Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor

4.2

Aqua, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Paraffinum Liquidum, Glycol Stearate, PEG-8 Distearate, Ceteth-2, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, Myristyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Parfum, Sorbic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin, Limonene.

on 8/1/2014 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is an excellent deep conditioner for damaged or dry hair. However, I have found it can really reak havok on your locks if over-used. Although I don't have the ingredients list, its either full of protein(s) or contains ingredients which mimick protein - so if you are of the hairtype that doesn't do well with these, this can be problematic. I have thick/culry/coarse hair and if I over use this stuff my hair lays flatter, looks dull (I loose shine), and I feel like I need a clarifying shampoo to get rid of buildup. If you use this once a week though, the benefits are great.

I have a lot of bleach damage in my hair. When I bought this my hair was feeling gummy when wet, but after using it once all the gummy is gone and my hair feels normal when wet again. My hair also dried much quicker than it usually does, which is another sign that some damage was repaired. I really love this product, it actually works.

I think it's a little expensive, but the price is worth it. If your hair is very damaged and is prone to breakage when wet, this will actually help you. You shouldn't use it too often, so one bottle will last you a while.

It smells good (kind of like banana?) and the package is pretty standard. A protein treatment can leave your hair feeling a little dry (this is normal) so use a good conditioner afterwards.

on 5/2/2014 9:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a really good protein treatment. It definitely does its job. However after using it so many times it really hasn't done much for me. The first few times were the only times this took full effect. But to me it's still a must have for when I go through a chemical process just to breathe some life back into my hair :) I recommend for sureee, just so not leave on longer than 10 minutes or so cause its pretty powerful and too much protein can cause the hair to snap.

on 3/1/2014 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I recently bleached my dark brown hair to light blonde and it's quite dry and damaged.
Using Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor was a life saver bringing back my fried hair to life. I saw other website people kept on mentioning to use another moisture treatment after this mask. I know this is a protein mask and usually protein mask are quite drying to the hair but with Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor it seems unnecessary(it's 2-1 protein and moisture mask). Honestly using another mask after like Joico hydrator would be over kill and be like tipping money down the drain.

on 2/14/2014 12:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Oh my! I bought a travel size bottle of this as a spur of the moment while in line at Ulta and I'm glad that I did. At first, I realized I spent a little too much during my shopping trip and was planning on returning it, but never got around to it. I'm glad I didn't because I tried this today and my hair is sooo soft! its never this soft! I think I'll be continuing buying this!

on 2/8/2014 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I really love this deep conditioner. I have shoulder length fine yet wavy/curly hair. I am a daily washer and use this deep treatment once a week. I first tried this when I got it as a Point Perk from Ulta. Otherwise, I might never had picked it up. The full size tube cost around $29 so I will try to pick this up when Ulta has a 20% coupon, etc.

One thing I don't like is that it's very easy to confuse this with the other regular conditioners in the K-Pak line. This one smells like bananas so I just give it a whiff to confirm I have the right one.

My hair feels well conditioned and silky but not weighed down with this. I get lots of shine and even extra curl if I let it air dry (if blowing out, I tend to go straight). These come in smaller travel/trial sizes too so you might want to give it a try sometime and see if it's as good for you as it is for me.

**UPDATE - Still love this but just found there is a Sally's GVP version of this for a fraction of the cost.

on 12/25/2013 6:30:00 AM

This stuff saved my hair from having to be chopped off when it got so frizzy that I couldn't keep it all untangled for even a few minutes. My hair stylist recommended it to me. I mix it in with K-Pak moisture conditioner 2x/week, and the protein turned my hair into shiny healthy strong hair. After a 2 - 3 days of not washing my hair though, it seems to "wear off," so it really helps if you want to keep your long hair, but the real solution is to chop off those few inches. This stuff helps wonders in the meantime though. It's expensive, but I keep buying it because it works so well.

on 11/14/2013 9:48:00 AM

I bought the small bottle, which is not a pump but a squeeze tube with a flip cap. While opening the cap the first time it broke off completely so the packaging only gets 3 stars. I expected something less chinsy from a product in this price range.

It is very easy to use. If you can use conditioner you can use this product... put it on, wait, rinse (then condition like crazy since protein treatments are very drying).

It makes my hair feel so much better. Smooth, shiny, stronger. My hair is extremely fine textured and prone to protein loss and breakage. This product makes it feel more normal. The only downside is my hair is very weighed down and lifeless looking, I come to expect this with my hair type though. All protein treatments and deep moisturizers leave me with heavy hair. This weighed down look does wear off after a few days.

K-pak is not as drying as some other protein treatments I have used. Some other brands have too much protein for my hair type which left me dry and brittle. I always turn back to K-pak so I don't know why I keep trying other products!

The smell is very strong and fruity, like banana. If you don't think you can tolerate the smell for 5 minutes straight don't use K-pak. Scent-senstive people should probably avoid it. I don't think they make a fragrance free version unfortunately.

on 10/28/2013 11:23:00 PM

I first used Joico K-Pak reconstructor in 2000, and 13 years later it is still one of my favorite products. It's one of those tried and true products that is a necessity in my shower.

This is not a conditioner and should not be used as one. It is a reconstructor, and should be used once every 1-2 weeks depending on necessity, and you should still condition your hair after rinsing out the constructor. I love to use it especially after dying my hair. It immediately changes my hair's texture, softness and look, and all for the better.

I also should say that Joico has an entire "K-Pak" line of shampoo, conditioner, etc., and I only use the Reconstructor. The k-pak conditioner is much cheaper, but it is nowhere near the same product. Don't be fooled! Buy the RECONSTRUCTOR if nothing else.

When used right after dying my hair, I keep it on as long as possible.. Typically 20-30 minutes, but when used on a weekly basis I find that 5-10 minutes is sufficient.

Love. Love. Love this stuff. I recommend it to anyone who says their hair is damaged and needs some help.

on 10/14/2013 4:25:00 PM

The effect is quite short. My hair gets softer for 1-2 days after I use the re constructor but after 3 days, the treatment doesn't stay and make any difference. I'd rather spend money on drugstore brands like VO5 if it's not on sale.