November 28, 2014 | 2009 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by grant9175

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the powder foundation but in the winter I prefer a bit more coverage so i thought this was going to be great. WRONG. I am almost 40 years old and only had a blemish or so here and there thru out my life. This stuff made my face break out so bad I was in tears. I took back to the store and they said they have had so many returns because of this. This is a product fail.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2014 6:44:00 AM More reviews by hipchick66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love everything about this foundation EXCEPT for the pink, itchy rash and painfully dry skin it left me with. I've never had an allergic reaction to anything, and this was the only new thing I used along with their brush to apply it. I wear BE powders with no issues. This foundation is fabulous in shade, coverage and wear. I'm so disappointed that I can't wear it! I've only seen one other person with this reaction on another community board, so hopefully others are not having this problem!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by msaunderscam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is a review for initial thoughts. If things change, this will definitely get updated. I am very, very pale (for reference... NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia is both too dark and too yellow for me) with pink undertones and have had a hell of a time trying to find anything that matches and doesn't look strange. So many foundations are either too dark or too yellow, or both. I own this product in Bare Porcelain 01 and upon initial use, am pleased. Please note I also own the accompanying brush.

I have what I believe to be combination skin with a particularly oily t-zone, especially around my nose, despite having flakes on my nose! Exfoliating takes care of the flakes, and I do my best to do what I can for my skin overall. With that said, this product feels very, very silky going on, as it is a serum. It raised some concerns for me due to this, but it blended in nicely and I can't really notice that I'm wearing it at the moment. It is a bit too yellow for me and a tad too dark, but I believe this may be the closest match I have found thus far.

I used about 4 drops total (I don't like super light coverage) with the accompanying brush and thoroughly enjoy the results so far. It feels silky, I am not noticing any transfer (I even deliberately attempted transfer) despite not having any primer or powder on, and it's a decent color match for me.

While the packaging could be better, I think that it's great that it isn't like certain other products, ex: NARS Sheer Glow without the pump. Shaking it is a bit of an issue due to the cap catching product, but shaking it with a finger over the top as if it was a bottle of at-home hair dye fixes this issue. It's a plastic bottle as well, which may not look as nice as other packaging, but I am ecstatic that I won't have to worry about smashing it when I inevitably drop it sometime in the future.

Until I find a perfect color match, I will definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2014 4:18:00 AM More reviews by Scalata

Got the "Honey" sample from sephora. It felt great on my skin but smelled awful. The foundation separated to an oil (or something) and I mixed it. I then applied it and noticed a very awful smell from it, I was hoping it would go away.

It didn't. It smelled for 8hrs until I washed it off.

It also leaves harsh creases which are difficult to blend

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Leisee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this foundation every day (for work and weekend events) for just over a month now. (Lightest Shade)
I have an oily t-zone (oiliest on my nose) and drier cheeks, so I find it difficult to find a foundation that works well for my whole face. I am also very prone to break outs, always on my cheeks and around my mouth.
I purchased this foundation after heaps of research as I much prefer mineral products over anything else, my skin just responds better. I have been using the BareMinerals Matte Powder foundation for months before I purchased this and I was just a bit sick of the matte look and wanted something a little more natural looking.
This foundation is beautiful, for me it wears extremely well, its very comfortable and I no longer have breakouts. I apply the Prime Time Neutralizing primer underneath (wears much longer with this primer) then apply about 3-4 drops all over my face. I do not use the brush that comes with it I feel it unnecessary when my flat top kabuki has the same effect. At first the coverage doesn't seem like much, but just let it sit while you finish your hair or something because as it sets the coverage seems to settle and build.
Then once I have let it sit I put a tiny bit of translucent powder over my t-zone. If I have any spots that need extra coverage (under my eyes) I use the matte foundation powder on those spots.
When I say it wears beautifully I do not exaggerate, for me the only time it transfers is when my nose gets oily but I blot the oil and its fine, mind you I am not a person who touches my face a lot during the day either.
I literally wear this all day at work then go straight to the gym, do a session (sweaty as), and it looks almost the same as when I applied it that morning!

I will definitely buy again when this bottle runs out. Thanks BareSkin:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2014 2:09:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have had this for about 6 weeks now, I really wanted to give it some time so I could right a fair review. Plus, I have such mixed feelings about this foundation, it took me a while to decide how I really feel.

I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts. This feels pretty oily going on, and after applying, you do feel you have it on. I experimented a great deal with how much to use, and I did buy it with the special brush they have for it. As far as the application went, I found I preferred to apply it with the special brush, but then finish it with my Sigma F80. The Bare Minerals brush just didn't give me an even enough finish. I also tried applying it with my fingers, and I liked that a lot, too.

The coverage is quite good. I would say at least medium, and you can get close to full coverage if you use more. It looks fairly natural. I used Fairly Light in regular Bare Minerals before, and in this Bare Linen was a good match. It looked a bit yellowish going on, but once it was blended in well, it looked great.

What really keeps me from wanting to keep using this is that it transfers so badly. I tried setting it with Mineral Veil, the Bare Skin Perfecting Veil that came in the kit I bought this in, and every type of loose and pressed powder I have ( I have quite a few). But it just never really felt like the foundation was set, and it transfers like crazy.

I don't like products that I have to try so hard to make work. It took me a while to decide, but I now know I will not buy it again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Halzer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have waited a while before reviewing this foundation to be sure that I actually do love it as much as I thought when I first tried it.

I have dry skin that is spot prone. When I first started using this foundation I had lots of blocked pores (those tiny skin coloured bumps) and a few that had turned into a full on spot. I think it was because I had been experimenting with many new foundations in the hunt for my holy grail. I was using Doublewear for a while and then the Boots NO 7 stay perfect which could have been causing my problems.

Anyway, I wanted to find a foundation that was good for my dry skin without annoying it or clogging it more than it was already. Maybe it's the aloe vera in this foundation or the lack of parabens etc, but after two weeks of use, my I have no new red spots and my tiny bumps are disappearing, so my skin seems to get on well with it.

I tried three colour samples of BM BareSkin foundation and decided that Bare Beige was the best match. ( I also tried Buff and Nude. Nude was passable but slightly too yellow and Buff had me looking like Marge Simpson) For reference, my shades in other foundations are as follows: Mehron HD cream foundation - Eurasia Fair, Chanel vitalumiere - 30 Cendre , YSL Touche Eclat - BD50, Boots NO7 Stay Perfect - Honey.

I didn't buy the brush that BM recommends you use with this product as I have the Real Techniques Expert face brush and I find that does an excellent job when applying this foundation.

I use one full drop and it covers 80% of my face very well, leaving a natural looking finish. I say 80% because I don't really go to the edges of my whole face and I never do my entire forehead with foundation. I buff it in and it covers my faded spot marks well but I do use a separate concealer under my eyes and around my nose if I have any redness there.

The bareskin foundation lasts me throughout my working day. I never set my foundations with powder as my skin is dry so I like a dewy finish. In the summer I might use some on my T-Zone, but as winter is coming in the UK right now, it's not really needed yet.

If you have normal to dry skin I would say its worth giving this foundation a go. As others have said, I think application is the key here and less is definatley more when starting to apply it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2014 1:02:00 PM More reviews by missyazuli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a sample of this in the darkest shade, Bare Mocha. The coverage is pretty good, a little does go a long way. For me, 3-4 drops was able to cover up some darker spots on my face. Feels great, like you have nothing on your skin....which can be problematic if you're like me and touch your face a lot. Or if you sweat on your face. This stuff is VERY moveable, even if you powdered it after letting it "set." And don't buy the gimmicky brush you're supposed to use with it; a flat top brush works just as well.

There's also another problem with this that I have. The color. Oh sure, it looks pretty red in the actual bottle. But I put it on my face, and before, during and after blending, I looked like I had jaundice. Not cool.

Sidebar; the sample bottles you get are a squeezable plastic, whereas the full size is a hard container....that you're supposed to wait on.....for the drops..... to come out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Savannahpretzel

I think all of the reviewers that are having trouble with this foundation are applying it wrong. I have to tell you that application is the key. I use 2 drops initially on the specified brush made for Bare Skin. I dab a dot of it on my forehead, following with a dab on each cheek and under each eyebrow, my nose and chin. I gently buff into my skin. I have very red cheeks with acne prone complexion so I buff on another drop onto my cheeks to combat the redness. I got my color matched and a beauty advisor actually showed me the proper process. This helped SO MUCH. This cannot be applied by hand or you'll have a terrible streaky heavy mess. I don't have to use any bronzer what so ever due to the Dewey glowy look the foundation gives me. I use the Becca Mattifying primer along with it and I'm set all day and night. The best foundation I've ever used. Another great product from Bare Minerals !

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Loritheglory

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this foundation! I have oily skin and never have problems with it "sliding off" my face. I do use powder to set it though. It blends extremely well and the small bottle goes a long way. I think people might have bad experiences if they don't use the brush that is recommended with the product. I tried to avoid buying it too, but it makes a huge difference in application! I also love that you can build up the coverage-will definitely buy this foundation again!