October 21, 2014 | 1005 users online

Polishes - OPI - Malaga Wine

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by royas784

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Malaga Wine is a versatile, fairly unique shade of red. It's a neutral toned red, so it's not orange-y or too purplish. Depending on the light, it's a cherry red (in sunlight) or a crimson/wine shade (indoors/dim light)- it falls somewhere in between under indoor light. This quality alone makes this one of my favorite shades of red, since it's flattering for all seasons. I also love that it's a cream, easy to apply color that doesn't streak; I apply two coats over a base coat and finish with a top coat. I tend to mostly wear it fall/winter, and usually opt for brighter colors in the summer. I have NC 35 skin tone, and Malaga Wine looks great on me. Since it doesn't lean on one end or the other on the red color-spectrum, it's a happy medium that I think would flatter all but the darker skin tones (which would probably look better with lighter and brighter polishes). I'd say if you have fair to medium/tan skin, you'll probably like Malaga Wine. It's a beautiful, classy OPI red.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I keep seeing this described as red, and it is, more or less, but it's red in the way that wine is red, that is, it's richly medium-dark, plummy, and leans purple. This is especially visible on the first coat, which is typically streaky and thin (the plummy-purpley edge is very apparent, though). By the second coat, I have acceptable opacity, and a deeper, more red-wine colour.

This has a lovely, smooth formula, good application, and, of course, the nice, wide, OPI Pro-Wide brush. I don't know if I'd call this a jelly, but it's certainly jelly-like. Maybe calling it a jelly-creme would be approriate, because it really does seem to be somewhere in between. It's got depth of colour like a jelly, but also characteristics of a creme.

I have to admit, I have a long love affair with plummy, wine red nail polishes. This one is one of the best I've worn, and I'd certainly buy it again. Yum. :)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 2:25:00 AM More reviews by Pay17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Luv this color. I mean there's nothing much to say about it but I like it and it last a long time. It's a nice red color

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I was obsessed with finding the best red nail polish out there and I can honestly say that I think this is it. After trying loads of different brands, shades, finishes, etc., I found that OPI Malaga Wine is red perfection. Looks amazing on my nails, I can't stop staring at it whenever I wear it. This is a darker red but it doesn't quite cross over into vampy territory. Dries to a creamy, shiny finish and as always with OPI no problems with application or wear. It's sexy and classic and hands-down my favorite red polish of all time. LOVE!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by caseyleighokay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm on probably my fourth bottle of this stuff. Favorite nail polish of all time. Dark vampy red that goes on opaque in two coats. Perfect dark red nail polish.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by elixmia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just tried this product and I love it! I have a hard time buying red nail polishes, because they usually look too pink for my taste, so it was nice to find a red that was actually red! It's not too dark or too light, it's a nice cherry-color red. The bottle was a good price and works well so I plan on rebuying it whenever it is that I need it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Tearbag1969

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Beautiful color. Chips fairly easily, but all polishes do. Will buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by violetriot

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am obsessed with this color. I have such a hard time finding a red that is flattering on my skin tone. I'm around NW20, probably a little paler this time of year. One thing I find that can be really frustrating with reds is how different they can look depending on the light. Malaga Wine is so gorgeous in any light! It's not too blue but it's not a screaming bright red either. Depending on the light it can have more of a cherry red appearance, or a vampy crimson tint. The only thing with OPI polishes is that the brushes can make for a slightly messy application, I feel like the brush is a bit clumsy. The consistency of this polish was perfect- not too thin or goopy thick and I only needed two coats for the color to look even. I did add a third coat though for a deeper red hue. This is such a classic elegant red. highly recommended!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2013 7:57:00 AM More reviews by ellfabric

I was looking for a replacement for my all-time favourite blood-red polish, OPI's St Petersburgundy (which is discontinued, according to the SA) and the SA introduced this. However, when I got home, I realised it's waay too dark for my liking.

It is quite a vampy colour, almost blood-like in natural sunlight. However, it does come off a little plummy in some lights.

If you're those who like a very dark goth-like red, you'd like this. However, it's not for me; haven't even used it twice.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by jadeymac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There is a reason that this polish is so popular and one of opis longest selling polishes, I believe it was from the original opi nail laquer launch of 1989! Anyway! It is an absolutely gorgeous colour! One of my all time favourites and at a tie with big apple red for my favourite red of all time! (I just can't choose between the 2 :p) this is a blood red cream that is dark, but nowhere near dark enough that it could be mistaken for black. It is the perfect dark red, particularly for fall and winter although I wear it all year round :) I wore it last Halloween and received many compliments :) application is amazingly smooth and consistent.. It wears very well (about a week with top and base coat) and it doesn't stain your nails! A perfect blood red creme! It is so super glossy and classy! Would highly recommend that everyone give it a try as I think this would suit most skin tones :)