April 20, 2014 | 1497 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Ultra Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 9/10/2012 8:04:00 AM More reviews by SaylahVie

This powder looked very nice when first applied on my face. However, when I stepped outside on a very hot and humid day it looked terrible. The foundation didn't allow for my skin to breathe so a film of sweat accumulated on my face. When I got back into the house and looked in the mirror my makeup looked dreadful! I immediately had to wipe it all off it looked so bad. I really like makeup I can wear no matter what I am doing and this did not live up to my expectations.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:59:00 AM More reviews by dalala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my hg powder foundation! Been using it for a year...Really gives great coverage (on it's own wet, and dry application patting on red spots). Color match is right on. The ingredients are simple and did not ever irritate/break my skin out. Although the packaging is ugly and bulky, I love how the sponge is separated from the powder. The powder itself is not chalky and does not crumble easily. It is creamy and looks great on top of my liquid foundation. I use both the sponge it comes with and a powder brush. I hate going in to this store, so I phone in my order at Merle Norman and they deliver it to my house for free! Give it a try!! :))) For shade reference I'm an NC25 and use this in ultra neutral

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Sisterhazel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily skin with large pores, redness, and old acne scars (some discolorations, some pock marks). This is my favorite powder foundation for my skin type. It controls oil, covers my red, does not oxidize, and does not accentuate my pores or scars. The color selection is good, lots of cool and warm options. With primer, this will stay on for 7-8 hours. After that, it is easy to touch up and reapply to areas that need it. I never have a problem with it looking cakey or clogging my pores. I have seen reviews that say Maybelline Purestay powder fdn is a dupe for this, but I disagree. The Maybelline did not have the oil control, staying power or natural-looking finish of the Merle Norman, and for that I am willing to pay the higher price.

I wouldn't use this as a setting powder over a heavy foundation, because it would be too cakey looking. I think this looks best sponged-on over primer or a tinted moisturizer or concealer. If you use a fluffy powder brush, that will be a very light application (too light for me). I also have success with a tight bristled brush, loading the brush and pressing the powder onto my skin - not rubbing or brushing.

This is a wonderful product!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by annievell

WOW I can't believe I've never written a review for this powder from Heaven.
Like most of you, I've tried a hundred different powders...this is in a league of it's own. I usually use this as a finishing touch over my dinair foundation, it has a beautiful finish, doesn't get oily, doesn't oxidize, DOESN'T CAUSE BREAKOUTS, and can also be used alone for a gorgeous and more natural coverage. this is my HG powder forever.

12/14/12 **UPDATE***
Still in love- still the best foundation ever.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by bblissd

i ADORE this powder foundation! i've been using it for 13 yrs (started when i was 19) and STILL love it! i'm a self-proclaimed beauty junkie and still venture out & try new powder and foundations but i keep coming back to this one!
it goes on so smooothly and i really like how i can build the coverage- from sheer to full on (although it can look a bit cakey if applied in that strength). personally, i like a bit more than sheer so my skin looks flawless.
some ppl do & some ppl don't like the smell- but i LOVE the smell. can't quite describe it but it smells kinda yummy to me! lol
i have dry skin in the winter and this is great over moisturizer. i have slightly oily t-zone in the summer and this is awesome over my spf lotion. seriously- can't go wrong. i think i'd die a little death if MN stopped making this as it's the ONLY product i've continued to buy since my teen yrs!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very dry skin and Im always looking for powders that don't make my t zone flakey looking but yet still set my foundation and in always come back to this one!!! You can wear it alone say You dont feel like putting on a lot of makeup you could apply this and get some coverage or apply after foundation and it makes you look flawless! It's amazing I think it's one of those products that are great for all skin types!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 11:29:00 PM More reviews by livieTree

Shade reference: NC15 mac
My shade in this product: ultra cameo

This is my go-to foundation for all seasons. Even in the summer. Its light, gives coverage to where I need it and never gives me any problems. I think i might also be a bit bias to this foundation mainly because it was one of the firsts foundations I used when I first started with makeup. However that might actually prove how good it is. I started with makeup at 14-15 I'm now 20 and I still always keep a backup of this in my stash. I like to try different powders and different products but this will always be a staple.

Besides foundation I also like to use this to tone down blush when I get a bit too heavy handed. It never looks cakey or over done. It is matte, and light wearing. If you are wearing this in the summer you will need touch ups, but since I'm always home by mid day I just remove it and reapply before I go out.

Again excellent foundation.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 5:13:00 PM More reviews by betel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is AWESOME! It controls oil like nothing I have ever seen. I usually used the Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust but I was shiny by 11:00 AM so I had to reapply but no so with this powder and I am oily! I dont know why but I LOVE the smell too even though it fades soon after you apply. I put a little on with a blush brush after I moisturize with Lucy Minerals Ambrosia, then I apply my Lucy Minerals(excellent coverage like none other)then I finish with this and it perfection all day long and I mean all day! I have found my HG Finishing powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by laureliscool

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for 2 years and seen it through 3 different packaging changes, all better than the ones before it (the design picture above was incredibly clunky and hard to use, now it is a small black compact that is easy to transport.) I bought it after I found a small compact of it in my grandmother's makeup. Clearly, this product has been around for quite a long time and is trusted to do the job. I am yet to find any foundation, let alone powder, that beats this. It can be applied for minimal or maximum coverage depending on the time of year and dryness/oilyness of my skin. It doesn't cause any breakouts (I've slept with it on one time and it did not cause any type of breakout then either). My only complaint is it can be a bit cakey looking if you haphazardly brush it on. It takes some time for me to make sure I don't get little flakes or dry patches because of it. It sets in about 10 minutes. Moisturizer goes on over it surprisingly well. It does wear off my skin, but I have bad combination skin so this is as good as it gets unless I use a primer. The price is a bit steep, but overall it's completely worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by scarmica

I became a Merle Girl after trying this foundation, due to the great reviews it got on MUA; especially its oil control ability. I am oily and because I am oily I am acne prone. I'm always on the hunt to control the slick. I have even tried the milk of magnesia method (broke out) and a fantastic oil control sunscreen from Kao Biore (UV Perfect) which also broke me out. Seems anything that's labeled as "mattifying" breaks me out (why oh why...isn't that the opposite of what it's supposed to do)? Anyway - I bought this foundation in Ultra Golden in the summer and was super-impressed from the first time I used it. Very natural, buildable coverage (I would say up to medium) - it does not look chalky like most powder foundations I've tried - even if I get it on my eyebrows, they don't get that dust-coated look. It covers imperfections pretty well, although I'd be hard pressed not to use concealer (I do *not* have a peaches & cream complexion) but concealer goes on well over this foundation. And for those of us over 40 - I should stress that while it doesn't settle into lines (I don't put it under my eyes), it doesn't really disguise them either. Just makes my face even and helps control that oil. I still have to blot a few times over the course of the day but this foundation lasts and lasts through those blots and still looks great at 5 o'clock (not just-put-on, but not streaky, cakey or patchy either). I just bought another in Ultra Buff to match my winter skin. This is definitely my HG foundation - recently tried to switch away to save $$, and tried several liquid foundations - all of them broke me out (thank heavens for return policies). I have to stick with powder foundations and this is absolutely the best one out there that I've tried. Don't hesitate!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No