November 23, 2014 | 2094 users online

Mascara - Guerlain - Maxi Lash Mascara

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Yushimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Wow I haven't wrote a review in ages. But here I am.

Alright, so I've been using this mascara till it's empty before I write this review because 1. the formula might work better when it's a bit more used and 2. I want to give it a very fair shot.

I love the separation on the lashes when I use this (I have Asian straight lashes but they're probably a lot longer than most Asians) and doesn't look like a clumpy wet mess. I like how the formula is buildable and yet still looks natural. I find I like the formula more after a few uses when the formula is a tad more dry. Mascara doesn't flake on me and I wear contacts so that's very important. Easy to remove. Doesn't smell funky. Nor do I smell any scent in my mascara. For $32 Canadian...I would repurchase again but it would be a tie with the YSL Faux Cil for "high end" mascara.

I hope I covered everything. I didn't get any irritations. Not smudging through out the day. (I tend to have oily lids at times). I love layering with this mascara if I really want the extra oomph. I would use this mascara first to separate (really good at doing that and still making them look natural, which is what I do for work) and when I go out in the evening I just layer it with another mascara like...YSL Faux Cils. But remember, using too much mascara of any type will make your lashes clump. This just doesn't have an easy tendency to clump unlike wetter mascara formulas.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by mousquerader

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I never thought that mascara actually did much for my eyelashes, no matter how many coats I applied. I thought all mascaras were the same, and I have tried a bunch of popular ones like DiorShow Black Out, which all seemed to just coat my lashes with black, but never actually made them look longer, thicker, or nicer. I was recommended this mascara by someone on the makeup board, and I decided to order it one day online without having tried it first. The first time I put it on, I noticed that my lashes actually looked dramatically longer and thicker. I was really surprised because that never happens to me with mascara, and I previously could only get that effect with false eyelashes. However, I wasn't too pleased when the thick, wet formula caused my eyelashes to droop and straighten out, which was disappointing because one of the mascara's claims is that it curls the eyelashes. I have naturally straight lashes, which I had curled, so anything wet or heavy will make the curl straighten out very quickly. Curling the eyelashes with after the mascara was on was a bad idea because it just made my eyelashes clump together and look bad. The next time I got a chance, I applied a waterproof mascara, and then a single coat of Guerlain Maxi Lash, and I finally got the effect I wanted without my lashes straightening out! My eye lashes looked amazing, and I could definitely see the dramatic effect of longer, thicker, curled lashes. Maxi Lash does not yet come in a waterproof formula as far as I know, but if if it did, that would be the perfect mascara for me. I will definitely not be without this mascara a single coat of this does what no other mascara (with even 5 coats or more) could ever do for my lashes.

I also tried YSL's Baby Doll mascara to compare to Guerlain Maxi Lash (both at $30), and I can say Guerlain Maxi Lash is better if you want very long, thick lashes that are almost like falsies. YSL's Baby Doll is nice and creates feathered, separated lashes, but the effects of lengthening and thickening are not as dramatic as Guerlain Maxi Lash, even with two or three coats.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 5:51:00 PM More reviews by juliaesands

I tried this at Sephora. The immediate effect is a fluttery, light and well defined lash. You are not going to get major volume with this unless you line your lashline and add tons of falsies. The packaging is beautiful and the black and brown color are lovely, but ultimately, unless you are a major Guerlain fan and don't mind too much about building up the lashes (just feathering them out), you'll pass on this.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2014 5:24:00 PM More reviews by belladil

So I went into Sephora with the intent to buy a mascara that was next level and make my lashes look like I had fake ones on. I was pointed right to Guerlain Maxi Lash and the girl who sold me on it said it was so volumizing and lengthening that she would only wear it on special occasions. Needless to say I am pretty disappointed.

I honestly think the brush is extremely similar to L'oreal volumious. This mascara is just so-so, especially for the price. I really got my hopes up and thought I would love this mascara, but I don't think I will be buying it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/9/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by blackberries

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Such an expensive mascara but it's only just so-so. It didn't do much to my lashes... I like volumnizing and darkening mascaras, this one only gave a nice black coat over the lashes. That's it! Just a black coat! I also found the bottle only lasted a month for me (of daily use)! Usually I am able to squeeze a few more weeks after its due date, but this became dry in a month. I will not be repurchasing again..

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Sara44

Separates lashes with no clumps, very build able to the point where it looks like you have fake lashes!

Update - it gets a bit clumpy when it starts to run out, and isn't the most lengthening mascara I've tried.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by Milena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For me, this mascara was just average. Truly meh. Beautiful tube, wonderful scent, but it didn't hold my curl at *all* and only gave me length and separation (just like Definicils mascara). On my lashes, there is zero volume with Maxi Lash, no matter how much I applied or how I applied it (with and without Lancome's base). Since I love the look of full, thick lashes, I returned this to Sephora. I get better results with drugstore mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by leilei465

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I exclusively use high end and mid range mascaras because I find them to be significantly better than drugstore ones. This was my first Guerlain mascara that I purchased and it was on a whim. I typically don't purchase non waterproof mascaras, but I figured I'd give it a go as a layering mascara. It doesn't give much length, but I does help with volume. I recommend anyone with thin, straight lashes that naturally point downwards and have trouble holding a curl to only use this mascara with a waterproof base mascara underneath, as this will definitely weigh them downwards. Overall, I don't think this mascara is anything special for $30. It's not a bad mascara, but that being said I think I'll keep trying new ones than repurchase this when it's through.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by blacksheep6293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So much love for this mascara. I was on the prowl for a luxe mascara and this did not disappoint. I've had it for about 3 months now so it's time to replace it...anyway!

TEXTURE/SCENT/PACKAGING
This mascara comes in a short squared off polished gold rube embossed with the Guerlain logo. The brush handle is shorter than usual mascaras but it doesn't hinder the usage.
The brush itself is very reminiscent of YSL faux cils except this is morr rounded and the bristles are spaced slightly further apart which helps to peevent clumps for me.
This has a high end perfumed scent so if you are sensitive to scents you may need to give this a miss. I've never experienced a 'scented' mascara until I used this. It gives it a very luxe special feel.

PERFORMANCE
This fans, separates, lengthens and slightly plumps my lashes and is layerable without clumping. It's not a very wet mascara but its not dry either. Mine has sort of dried down rather than dried out but I am due for a new one. The brush tends to get flattened towards the end of the mascaras cycle and I have been layering it.
Is it worth $40AUD? yes and no. I love the luxe feel, the scent and the overall outcome but its so so so hard to justify this on mascaras.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2013 12:18:00 AM More reviews by paleandpink

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Another mascara I loved for the first couple of weeks, yet again another mascara has failed me. The first week I thought I found my holy Grail of mascara. It made my lashes doll like and long. I really could care less about volume.
Well to make my long story short after two weeks again another mascara starts to dry up and start to clump.
Oh I forgot to say, it did smudge on my upper lids from day one,, which I would have been willing to live with. Oh well it sucks and back it goes to sephora.