Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.7

on 5/5/2015 2:55:00 AM

I received this in a swap in the shade Light, which I already knew from a previous sample pot from Clinique was my closest color match (typically I'm matched to light/mediums shades, but maybe this product line runs a shade darker than expected as their light/medium was a tad deeper than my skin tone, which is currently NC25). Contains SPF30 with a good list of hybrid physical-chemical active sunscreen ingredients.

I didn't love this product, but I didn't hate it either. The finish is dewy and given I have an oily T-zone, I always blot immediately after applying and then dust it with matte setting powder. The shine comes through in 4-5 hours but this is not intended for shine control, so no surprise there... blot, powder, carry on. The color, which applies semi-sheer, does actually last all day. When applying, I only do one side of my face at a time as this does dry down quickly and can cake (despite being sheer!) if I take too long to blend over. Smells like Play-doh too but that goes away after a short while.

The hardest thing for me to get past when it comes to this product is that it seems to stay sticky throughout the duration of wear. I do have combo-oily skin so this may have been due to my own skin type and the moisturizer I use prior (Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Moisturizer). The use of a matte powder helps greatly with the sticky finish, but when my oily T-zone starts to show, the product feels stickier again. It's not the best feeling especially for an already oily face. I have to admit though that this is not as sticky as the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream, which I disliked for the same one reason.

Great product aside from the sticky feeling as the SPF is good, the color matched well and evened out my skin tone without looking unnatural, lasted all day and for the most part did everything I would expect a CC cream to do. But this retails for $38 for 40ml. My favorite BB cream from Japan is $20 for 40ml, but feels much more comfortable and has higher SPF. On its own the Clinique CC is a great everyday product but I'd rather pay the lower price tag for an import product that feels even better and still looks good on my skin.

on 5/5/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have sensitive skin and Clinique moisturizers are usually safe, so I figured this would be, too...
PROS: the medium light color is a good match for me and I didn't run into blending problems, as other reviewers have mentioned.
CONS: HEAT RASH. By the time I got home from a day outside& at the gym, i had developed red bumps all over my cheeks. I'm overall more susceptible to it (long time eczema), but I haven't had it to this extent on my face in years. I should mention that I've exercised with a variety of other products on my face, and never gotten a rash. To be fair, I don't know if it was this specific product or all CC creams that are non-comedogenic, but now I know that it's something I may look for. I will probably not be using this again soon unless I'm going to be in a fairly cool environment, which defeats the purpose of it being SPF 30.

on 4/29/2015 5:42:00 AM

This cream can't be blend. what a shame despite a very good ingredients listed. It has a poor coverage and basically does nothing to your face rather than being a tacky sunscreen. Clinique once again has to consider changing its name, it doesnt do color correcting hence named cc cream, well to sum up it basically just an overprice sunscreen with zero coverage.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got a generous sample of this, probably in a gift w purchase. As others have said, it is SO HARD to blend into your skin. I use a flat-head stipiling foundation brush and really try to buff it into my skin, but it seems like by buffing out one area of your face, you're really just pushing the product into smears surrounding that area.

Most of all, I can't believe this is part of their Moisture Surge line, when everytime I wear it my skin looks horribly flaky. Sure, I suffer from some dry skin now and then, but that's why I like to wear a BB (or CC, though this is my first one) cream: to moisturize while getting some coverage. But while this is supposedly designed for dry skin, it highlights every dry patch of skin on my face. Not only does it highlight all of the gross dry skin on my face, it still looks waxy and requires a setting powder.

The only good thing is that the color seems to match my skintone fairly well. But even then, I'm not sure where the CC- color correction- comes into play. It doesn't seem to neutralize any redness on my face. If anything, my faces is MORE red due to irritation from trying to blend it so aggressively!

on 4/18/2015 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've had this for a year now. I don't use it regularly cuz I can't make it work. I take it out of my makeup drawer regularly tho to see if it's my skin that is the problem. My skin changes with the weather. But now it's pretty normal and not dry like in the winter. I tried again today and just don't like it. I hav it in light. I think it looks too orange. It is too thick even wen I warm it up. It doesn't spread making it uneven. It's not moisturising at all like it says it is. If anything it makes my skin dry and flaky. I like the sunblock in it. I like TheBalm tinted moisturiser much better and will stick to that.

on 4/3/2015 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Returned to Sephora.

Does NOT blend. Once placed on the skin, you have 2.3 miliseconds to blend. This is after I put on serum and overnight cream to try and give it something to move over. My skin is NOT dry.

The other weird thing was the color. It looked good when I was inside. My husband said that it looked great. Then we went outside and it changed. He asked if I started using bronzer. Went back inside, back to nice. Weird

It was an ok shiny/luminous texture. but, again, could not blend any makeup on top.

on 4/1/2015 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I so wanted this to be better than it was. The texture was a tad too thick and not as hydrating as I was expecting.
The colour range was good and I liked the fact it contains an spf too. A little does go a long way .
I'm glad I tried it but I won't be repurchasing it.

on 3/29/2015 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

I have this product in the shade medium and I think its alright. I have dark Indian skin and it works quite well but I find the price a bit much for the product. But it does last for a long time. I've had mine for a good 5 months and it's still not empty.

The packaging is nice and simple nothing to fancy. Also it does not appear thick on your skin and gives a natural glow. It IS a bit too dewy for me so I just use some matte powder.
It does require a good amount of blending though or it looks whitish.

on 2/28/2015 10:18:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Received this product in a gift pack. I have had zero luck with BB and CC creams as I am fair, combo skin type with mild rosacea. I LOVE this product!! Great for winter months when I have dry patches. Very natural-looking.

on 2/20/2015 8:05:00 PM

I bought this CC cream on an impulse :(. I don't know where to start, but i don't fInd any PROS, so let's talk about the CONS:
BLENDABILITY: First I applied it in all the ways possible (fingers,brush,beauty blender) and the result is the same: Hard to blend.
COLOR: The color Light Medium is horrible! it doesn't match my skintone, this cc cream looks way too dark and unnatural on my NC25, it seems that this have a lot of pink pigments on it which makes me look like i'm wearing a mask lol.
TEXTURE: Awful! it feels very greasy and thick, I prefer CC creams that have a light texture, this foundation doesn't work for me at all! I don't recommend this to anyone...

Also, I forgot to mention that this CC cream smells like rotten eggs.