Japanese Hair Straightening/ Thermal Reconditoning

4.4

on 3/9/2010 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Damage damage damage. If you want to deal with damaged brittle, snapping off hair then go ahead.
Please make sure you do you homework about this before because if you've had highlights or lightened your hair previously or plan to do so after it will affect your hair. Im only warning you because hair can only stand so many chemical treatments before finnaly breaking off.
I had thick strong hair that was very ressilent, I thought it could stand anything because Ive had highlights and extreme colour changes before without damaging my hair. The day i had this done to my hair it looked absolutely fabulous, silky, shiney and straight.. I didnt even feel bad for the clumps of hair that were coming off the comb when this was being done becuase my hair looked so fabulous. did I mention my hairdresser recommended that I needed to cut about 3 cm off after? I didnt need it before as I had just had a trim the week before but of course she did her buisness because damage to the ends was obvious. Still I didnt mind after because my hair looked so good, But the next too weeks another 2.5 cm, and after 1 colouring session, snap snap, my hair was breaking left right and centre and I had to get 3 cm cut again. yes because my hair was so dried out and continued to dry out despite all the treatments I was giving to it.
It cost me so much on protein treatments and home care products just to stop the breakage.
Its been 7 months now since having it done and thanks to the brazilian keratin treatment and kerastase hair products my hair is beginning to look normal again. except for my hairline where its very evident that theres been breakage, the hair is so short in the front that even cutting a fringe would make it look like some stupid hairstyle so I hide it with a hair band everyday until they grow and I can cut a fringe that will look flattering.
Ill never do this agian, its just not neccessary. I actaully miss the waves that I had in my hair but im slowly trimming all the treated hair off.
At least with the brazilian keratin treatment, it washes off and you can regain the beautiful natural fullness to you hair.
I give it 2 lippies.. 1 because it is far better than regular relaxer which ive also tried, with that I had to cut my hair short to roots right there and then. And lippie 2 because it does what it is supposed to.. make hair pin straight.

on 2/5/2010 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I had the Japanese Straightening done about 8 years ago when it was the "in" thing to have pin-straight hair. The cost was about $250 and the process took roughly 5 hours. It worked like a charm on my semi-wavy coarse hair and lasted a good 4 months. The only thing that I didn't like about it is I lost all the volume in my hair, it's just straight straight hair with no volume. I haven't done it for a while since I fear it would damage my hair but if I ever want to have that "pin-straight" hair again, I would probably go this route again. The maintenance is really easy as I remembered, just wake up, comb out the hair and it's straight again.

on 1/2/2009 6:33:00 PM

I had a pretty great experience with TR. It has its flaws (hair becomes too straight, too flat for the first few weeks, etc) but it really is pretty magical!

on 1/2/2009 5:35:00 PM

If I could afford it, I'd have this done again. I absolutely loved it. I didn't have to blow dry, if I didn't want to and there was no frizz. Fab.

My hair is naturally very curly, frizzy, bushy....it's disgusting - I look like a cross between Macy Gray and someone from the Jackson 5. Anyway, the first time I got this done was about 4 years ago and I've never looked back since!

When getting this done at the salon, it takes about 5 hours for me and about 250+. However, I recently purchased the whole hair straightening system from a retailer (only intended for salon use...but who cares?!) and did the japanese hair straightening at home by myself. It took less time than it did in the salon (about 2.5 hours) and I still have perfect results, at a fraction of the cost! (I paid about 70). My hair is no longer curly and frizzy, but straight...I love that I can jump out the shower and not have to do anything with my hair. I still straighten it once a week, but only because I have a specific hairstyle that I like to implement on my hair.

After the treatment, I don't wash my hair for 6-7 days. You aren't supposed to get it wet for roughly 4 days. My hair is left somewhat damaged after the treatment, but definately not as damaged as it would be with a normal chemical straightening process. I do touch-ups every 6 months.

Overall, I really would recommend this for those who have unmanageable hair and just want to wash and go. I never used to feel nice with my natural hair...now, my hair really completes my look and I'm so much more confident. Love this hair treatment!

on 1/2/2009 5:03:00 PM

LOVE IT !! I had this done with the Q8 system on my very blonde hair, another salon turned me down saying they wouldent do it on blonde hair. Q8s line has products for even the most damaged of hair. I went all the way to Palm Springs to get it done there, was vacationing there anyways. I paid $450 which is pretty good, since in Canada they wanted way more. It isnt perfectly straight like other people have gotten but overall most of the curl is gone and I am very happy because before even when I use to flat iron it, the curls would come back during the day. I wish I had gotten the perfect straight hair but atleast my hair is now way better then it was !!

I definately suggest not washing your hair for as long as you can go and when you do wash it use no shampoo and just conditioner on the ends quickly and jump out of the shower as fast as you can. I suffered the greasy hair for a few days but it was so worth it. The hair is so fragile the first few days so be careful. Pieces of hair snapped off just by putting my purse over my shoulder, dont worry after a few hair treatments the hair is back to the same condition.

I also strongly recommend if you get this done to buy the shampoo and conditioner for thermal recondioned/japanese straightened hair. And buy lots of it !! I bought the yuko brand and it came a high cost to me because I just had bought the litre bottles of kerastase shampoo and conditioner a few weeks ago. The yuko condition smells almost like the straightening product. When I use it my hair is much straighter and unbelievable softer and not a single tangle.

on 6/29/2008 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm loving it. My hair is pretty straight to begin with, but not as PIN STRAIGHT as I like (I usually have to layer the straightening cream and flat iron before it gets that straight). I did this to save me that trouble every morning, and it works! It is also not as dry before, so I save $$ on serums as well.

Great time and $$ saving investment. Will def get it re-done once the effects wear out.

n.b. Mine was only $150 for hair almost midway down my back. I'm not sure I would have paid $300-500 like some MUAers on here have :\

This is the best way to get that straight, shiny, silky, flat hair. If you want body, you'll have to style it further, which could be damaging. It is dramatic and long lasting. It changes the structure of your hair and is damaging though it looks healthy, so invest in something to control the damage. And get someone who knows how to do this; I've had worse results in cheaper salons. If you have a tendency to put your hair through other damaging chemical processes, stay away from this. You will irreparably damage your hair. It almost "melts" off, gives you bald spots if you're sensitive to it, you name it. But if your stylist takes care of you, and you in turn take care of your hair, the result is beautiful. If you're thinking about doing this make it the only chemical process you do to your hair. I had mine done in LA, costing anwhere from $150 - $300 for long hair and it takes 3-6 hours. continued >>

on 4/30/2008 5:09:00 PM

This treatment really works! It completely transforms your hair. I have tons of curly/wavy frizzy fine hair. I had this done about 6 years ago. I was in high school and didn't know how to deal with my curly hair. This treatment was like magic. My hair was PIN STRAIGHT for about 9 months. It was healthy, soft, silky, shiny and not damaged or dry at all. All I had do after the shower was comb out my hair and let it air dry perfectly straight on its own! I had never been able to do this! I had no frizz at all. This treatment is a lot of money up front but I saved so much money on styling products.

but, it took about 2 years for my curls to fully come back, and the growing-out stage is difficult to deal with. My hair was not straight, but not curly or wavy, it was just weird. Also, to be honest, I missed my curls. My hair would not curl AT ALL while I had this treatment, not the slightest wave to be found - even on high humidity days. After my hair was finally back to normal, I realized that I actually liked my curly hair, so I did some research and learned how to cut and style my hair properly. I also invested in a CHI ceramic hair iron so I can have straight hair for a day when I feel like it :) I wouldn't do this treatment again, not because it was bad, but its too much of a long term commitment.

If you're thinking of doing this, remember: this treatment is really drastic, especially if your hair is curly/kinky. Be prepared to either get touch ups often if you want to keep it straight or deal with a long awkward transitional period of growing it out. Also do research and find a good salon who has experience doing this treatment. I went to a really great Japanese salon in the NYC area. If anyone needs the name, just send me a message. They know what they're doing and they give great haircuts as well.

on 3/10/2008 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Why did I wait so long?! My naturally curly/wavy frizz-ball hair is now effortly sleek, straight, and silky! Now, I just wash my hair with some moisturizing products, put in a little leave-in conditioner to stave off any damage, and go! It is pin-straight whether I air-dry or blow-dry. The one drawback is that your hair will be a little flat until the roots grow out a little, providing some lift and volume.

I got my hair done in Chinatown, Toronto (at a salon on the first floor of the Dragon City Mall on Dundas & Spadina) for $170. My hair is super thick, an about five inches past my shoulders. The entire process took about four and a half hours--so make sure to bring something to read! The stylist there said that unlike other salons, I could wash my hair, get it, wet, whatever I wanted to do (as long as I didn't tuck it behind my ears or put it in a ponytail, which would cause creasing) for 48 hours. Touch-ups were recommended every 6 months, but my hair grows slowly, so I'm planning on once a year.

This is a godsend--I have wanted hair like this since I was 3 years old. Compliments will abound with your new hair, I assure you!

Message me if you want specific info on the salon I was talking about.

Popular Hair Products