April 16, 2014 | 933 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous Butterfly

rated 2 of 5 on 3/28/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by mysteeee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So I really wanted to like this mascara.. my 2 sisters in law say that they loved it and their eyelashes looked awesome. i'm always trying new products and i like the l'oreal voluminous but this mascara is a thumbs down for me. i have decently long lashes but i like them to look thick and really black.. this product not only didn't give me as much lengthening or volume as the normal voluminous mascara but it dries so quickly that i can't layer another coat or fix the first coat. the bristles/brush was very cool looking but didn't distribute product well and the finish is very crunchy and stiff compared to most mascaras i've used.

so the packaging is cute and i think it is waterproof just not the mascara i was hoping for.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2014 8:54:00 AM More reviews by thedailydoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

At least 80% of the time I try a new mascara (high-end and drugstore) I dislike it. I am a Dior, Lancome and YSL mascara junkie (snob). I am all for saving money on products, and typically do not feel expensive skincare products are worth paying for. However, with mascaras, I am willing to splurge pretty much every time. Lancome's products are often identical to L'oreal's (the product, not the packaging), but I've often felt the mascaras are an exception. I never seem to like L'oreal's wands as much as I like Lancome's.

While browsing in Target's cosmetic section one day, my eyes were drawn to the flashy packaging of this L'oreal mascara. I bought it simply to review it, certain I would hate it and ultimately trash it.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have been using it off-and-on for 3 months, and the formula remains as fresh as the day I purchased it. I love the brush, texture, density, finish, effect and result it provides. This is by far the BEST drugstore mascara I have ever used. I have been alternating it with one of my favorite Lancome mascaras, and the result is every bit as great. I get no fewer compliments with this than with my most expensive mascara.

The formula is neither too wet nor too dry, the wand is flexible and offers both a fat side as well as a side for precision. TRY IT!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by MmmQuinn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the waterproof version of this mascara. The formula is great; I had no problems with flaking clumping, or running. It doesn't seem too "wet" or too "dry" either. I'd say the lengthening and voluminizing power of this mascara is average, however. I have gotten the same result with several other mascaras, drugstore and high end. Now for the brush- I will be honest, it scares me a little. I like the idea of the comb, but its a little hard to control and has poked me before. Other than that, I think this is a good mascara, just nothing I'm over the moon for.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by OliveButtercup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A really nice drugstore mascara! So glad I bought it after seeing a few people recommend it on the MU board. I'm not usually a fan of the plastic comb brushes but this one actually deposits a good amount of product while simultaneously keeping lashes curled and nicely separated. Really flares out your lashes. Also easy to flip it over and use the backside on your lower lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 3:25:00 AM More reviews by DebM4

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this mascara! I have sparse, very un-exciting lashes, but Butterfly makes them look fantastic! And nothing lasts on me all day, but this mascara does. I'm actually startled when I look in the mirror at the end of the day and see my gorgeous lashes. Love it! Highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by laurenjill05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this mascara in a target beauty box recently. I really like it so far. I can definitely tell it's lengthening my lashes as a apply it and doesn't clump or flake for me. The brush does a good job at seperating. I've used it the last 3 days in a row and so far so good.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 5:49:00 PM More reviews by singwritenow

I saw a woman at Starbucks with the most gorgeous long lashes. I asked her what kind of mascara she used and she told me about Voluminous Butterfly. One of my HG mascaras of all time is Voluminous, so I couldn't wait to try it. I love the lengthening affect on my lashes, but the main qualm I have with it is that it flakes horribly. After wearing it for only a few minutes it starts flaking and it gets worse throughout the day. I had high hopes for this but sadly, sigh . . . . I am disappointed with it and will not buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Smells like roses!! Or is it just me? Im not sure if theres a difference between this & the "lash-out" butterfly because my package read "voluminous" and the silver tube says "lashout" which theres a separate review/product listed here for. A MUA-er described that as smell of urine bahh. But if uve ever used rosewater on ur face as a toner thats what it smells like--> divine. The brush is unique & gets those outer edge tips nicely if u remember to hold bristles up in U shape & switch sides. The black brown is quite dark, appears black on my lashes (which I dont prefer). No smudging & washes off nicely too, but Im still not crazy about it. I usually get my tips by using the thicker end of the brush & a spoolie. This mascara doesnt hold up my curl & can easily clump with extra coats. I'll finish but probably wont repurchase. Over hyped newbie, sticking to an old favorite--l'oreal telescopic :)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2014 8:13:00 PM More reviews by dauncey07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Is it just me, or did this stuff do nothing good to your lashes? Like I mean nothing, all it did was clump them together, and stick straight out. The brush is meh. I mean I don't hate it, but I did find it a little awkward to use. L'Oreal makes some fantastic mascaras, some of my absolute favourites, but this was a complete miss. For me anyways.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2014 4:28:00 PM More reviews by sjprest

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was looking for a new mascara to try and found this one with its pretty packaging and it promise to make your lashes super long and voluminous, so I decided to give it a try. The first few times I used it, it made my lashes look awesome! And then for whatever reason after that it didn't seem to have the same effect. It didn't make my lashes as long as it had and I noticed that it began to flake like crazy and get all over my cheeks, which is never cute. I do really like the wand though, I feel like I can get every lash and separate them nicely. Maybe I just got a bad tube of the product or something.