October 25, 2014 | 1241 users online

Hair - Almond Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I just recenly posted my review for Sweet Almond Oil under a more general listing, not one specifically for hair. I have drier hair than is imaginable because I have a medical condition that kills off all my moisture glands. No product, man made nor natural, can replicate the oils/moisture, the body normall produces when working properly. I had oily hair when younger but now its bone dry. I experience a ton of breakage, hair fall out, my once thick lustrous hair is, without a lot of intervention, akin to a tumbleweed only less attractive. I love castor oil as it adds strength to my hair and used pre wash, I lose so much less hair its astounding! However while I like the shine it imparts, the viscosity is rather like molasses. Its too heavy to even attempt to use it post conditioning when I still need the benefit of an oil even if using other styling products/leave ins.

Almond oil is an oil too but nowhere near as oily as say olive oil, nor as thick. Its light years away in viscosity from castor oil. Its fluid yet not greasy. Its not a dry oil per se, but drier than most so it can be used to add a bit of sheen and life to drier hair while not leaving it greasy. Of course the amt must still be scant, with oils you can always add more but once you have made your head look like the bottom of a roast pan, not so easy to fix that so fast.

A little AO can be added to conditioners to amp the moisture and hair won't be greasy if again, you add say a capful or two at most, to a full bottle. After washing I can apply a little of this to wet hair almost like a serum, to cut down on frizz and fly aways when air drying. It also works really well, a little between your palms, then smoothed on to make a bun loon smoother, a pony tail look less ratty if like me your dry hair is such you stay away from hungry horses, this light oil may fill a niche for you. It has so many skin/ hair uses and a little goes a long way. I can and do use shine sprays but many only offer superficial benefits. Some also look insanely greasy as well. With an oil the moisturization is there along with a bit of gleam and I'm all about the health of my hair. I've only been using this for a few weeks and will update if my thoughts on this change. But if you are lloking for a light, odorless, oil that has various beauty uses, this may be worth trying for you. For the record, I love coconut oil on my body, to help remove self tanner, in cooking etc, but its too emoilient for my hair. My hair is very pourous and absors that and evoo too, like mad, and absorbs way too much. Even using scant amounts I have to wash repeatedly, negating the benefits of the oil for me. AO also helps make the castor oil more easy to spread and distribute through hair and as a pre wash simply does just that but hair rinses clean. I have the NOW brand and have not tried any other.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using almond oil for over a month and I will always keep some on hand! It's even better than coconut oil for me. Almond oil isn't as greasy and I can use it on my face.
Here's how I use it:
Face - I use it mixed 1:1 with sunflower oil for the OCM. Amazing. I also put it on as a moisturizer. Makes my skin glowy and smooth. Heals my lips too. Has removed my black circles almost completely. My eyelashes are stronger and maybe a tad longer.
Body - I mix with jojoba and sunflower oil and jasmine essential oil in a spray bottle and use as an overall body moisturizer. Soaks in within 2-3 minutes. Tops. I even put this stuff on my feet after scrubbing with a metal grater thing in the shower and follow up with a heavy Shea lotion and socks. I mix this in with my homemade shaving cream and it's perfect.
Hair - I have to be very careful but I put about a drop in my hands and smooth over my ends and flyaways after straightening. It makes my hair feel like silk.
I really can't think of any negatives for AO except the containers. I bought a simple decanter off amazon and put my mix for skin in it. Looks pretty on my counter. The original push top plastic is messy and wasteful.
It did take about 2 weeks for my skin to adjust but I'm never going without this oil again. I can kind of smell it a little but it does go away. It's like a nutty smell. It doesn't bother me though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 9:04:00 AM More reviews by Vickybliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My go-to oil for multi-purpose beautifying. I use it to condition my hair before shampooing, as a moisturizer for my legs after shaving, and as an eye makeup remover. No scent for me, I use the NOW brand. Fairly cheap and economical. Love using one ingredient products for a simplified beauty routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by geraldin13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i just love this its feel so soft. i apply this on everything my face my body, when my hair its too dry i apply 3 drops and thats it. i would recommend this to everyone

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2012 6:10:00 AM More reviews by fazli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great for dandruff and a nice moisturizer.

I have used it for my and my boyfriend's hair. He had quite of dandruff and oily hair. After a massage into hair scalp and overnight stay it was free of dandruff, non-oily and soft.

Gave nice appearance to my hair as well, though I usually do not have problems with it.

I heard it is great for hair-loss but can't say anything for that. That's supposed to be its main purpose though...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 6:40:00 PM More reviews by yfashion

Almond oil is amazing. It has cleared up my skin incredibly. It leaves my face smooth, glowing, and clear. I adore it. I use it every morning--just a few drops. Love. Love. Love. The perfect moisturizer.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by LookingGood85

I bought a 100ml bottle of sweet almond oil with added vitamin e today, from Holland and Barrett for 3.85. I wanted it to condition my lashes, brows and to also moisturise my under eye area as Ive heard its amazing for dark circles, and with two kids under 4, i have got them to boot! Anyhow, Ive only used this once, tonight, and already I love it! I normally hate oils, but this feels softer somehow and not as greasy as some oils, if thats even possible!! ive used it on my brows, dabbed some on my lashes (although not to the base as Im currently using RapidLash serum!) and all under my eye area. You dont even need a drop, a touch of oil on your finger tip, warmed against another fingertip, then use the oil on both tips on the area around both eyes and the brows and even the lashes. It spreads like a dream, doesnt feel like a greasy, drippy oil, it just sinks into the skin. Any leftover oil just dab off with a tissue - it means you used more than you needed :)

ill update this once I have used it some more :)

Oh, the only thing i dont like is the top of it, i would prefer a dropper type thing, but cest la vie :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2011 11:26:00 PM More reviews by eoconnor9484

I love almond oil! I only discovered it this past year because it was in some homemade mask recipe. I had so much that I started using it to remove makeup and on my wrinkles. At first I was scared to put oil on my skin at night, but almond oil is so gentle and cheap, and it does a great job providing a lot of moisture naturally, without clogging pores. What is the point in using some moisturizer that is $100, has ten million chemicals, and is tested on animals, when you can use almond oil, which does the same things without all of the bad stuff...

The only downside is that I took it on a trip recently and it spilled all over my stuff. Try getting oil out of your clothes :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Asia34

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used almond oil for years as a skin moisturizer. I add some things to it---rose mosqueta essential oil, Vitamin E, and coconut oil. Just a teaspoon moisturizes my whole body. The oil is a little too much for my hair.

I live in a very dry place. Here, skin takes a beating from wind, sun and high altitude.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Mitzy77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pure Almond Oil is one of my top beauty products, it has a multitude of uses, it is very cheap and absorbs fantastically into the skin - although it should be used sparingly as less is definitely more in this case!

I don't buy a specific brand but I normally purchase through my Chemist, making sure that what I buy is 100% natural Sweet Almond Oil.

My love of Almond oil started a couple of years ago when a friend of mine suggested using it on my scalp to ease my eczema. I used it for several months mixed with shampoo (half and half). Although it didn't cure my eczema on my scalp, it did relieve it slightly and it gave my hair an excellent shine. At that time my hair was very dry and damaged with highlighting so I was very impressed with my new sheen.

Since then I have discovered it makes an excellent eye make up remover. Massaged into the skin around my eyes and then wiped off with cotton wool or rinsed with water. A word of warning with this though, I once put too much on my eyelids and under my eyes before I went to bed. When I awoke in the morning, the skin under my eyes and my eyelids had puffed up so much that I looked like I had been crying all night. Therefore I suggest using a minimal amount around the delicate eye area.

Lately I have started using the oil all over my face as a make up remover. I rub a small amount into my skin and then wash it off with water. Used with water the oil does not leave an oily residue like I would have expected! I do this on an evening every other day. Even washed off with water, it moisturises so well that I do not need to use a moisturiser afterwards.

I also use Almond oil as a body moisturiser after bathing and as a hand moisturiser (again used sparingly).

I will definitely be repurchasing!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No