MAC Pigment in Old Gold

4.2

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Ok. I gave the packaging a 5 but I am NOT too pleased about the decrease in size without a decrease in PRICE. 3 whole grams less WTF??? Moving on... The color is fantastic BUT a great DUPE is Jesse's Girl Sunlit Cactus ($3.99 vs $19.50) Wish I would have realized that before. Color is great, quality is there, and is quite versatile but is NOT one of a kind. I will always have a version of this color in my collection but I do not think it will always be a repeat purchase of Old Gold. Save your money ladies... Try the Jesse's Girl eye dust.

on 7/24/2010 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This was the first MAC pigment I tried, and I am so excited by it. Iíll preface by saying MAC has been hit-or-miss for me, with a focus on the miss. I think the eyeliners are a bit blah, the eye shadows irritate my lids something chronic, the lipsticks are fantastic colours but so dryingÖ Generally, I buy MAC with caution, meaning Iíve only tentatively explored the range, slowly, over years. I got some pigment samples in a swap, and though I donít adore them all, this one has wowed me. Itís duo-chrome, and to me, shimmers between light gold, green-gold and peachy tan. Iíve used it wet as a main colour on the lid and itís fantastic like that Ė great for my navy eyes. However, last night I wore it as a medium-thick line, over and under the eyes, with a light pink shadow on the main part of the lid, and it looked so pretty.

on 6/22/2010 1:43:00 AM

Wow, ppl really hate this color!
I tried it on it's own and I can see what they mean its not that flattering! However, I just tried packing MAC e/s in Club on my entire lid with a matte soft brown in the crease and lightly layered old gold pigment on my lid over the Club e/s and I must say it looks amazing. Really brings out the green in my eyes. Layering the two colors makes the overall look both brown and green on the lid. (Duo chrome). I like it! A night-time-only smokey look.

on 5/6/2010 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was the first MAC product I ever bought. I have had about 5 years. I have worn it out about 5 times. It is so fugly!! I read someone say it looks like barf with glitter and thought OMG yes! I have tried it with many different shadows but it just doesn't look right. Maybe it's my coloring but I absolutely hate this pigment.

on 3/10/2010 6:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Although I would buy this again, I can't say I am super, mega impressed with this shade. I agree, it is very unique and enhaces your natural color pretty well...but...it's not like the Blue Brown pigment, which I say it is the best of the best.

on 2/15/2010 5:17:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

I love this pigment because it can look very different with other eyeshadow colors. Every time I wear this color, people always compliment my eyes! I also noticed when I wear this color up to my crease, it looks like I used a separate eyeshadow in my crease. It is a very cool pigment!

on 1/15/2010 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is a unique pigment and I don't think I have ever seen any color like it elsewhere and that it would be very difficult to duplicate.

Have you ever seen the slightly greenish cast of old bronze objects. This pigment has a shiney metallic quality that looks like golden metal with a green cast. I don't own any old gold, but my guess is this pigment exactly replicates the color.

I can't really say what I would pair this with, as I rarely wear metallic colors, but this is worth having because it is so unique.

The pigment itself is really silky in texture and is easily foiled, which would be the best way I think to use it.

on 1/10/2010 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Old gold is a super unusual colour! It's one of MACs *very* duochromed colours, which manage to look totally different depending on the base (other colours that do this for me are the similar Blue Brown and Green Brown). If you apply this over a warm base, the dark gold will show through with only a subtle greenish sheen. If you use a dark base, the green pearl will become prominent and it essentially looks like a very unusual bright green. The base colour isn't quite gold, it's more of a tarnished, intense bronze. It's a beautiful colour which looks stunning and super pigmented on.

The texture gives very, very high colour payoff - it's smooth and pigmented. However the frost is more prominent than some of MAC's finer pigments, and it balls like crazy in the jar and can require a bit of blending once on to soften the colour at the edges, otherwise you can look like a disco ball. However the effort definitely pays off. This is definitely one of my favourites and I will repurchase.

on 1/5/2010 6:59:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is such an interesting color, very pretty. When I went to apply it, it showed up brown on my brush. but when I put it on my lid it turned gold, it was so much fun. I've never had so much fun applying pigments like this before. They color payoff was magnificent, so pigmented. and easy to blend with other color. This is a bit of an outrageous color for everyday. But for once and a while. It's a fun color, I paired it with Lucky Tom eyeshadow by MAC and Fine wink eyeshadow by Wet n Wild. and Naked pigment by MAC. and ended up with a soft everyday gold look. I only got a sample of it. but will definitely buy a jar of this when I run out of it.

on 12/2/2009 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Old Gold is really one of those unique shadows that is like nothing else out there. The duo-chrome in this metal color reflects green as well as yellow and can reflect even to a reddish gold, and the color you receive from this shadow is highly dependent on what base you use underneath. This type of shadow is so pigmented that it is fine just on its own.

I happen to be so pale that this shadow just brightens up my baby blues, but I think that this might make those with a yellow based skin tone look almost sickly, all because I tried to on a professional makeup job and it did not seem to work all that well.

Very smooth and buttery pigment that is extremely soft, and I have actually found that this pigment works the best being pressed. Although sometime it takes a little work since it is easiest using with a mixing medium like Fix + and it shines almost like it stays wet and gives an intense shine.

Really fun shadow that can be used as so many different colors, totally worth every penny.