Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil

4.3

2014 REFORMULATION: Cetearyl octanoate, Dextrin palmitate, PEG-10, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Rice Germ Oil, Squalane, Buxus Chinensis Oil, vitamin E, Ascorbyl Palmitate. OLD FORMULA: Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol Diisononanoate, Polyglyceryl-10 Diisostearate, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Polygltceryl-20 Octaisononanoate, Polyglyceryl-20 Hexacaprylate, Limnanthes Alba (meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Ascorbyl Dipalmitate, Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Tocopheryl, Stearoyl Inulin

on 5/19/2013 3:29:00 AM

I've used over 10 bottles of this cleansing and I must say I like it very much! This oil is light and it's also odourless. It doesn't clog my pores and my face feels really cleaned after using it. For heavier make-up, you'll need to pump 3 to 4 times. Especially for waterproof mascara that can be quite stubborn, a second round may be needed. Buying it from Japan is so much cheaper! Almost half price compared to SG.

on 3/17/2013 10:40:00 PM

My skin: oily, clog-prone, sensitive that tends to get dehydrated (not dry) easily. Several months ago, I patched tested this for 10 days with no problem. After using it on my entire face for three days, it caused tiny blister-like bumps all over my face and many clogged pores on my forehead and cheeks. Also, the skin on my face peeled like a snake. No amount of hydration seemed to help. It took my skin almost 2 months to recover.

on 2/19/2013 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love the fact this doesnt have mineral oil. It removes everything! It unclogs but of course it will not remove deeply stubborn clogged pores since this cleansing oil is super gentle on the skin, even on the eyes! Usually i double cleanse, after using this since this MCO is basically for removing make up. There are lazy days and i just wanna get in bed asap and i would skip facial cleanser, my skin still feels clean and fresh. This hasn't broke me out considering i am acne prone, and this is HG.

on 2/1/2013 9:13:00 PM

This is a great facial cleanser. I had oily skin as a teenager (lots of acne) and now in my 30s have dry sensitive skin (that is still very acne prone). This product does a fabulous job of balancing out my skin, removing all my makeup easily (which is saying alot because I use Estee Lauder Day Wear all day foundation). It is my HG cleanser. I have used it for about a year now, and still love it. I have tried many other cleansers (everything from cosmoceuticals like Murad and PTR) to drugstore (Cetaphil, Cerave) to cosmetic brands (Clinique, MAC, etc). I love it! It does not cause me to break out, removes my makeup easily and keeps my skin moisturized.

on 11/26/2012 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really won't go into much depth about this product.
I've been using oil cleansers for two years and i don't know if they are doing much for me, dry with blackheads and old scars, occasional stress related cysts. I used this many times before and my skin got worse. Today, taking off my bb cream/ powder, brows, and particularly sparkly eyeshadow under the eyes. It was a powdered eyeshadow. When I used this to take it off, there were sparkles everywhere still on my skin. A cyst developing on my forehead got red and angry. Tight, not different than a foaming cleanser feels like afterwards. Definitely not repurchasing.

Update! I shouldn't have been so harsh on this. I think my problem before was that these types of cleasners do not exfoliate at all, and leave your skin in a stripped but not necessarily "refeshed" or "squeaky clean" state. That being said, adding PTR's Unwrinkle Pads a few times a week, this gives me no problem.

on 11/22/2012 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I believe Fancl is a Japanese drugstore brand, and this cleanser is quite famous in the blogosphere. Here in the US, I happened to purchase it from an online site called Beauty Kat. This cleansing oil is very good at removing makeup.

This product is meant to be pumped into dry hands and then massaged over a dry face (I typically spend about 2 minutes massaging it over my face). Then you slowly add water onto the face to emulsify the oil and water, which turns the solution on your face a cloudy, milky color (I run my hands under running water, shake some access, then massage my hands around my face--I do this a few times). Then rinse.

If you're willing to spend an extra few minutes adding this into your routine for its effectiveness in removing makeup, I highly recommend it. Please note that once it is opened, you are supposed to use it all up within 3 months of purchasing (use it everyday)--I believe the solution is free of preservatives, etc.

on 11/5/2012 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Amazing product to remove makeup. Just one step to remove the makeup all over ur face.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is my HG oil cleanser, and has been for about 2 yrs! I have repurchased this many times, which in Australia isn't that easy, but in Melbourne there are a few places in Chinatown where you can get it for around $50 (I think). I tend to buy it when I'm in Asia because it is heaps cheaper there. Alternatively, try the Asian websites like adambeauty etc.
If you do visit Asia, bear in mind that this is not an oil cleanser you can stock up on - it has no preservatives, and so you will see on the packaging that it has a use by date. Once the product is open, you need to use it all within 12 months. I will say that a bottle will last around 6 months or so.
I use 2 pumps, and work this into a dry face with both hands. You do not need to repeat this process i.e. no need to cleanse twice. After working it in for a few minutes, you dampen your hands and then work it in again. The product will become milky and this is the oil being removed from your face and carrying with it all the crap!
Then you just rinse it all off and you don't have to follow with another cleanser unless you want to. You'll find your skin is very clean and soft! If I've been out and have a full face of makeup I'll generally follow with a foaming cleanser.
I've tried DHC (too thick, like olive oil) and Shu Uemura (pathetic cleansing ability). FANCL is by far superior but has not been mass marketed like the Shu. With Shu I found I had to repeat the process and it wasn't as thick, so it felt like I wasn't doing much. DHC on the other hand was too thick so I always followed up with a cleanser. That was annoying because not only did I feel like I was stripping my face, but what is the point when FANCL will do it in one?!
Anyway, I highly highly recommend this if you want to purchase an oil cleanser. I started searching for an oil cleanser after I started using Invisible Zinc (this won't budge with a cleanser alone). I was a little worried that it would break me out and couldn't grasp the concept of removing oil with oil? But this simply WORKS. Give it a shot!
I've given it a 4 for packaging because the pump is difficult to travel with. When you first use it, you have to remove the "stopper" so the pump will push down. I generally keep this, and then replace it when I travel so it won't pump in my bag accidentally. But still, a pump is much better than a screw top when you're dealing with oil!

More about me:
Asian normal skin - tending towards combination in summer
Was acne-prone for years
Foundation preference is to look as yellow as possible, absolutely nil pink, and quite tan
MAC NC-30, Shiseido O60
Sunscreen everyday - alternating between Sofina and Invisible Zinc

on 8/20/2012 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I was using this cleansing oil for about 2 months several years ago. It was not bad actually. It removed all my make up quite nicely. But you need to massage it with the oil first, then apply a little bit of water on your face and massage again before you wash this off completely. However, ever since I learned that people with oily skin should not use cleansing oil as it will causes more clogged pores, I immediately switched to bioderma. Since I am still having clogged pores, this cleansing oil shouldn't be the cause of my skin problem. I would say this is a relatively good cleansing oil but products like pond's cleansing oil has the same effect but the latter is so much cheaper.

on 7/18/2012 11:33:00 PM

I got this oil cleanser because of the good reviews on MUA. However, as soon as I started using it, I started getting milia or small acne bumps (not quite sure) around my eyes. I do not normally have any abnormal skin rashes around my eye so I immediately stopped using it. I also do not have sensitive skin. After I stopped using it, the bumps went away.
At the time, I was trying quite a few products so I decided to give fancl oil another chance. Again, the bumps appeared. I only used it for 5 days total so it was a total waste of money for me.
It did take off makeup well, if I remember correctly. Just a warning to future consumers about my skin reaction.
I have found the shiseido oil cleanser to be pretty good.