March 2, 2015 | 1994 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by jdilan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh my! I bought a travel size bottle of this as a spur of the moment while in line at Ulta and I'm glad that I did. At first, I realized I spent a little too much during my shopping trip and was planning on returning it, but never got around to it. I'm glad I didn't because I tried this today and my hair is sooo soft! its never this soft! I think I'll be continuing buying this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 12:53:00 PM More reviews by Retromom104

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really love this deep conditioner. I have shoulder length fine yet wavy/curly hair. I am a daily washer and use this deep treatment once a week. I first tried this when I got it as a Point Perk from Ulta. Otherwise, I might never had picked it up. The full size tube cost around $29 so I will try to pick this up when Ulta has a 20% coupon, etc.

One thing I don't like is that it's very easy to confuse this with the other regular conditioners in the K-Pak line. This one smells like bananas so I just give it a whiff to confirm I have the right one.

My hair feels well conditioned and silky but not weighed down with this. I get lots of shine and even extra curl if I let it air dry (if blowing out, I tend to go straight). These come in smaller travel/trial sizes too so you might want to give it a try sometime and see if it's as good for you as it is for me.

**UPDATE - Still love this but just found there is a Sally's GVP version of this for a fraction of the cost.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2013 6:30:00 AM More reviews by coylilfox

This stuff saved my hair from having to be chopped off when it got so frizzy that I couldn't keep it all untangled for even a few minutes. My hair stylist recommended it to me. I mix it in with K-Pak moisture conditioner 2x/week, and the protein turned my hair into shiny healthy strong hair. After a 2 - 3 days of not washing my hair though, it seems to "wear off," so it really helps if you want to keep your long hair, but the real solution is to chop off those few inches. This stuff helps wonders in the meantime though. It's expensive, but I keep buying it because it works so well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2013 9:48:00 AM More reviews by Spooki404

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the small bottle, which is not a pump but a squeeze tube with a flip cap. While opening the cap the first time it broke off completely so the packaging only gets 3 stars. I expected something less chinsy from a product in this price range.

It is very easy to use. If you can use conditioner you can use this product... put it on, wait, rinse (then condition like crazy since protein treatments are very drying).

It makes my hair feel so much better. Smooth, shiny, stronger. My hair is extremely fine textured and prone to protein loss and breakage. This product makes it feel more normal. The only downside is my hair is very weighed down and lifeless looking, I come to expect this with my hair type though. All protein treatments and deep moisturizers leave me with heavy hair. This weighed down look does wear off after a few days.

K-pak is not as drying as some other protein treatments I have used. Some other brands have too much protein for my hair type which left me dry and brittle. I always turn back to K-pak so I don't know why I keep trying other products!

The smell is very strong and fruity, like banana. If you don't think you can tolerate the smell for 5 minutes straight don't use K-pak. Scent-senstive people should probably avoid it. I don't think they make a fragrance free version unfortunately.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by MSaintH

I first used Joico K-Pak reconstructor in 2000, and 13 years later it is still one of my favorite products. It's one of those tried and true products that is a necessity in my shower.

This is not a conditioner and should not be used as one. It is a reconstructor, and should be used once every 1-2 weeks depending on necessity, and you should still condition your hair after rinsing out the constructor. I love to use it especially after dying my hair. It immediately changes my hair's texture, softness and look, and all for the better.

I also should say that Joico has an entire "K-Pak" line of shampoo, conditioner, etc., and I only use the Reconstructor. The k-pak conditioner is much cheaper, but it is nowhere near the same product. Don't be fooled! Buy the RECONSTRUCTOR if nothing else.

When used right after dying my hair, I keep it on as long as possible.. Typically 20-30 minutes, but when used on a weekly basis I find that 5-10 minutes is sufficient.

Love. Love. Love this stuff. I recommend it to anyone who says their hair is damaged and needs some help.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by helensung

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

The effect is quite short. My hair gets softer for 1-2 days after I use the re constructor but after 3 days, the treatment doesn't stay and make any difference. I'd rather spend money on drugstore brands like VO5 if it's not on sale.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2013 8:37:00 PM More reviews by nualab67

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Simply not as good as the two holy-grails of deep reconstructive treatments.

They are:
1) Aphogee two step protein treatment. Cheap, odd, long winded to use, but absolutely professional quality results
2)Nexxus Emergencee - expensive, quick, liquid silk (literally) in a bottle.

Joico K-pak is cheap and easy to use. But it contains a significantly lower amount of protein than either of the two above - and so is simply not as effective.

I was torn between giving it 3 stars and 4. Ideally it earns 3 1/2,. It does a modest job on modestly damaged hair. For seriously damaged hair then find either the time or the money for the other two I recommend.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this, due to the great reviews, but it disappointed me. I've been slowly transitioning from black back to blonde, keeping my hair bobbed short so that the ends are always being trimmed off, but I obviously still have some damage. I just finished the bottle, and I have to say, I feel like it did nothing. Never once did I use it and feel as though the condition of my hair was improved at all. I'm not protein sensitive. In fact, I've used other protein treatments with much much better results. IMHO, Dumb Blonde and the Nexxus protein treatment work much better. Now I know!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Back when I started dying (and over-dying) my hair, my sister recommended I try this after one too many box jobs that left my hair really parched and breaking off. I LOVE the smell of it, which is like a pina colada, as well as the texture which is thick, creamy and kind of oat-y (if that makes any sense). I would soak my hair with this stuff, throw a shower cap over it and let it sit for half an hour before rinsing and it really did improve my hair's condition. Although there is nothing you can do about split ends, it did improve the softness, shine and overall strength of my hair. It's pricey, so I would only use it in a dire hair situation, but it can help!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2013 5:21:00 AM More reviews by JohnnyMakeup

The only way I found it was working with me, was to leave it in for at least an hour instead of the said 3-5 or 15min. I loved how smooth and silky it made my hair feel. But I didn't notice any 'improvement' in the condition, since as I stopped using it - my hair went in the exact same condition. I think the silkiness and smoothness was also due to heavy dosage of dimethicones in there. I'd buy it again once it goes on sale.
I am now using a Lanza keratin leave in conditioner as 1-a-week treatment, which has got far more keratin protein in, as well as vitamin B and other oils, and I find it really does recover my hair A LOT after all the bleaching. Plus it's cheaper, too. I'd say shop around and look at ingredients lists when looking for protein masks.