July 23, 2014 | 1840 users online

Mascara - Essence - I love extreme crazy volume

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by redgoose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love it. Gives you crazy huge lashes and it's only $5. It does dry out pretty quick ime and if you put on too many coats it will clump. But you shouldn't need more than 2 coats ime.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by debbrumb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

My favorite mascara!! Thick, tons of volume and separating. Dries quick on eyes (unlike the Jordana one) but product does dry quick in the tube. One tube lasts about a month for me but I have to buy online since my local Ulta never has it in stock. I tried the one in the black tube but it has a much bigger brush and not great for bottom lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by keiraellie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried so many mascaras, both high-end and drugstore. I've been hunting for a drugstore one that performs as well as Benefit's They're Real because as a college student I can't spend $25 on mascara every three months. Plus, mascara is that one makeup you need to buy often and I want something cheap.

This is my HG mascara. I like this Essence mascara better than Benefit's They're Real, Diorshow, Benefit's Badgal, Smashbox Full exposure, Too-faced Size Queen, Lancome Hypnos Drama, Maybelline Colossal, Maybelline One-by-one... Basically all mascaras bow down to this one.

Pros:
++Extremely cheap! At $4.99 it keeps my wallet happy. Drugstore mascaras are usually $8-10 so I'm really happy with this price. (You can buy this at Ulta or Walgreens)
++Gives crazy volume and thickness! I have sparse, thin, asian lashes that are hard to see without mascara. This is my HG mascara as it gives that dramatic lash look I like.
+Cute packaging. At first, I wasn't that impressed. But it's grown on me a lot! It has a sort of 80s feel to it.

Cons:
-Smudges a bit onto the bottom lash line. Not a big problem for me because most non-waterproof mascaras do this.
-No waterproof version
-The wand is large, but I don't mind it. I find application easy, although sometimes I do get mascara behind my eyes.

Note: If you want mascara that holds great curl, I do not know if this mascara is good or bad because my lashes hold curl fine naturally.

I highly recommend this! For $4.99, you aren't risking much. Try it!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by NK39

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have barely there sparse, short and limp lashes. I have been on the look out for a mascara that would actually add volume. Nothing worked for me, until this came along. The first time I used it I was clearly blown away. So much so, that for the first time in my life , I bought a back-up for a product :D The only down fall, it doesn't hold the curl up . Rest all good and for $4 you can't go wrong with it. It's my HG product.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by mxxlu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll start off by describing my lashes as: medium-length, straight, and downward-facing. Because of the latter two points, my lashes work best with waterproof/dry formulas, so it's a shame this mascara doesn't come in a waterproof version. I tried it anyway because this mascara has received so many positive reviews, and it is also very cheap to buy.

It holds true to its name, it really did give me amazing volume. It is a very black mascara (which I love), so it defined my lashes as it thickened them. However, it really weighed down my lashes as the formula was so wet for my already straight lashes. I always curl my lashes before applying mascara, and after applying this particular mascara, my lashes just fell straight.

The brush is humongous as many people have already mentioned. The opening also allows too much product to come out with the brush, so you have to wipe the brush at the tip to eliminate the amount you don't need. I didn't really find flaking, but it is really easy to remove!

Overall this mascara gives great volume, but no length or curl for me, whatsoever. Maybe if they had a waterproof version...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 8:14:00 AM More reviews by faune

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm conflicted about this, it gave my small straight asian lashes the thickest volume in one swipe. And it looked great when applied, after a couple hours however, it did tend to melt on me and give me raccoon eyes every so often but when cleaned up it still looked great. Like all decent volumising mascaras, it can get clumpy if your are overenthusiastic, so wipe excess product before applying.
I loved swiping my lashes into existence but I think I prefer a lower maintenance mascara. For the price however I find it amazing, it perfoms well and it's easy to remove.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

First of all I want to state that I'm sad this doesn't come in waterproof. Anything that isn't waterproof gets everywhere on me. Only waterproof mascaras stay.

Besides that fact I wasn't really "wowed" with this mascara. It doesn't do any sort of volume, length, thicken my lashes, give a curl.... nothing. I just couldn't like it for what it was. I even tried pairing it with other mascaras and that didn't do squat for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by barbiedolled

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Let me preface this by saying that I have very long, very curly lashes - I really wanted to love this mascara, but it just didn't work for me.

The wand is completely saturated in excess product, it ALWAYS picks up way too much. I tried to make this work by cleaning off the brush a bit before I applied it, but this product simply was a no go for me. The formula weighs down my lashes, I find the wand is unnecessarily too big, and it flakes on me throughout the day.

If you're dying to try this out, I'd say go for it - I picked it up for $4.99 at Ulta so it isn't much of a loss if it doesn't work out. My advice is to be a bit wary if you have similar lashes. There seem to be a lot of people who swear by this, but for me personally it just didn't work.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2014 10:09:00 AM More reviews by s0fieee

I really really wanted to like this, and at some point I do, but it is so so clumpy!!! it does indeed give you crazy volume, even at the point of "too much" which isn't good as they look super fake and not flattering, and if you put a bit too much than needed your eyelashes clump together so much that it looks like you only have 3-4 super fat eyelashes which looks bad. I think what causes that, is that the opening where the brush comes out is too big, so all the product stays on the brush. I will try the black one also, it may look a bit more natural, because I don't really like plastic brushes. they make your eyelashes also look 'plastic'.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Freebirdsoul

First off, I have very wimpy fine lashes.

I didn't expect to love this mascara. Most mascaras make my eyes burn, and make my lashes look spidery. Almost every mascara I have purchased (esp from the drugstore) has ended up being pitched, with a few exceptions (physicans forumula, clinique, dior, benefit).

That being said, I love the formula of this mascara. It gives me more volume and length than any mascara I have ever tried. I honestly have never been so been happy with my lashes. Usually on weekends or date nights I pop on some falsies, but I havent even bothered since using this mascara. (Not saying it looks AS good as falsies, but it makes me not want to bother with them as often). It also stays on my lashes all day and does not flake off.

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the brush, its larger than necessary.

I will add that this isnt the easiest mascara to remove. I use hemp oil/olive oil to remove my eye makeup which helps a lot with getting this mascara off at night.

Def. my HG mascara for sure!