April 19, 2014 | 1703 users online

Conditioner - Giovanni - Smooth As Silk Conditioner

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by lilstar35

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been searching for a good conditioner for my hair and happen to come across this at a Target. It was around $8.00 and after reading raving reviews for it on MU, I thought I would give it a shot.
I really tried to like this conditioner, but sadly it did nothing for my hair except leave it very dry and lifeless. It did make my hair silky while I was working it into my hair in the shower, but as soon as I washed it out my hair became super dry.
Now I am trying to finish up the bottle that I have just so it doesn't go to waste. I will not be repurchasing this product again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This is a decent lightweight conditioner. Provides good slip, detangles easily, left my hair super-soft & manageable. And it's not expensive either! No complaints really, but I wouldn't buy this again. I need more heavy-duty moisture from my conditioner.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Katedutch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased the Smooth As Silk Conditioner (liter) at TJ Maxx for around $12 (I love that the liter has a pump!). Someone on here had mentioned it smelling like coconut, which I was kind of excited about, but it really doesn't smell like coconut. Actually, it oddly smells like fruit loops. It smells pretty nice once my hair is dry, unlike the strong breakfast cereal scent when applied. I usually TRIPLE condition to make sure that my hair is really soft and tangle free. I also did this with my Suave conditioner. Basically, after shampooing, I condition and let it sit in my hair for a few minutes, rinse out & then I usually find my hair is still a little dry so I recondition. After the second time, it's pretty soft, but I do a third time so that I can easily slip my fingers right through. I don't have to do this with my Pureology conditioner, which is why it is definitely worth the hefty price tag, but I really don't mind having to do so with the Smooth As Silk - as long as the end result is luxuriously soft, frizz-free waves. My hair seems much tamer after using this, I don't really have to worry about using finishing products to soften or make it look silky. It looks and feels incredibly healthy.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2012 9:30:00 PM More reviews by kayclover

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This isn't just similar to TJ Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner ($4) - it is exactly the same, ingredient by ingredient.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by citygirl123

This is, without a doubt, my holy grail conditioner.

My whole life, I've never been able to stay faithful to a shampoo or conditioner. I just never felt like one particular brand or product, high end or drugstore, was really all that amazing or better than the other. As long as I picked a product that was fit for my hair type, I was never disappointed or overwhelmed by its awesomeness. Until I tried the Giovanni hair products.

I've recently started to switch my skincare and haircare products to all natural ones, and I just randomly picked up the Giovanni tea tree shampoo and smooth and silk conditioner at Ulta, and I fell in love. This conditioner leaves my hair so soft and smooth and very hydrated. I don't have very problematic hair - it's always been really thick, strong and healthy. But over the past year I've started to experiment with curling irons and such, and my hair started to show some slight damage on the ends. This conditioner does an amazing job and repairing my ends, and leaves my hair the softest it's ever been! Plus, there aren't a ton of chemicals packed into this conditioner, either, which is a huge plus.

The only downside is that the packaging can be tricky at times. I find that I usually just have to completely remove the top when it gets down the last quarter of product because since the bottle is thin and wide, it's hard to squeeze out.

But I cannot recommend this conditioner enough. I really don't have a need to try any other kinds, which is saying a lot for me! I've been through about three bottles now so I think it's safe to say I'm in love.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 10:26:00 AM More reviews by MissJulie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

*I'm reviewing this conditioner as a leave-in. Also, for reference, my hair is long, thick, dry and curly.*
Recently, GVP Conditioning Balm and I had to take a little break. Things were becoming uninteresting in our relationship. I met Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner, and instantly became enamored. I introduced it to GVP (whom I still love, of course), and now we share one another happily. I know, it's a strange situation, but don't judge our love.
Price: Giovanni shampoos and conditioners usually run around $6.99-$7.99, depending on the store. They usually don't exceed that, which is acceptable. I'd like a little bit more product for my cash, but watcha gonna do. I saw that Giovanni has released enormous sizes of their shampoos and conditioners at certain beauty supply stores, so I'll probably shell out the cash for a giganto bottle of this.
Packaging: So chic-looking. The rectangle shape is so classy, and the fonts, very sparse graphics and their placement are all so graphically gorgeous. However, I kinda have a problem with the bottle shape. It's not particularly irritating, but it *is* kind of difficult to get the last of the product out of the bottle. Other than that, it's awesome.
Consistency: Not very thick, and a teeny bit gel-like, which makes for an ingenious leave-in. It has superior spread and allows for the easiest detangling and combing, EVER. My hair's snarls and tangles succumb to this conditioner like no other.
Scent: A light, pleasant, unobtrusive, quick-fading citrus fragrance. And the good kind of citrus, too- not a sharp, chemically kitchen cleaner citrus. It actually kinda reminds me of lemon meringue pie; it's citrusy-sweet. Mmm.
Ingredients: Too nice. Mostly natural and very, very few not-so-natural ingredients scattered along the very, very bottom of the list. Other than that, it feels nice knowing that I'm not slathering chemicals all over my head. No dyes, no parabens, no silicones, no nasty stuff, and only a natural fragrance. Yay!
Performance: Absolutely brilliant. After my shower, I section my wet hair into three parts (left, right and back) and use a little over a pea-sized amount for each section. I can just effortlessly glide this conditioner through my tangles. Combing is miraculously easy. When my hair dries, it remains shiny, smooth and moisturized without any overly-weighed down feeling. My curls look amazing when I use this. I believe this is due to the silicones in this conditioner, but whatever. I love cones anyway. I haven't experienced any real build-up while using this, either.
Overall: If you have thick, dry hair (curly or not), this is seriously worth it to pick up and try as a leave-in. It might make your life a thousand times easier. I love it, and you might, too! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by LolaButterflies05

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have thick wavy/curly hair. My hair frizzes a lot and I need constant moisture to tame my hair. Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner did not make my hair feel oily afterward rinsing it out of my hair and my hair looked great when I used heat on my hair to straighten.

I love the fragrance of this product and the price is not too pricey for the size.

This is the best conditioner that I have purchased.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2012 7:27:00 AM More reviews by julevasquez

Horrible. The shampoo made my hair dry and brittle. This conditioner did nothing to counter act that. The fragrance was nice though. No impressed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2012 8:33:00 PM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Mmmmmh... this really doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, but there is nothing 'wow' about it. It doesn't drench my hair in moisture and that is what I like. I also understand it has a light protein and I am kinda protein sensitive. The problem is I bought the large size from massagewarehouse.com. I won't be repurchasing but I will finish this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by HotWolfie

I have thick, coarse hair, and I usually keep it shoulder length or mid back. When my hair gets wet it has a tendency to "scrunch" up and it's impossible to get a comb through until it's mostly dry. With Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner my hair is not only soft and shiny, it's also manageable and tangle free. I love it! The smell is wonderful too. The only thing I don't care for is the bottle.