Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation

4.4

Mica, Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Methicone, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Proplyparaben, Fragrance (Parfum) 101905.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is the best powder in the world. My color is Ultra Golden. I've used this since high school. You can use it as a stand-alone foundation if you wish. I have done that on days that I just want a light, sheer coverage. Typically I wear it over MN Lasting Foundation in Soft Bisque. This powder is the key to getting an air brushed look.
My one complaint is in the packaging. MN forever and always had the long white pearlesque compact. It was classy, elegant, a stand-apart look. Recently they switched to a plain black small compact. It was awful. It broke and just didn't have that same suave look. MN recently and "temporarily" so I'm told went back to the classic white compact. I walked into a store one day and bought the last 3 they had in Ultra Golden. MN please keep the white compact and don't change again. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I was scheduled to have knee replacement surgery in December and I didn't want any foundation that would be liquid or creamy. I felt a powder would be easiest to apply while laying in bed. I had tried numerous foundations-I must have spent a mint on both high end and drug store products and nothing seemed to work. My complexion is about an NC25, but notoriously hard to match for some reason. The neck area has like a red rash from sun damage and while I don't need heavy coverage, I am developing some dark spots with my advancing age (58). I was tired, knees hurting, and I saw a Merle Norman store on my way home from a very tiring trip to the mall. It was about 5 minutes from my home and I had never noticed it!! I had associated Merle Norman with older women-but who am I kidding?? I AM an older woman now LOL! So I stopped and explained what I needed and the beautiful saleslady, who looked like a VERY well preserved 60's removed my makeup and remarked "why are you trying to cover your skin-it's still very young looking!" Well, I fell in love with her on the spot! She sold me some powder foundation in Ultra Chiffon which for the first time in a very long time actually blended well with my skin tone! I didn't even have to use it all over-just in the spots that needed evening. since then, I have received dozens (no joke!!) of compliments from friends who want to know what I'm doing different!! This is definitely my HG foundation. Just sorry it took me so long to find it and in my own back yard!!

Love this powder foundation! It is everything I could want in a powder foundation. On days that I don't want full coverage I just wear this. When I am going out I use this over the lasting foundation. I am pale and use this in light. The packaging is very sleek and user friendly. It gives a matte finish and wears well. If you get a correct match in this, you really can't go wrong. The new packaging is a nice update. I really cannot detect a fragrance in this. Some people may be more sensitive to fragrance in products than I am.

After reading the ratings on this product I drove about 20 minutes away to try this product. It says it's a powder foundation, but it seemed more like a lightweight powder to me. Applied dry it seemed like an average powder, applied wet, I didn't like the finish at all. The fragrance is very classic, at times annoying. Packaging, I really didn't care for it, but more importantly I don't believe this product receives this high of a rating IMHO.

This powder looked very nice when first applied on my face. However, when I stepped outside on a very hot and humid day it looked terrible. The foundation didn't allow for my skin to breathe so a film of sweat accumulated on my face. When I got back into the house and looked in the mirror my makeup looked dreadful! I immediately had to wipe it all off it looked so bad. I really like makeup I can wear no matter what I am doing and this did not live up to my expectations.

This is my hg powder foundation! Been using it for a year...Really gives great coverage (on it's own wet, and dry application patting on red spots). Color match is right on. The ingredients are simple and did not ever irritate/break my skin out. Although the packaging is ugly and bulky, I love how the sponge is separated from the powder. The powder itself is not chalky and does not crumble easily. It is creamy and looks great on top of my liquid foundation. I use both the sponge it comes with and a powder brush. I hate going in to this store, so I phone in my order at Merle Norman and they deliver it to my house for free! Give it a try!! :))) For shade reference I'm an NC25 and use this in ultra neutral

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin with large pores, redness, and old acne scars (some discolorations, some pock marks). This is my favorite powder foundation for my skin type. It controls oil, covers my red, does not oxidize, and does not accentuate my pores or scars. The color selection is good, lots of cool and warm options. With primer, this will stay on for 7-8 hours. After that, it is easy to touch up and reapply to areas that need it. I never have a problem with it looking cakey or clogging my pores. I have seen reviews that say Maybelline Purestay powder fdn is a dupe for this, but I disagree. The Maybelline did not have the oil control, staying power or natural-looking finish of the Merle Norman, and for that I am willing to pay the higher price.

I wouldn't use this as a setting powder over a heavy foundation, because it would be too cakey looking. I think this looks best sponged-on over primer or a tinted moisturizer or concealer. If you use a fluffy powder brush, that will be a very light application (too light for me). I also have success with a tight bristled brush, loading the brush and pressing the powder onto my skin - not rubbing or brushing.

This is a wonderful product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

WOW I can't believe I've never written a review for this powder from Heaven.
Like most of you, I've tried a hundred different powders...this is in a league of it's own. I usually use this as a finishing touch over my dinair foundation, it has a beautiful finish, doesn't get oily, doesn't oxidize, DOESN'T CAUSE BREAKOUTS, and can also be used alone for a gorgeous and more natural coverage. this is my HG powder forever.

12/14/12 **UPDATE***
Still in love- still the best foundation ever.

i ADORE this powder foundation! i've been using it for 13 yrs (started when i was 19) and STILL love it! i'm a self-proclaimed beauty junkie and still venture out & try new powder and foundations but i keep coming back to this one!
it goes on so smooothly and i really like how i can build the coverage- from sheer to full on (although it can look a bit cakey if applied in that strength). personally, i like a bit more than sheer so my skin looks flawless.
some ppl do & some ppl don't like the smell- but i LOVE the smell. can't quite describe it but it smells kinda yummy to me! lol
i have dry skin in the winter and this is great over moisturizer. i have slightly oily t-zone in the summer and this is awesome over my spf lotion. seriously- can't go wrong. i think i'd die a little death if MN stopped making this as it's the ONLY product i've continued to buy since my teen yrs!

I have very dry skin and Im always looking for powders that don't make my t zone flakey looking but yet still set my foundation and in always come back to this one!!! You can wear it alone say You dont feel like putting on a lot of makeup you could apply this and get some coverage or apply after foundation and it makes you look flawless! It's amazing I think it's one of those products that are great for all skin types!!!