Bare Escentuals bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

3.2

-Titanium Dioxide (11): Sunscreen.-Vitamin C: This skin-brightening superpower is known to fade existing dark spots and discolorations for more even-toned skin.Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Coconut Alkanes, Silica, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Lecithin, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Jojoba Esters, Propylene Carbonate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Soil Minerals/Syringa Vulgaris (Lilac) Leaf Cell Culture Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Lilac Plant Stem Cells.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I also have a love/hate relationship with this product. When I first got a sample I loved it so I decided to buy a bottle. Then the hate feeling started creeping in...

Problems: it's too watery/not creamy enough as some other foundations are, which in a way is good as it does not feel heavy. The disaster, however, starts about 2 hours after applying it as it all accumulates in fine lines, which looks absolutely terrible. It does not stick to my face as other foundations do; instead it travels all over! (do not even try to touch your face as it will all end up on your fingers!). I have to check on it so many times during the day and it's really frustrating. I only apply it with a sponge as only then I am able to spread it more or less evenly. Another problem is it runs out of the bottle even though I always keep it in an upright position! Disaster! They should really work on improving the texture + packaging.

What I love about this foundation is the color (I use Bare Linen) which is perfect for my skin tone. I usually find it really hard to find the perfect shade - many brands don't have a good choice of colors and even the lightest tend to be too dark/too pink for me.
It also has quite a good coverage bearing in mind its watery texture.

Overall I don't think I'll be buying this foundation again. At some stage I was actually about to bin it I was so frustrated with it, but I gave it a break and now I use it every so often to finish it off. It does not seem as bad as it was before, but I think it's because of face scrubs/serums etc. I've been using recently. I'd say it's more suitable for very young and smooth skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I would give this 2.5 stars.

I have a love/hate relationship with this and as one reviewer wrote, this is a finicky product. I bought this the first week it came out and the color selection wasn't great, so mine is a little more on the yellow side. First, this stuff stinks! It's a very plastic-like chemical smell which is really off-putting. I used the brush that is supposed to work with this and I felt like I had to grind it on my skin, making it look flaky and dry, with no brightening qualities at all. I basically had a yellow tinted mask on.

I fixed this by shaking the heck out of the bottle, applying a TINY amount, less than a half a pea size to my forehead and cheeks by dotting it on with my finger and I used a brush from Ulta that is an "airbrush foundation" brush, designed to give flawless finish to liquid foundations. I made sure I had a freshly moisturized face and with the above techniques, it looked much better. I had a matte finish, that once it set in, turned a bit more dewy, but I don't think I could leave the house with just this on. I have to add some bronzer so my face isn't so monotone from the yellow base. I suppose if I tried a different color, I may get a different result, but I still have 3/4 full of a bottle. This goes a loooong way.

I would buy again, since it doesn't feel heavy like other foundations and I forget I have anything on. But, I wouldn't necessarily be devastated if I ran out and didn't have any more. I would be much happier if they fixed the smell. The other issues, I can work on.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This stuff is so flipping finicky. I've used it with and without primer, with and without moisturizer, yet, regardless, it will cling to dry patches where none even exist and make everywhere else look like a greasy mask. When I first got it I don't know what was different about my skin or the weather or what but eventually it became positively dreadful looking. I've started mixing it with mac studio water weight because nc25 is now too dark and 03 bare linen is way too light. The only reason I haven't tossed it in the trash is because it seems to be useful for mixing.

The bottle is a little irritating, unfortunately. I store it upside down (and of course shake it a million times) and that helps it to drop out a little easier. If you don't shake it mercilessly it will be oily. And if you don't blend it for far longer than is reasonable you will have yourself a mask.

Positive: has never irritated my skin or made me break out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This did not work for me. I have normal-dry skin and this always left my t-zone area so shiny after a few hours, even when setting with powder. I found that it caked up quite easily regardless of whether I applied with my fingers or a brush. Worst of all I was left with red pimples on my cheeks and forehead whenever using this. I found the bareminerals complexion rescue or their blemish remedy powder to be best for me. This serum foundation, however, is probably the worst bareminerals product I have tried after their original powder foundation! Transfers easily and looks patchy on my skin. Hate the packaging too, it always got messy in the cap and I could never get the right amount out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have tried dozens of foundations, but could never seem to get something that looked decent and would stay on my face all day. For years, I wore Alima Pure in Olive 1.5. I recently moved into a very tiny, crowded apartment and the powder foundation was just too messy.Then when I wanted a liquid/gel foundation, I switched to BareMinerals Complexion Rescue, but wanted more coverage. Plus, as I've gotten older, my face has gotten drier and I began to want a liquid foundation so I would look more polished and refreshed.

I am allergic to just about everything, so I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to wear anything but the Alima Pure. I saw the BareMinerals bareSkin foundation at an Ulta, and got a sales associate to match me to the right shade. It is working quite well. I was matched to #09 Nude for summer, and #07 Natural for winter. I am a huge sucker so I bought pretty much everything that the SA recommended. However, all the products function well together.

I had been using the Complexion Rescue tinted hydrating moisturizer. Because I thought I wanted sheerer coverage, the SA sold me the Smoothing Face Brush, which is a stippling brush designed for use with the Complexion Rescue. She would have sold me the Perfecting Face Brush if I had asked for full coverage. I should have known that the stippling brush wasn't the right brush for me, because I have tried stippling foundation brushes before with other foundations, and simply could not get them to work. This brush gave me coverage that was too sheer, which seems to defeat the purpose of wearing foundation.

I tried applying the foundation with another favorite brush, the BareMinerals Precision Face Brush (a large, fluffy, synthetic, slanted brush with a flat surface and dense, soft bristles). This was perfect for applying the bareSkin foundation. I use about 4 drops of foundation for my entire face. The brush is smooth and lovely for a seamless application. The foundation cost $29 for a bottle that will probably last me a year, and the color and coverage is way better than anything else I've tried. The foundation feels weightless, blends easily, and does not have a smell. The color stays true all day and it doesn't darken or oxidize. I think the formula is a real winner. I have super sensitive, acne-prone skin that is allergic to almost everything, and I'm very impressed that I can wear their formula.

I also ordered the matching brush, the bareSkin Perfecting Face Brush, which has a little divot in the center and is designed to be used with the bareSkin foundation. You are supposed to put 1 drop of foundation in the center divot and buff your whole face. Unfortunately, this brush is way smaller and stiffer than I was anticipating. I prefer a softer, fluffier, larger-diameter brush like the Precision Face Brush. I usually put 4 drops of foundation on the back of my hand and sweep some onto the brush, put it on my mug, and repeat until the coverage looks good.

I have slight dark circles under my eyes, so I pair the bareSkin foundation with a cream concealer by BareMinerals, the Correcting Concealer in Medium 2, applied with a small BE diffuser eye shadow brush that I got in a kit years ago. This concealer is perfect. I only need a tiny bit and it stays on all day. Throughout the day, I touch up with Mineral Veil and that's it. Since I have blepharitis and extremely sensitive eyes, I am extremely impressed that I can wear this concealer with no problems. The formula is gentle and it covers. I don't have any wrinkles, so I haven't had any problem with creasing.

After I do my eye makeup, I set my whole face with a good amount of Mineral Veil. I sometimes feel like a floured biscuit when I'm done, but it sets and really does impart a soft-focus finish. I tried using the Alima Pure finishing powders, but it just didn't set the foundation as effortlessly as the Mineral Veil. I got the jumbo special edition Mineral Veil, and I love the size and the fancy gold lid on my vanity countertop. I touch up once during the day with the "Perfecting Veil" compact. The SA sold me the tan/dark, which is way too dark for my face, but the powder is translucent enough that I'll be able to use it like a bronzer.

I have been wearing this combo for about 2 weeks now. No allergic reactions, all-day wear, beautiful natural coverage that looks fresh, and no acne. I think this is foundation regimen is exactly what my skin needs right now.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Light to medium finish, which is good enough for me. Makes my skin look really healthy and glowy! I have normal/ combination skin and I live in the tropics so its hot and humid all year around, and it doesn't get me too oily. I don't wear it with setting powder, but I usually ensure that my skin is well moisturized. Doesn't break me out. Texture is light and runny, can be somewhat streaky unless blended out with a dense flat-top brush.

For reference: I'm a MAC NC30 and I wear shade 09 Nude.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Absolutely the WORST foundation for oily skin...ever!! I have normal skin on my cheeks and normal to oily skin in my t-zone. I really wanted to like this foundation. The lady at Ulta said she loved it. WHY??
It is SO STREAKY and liquidy. It literally just slides off your face after only a few hours. Even when I tried to set it with powder, it never dried. And if you touch your face, it comes right off on your finger immediately. Felt awful! Like I had oil sitting on my face. I could not wait to wash it off!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Very light natural foundation! Made my complexion amazing. No need for a long review as "perfect" says it all. P.s the brush it not necessary at all!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I was really surprised by this fdtn. Previously I was using nars sheer glow which I didn't like because it was too thick even with a beauty blender. I wear a smokey eye every day so I like to balance it out with really natural glowy skin. This foundation mimics my natural skin but covers up my acne scarring. I apply it with a beauty blender and use their bareskin concealer on top. Using a primer and setting powder is a must with this foundation as it transfers easily. I have dry normal skin and it does get quite dewy about halfway though the day. The downside is blotting is a must. I do like this but don't think I would repurchase. I prefer mufe f&b

Sigh. I waited a couple of months to review this foundation because I wanted to give it a chance. It seems like it worked really well when I first got it, and then it got an attitude. At first it looked natural and although it's not glittery or shiny, caught the light so well. The texture was so smooth and blendable, it was a dream. And it lasted surprisingly well for a foundation of this type, even though I have an oily t-zone, and despite the hot weather.

Then I don't know what happened. It turned into one fussy S.O.B. of a foundation, and I loved it so much at the beginning that I worked my heinie off trying to get that effect back. It started to look cakey and patchy when a I applied it. It doesn't blend as well as you think it would for such a smooth, silky consistency. The patchiness forced me to use more than I usually would, which didn't help the cake-face factor. Then I noticed that it started to separate on my forehead after a few hours. If you looked closely, you could see the pigment pooling into miniscule swirls. It still looked good from a distance, but it was very weird close up. And it showed up in my pores.

I tried primers. Not good when you use a very silky primer like Hourglass Mineral Veil. It streaked like crazy when I applied it with a brush over that primer. I tried Benefit Porefessional, and that worked that helped with application, longevity, and the separation issue, but not enough. Wet'n'Wild's primer, which feels more like a lotion than a traditional primer, also worked okay, but still not great.

Finally what worked best is using a Beauty Blender rather than a brush to buff it in. But it's still time-consuming getting it to blend and not look as cakey. Regardless, sometimes it looks better than others. It's got to be that serum in the foundation that's just not mixing consistently with the pigments.

All in all, the inconsistency is just not worth all that work. Bare Minerals, you have exhausted my arsenal of makeup techniques. I'm moving on to someone less high-maintenance.

Video Reviews & Tutorials