Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I wanted to try Better Than Sex mascara for a while. I tried to get a sample with my Sephora Beauty Insider points, but they never seemed to have it. Finally I decided to just buy it. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

I use this mascara for my first base coat. I have been using L'Oreal's Carbon Black Voluminous mascara. However, when I used this mascara I found that it did a great job of coating my lashes with an intense black color, volume, lengthening and thickening. I did not have any clumping at all. None. Also, no smudging at all. The application was smooth, easy and the results were simply great. After using it for my base coat, I apply my Dior Extase mascara and top off with a third coat of YSL's Volume Effet Faux Cils in Burgundy.

I am really happy with this mascara. It's pricey and that's the one big drawback for me. That's why I continue to use my L'Oreal Voluminous mascara for my base coat.

Mascara is such an intensely personal choice. It depends on the look you want. If you are going for a natural look, then this would not be for you. I am one who needs all the help I can get with my thin, light lashes. I want the most dramatic look possible and this mascara gives me that. Along with my other two mascaras, I get the look that I want.

If you want a great mascara at a drugstore price, then L'Oreal will do just as well. If you don't mind paying more for an even better result, then Better than Sex will do the job. It's a win-win situation for me.

I had really high hope for this mascara. It's a more wet kinda mascara and if makes my lashes clumpy even only after ONE coaf of it. It also flakes down from my lashes and the wand is so big that I hardly get to the root of my lashes.

on 8/3/2015 11:10:00 AM

I had high expectations for this mascara. I curl my lashes first, then apply the mascara. Being a very wet mascara, it ends up straightening my lashes. Other mascaras that I have tried at least leave some curl. This does not. It does thicken, and creates volume very well. It gives a false eyelash look. The good ends there. If I put more than one coat, I find that it flakes within the hour. By three hours later, the mascara wears off and ends up under my lower lashline.It wears terribly. I was shocked for a mascara at this price point. I have used many drugstore brands that do not do this and last much longer. Very disappointed in this mascara. It is over hyped. There are much better mascaras out there, even drugstore brands last longer.

on 8/3/2015 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My HG mascara! Like many women, I've been on the search for the miracle mascara; and about a year ago I found it!!
"Too faced better than sex": the claim is a bit of a stretch (!) but it's certainly very good! I love how you can layer the product 2/3/4 times and even the most sloppy of mascara appliers would avoid clumps! My lashes are a decent length, but being fair haired, my lashes are very light and pretty fine. This mascara does a great job at adding an intense black colour as well as thickening Although I don't necessarily require additional length; it certainly covers that base for me also. My only gripe is that this mascara doesn't last as long as some cheaper brands I've owned in the past (Rimmel lasted me a good 4-5 months, whereas this lasts me about 3 months before getting too dry), but for the effect, I don't mind this point.
I'm a contact lenses wearer too, and haven't had any issues with flaking or irritation.

on 8/1/2015 9:23:00 AM

I wanted to love this so much!! This applies really clumpy to my lashes, so much so that I need to have a spare mascara wand to tease through my lashes after so that they aren't all smushed together into one lash. It gives good length and makes the lashes really black. It's good if you want dramatic lashes, but it's high maintenance, and I'm sure there's better products on the market that does the same thing but better!

on 7/31/2015 4:24:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I had really high hopes for this mascara, but I was pretty disappointed by it. I received it as a gift in the Sephora lash collection, so it's a smaller tube, but I've been testing it out every now and then and trying to give it another go but it keeps falling short of my expectations.

This mascara flakes badly on me, and even after just applying it I always find small black flakes all over my cheeks from this mascara. They wipe away without problem, but it's just annoying, especially when my cheeks are already done.

I adore what this does for my lashes. It makes them long and look fluffy without clumping or looking spidery. I apply two or three coats depending on how I feel about my lashes that day. I curl my lashes with my Shu Uemura curler first, and the first coat I apply adds length and makes my lashes look black. The second coat, which I apply right after applying one coat on each eye, adds more volume and continues to length my lashes a bit. If I want extra drama, I just throw on a third coat and I'm good. If my lashes droop, which is highly likely considering my lashes are naturally straight, I just wait for it to dry pretty much completely and then curl them again, which always makes sure that the curl stays for at least an hour.

After a few hours, I always find black smudges all over my lower lashline, even when I don't use this on my lower lashes. The time it takes for the mascara to do this varies depending on what I do, but it will always smudge eventually. (i.e. if it's hot and I'm sweating, it'll take at most two hours, but if I'm not doing anything, then I could go three hours without smudges.)

All in all, I love what this does for my lashes, but I wish it had more lasting power and didn't flake or smudge (the flaking and smudging is what takes it from a 5 to a 3). I top it off with a waterproof mascara (Maybelline Volum Express Pumped Up Colossal mascara in the waterproof formula) to prevent too much flaking.

on 7/30/2015 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This mascara is too expensive to be average but, sadly, it's just average. I like how it looks with a bare eye better but that might just be me. It's just nothing special and not worth the price for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this product after several reviews and tutorials on YouTube. I bought this product at Ulta for about $32 or so. This mascara is (hands down) the best mascara I have ever used. It makes my lashes defined, lengthens them, and makes then look fuller overall. There's no clumps and it doesn't irritate my eyes like some mascaras do. This is a pricey mascara, but in the end, it works extremely well. It saves you from having to try to find the best mascara. In my opinion, this is one of the best products you could have in your make up bag. 10/10!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This mascara is so clumpy! The formula is way too wet for my liking. I was super disappointed because everybody on YouTube raves about this. It was clumpy, flaky, and doesn't hold a curl. The packing is way too heavy as well.

on 7/20/2015 12:48:00 PM

I love the way this mascara looks! Super long fluttery lashes. Amazing. But it doesn't last as long as my favorite benefit They're Real mascara. It smudges by the end of the day and doesn't hold a curl. Still a gorgeous mascara though.

Video Reviews & Tutorials