Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

4.6

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 5/6/2014 2:07:00 PM

I'm so glad I got this powder, it's amazing !! I bought this, the luxury powder in buff and translucent powder in fair and I love them all. If you suffer from an oily t-zone like me then try this little tip... After letting moisturiser sink in, I shake a little neutral set powder on a big powder brush (either Liz Earle large powder brush or Real Techniques powder brush) and buff into my nose, chin and forehead. Then I apply Bourjois CC cream (another amazing find by the way), touch up with concealer if necessary but I find using the neutral set powder as a primer really helps with the coverage of my base, then I powder with either the luxury powder or the translucent powder, quite heavily in fact as they never seem to look overdone no matter how much I apply, then my usual bronzer (if I decide to) and blush. I then take a teeny tiny amount of neutral set on a sheer finish powder brush by Bobbi Brown and lightly dust my nose and chin again and honestly my skin is matt but glowy and pores are airbrushed into oblivion with no white cast. This keeps my nose and chin shine free for about a good five hours and really stops any separation of my base around the creases of my nose. I have an obsession with face powder, especially loose powder and I have tried so many, Chanel was my No 1 until I tried Ben Nye powders and I have to say I'm thrilled. I ordered the 49 gram shaker jar of this for only 4 (30 grams of Chanel loose powder cost me 32) and I plan on purchasing the 226 gram size jar of neutral set, the luxury powder in buff and the fair translucent powder as soon as possible, they're that good. The neutral set powder contains an ingredient to help with perspiration. Even this wee size will last me ages and is good for travelling as it's not bulky. I just wish I'd tried these sooner and will never be without. I personally like the packaging as I just shake the powder into another loose powder lid when applying. All Ben Nye powders are talc based but that doesn't worry me in the slightest. Amazing powders especially for the price and I love the subtle talcum powder smell. It's worth trying anyway, the worst that can happen is you lose a few quid, (you can always pass it on to someone else) and I've personally wasted much more trying products that don't hold a candle to this. Big thumbs up from me :)

on 4/29/2014 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Edit: i am heartbroken this breaks me out like crazy. As soon as i put this on, my face starts stinging and by end of day, i feel painful pimples developing. I am not downgrading it because it works wonders if you are not allergic to it. I have the other colors and they work fine on my T-zone so there must be one ingredient in the translucent that does not agree with me. I guess i'll have to go back to my expensive mac prep+prime.

Works very well: controls oil and adds no color. But if you have dry skin be careful. Will cause dry spots on dry areas. I only use this On my T-Zone because i am very dry on my cheeks and jaw line. If you have oily skin, you will LOVE the ben nye translucent powders.

on 3/19/2014 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My favourite powder, lasts ages, sets every foundation I've tried and lasts all day. only downside is the bottle. I paid about 8 pound for it online for it in the UK and compared it to my usual powder which I pay more than double that price for for 0.75 oz and this is a 3oz. Best value powder out there with amazing results.

on 3/5/2014 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder is serious stuff and when it works, my face stays matte all day. That being said, I've had it look fantastic and I've had it cake up. I've had it look flawless and natural, and I've also managed to look like my face was made of powder particles. It's been rather hit or miss and I suspect it has a lot to do with product interaction, how much is applied, and how long I've waited for my foundation to really dry down before applying. Although it might sound strange, I've found that properly moisturizing my face prior to application helped a lot. When it works, it really works, but it's been such a struggle to get it to work that I usually opt for my more reliable option, the Catrice Prime and Fine mattifying loose powder. I also found this to be more successful for me in the summer than in the winter, because you know, this powder comes in a massive bottle, so I've tried it in all seasons, and I'll probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.

Despite sounding on the fence about it, if you really struggle with oil control, this is worth trying. It's not going to break the bank, and as us oily gals know, we'll try anything to tame our faces. It can work. It does work. It just takes some experimentation to get there.

on 2/8/2014 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry to be one of the only few nay-sayers to this wonderful product, but I've had FAR better results using the cheapest drugstore powder I could find, versus using this stuff to set my BB cream. No matter how I applied this powder (using blotting sheets before applying the powder, using a powder puff to apply the powder, using a powder brush to apply the powder, using a stippling brush to apply the powder, tapping off the excess, which I always do anyways, before applying, etc.), I absolutely could not stop this powder from caking HORRIBLY on me. I had to go and wash my face every time I set my make-up with this stuff because the caking was just THAT bad. Also, although I could blend out this powder onto my wrist and have it disappear completely, it very obviously lightened my BB cream by about a shade whenever I applied it onto my face (probably because I tried not to buff it too much into my face as not to displace my BB cream).

I'm so torn over this product; I've never seen a single review saying that this powder (or any other Ben Nye powder for that matter) was the least bit cakey, and I truly believe this because I've watched plenty of demos on YouTube where the people who applied this stuff had the most flawless finishes! I don't know why, but it just cakes so, so, so terribly on me. I got the Ben Nye neutral set powder from eBay from a reputable seller (spotlight_21), so I doubt authenticity is an issue here. Also, the oil control is no different from any other powder I've ever used; I still oiled up considerably by the two-hour mark. The packaging is also quite awful and messy... I really wish I hadn't spent $16 on the massive 8 oz. jar. :(

Despite how awful this stuff looks on me, I wouldn't exactly recommend NOT buying it... And I say this because I seem to be only one of an extreme minority who ends up with a really cakey finish every time I set my BB cream with this powder. For the other 99% of people who use this, this powder sets their make-up really beautifully and so, I can't exactly say not to get it... But I will recommend those who are still interested in this powder to first get a sample of this stuff that comes in a sifter jar. Not only do you have a mess-free way of testing out this powder via the sifter jar, but you also won't regret buying this stuff if you end up not liking this powder like I didn't.

on 1/29/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Uugh. I'm sorry, maybe I am just too spoiled after using Mac blot.. but this does not compare.

Talc is the main ingredient here, and kaolin is the main one in Mac blot. They're uncomparable, sorry.

This makes my foundation look awful (Colorstay) and I'm oily in two or three hours. D:
Very disappointed. Back to the expensive Mac! haha. Maybeline dream matte mousse is pretty good too.

EDIT: While this is cakey over foundation, this week I've been trying it alone over my moisturizer. It seems to work better this way, so it probably depends on which foundation you're using. HOWEVER...it cakes under my eyes still, so it's not that impressive.

on 11/29/2013 8:15:00 AM

This is a good powder. It performs as well as higher-end products, and for significantly less money! It's a bit hard to come by, unfortunately but theatrical products shops should stock it. I've used a number of expensive powders in the past, including Giorgio Armani (loved it, though it had a slightly shiny finish), Becca (very good, great shades), Dior (very good) and Chanel (did not like it as it darkened my makeup and was too peachy). This is just neutral and translucent - no colour, no coverage. I like having one powder that is simply sheer. Will update regarding how it performs (oil control etc.).

P.S. Some reviewers are concerned about parabens; actually, the Chanel powder also has these - I would guess all powders do, since they are very common preservatives. They are present in infinitesimally small amounts in skincare, and I seriously would not worry about them. Skincare and cosmetics do not absorb through your skin anyway. (According to Paula Begoun, "In-vivo testing demonstrated parabens [in skincare were] 10,000 times weaker than naturally occurring phytoestrogens, such as those found in the foods and medicines we consume every day.")

on 9/13/2013 6:11:00 PM

I love this product! Before purchasing this Ben Nye powder I used MAC translucent powder comparing the two products you get a lot more of the Ben Nye powder for less than half of what you would pay for the MAC powder. I paid about $8 for the 1.75g container and I have had this for over a month and am not even half way through it! Trust me when I say the smallest amount goes along way. The thing I love most about this product besides the price is that it doesn't leave you with a white cast on your face and you literally apply it once and you won't need to retouch your make up allday. Since Ben Nye is used for theatrical purposes when you sweat your make up won't smudge or go anywhere. I have purchased almost all of the Ben Nye powders and was impressed with everyone of them. Just give you an idea of how much product your getting for your money with the translucent powder the largest size they sell is an 8 oz. jar which retails for only $13 talk about a deal!

on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.

on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

Recommended for Normal Skin