural look. I do recommend this product. I like it.

on 8/13/2013 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I've tried so many base/top coat combos & they never work. This base coat is made for natural nails & of course the OPI brush is the best! Using this with one of my fave top coats INM Out The Door I get a good few days with lil tip wear.

on 4/30/2013 12:37:00 PM

I've got same problem as some of others, this base coat turns to create small bubbles and makes the application extremely frustrating. Also it doesn't last long like other OPI polishes, it became thick and sticky in the end and makes it even harder to apply. Now I have to give it up.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm sorry to bring down the ratings on this one, but I have gone through almost a full bottle of this stuff and will not be repurchasing. Yes, this base coat seems to prevent staining quite well and it dries very quickly, but that's only half of what a base coat should do. This does not extend the wear of my nail polish at all; in fact, it makes my polish peel off (rather than chip). This doesn't happen nearly as quickly or often when I'm not wearing the base coat. I don't know why, but it just doesn't bond to my nails very well at all. Also, while it can apply smoothly, I always get one or two nails that it bubbles on, creating an uneven canvas for my colour. I really wanted to love this base coat because I think OPI makes such good products, I love their brushes, and they don't test on animals, but this one is just a miss for me.
In my experience, matte, translucent base coats are much better at filling in ridges, bonding to my nails, and making my colour last than shiny transparent ones like this. When I finish this up I am going to get one like that; I seem to remember Cutex making a good one years ago, so I'll check them out again.

on 12/25/2012 10:18:00 AM

Love this! Dries super quickly, makes my polish last, makes a nice even coat whether I use a thin or thick layer. Hasn't gotten thick over time either.

This is a great base coat. It goes on smoothly and evenly, and dries pretty quickly. OPI never lets me down! This is a must buy for a quick and efficient base coat! I would def. recommend. I'm almost out of mine..I need to buy some more!!

I've only just started using this, so I probably shouldn't really review it yet, but I thought I'd at least note my initial thoughts.
I got this quite cheap, $12.95 AU. Not sure what base coats cost here but as a guide OPI polishes are $19.95 AU.
I've never used a proper base coat before, if I used one at all I'd use Nail Envy or something similar and I always found them a bit thick, and sometimes made my polish chip or interfered with it adhering. Most of the time I get the best wear out of my polish with no basecoat at all!
This is nice and thin and dried very quickly, which I like a lot. It's tinted pink but dries clear. The pink actually helps me see where I've put it, which I like. I did have some minor bubbling in my polish, but I suspect that was more about the polish than the base coat- it was OPI In my back pocket, which I think needs a drop or two of thinner.
The experiment continues!