September 21, 2014 | 2115 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous Butterfly

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by iron_goddess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Tried this twice and it failed me both times. It was goopy and clumpy and smudgy. The application wasn't as smooth so each lash looked stubby and uneven. The color and volume though are worth commending. It produces thick dark mascaras that look spectacular when you know how to apply it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2014 12:02:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

PROS: Very dark black. Somewhat volumizing. Easy to remove.

CONS: Smudge city. Tube dried out really fast.

APPLICATION TIPS: Shiseido's primer (even the new one) helps this stay on with WAY less smudging/transfer/flaking. I am a recent convert to using Shiseido's popular curler too.

Before applying, roll this over a paper towel or the back of your hand or whatever to get excess off.

I often like to put a light coat of a waterproof mascara (like Rocket Volum Express in waterproof or Telescopic in waterproof) under one of my very volumizing mascaras (like Manga or Milani Runway Lashes) so that my curl will hold much better.

ALTERNATES: The Rocket Volum Express by Maybelline and L'Oreal's new Manga mascara are better for volume and length that are much more noticable. I also like Miliani's Runway Lashes (and just cover it with Clarins Double Fix if I want to make it "more" waterproofed.)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this mascara for a month in hopes I could blame the wet, droopy formula on the newness. While this is good at darkening my lashes, it doesn't add much volume or length. It leaves my lashes heavy and won't hold a curl. It also flakes. Yeesh.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by venusatlas

Well I'm a lash addict & this mascara does a great job or accentuating my favorite feature! I'm Asian & born with crappy excuse for lashes but this mascara really does help elongate the hell out of them. The formula is easily buildable without getting clumpy. It may smudge easy if you're not wearing any concealer or powder under your eyes but it's not horrible, not like other mascaras. It doesn't feel like a heavy formula either, even after 2 or 3 coats. It washes very easily. I was using Maybelline Rocket for a while which I loved, but washing that crap off was taking a toll on my delicate lashes, even with eye makeup remover or coconut oil. I absolutely LOVE the wand. I think it's the best part of the deal. I read reviews before of ladies saying the wand was hard to get used to but it's amazing! It separates lashes effortlessly & combs the formula through to aid in the no clumping effect. I will definitely buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by heatherstanley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this mascara. Especially the brush. It is GREAT for top lashes. This is my favorite drugstore mascara!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2014 5:59:00 PM More reviews by dannniboyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love, love, LOVE this mascara! The brush gives great separation and length. It also provides nice volume, too. I always curl my lashes, so I don't know how well of a curl it gave. It did give you a "fanned out" look, which was what I was looking for and it was definitely true to the advertisements. I only have two cons. One is that all of a sudden it gets extremely dry. It's not even a gradual descent to dryness, it's like one day you open up the tube and it's perfectly normal, and then the next day it's desert dry. The second is the price. L'oreal mascaras tend to be on the pricey side, but they're well worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is such a fun mascara for nightime "va-va-voom" lashes!

Pros:
I have NEVER before used a mascara that gave so much length! Now usually I don't go for lengthening formulas because my lashes are insanely long (thank you Latesse) but every once in a while I want that major falsie look. That's exactly what I get with this stuff. I also really love that you can layer and layer and if it gets clumpy, it combs out very easily, separating lashes with ease. It also goes with your curl and doesn't weigh them down, just emphasizes them. This is one of the best brushes I have ever tried, hands down. Its extremely easy to work with for me and gets every single lash coated and covered. I have really sensitive eyes and this doesn't bug me at all (I did not get the waterproof though and can't speak for that one). It never smeared or flaked, yet washed off really easily.

Cons:
I am not the biggest fan of fibers in mu mascara and if you over-coat or apply too many coats without allowing the previous one to dry, you do/can get those odd little fiber waves at the end of the lashes. I also don't get good volume at all and some lashes do tend to stick together. Again though that is remedied by combing it out. So to get the most out of this mascara you do have to work with it a little, which can be a con to many (although I don't mind).

This is going to become a staple for me - so far I have reached for it whenever I have nighttime events and I get nothing but compliments. I love this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by lalas17

I have the blackest black waterproof version of this mascara. I really like the look it gives my lashes, but the brush is kind of confusing and not super quick and easy to use. It takes a few coats to make my lashes look the way I want them to, but it lasts all day. Unfortunately, it's not the most waterproof mascara out there. If it's sprinkling outside, then you're fine, but if it's much more than that, this mascara doesn't hold up so great. It's easy to remove, on the other hand. I didn't notice a smell, which is a plus. However, I wouldn't repurchase it because I prefer wet formulas, and for the $7 I think I can buy a better mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by LadySlate

This is my favorite mascara right now. It is my second tube, and that says a lot from me, I'm always trying new ones because they never really reach my expectations. When your close friends and significant other have to ask if you're wearing fake lashes, it's a win in my book. I have tried both waterproof and regular formulas, and had good results with both. The waterproof version can be a bit hard to take off, nothing some coconut oil & cotton won't dissolve. It's also a very pigmented black mascara, I used both formulas in blackest black.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by cblazer973

LOVE! I'd rather purchase this (roughly $10 or so at my CVS) rather than They're Real! by Benefit! It's a good formula, builds well, and is a nice, dark color and really separates the lashes. My only grievance is that the brush really only flares out the right eyes lashes the way its supposed to because if you're like me, I cannot for the life of me use my left hand to apply mascara!

Be that as it may, I really like this mascara and I will definitely repurchase it when I run out! I love the length it gives my lashes and the volume I can get with this as well! :)