December 22, 2014 | 1682 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 10:48:00 AM More reviews by HollyWould123

I had very low expectations of this product after seeing many, many mediocre/negative reviews all of the internet/YouTube. (Especially combined with it being super hyped!) I've only tried this a few times, and feel it's an average foundation. Nothing special, but not a bad product either. I also thought it would be more pricey ($29), so I don't hate the price completely, either. I'd probably pay the money for a full sized version of this and not be mad about it.

I was pleasantly surprised by how lightweight and airy this felt while applying while being veru buildable. I suppose that's the idea behind the name, "bareskin". I have very oily skin these days, so most foundations are going to be tricky for me. This was looked pretty decent for most of the night without needing any crazy touch ups. My skin is not particularly sensitive, so I have not suffered any breakouts as a result of using this. The colors do seem to be a bit on the orange-y side, which I've heard a few times about the shade selection. There are about 20 shades to choose from, though, so it's not terribly difficult to get a close match. I almost feel as though this is a very, very glorified BB cream in a lot of ways as opposed to a foundation. I can basically take or leave this product. Definitely test it out before purchasing, though! It seems like a lot of people are very dissatisfied with this!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by karat94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff makes my skin look absolutely flawless, not counting my blemishes here and there that are raised, but it's not like foundations can fix that anyway. A little goes a long way, and it's so bendable, it's awesome. The only thing that would hinder me from buying this product again is how much it rubs off on EVERYTHING. Clothes, sheets, even my boyfriend's face when I kiss him. It's so aggravating that I have to carefully put on a shirt in hopes that I don't get foundation on it. If they somehow made a more 'stay put" formula Id be all over it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by road2lane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Call me crazy, but I do not think this foundation is as "natural looking" as they say, I can see it on my skin and it gives me a makeup look. Even when I've watched YouTube videos of it, I can tell they're wearing make up ( in all of them) I think the shade ranges off for me. The light is too light, and dark is too dark, also the tones are off-- orangey or something.
I unfortunately often buy two shades of foundation and mix them, but I don't think the payoff is there to do it with this one. I might end up keeping 06 to mix with other foundations if I want to darken them but the jury still out On that. I don't think this is a winner. Try YSL or Laura Mericer.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2014 7:08:00 AM More reviews by reggiemoon

I am 28 with combo to oily skin, some large pores and adult acne. This product was a greasy streaky mess. I tried 4 or 5 different sunscreens and primers under it and it settles in my pores really badly with all of them. The packaging is terrible. The foundation consistency is super runny and theres kinda like a dropper that doesn't work at the top of the bottle. I tried to work with this for about two weeks and its in my beauty reject bag now so maybe one of my friends with dryer skin will want it. Save your money.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by grant9175

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the powder foundation but in the winter I prefer a bit more coverage so i thought this was going to be great. WRONG. I am almost 40 years old and only had a blemish or so here and there thru out my life. This stuff made my face break out so bad I was in tears. I took back to the store and they said they have had so many returns because of this. This is a product fail.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2014 6:44:00 AM More reviews by hipchick66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love everything about this foundation EXCEPT for the pink, itchy rash and painfully dry skin it left me with. I've never had an allergic reaction to anything, and this was the only new thing I used along with their brush to apply it. I wear BE powders with no issues. This foundation is fabulous in shade, coverage and wear. I'm so disappointed that I can't wear it! I've only seen one other person with this reaction on another community board, so hopefully others are not having this problem!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by msaunderscam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is a review for initial thoughts. If things change, this will definitely get updated. I am very, very pale (for reference... NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia is both too dark and too yellow for me) with pink undertones and have had a hell of a time trying to find anything that matches and doesn't look strange. So many foundations are either too dark or too yellow, or both. I own this product in Bare Porcelain 01 and upon initial use, am pleased. Please note I also own the accompanying brush.

I have what I believe to be combination skin with a particularly oily t-zone, especially around my nose, despite having flakes on my nose! Exfoliating takes care of the flakes, and I do my best to do what I can for my skin overall. With that said, this product feels very, very silky going on, as it is a serum. It raised some concerns for me due to this, but it blended in nicely and I can't really notice that I'm wearing it at the moment. It is a bit too yellow for me and a tad too dark, but I believe this may be the closest match I have found thus far.

I used about 4 drops total (I don't like super light coverage) with the accompanying brush and thoroughly enjoy the results so far. It feels silky, I am not noticing any transfer (I even deliberately attempted transfer) despite not having any primer or powder on, and it's a decent color match for me.

While the packaging could be better, I think that it's great that it isn't like certain other products, ex: NARS Sheer Glow without the pump. Shaking it is a bit of an issue due to the cap catching product, but shaking it with a finger over the top as if it was a bottle of at-home hair dye fixes this issue. It's a plastic bottle as well, which may not look as nice as other packaging, but I am ecstatic that I won't have to worry about smashing it when I inevitably drop it sometime in the future.

Until I find a perfect color match, I will definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2014 4:18:00 AM More reviews by Scalata

Got the "Honey" sample from sephora. It felt great on my skin but smelled awful. The foundation separated to an oil (or something) and I mixed it. I then applied it and noticed a very awful smell from it, I was hoping it would go away.

It didn't. It smelled for 8hrs until I washed it off.

It also leaves harsh creases which are difficult to blend

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Leisee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this foundation every day (for work and weekend events) for just over a month now. (Lightest Shade)
I have an oily t-zone (oiliest on my nose) and drier cheeks, so I find it difficult to find a foundation that works well for my whole face. I am also very prone to break outs, always on my cheeks and around my mouth.
I purchased this foundation after heaps of research as I much prefer mineral products over anything else, my skin just responds better. I have been using the BareMinerals Matte Powder foundation for months before I purchased this and I was just a bit sick of the matte look and wanted something a little more natural looking.
This foundation is beautiful, for me it wears extremely well, its very comfortable and I no longer have breakouts. I apply the Prime Time Neutralizing primer underneath (wears much longer with this primer) then apply about 3-4 drops all over my face. I do not use the brush that comes with it I feel it unnecessary when my flat top kabuki has the same effect. At first the coverage doesn't seem like much, but just let it sit while you finish your hair or something because as it sets the coverage seems to settle and build.
Then once I have let it sit I put a tiny bit of translucent powder over my t-zone. If I have any spots that need extra coverage (under my eyes) I use the matte foundation powder on those spots.
When I say it wears beautifully I do not exaggerate, for me the only time it transfers is when my nose gets oily but I blot the oil and its fine, mind you I am not a person who touches my face a lot during the day either.
I literally wear this all day at work then go straight to the gym, do a session (sweaty as), and it looks almost the same as when I applied it that morning!

I will definitely buy again when this bottle runs out. Thanks BareSkin:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2014 2:09:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have had this for about 6 weeks now, I really wanted to give it some time so I could right a fair review. Plus, I have such mixed feelings about this foundation, it took me a while to decide how I really feel.

I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts. This feels pretty oily going on, and after applying, you do feel you have it on. I experimented a great deal with how much to use, and I did buy it with the special brush they have for it. As far as the application went, I found I preferred to apply it with the special brush, but then finish it with my Sigma F80. The Bare Minerals brush just didn't give me an even enough finish. I also tried applying it with my fingers, and I liked that a lot, too.

The coverage is quite good. I would say at least medium, and you can get close to full coverage if you use more. It looks fairly natural. I used Fairly Light in regular Bare Minerals before, and in this Bare Linen was a good match. It looked a bit yellowish going on, but once it was blended in well, it looked great.

What really keeps me from wanting to keep using this is that it transfers so badly. I tried setting it with Mineral Veil, the Bare Skin Perfecting Veil that came in the kit I bought this in, and every type of loose and pressed powder I have ( I have quite a few). But it just never really felt like the foundation was set, and it transfers like crazy.

I don't like products that I have to try so hard to make work. It took me a while to decide, but I now know I will not buy it again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No