L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

on 4/8/2015 2:52:00 PM

I tried this mascara after reading some great reviews. Unfortunately it did not work for me. I didn't notice any volume and I have never used a mascara that flaked as bad as this one. Ugh. Very disappointed.

on 4/3/2015 11:39:00 PM

I bought this in waterproof - because I have been struggling to find a mascara that doesn't smudge/run under the eyes. I watched a review online that said the waterproof worked just as well as the normal.

Pros:
- Love the eyelash shape, makes the outer lashes +++longer - for that butterfly look
- Waterproof staying power is good - no smudging

Cons:
- Harsh waterproof in that I lose a lot of lashes (there are some better waterproof formulas out there that are gentler on lashes)
- By the end of the day the butterfly look is gone, I think the lengthening effect fades over the day

Not bad. But won't repurchase.

on 4/3/2015 8:02:00 PM

This has become one of my regular mascaras; it does a beautiful job on my lashes, giving the "butterfly" look as they say: dense, long and curly on the outer edge of my eyes, and I often put less at the top on purpose, to enhance the butterfly look. It really dresses up my eyes well and puts a good amount of product on without making clumps. I find one coat does the job of 2-3 coats from other mascaras. It doesn't do a wet look, stucked together lashes either, rather it multiplies them. I had been avoiding L'Oreal mascaras in general as I find them generally underwhelming, but this one reconciled me. I've bought it multiple times now, only once did the product not perform as well (getting old prematurely). By no means do I believe it was a bad product, probably just one that was too old (only time I bought it online in fact!).

on 4/3/2015 12:02:00 AM

I'd been eyeing this out for a while because of the shiny-licious tube, and was unpleasantly surprised when it turned out to be the ONLY mascara in the history of my mascara usage that has ever flaked on me.

I will continue to use this because it DOES give the volume that is expected -seeing as it is a L'Oreal voluminous... but i can't wait until something better comes on sale that will save me from this black-pepper-under-eye nightmare. Not cool considering i paid 10 dollars for this, not cool at all.

Granted if i stay inside all day and don't move much then the flaking is minimal, but....ugh, such a disappointment, i really hoped i would love this.

2/5 for the thickness it gives my lashes, 3 lippies taken off for unsightly and un-beautifying flakes.

on 3/20/2015 9:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It is official...I do not like this mascara. The brush design is awesome but the mascara itself has a cheap moisturizer smell ugh. Even worse is the oily greasy consistency that makes it difficult to apply. Like trying to pin jello to a wall. It doesn't have tackiness to stick easily and takes too long to dry. I end up smearing accidentally grrr. I'll continue to use the loreal telescopic shocking extensions mascara :)

on 3/19/2015 11:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to love this. It makes my long lashes look beautiful. But, man, does it flake! I spent all day picking it out of my eyes. Makes my eyes red and burn, so I won't be repurchasing.

on 3/15/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this mascara on sale, I've been using it for about a month now. I am really pleased with it. It lengthens my short straight lashes, hasn't clumped or flaked yet. It's very easy to layer, some days I put on one coat for a subtle look and other days I layer it several times to create thickness. Overall, this mascara is pretty good! I'd buy it again. The brush design is nice as well, the way it's shaped. I find it reaches the corners of the eye easy enough, and helps coat all of the lashes.

on 3/13/2015 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love it! I tried the water proof and the intenza version and they weren't as good but this one makes my eyelashes super long.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Love the packaging and the name of this mascara. I was intrigued and wanted to try it... In the beginning, I really liked it. It was nice, a bit on the wet side. However, the more I used it and the more it clumped. After 2 weeks of using it, I couldn't wear it anymore because it just wouldn't work. Clumpy, Messy, just really bad... I thought it was me who wasn't using it properly so I bought another one and it did the exact same thing !!

I'm disappointed because I love the brush, but I guess it works differently on different individuals. I cleaned the brush and I'm using it to comb through my lashes when I apply my mascara now, so at least I was able to use the brush (and it works great) ! But the formula .. I would not recommend. Especially to those who want nice defined lashes with no clumps..

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My go-to for over two decades has been original Voluminous--first brown-black, and then carbon black. I go back to it because I can't find anything else I like better, but I hate how it dries out so quickly and can get a bit overly thick/clumpy.

I tried the Butterfly one because I'm open to any variation in the Voluminous family--and wow! This is a welcome addition. The formula is much thinner and smoother than the original one, and the uniquely shaped brush separates my lashes quite well and coats them from top to bottom. NO clumping. Time will tell how long a bottle lasts, but I'm already seeing a way better lifespan from it than original.

It does flake by the end of the day, but I haven't met the mascara that doesn't so I'm not downgrading for that. Excellent effort, can't argue with price, and I will repurchase. Probably at least two!

Popular Mascaras