L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

on 3/19/2015 11:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to love this. It makes my long lashes look beautiful. But, man, does it flake! I spent all day picking it out of my eyes. Makes my eyes red and burn, so I won't be repurchasing.

on 3/15/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this mascara on sale, I've been using it for about a month now. I am really pleased with it. It lengthens my short straight lashes, hasn't clumped or flaked yet. It's very easy to layer, some days I put on one coat for a subtle look and other days I layer it several times to create thickness. Overall, this mascara is pretty good! I'd buy it again. The brush design is nice as well, the way it's shaped. I find it reaches the corners of the eye easy enough, and helps coat all of the lashes.

on 3/13/2015 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love it! I tried the water proof and the intenza version and they weren't as good but this one makes my eyelashes super long.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Love the packaging and the name of this mascara. I was intrigued and wanted to try it... In the beginning, I really liked it. It was nice, a bit on the wet side. However, the more I used it and the more it clumped. After 2 weeks of using it, I couldn't wear it anymore because it just wouldn't work. Clumpy, Messy, just really bad... I thought it was me who wasn't using it properly so I bought another one and it did the exact same thing !!

I'm disappointed because I love the brush, but I guess it works differently on different individuals. I cleaned the brush and I'm using it to comb through my lashes when I apply my mascara now, so at least I was able to use the brush (and it works great) ! But the formula .. I would not recommend. Especially to those who want nice defined lashes with no clumps..

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My go-to for over two decades has been original Voluminous--first brown-black, and then carbon black. I go back to it because I can't find anything else I like better, but I hate how it dries out so quickly and can get a bit overly thick/clumpy.

I tried the Butterfly one because I'm open to any variation in the Voluminous family--and wow! This is a welcome addition. The formula is much thinner and smoother than the original one, and the uniquely shaped brush separates my lashes quite well and coats them from top to bottom. NO clumping. Time will tell how long a bottle lasts, but I'm already seeing a way better lifespan from it than original.

It does flake by the end of the day, but I haven't met the mascara that doesn't so I'm not downgrading for that. Excellent effort, can't argue with price, and I will repurchase. Probably at least two!

on 2/22/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My eyelashes are very very long and blonde. This mascara lengthened decently well but also clumped my lashes together so so badly. The more I tried to separate my lashes, the worse it clumped them.

I kind of liked the mascara itself, but the wand was not my friend. I ended up using a wand from another mascara so that the mascara wouldn't go to waste.

I will not be buying this again. I was really glad when it finally ran out.

This mascara is closest to the definition of holy grail! I tried tons of mascaras from high end to low end, and I am going to put an end to my search for mascaras. So far, I tried clinque, origins, tarte, benefit, rimmel, covergirl, and wet n wild. Those were all of mediocre quality with exception of tarte cameras, lights, and lashes or benefit bad gal lash (except $20 is pricey for something that is only going to last for 3 months) At first, I thought the wand was kinda gimmicky, but it is the most practical brush I have ever seen. It works like a comb in a sense that it coats lashes from root to tip really well and fans it out to give it a fluttery butterfly look. It holds the curl too for 6+ hours and doesnt flake on my eyes, I havent tried the non waterproof version, but I definitely recommend waterproof version for flake free, smudge proof formula for oily lids. It works great for my thick, short asian lashes. I like to pair this look with a winged liner look because it looks really pretty. The only con is that it doesnt give the most natural results. A tad bit too dramatic for daywear.

on 2/16/2015 6:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Info: Medium length lashes.

LOVE! My HG mascara was Benefit's They're Real and that was quite expensive, so I tried this (half the price) and it works just as well on my lashes! I've always worn more than two mascaras to get the effect, but with this one, I can go out confidently just using the L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly! Already on my 2nd tube in 2 months!

on 2/15/2015 12:17:00 AM

My eyelashes are average. I have average length, volume and my lashes don't curl or droop down. Very average.

I wanted to like this mascara. It gave me great length, no volume, and it flaked off... Badly. To a point that I would find black specs of mascara on my cheeks. The worse was when these mascara flakes got into my eyeballs... Holy it hurt!!! It also irritated the base of my lashes, where the hair grew out. I think I may have been slighty allergic to this product.
In addition, the wand was so spiky!! Be careful, I accidentally got too close to the base of my lashes and this wand was sharp! Ouch!!!
Thankfully I bought mine on sale for $8.99. I will never buy this mascara again. I'm sticking to my Miss Manga - my high street/ drugstore favourite.

on 2/14/2015 7:32:00 PM