Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

4.2

Not tested on animals

sucrose, propylene glycol, carbon (activated charcoal), kaolin musa sapientum (banana) fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut extract), zingiber officinale (ginger) root extract, psidium guajava fruit extract, cymbopogon schoenanthus extract, carica papaya fruit extract, maranta arundinacea root extract, rubus idaeus (raspberry) fruit extract, santalum album (sandalwood) extract, macrocystus pyrifera extract, nasturtium officinale extract, aleurites moluccana extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, carbomer, fragrance (parfum), iron oxide.

I have no idea how a) Freeman markets this as a mask or b) anyone says this is "not abrasive." I use a number of scrubs and this is one of the most abrasive I have ever used. Clearly, your mileage may vary, but I have found better/more effective masks from Freeman and better, less abrasive/more effective scrubs from other manufacturers.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Another product I spent ages looking for, was excited finally to find and, sadly, another product that has left me disappointed. I think perhaps (or perhaps not) what I really wanted was the "mud" version of the charcoal and black sugar product but this was all I could find and I considered myself lucky to find it (in Canada, Walmart seems to be the only place that still carries Freeman). I'll look again next time I'm there - I know they had single use packets as well but I thought it was the same formula as this. If it's the mud one, I'll be happy to give that a try.

I guess to me this really does not seem like a "mask" at all. It's a wet, large-grained scrub that you're expected to leave on your face for 5 to 7 minutes and then scrub for 2 minutes. In those 7 minutes, it doesn't dry and doesn't feel like it's drawing or purifying anything at all. And if I'd scrubbed my face with it for 2 minutes, I'd have no skin left! So, both functions of this product let me down a lot. Adding insult to injury, the lid on mine does not line up or seal up properly. I do think it closes but not tightly and, because the lid doesn't snap closed entirely, the tube sits on a bit of a tippy angle.

I am on my third tube of this stuff. My skin absolutely loves it, and it's perfect for a lazy girl's skincare routine. As many reviewers have stated, this mask is very gritty which makes it a little difficult to distribute on your face. Once it's on you get a warming sensation, and you know the activated charcoal is working it's magic in getting rid of toxins. I leave it on for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I wet my face, gently exfoliate my skin with the sugar granules, and rinse. I use this three times a week to deep cleanse, treat, and exfoliate my skin at the same time. I've deducted some lippies because of the packaging. The previous two tubes I had did not close properly after they've been opened. This product does what prestige brand masks do, but even better. The cherry on top is that at less than $4 a tube, this mask is a steal. Would buy again and again and again...

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

2 things I really like about this product, it's a charcoal mask but it doesn't dry out my skin, the exfoliant in it is sugar so it won't end up in some river killing fish. I use it more as a scrub because the consistency is on the lighter side, I just slather it on before jumping into the shower and it leaves my skin feeling nice and soft. It's a great scrub/cleansing mask to add in your skin care routine.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is more like a scrub rather than a mask. But I am totally okay with that because it's a great exfoliator! I've ditched my other face scrub (I thought nothin could top it) but this really proved me wrong! I was a little hesitant to buy this because I have tried a charcoal face scrub from garnier and that left my face dry and dull. But really gets rid of dead skin which gives you a radiant glow. It also brighten and tones my face. I use it as a face scrub daily and don't get dry skin. A good tip: use it in the shower when all your pores are open. As you massage your face with it, it heats up which then will clear out your pores to reveal a natural glow. I find it more effective as a face scrub than a face mask. Found something great and wanted to share it. Hope you all like this as much as I did! :)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Hands down, HG status. I have extremely dry and sensitive skin. I use this everyday in the shower. Gentle enough for everyday use, but is just abrasive enough to get a good scrub in. You can't be too harsh on ur skin cause it dissolves as you rub. You can't beat it for the price. I've tried the MAC version n literally can't tell the difference. I've recommended this to people with different skin types n love it just the same.

This is more of a scrub than a mask. The effects are okay and the price is cheap but it's nothing special. There are better charcoal products out there especially if you are looking for an actual mask.

I saw it on sale for $4 or $5 and I remembered seeing this product had great reviews on here(although I did not read them thoroughly) so I thought I would give it a try. I checked out the ingredient list and it seemed to be good. Sugar was the top ingredient and I kind of expected this, but the charcoal was very high on the list along with kaolin so I thought this would be a good one. When I actually used it I was very disappointed in the application and the detoxifying claim, although it was a good scrub(but how could it not be when the product is 80% sugar?).

The ingredient list is deceiving, it looks like there's all the right things in it; the charcoal, kaolin(clay), and various extracts. But this "mask" is literally just a sugar scrub and while this price was cheap, it's not worth the money has anyone can just mix up their own sugar and oil scrub for many times cheaper at home. Because it's mostly sugar it's very hard to actually spread over your face and a lot of it clumps on my hand. It's nice that it does not drip off your face though,The charcoal and kaolin in this is very little, and is probably there just to colour the sugar. Any detoxifying is superficial at best, even though the mask does comfortably warm up a little, because I don't feel like there's enough of the detoxifying ingredients to draw out impurities even if you leave it on over the recommended 5-7 wait time (and it only stays warm for less than a minute), especially since the sugar makes it so hard to evenly cover your face. After I scrub it off (very gently, the sugar granules are large and bumpy enough to damage skin if not, if you're sensitive consider skipping this)
my face does feel smoothed.

I don't recommend this product, it's a gimmick. In fact out of the rest of the masks in Freeman's range only the clay and enzyme masks seem to be legitimate masks that work.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Sticky, very drying, irritating, smells perfumey, too chunky, & caused my skin to break out. Terrible product!

Heating sensation as you put on your face. Tried using as a mask/scrub and rinsing off with washcloth; not that good of results. Tried using as a mask and rinsing off with my hands; best results! FYI, there is oil in this mask. I have combi-oily skin. My skin loves this mask. Leaves face so soft. Use this twice a week. Not sure if it helps with acne, but my skin is bright, glowy, and baby soft! I let my son use it too!

Wonderful facial sugar scrub! Not abrasive at all, yet exfoliates really well w/out overdying. Scent is refreshing and pleasant ( does not smell "cheap"); Price is excellent (around ($4.99 CAD) and works just as well, if not better than higher - end scrubs. Was nicely surprised with this scrub... Skin looks fresher and enegized , especailly after a long day (pollution, makeup, face cream , sunscreen , etc-this scrub gets rid of all of that) .Now if only Freeman would bring back the Grapefruit Sugar Body Buffer Polish scrub that would be fantastic, as that body exfoliator had the perfect amount of "grit" yet left skin moisturized...