October 22, 2014 | 1907 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Bois des Iles

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was the third of five fragrances from Chanel's Les Exclusifs line that I recently added to my collection, it started with Coromandel, then Jersey, Bois des Óles, Beige and lastly, No. 22. Bois des Óles definitely has a more floral opening than what I am used to as I have mostly soft woody oriental gourmands in my collection, and I enjoy venturing out a bit here. To me Bois des Óles is somewhat similar to 22, typical for Chanels, it is heavy on aldehydes, with a creamier base note. That base note consisting of Sandalwood, Vanilla and Tonka Bean with a hint of Vetyver is very soft and comforting to me. Unfortunately, the Sandalwood is not as prominent as others' reviews had made me hope for. Bois des Óles is quite versatile, I can wear this at home as well as to work because it stays rather close. I agree with several other reviewers that the lasting power of this fragrance is a lot shorter than some of the other Exclusifs. I received this as a gift, and I will gladly use it, but since it is close to No. 22 which I prefer I will likely not repurchase Bois des Óles. Beautiful classy Chanel spray bottle, 6.8 oz, retails for $210.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by FlameDancer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Bois des Iles is a pure, clean, crystalline representation of sandalwood, set in a perfectly arranged bouquet of aldehydic flowers with culinary spices smoldering dryly underneath, perfuming the whole like the fragrant smoke of clean Japanese incense.

There is something wealthy about Bois des Iles, but not in an ostentatious way -- each ingredient within the composition seems to be of the very highest quality, and like a great meal, instead of being drenched in heavy sauces, each ingredient shines with the simple perfection of its natural state. The ingredients together produce a magnificent experience.

The sandalwood in Bois des Iles has a distinctly animalic and slightly leathery quality, and reminds me of human sexual smells and the slight glow of clean, healthy people. This component is hardly dirty, though. It's like a perfect, distilled smell of exquisite humanness. There is much more of this quality in the parfum than the edt -- the parfum leans toward raunchiness and reminds me a little of horses and leather tack, while in the edt, this component is only a light mist that lends warmth and humanity to the whole of the composition.

I love Bois des Iles because its simplicity and richness reminds me of an exquisite moss garden in that it's deceptively complex and intricate, but seems completely uncluttered and beautifully ordered nonetheless. It makes me feel utterly calm and beautiful. It's a meditation on abstract living flowers floating in an ancient sandalwood bowl, wrapped in chic French aldehydes. It's the epitome of simple, luxurious quality, and it glows in an aura of deliciously good taste.

The edt is deceptively long lasting. BdI doesn't scream, despite the basenote-heavy composition, so it won't whomp you over the head with a projected "smell," but instead it shrouds you lightly in a rich golden sparkling aura. The parfum is decidedly more noticeable and animalic, and it seems denser. All of the notes project louder and with more presence. The edt is like the whisper of a soft, impossibly expensive cashmere dress shimmering with gold dust, where the parfum is like a heavy silk satin sheath. Both are incredible.

Because it's expensive and has limited availability, it has an exclusivity factor that makes it very intriguing. It's not the sort of thing you'll smell everywhere, and it's certainly unique, but at the same time, I can't imagine it offending anyone's nose. It's not controversial, overtly sexual or quirky, but neither does it smell like anything else -- It's just delectable beauty of the highest quality.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by joeyemma

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently bought a 75ml bottle of Bois des Iles from Selfridges in Manchester. The 75ml bottle is £100 and definitely makes it the most expensive EDT I have ever bought.

I think its fabulous, earthy and woody. It has excellent silage. I wore it at work the other day and got several comments about how fantastic it was. I got told I smelt beautiful and sophisticated, without being girly and flowery.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by MissChanel24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very lovely fragrance as can be expected of Chanel - created initially in 1926. This is like a fresher and soapier version of no5 with added sandalwood, gingerbread accord and a TINY bit of incense that was in no22. This is great fragrance and definitely one of the best in the Les Exclusifs line. I really love this fragrance for autumn and maybe for winter too, although i'd wear no5 and coco for winter. This is a very elegant soapy sandalwood scent. Like a previous reviewer said, Bois des Iles does for sandalwood what no5 does for jasmine... I completely agree. I will DEFINITELY repurchase this fragrance - no doubt! :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2011 1:17:00 AM More reviews by apparently

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like many others, I thought this was going to blow my mind. Nope. Curiously flat on me, and I'm not getting woods or gingerbread or any of the other promised notes. It smells genteely oriental. Generic rich person.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 3:30:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Bois de Iles is warm, fuzzy, woody oriental with an opening splash of Chanel aldehydes. The Guide stated that Bois de Iles was like the brunette sister of No.5, and I totally agree: it has the same deep murky fuzzy wood notes but Bois de Iles is lighter, perhaps a little more laid back. I would even say Bois de Iles was like the brunette little sister, and is a better "fresher" version of No. 5 than Eau Premiere (which was ash on my skin). Perfect for those early fall days when you want something a little deeper but not too strong, a nice light blazer rather than a heavy peacoat.

Would I buy Bois de Iles? Someday, but it's low on my priority list. Inez by BPAL is pretty similar, like a scent cousin, and significantly cheaper though it comes in only 5ml bottles. If you like Bois de Iles but don't want to spend $110, Inez is a fine substitute; likewise if you like Inez and want more than 5ml, Bois de Iles is where to go. When I finally run out of my bottle of Inez I'll buy Bois de Iles, but not till then.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

On my skin, Bois des Iles is all about that dusty sweet sandalwood. It goes from power aldehydes to that spicy sweet gingerbread and then rests with sandalwood .It remains quite a strong sandalwood for some hours and this is the EDT ( Les Exclusifs version ) . There is very little iris on me ,little floral too. It's a beauty ,smooth and very Chanel .Unisex.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2011 10:36:00 AM More reviews by KKAI

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am on the fence about this. Initially you get the signature Chanel aldehydes and it gets kind of soapy. After a while, there is a hint of feminine, sweet woodiness. I would definitely describe as a cosy scent, not really appropriate for warm weather. Intense but not really long-lasting and not worth a full bottle purchase IMO. Ideally, it would be 2.5 lippies.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2011 8:10:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

finally got to smell all the exclusifs and this was the one I bought. Don't get me wrong, most of them were pretty nice but this one is in a class of its own. Warm cuddly and soft sandalwood, not harsh or metalic like polysantol but much closer to the real mysore which I smelt once about 20 years ago and never forgot. Has a pretty iris note too. This scent smells to me what luxury should be, gorgeous, soft and understated - class in glass

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 5:15:00 PM More reviews by whitecountess

This is the perfume equivalent of cashmere or silk, something soft that lingers on the skin.. If it were a voice, it would be Kathleen Turner's. Interesting that Bois is called a "woodsy" scent, because I get the most exquisite Iris which dries to a light and sexy musk.
It is a scent you could wear every day for years. To tremendous effect.
Or just on those days where you want a warm blanket, cup of tea, and a book.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No