L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

on 6/18/2015 12:26:00 PM

This one did nothing for my short straight lashes. In one coat I dare to say it made my lashes look worse than they do on their own, since it uncurled them. Second coat (and I never do second coats, since I prefer a more natural look, but here I felt like I had to) dramatically increased volume, but it right away became spider leg territory when I tried to comb though clumped lashes. And this thing starts flaking immediately! Scent doesn't bother me. Comb is awkward and gimmicky, I poked myself in the eye and pretty much got mascara all over my face. This thing needs a manual. I didn't like the tube, it's the cheap kind of shiny. But wouldn't care if the formula were better. Washed off easily, so that's nice. Maybe it gets better once it dries up a bit? I might try a few more times, but I don't have high hopes.

on 6/11/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This was not an obvious choice for me to try, as I haven't had much luck with these unique brushes. However, WOWZA. I caught a glimpse of my eyes in the rear view mirror yesterday, and I couldn't believe how good this stuff looked. My lashes looked so lush and feminine, and even my eyeliner looked flawlessly applied (which it wasn't). Not appreciably thicker, but so feathery! It lifts the outer corners of my lashes, seems to make new lashes appear, and most unusually, coats the base of my lashes better than any mascara I've ever tried without weighing them down. And I hate to say it, as a long-time "naturalist", but the deep, deep brown/black is insanely flattering, for some reason. Yes, it doesn't look like my natural lash color, but it is so pretty, I don't care.

Update: so sad, but this is not aging well, the formula is getting kind of lumpy and harder to apply, and it's coming off a bit during the day.

on 5/19/2015 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I'm so torn on this mascara. It's amazing for length and volume. It makes my lashes really long and it decently gives volume. It gives a sort of spidery look(in a good way). It clumps a little too. I get compliments on my lashes with this. What totally threw me for a loop was that it flakes under my eyes after a couple hours and the formula is too wet for my liking. If someone has a mascara that basically does the same as this but has a better formula, please message me :(

on 5/18/2015 6:07:00 PM

This is one of MY favourite mascaras but its probably not for everybody. I love the length and curl I get from this, so-so volume, its a wee bit clumpy but I actually enjoy a bit of a spidery look. So I guess it depends what kind of look youre going for. This doesnt flake or smudge for me. The only turn off for me is the weird smell? A bit of a weird plastic/expired makeup kind of smell, even when its brand new

on 5/18/2015 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Decent mascara, makes my lashes look very.... sleek? I would classify this is as lengthening mascara personally, as I find it volumizing power isn't anything to rave about. It gives my lashes a very romantic look, seperating and flaring them out to the corner. There is a bit of clumping but not as much as some of the drugstore mascaras I've tried.
I can't shake the feeling this product is somewhat gimmicky, but I do enjoy the results it gives me. Three stars for makin my lashes look pretty good, but not holding up to the volumizing claim.

on 5/17/2015 2:26:00 AM

I really like this mascara a lot!! It glides on smoothly to the lashes and makes a good lengthy winged appearance to them:))I recommend this to anyone that wants that extra little flip to their lashes hence the name voluminous butterfly and it also does show volume like it says.

on 5/15/2015 5:28:00 PM

Let me begin with I love how this mascara makes my eyelashes look. They do not clump together I get both great length and volume. It looks like I'm wearing fake eyelashes. HOWEVER, this mascara dries out very quickly. I always make sure to close my caps correctly, but this dried out a week after buying it. This mascara also flakes really bad. I'm thinking because it dries quickly, but I apply 2 coats with other mascaras no problem. So yeah my eyelashes look great but I have to worry about flaking throughout the day

on 4/21/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I enjoy trying new mascaras. A friend told me Butterfly was a good one, so I picked up a tube last summer. I re-purchased it a few times. I liked the packaging. I got a few in Regular in the blackest black they had. My lashes are already a tad curly so I didn't notice more curl. I liked the wet formula & suffered no flaking or smudging. It was a reasonable $7-9 from Target & WalMart. I noticed it was definitely one of the blackest mascaras I've tried. I liked the curvy, winged brush. It applied mascara easily w/minimal clumps. I didn't mind twisting my hand around to do my left eye. I usually apply mascara that way, anyway. I don't know why they put Voluminous w/Butterfly on the label b/c I saw minimal volume. I saw lots of length, as in eyebrow-skimming lashes. That makes it great for night but not ideal for day-to-day wear. It layered well so achieving the volume-to-length ratio was a cinch. Removal was simple w/a face wipe. I also tried the Midnight Black shade & was disappointed. It was really black but the formula was dry in contrast to the Regular blackest black. I think my tube of Midnight Black only lasted 2 months. It flaked in a way Regular blackest black didn't. I didn't mind the strong rosy fragrance of the mascaras. It seemed to dissipate quickly upon application. I have returned to NYC & Cover Girl mascaras that deliver what I want for lower prices. I want black, thick, & somewhat longer lashes. This delivered color & length but minimal volume. I would repurchase Regular blackest black but not Midnight Black. However, I'm in no hurry to do so.

on 4/14/2015 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was very disappointed by this mascara. I bought the water proof version and let me tell you it was so difficult for me to remove I thought I was going to lose eyelashes. It also clumped horribly. Maybe I just got a bad batch, because I found that the actual product inside the tube was drying out quicker than normal. Definitely will not repurchase.

on 4/11/2015 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Total HG mascara. It's the whole enchilada for me, separates, lengthens, curls, darkens, and thickens. It does everything I want and at an affordable price. I used to buy Too Faced Better than Sex, but this is the new inner. I always get compliments when I use it to.

Video Reviews & Tutorials