L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

I received this mascara as a birthday gift and have been using it for at least half a year now. It's quickly become my favorite mascara to use. Personally, I believe a mascara's worth is because of the wand, and less so the formula. I'm really a big fan of this wand, which curves and fits my lashes great considering I'm an East Asian with straight, medium length lashes. I don't think I see a remarkable difference in length, but holy moly do these curl my lashes or what?

I start out with the straight edge to apply a thin layer of the product, and then apply my second layer using to convex curve side of the brush which is when I really see the product work on opening my eyes. The curl is less noticeable by the end of the day, but I don't stress or care enough for that to think any differently of this mascara.

I wouldn't say I would go out of my way to buy this product again, because I enjoy testing out different mascaras (it's not as important to me as skincare is). But I do recommend this product as one to test out.

My only complaint... Why the heck are these so unnecessarily big? Like, does this really need to be fatter than my concealer stick?

i purchased the not waterproof version. the fibers make the formula dry and flaky. doesnt last long. adds volume but no length whatsoever. uncomfortable to apply. first month the formula was too wet. then it looked good a month later. it went dead-dry a month after that. however i looks good on asian eyelids. just wish it had staying power :(

Ok I love mascara .I must admit I am a drugstore mascara junkie . I really love trying different mascaras but honestly I have had the most success with L'Oreal mascara. I will let you guys in on some secrets . Before I purchase a new mascara in the drugstore I look at the advertisements in the magazines and look at the tiny print because some ads will have in tiny print that they used lash inserts or fake lashes and sometimes I do not purchase those mascaras because I think it is false advertising. I must admit to get that false eyelash look I once wore three mascaras and they were L'Oreal voluminous power 24, L'Oreal false fiber lashes and L'Oreal telescopic. I felt these mascaras combined created length , volume and separation. I then would wear only two L'Oreal voluminous power 24 and L'Oreal false fiber lashes but I honestly only wanted to use one mascara then I saw this mascara and tried it and thought it was the answer to my mascara prayers. It is a great every day mascara it gives volume and a little length and does wing out those lashes on the end I have not repurchased in awhile because I love testing other mascaras but it a mascara worth trying .

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really like the effect this gives my lashes, it volumizes and lengthens. It is also easy to use, and one of those mascaras that gets better over time.

Unfortunately, it has a very strong floral smell. Sorry, but scents on my eyeballs weirds me out. I would buy this again if I can't find my normal drugstore standbys (voluminous million lashes, maybelline full and soft, or Jordana best lash) but the scent makes it a definite fourth choice. A shame, because it does have a nice effect.

Wonderful mascara, IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE!

This mascara does what I always hope mascara will do -- lengthen, thicken, define, not get clumpy or too stiff. My lashes look really lovely with this mascara and the very best thing of all is it doesn't crumble off throughout the day, or smudge, or show up under my eyes as the day wears on.

The amazing wear and ability to withstand to worst humidity, tears, accidental eye rubbing comes at a big cost. Near impossible removal. It took me a few nights to realize my usual face wash was not successfully washing away the mascara. Jojoba oil, which usually removes every kind of stubborn makeup, also couldn't get it to budge. So I would let the oil soak in my lashes for a few minutes, and kind of rub it around to encourage it a bit. Even that doesn't do it. Yesterday, I bought some eye makeup remover pads, and those didn't really fare any better. I swiped for about 6 or 7 minutes, patiently wiping, wiping...the stuff never stops coming off in gradual little bits. I've taken to actually *scraping* my eyelashes with my nails to try and remove it. My eyelashes come off on the little makeup remover pads...still coated in mascara.

This is not good. It makes me rather nervous, too -- what am I doing to my eyelashes with this stuff that I feel like only paint thinner would remove?! It doesn't seem like a healthy thing to be putting on my eyelashes, and watching my eyelashes pop off as I try to remove this stuff is not nice. Definitely won't be repurchasing. The search continues!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I'm just going to jump right into this... First of all, the wand is great! It's a rubber brush with medium-sized bristles. It's easy to get to every lash and coats them well.

Onnnnn the ooooother haaaand, the formula is too wet to hold a curl, gives just a little volume, and lengthens ok.

Coming from a girl with short, fine, lightly colored eyelashes, not a mascara to repurchase. I always have to layer it with another mascara if I want a nice look.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'm so happy I purchased this mascara! I have naturally long eyelashes but they grow straight down and get weighed down easily and never seem to be able to hold a curl. With this mascara, my eyelashes were curled all day! This mascara made them super long, voluminous, not clumpy, and also was extremely easy to take off. Totally recommend.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

For reference: I have very long lashes, and down-turned eyes.

I have mixed emotions on this mascara. I am going to break my review down into two parts:

***** [ The wand ] *****
5 stars for this wand! This amazing little piece of technology is the HG of mascara wands. The inner edge of the brush is longer than the rest. Seems like an ok idea, until you use this on down-turned eyes. If you understand the struggle of down-turned eyes: getting your outer lashes to get any product, much less curl or lift when they slope down - nearly impossible. Getting lift there is especially important for this eye shape too!
This wand makes it SO easy. I can not say enough good things about the shape of this wand. If you have down-turned eyes, I highly recommend purchasing, if just to give the wand a try.

* [ The mascara formula ] *
1 star for the formula. I want to love this mascara, because I adore the wand. But the formula isn't working so well for me. I think it coats very nicely, and gives my long lashes a nice bit of curl and length. Very little flaking with this too. Overall, it gives a nice look, but it makes my lashes hard as rock. I also find it quite difficult to remove.

It has a very strong smell. A slightly chemical type smell. I find myself still smelling it throughout the day, even hours after application.

The biggest let down for me is when I try to remove it at the end of the day, or even touch my lashes while wearing it, my eyelashes fall out. Maybe it is coincidence, because the formula is so hard when it dries? But when I use my smashbox mascara, I don't notice this. It is difficult to remove, which only adds to the problem. I was noticing lashes on my makeup remover cloth nightly - enough to alarm me a little bit.

***** [ Conclusion ] *****
I don't plan on purchasing again. I would LOVE to use this wand every day, but not this mascara formula. I hope that L'Oreal keeps the wand, and adds that same shape to some of their other formulas.

It's funny what happens with this mascara. I really don't like it when I apply it; I feel it kind of dry and it's difficult to apply it without any clumps but I love it during the day. My lashes don't lose the curb and look very natural. It doesn't flake either. Overall, I don't think I'd buy it again.

I have stubborn annoying Asian lashes. My lashes are stick straight, short, point downwards and thick. They take a lot of effort to curl and they flop as soon as I put mascara.

I have the waterproof version of this mascara and is one of the 3 mascaras that hold my curl and doesn't make me look like a panda after an hour of wear time. The wand is an off shape and will take some getting used to. Gives me extra length and volume.

The reason it got 4 lippies instead of 5 is because... this mascara is super duper hard to remove! Even my favourite makeup remover (Neutrogena oil-free makeup remover) has a really hard time getting it off.

It may just be me who has such a hard time removing this mascara. For those who have stubborn straight lashes, this may be worth a shot since it's affordable.

The reason I wouldn't repurchase this is because the Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof works just as good but isn't as hard to remove.

Popular Mascaras