July 31, 2014 | 1974 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #219 Pencil Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Asti1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love my pencil brush for a variety of reasons. One is to use it to smudge my pencil liner into my top lashes. Two is to apply dark eyeshadows in my outer V, as I have very small eyes. Three is to use it as a brow shader. It's such a versatile brush that everyone should own one of these. X

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this for the sole purpose of blending colors on my LLL precisely. Unfortunately it doesn't do that. For some reason it automatically drags itself further down my lash line no matter how hard I try to keep it AT the lash line it just goes down like it has a mind of its own.

However, because I have small eyes this works really well creating outer V's. Very precises and grabs color real well.

One lippie off for the scratchy bristles.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Spamstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I agree with the previous reviewer that says this is scratchy; I swapped for several MAC brushes (as well as some that I purchased directly from MAC) and I have to say: I have NOT BEEN IMPRESSED with them. This pencil brush is unbelievable in it's roughness. I would expect that this was some $5.00 drugstore brush.

My eyes are very sensitive and this just causes them irritation. With it being so stiff, it also is hard to pick up pigment. Not ever a recommendation for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by chupachups79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

-This brush shape is good for precise application. However it is too stiff and scratchy for the sensitive under eye area, so it only deserves 3 stars.
-Not worth the price tag.
-Definitely prefer #266 to this.

EDIT:
I'm editing my review to change the rating from 3 to 5. I think I probably didn't wash the brush properly after using it. I still use the same brush cleanser but I rinsed the bristles a little longer and it's no longer stiff and scratchy. In fact, I'm been using it to line my eyes everyday since!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have small eyes, so for me, this works beautifully as a crease/outer V brush. I have a MAC 217, but it's too big for the small crease of my eyes, so this brush works perfectly. I prefer to use the 213 to line my eyes, although this could work as an eyeliner brush as well.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Dlrainer

Great for smudging or adding color to your crease, or corner of your eyes

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2012 7:44:00 AM More reviews by woot12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My opinion is part of the minority, as I am probably the only person who doesn't like this brush. I bought this brush under the impression of all the hype from YouTube and other blogs alike. It took me a couple of uses to realise that this wasn't a good brush.

This brush, to this day, is one of the most expensive brushes I own, unfortunately the price doesn't justify the quality of the brush. The bristles are so scratchy, it has irritated my skin, making me resort to other methods, such as using my finger to smudge out liner. However, it is a sturdy brush, and it is dense, allowing for easy blending of colour.

Verdict however: Will not ever buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by jadorelechoc

This was the first MAC brush I got rid of. It was scratchy beyond belief and made my eyes watery whenever I attempted smudging my liner. It also did not do a great job at smudging, as it made any liner look patchy and left gaps in between. When I started learning a little bit more about brushes, I observed it closely and more than 2/3 of its hairs were second cut ones, hence the Scratchy Central situation.
I have replaced it with a NARS #15 brush that has a completely different shape (short, flat, oval cut and wide) but does the very same job and in an excellent way. Even if this smudger brush shape is not your cup of tea, there is beautiful pencil brushes out there to give your love to instead of this one. Don't waste your good money on something below average.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like all Mac brushes, this is well-made and wonderfully soft. The size/shape of it probably works great for lots of people, but I don't find myself using it very often. It seems to lay down too much color/too precise a stroke for my crease preference, and for some reason I always have fallout issues and uneven application when I use this. I actually use it more often for lining with shadow but it's a little too soft and full for that. I'll keep it because I haven't found anything I like better, but I definitely wouldn't call this one a have-to-have brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by solidcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This brush is a must if you are an eyeshadow kind of person. I use it almost daily to line my lower lashes, and it's great for packing colour into the crease. It's also good for smudging out your eyeliner. I love it.

Honestly, I didn't really use it at first, but now I can't go without it. Washes beautifully, too. Get it, it has so many great uses.