October 23, 2014 | 1926 users online

Eye Primer - Milani - Eye Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2014 11:58:00 AM More reviews by powerpoptart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Oh my god. THIS IS MY HOLY GRAIL PRODUCT! I have extremely oily lids and even Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden (which was supposed to be for oily lids as mentioned by the MUA) can't save my oily lids. UDPP in Eden creases like mad on my oily lids and it makes my eyeshadow dull and murky. Smudges my waterproof eyeliner as well because waterproof eyeliner is resistant to water but not oil I guess (I live in a hot and humid climate). I was so disappointed and disheartened at the result because it took me a long time before I decided to bite the bullet and just purchase it as it is quite costly in the country that I live in. And to see that it does not work on me no matter how many times I try to change the way I apply it is really a big heartache. Still creases like mad.

And then here comes MILANI Eyeshadow Primer. Heard some good reviews on it and I hesitated for awhile before purchasing it due to the bad experience with UDPP. I thought if UDPP can't save my oily lids, nothing else can. I gave it a long thought before I came to the decision that I just need to try all kinds of eye primers in the hope to find one that may work for me.

So initially, I tried the ELF eyelid primer. I actually like it. It works better than UDPP as it does not cause creases, however, the staying power does not last long and a few hours (2-3 hours) later, my waterproof eyeliner runs at the side of my eyelid due to my oily lids. And I didn't really like the doe-foot applicator either, it makes it so hard to get the actual product and as a result, the product finishes rather quickly. Thank god they are so cheap though but I just wasn't satisfied with the ELF and wanted to find something better. So, I finally decided to try the MILANI Eyeshadow Primer as I heard really good reviews of it albeit being skeptical (thanks to UDPP! Pffts). But since it is cheaper compared to UDPP (slightly pricier than ELF's though) I thought "Oh heck, why the heck not?!". AND OH MY GOD, BEST DECISION EVER! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.

It comes in a squeeze tube which makes it so easy to get just the right amount that is needed for my eyelids. Only need very little of it for the whole lid! The product also has a little bit of tint to it (though it becomes sheer once applied on the eyelid) so when it is applied to the eyelid, it actually makes my eyelids looks nicer as it evens out the skin. Waited for about 1 minute or so for it to dry before applying my eye makeup. AND GOODNESS, IT DOES NOT CAUSE ANY CREASES AND MY EYESHADOW, LIQUID EYELINER AND ALL MY EYE MAKEUP DID NOT BUDGE AT ALL. HOLY MOLY! AND IT LAST VERY LONG AS WELL. I CAN WEAR IT FOR ABOUT 12 - 15 HOURS (that's the longest I've ever wore it out for) AND MY EYE MAKEUP STILL STAYS PUT WITH NO CREASING OR SMUDGES AT ALL. AND THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WITH EXTREMELY OILY LIDS.

BEST EYE PRIMER EVER FOR MY OILY LIDS.

Oh MILANI, thank you for this remarkable product (and you make nice baked blushes too but that's another story for another time). Please do not ever discontinue this product! I highly recommend this for people with extremely oily lids and I'm so glad that my eyelids love this product more than the UDPP. At least my pocket won't feel the pinch when I repurchase this product again and again. For its cheap price, I really do not mind buying this over and over again. (:

Do try this product out if you want to opt for something that is cheaper but works great and I do hope that this product will work it magic on every else who tries it too. (:

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Great DS primer without a doubt! I really like the formulation and how it brightens shadows and prevents creasing. I have used almost every primer and this and UDPP in anti aging are my fav's. I do think UD's lasts longer but Milani's works very well at brightening my e/s. I like the formula it spreads on easy and sets very well. I got about 6 hours before I saw some creasing mind you I have oily lids so i think it would last longer on those without this issue. For me it's a good solid primer that I will use and repurchase I like this one a lot especially for travel because if you lose it you don't have to worry how much $ you lost unlike UD's which, is pricey.

I am very impressed with the Milani line and have been purchasing their products for quite a while. These are just as good as some HE products imo and I like that they are cruelty free. They keep getting better as well and this primer is proof of it. Very happy with this and those with lids more on the dry side I think would love this. This primer is excellent and I really like it. Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I started using this thanks to a recommendation here on MUA when I asked makeup board for recs for my super oily eyelids. None of the following worked for me in terms of preventing creasing (my major problem): UDPP (this stopped working after using it for years without problems), TFSI, paint pots, MAC paint, Lorac, Benefit Stay don't Stray as well as numerous drugstore bases and primers (elf, color tattoo, Nyx etc....) - I even started mixing a bit of milk of magnesium with various primers to try and curb the problem with some success but there was still creasing at the end of my workday. This works amazingly well at preventing creasing, even if I put a base on top of it, no creasing whatsoever. I've had long days where I put my makeup on at 6:00AM, gym after work and when I look in the mirror at 9PM, my shadow has not budged and there is NO CREASING, everything else look like crap but my eyeshadow is still perfect. I can honestly say that this is a miracle product for me and I have replaced all my primers with this little gem and it's only $8 CDN

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by southeast92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I Have this Milani eye primer and i swear on my child's name this is awesome! It kept my shadows in place and after 8 hours of wear NO CREASING! Lady's try it out what do you got to loose really and for the price its great! But beware you might get hooked! I love my hoilygrail! 💕

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 3:14:00 PM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my HG primer. For years I never used primer. Is this a new thing, because I merely suffered with creasing, migrating shades, muddy colors, and excessive fading until my thirties. All throughout my teens and twenties we didn't have primer. If there was such a thing, we'd never heard of it. My first exposure was when I was looking into the UD Book of Shadows and it came with a sample of Primer Potion. I was like, "pfffft who needs primer?"

Well, my sister started raving about eyeshadow primer and how it made your colors super pigmented and how it kept everything from creasing and fading. For Christmas she gave me a tube of the E.L.F. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer and I was hooked. When my E.L.F. primer started to dry up I wanted to find something to replace it with. Not content to spend $20+ on eyeshadow primer, I searched the drugstore. Most cosmetic brands have their own version of a primer, but CVS had Milani BOGO 50% off, so I snagged a tube of their primer.

The first time I swatched it I was highly underwhelmed. It looked yellow, it applied thick and goopy, it didn't dry well, it was super sticky. I was about ready to throw it in the trash, but fortunately I didn't. Instead, I tried it again the next day, only this time I massaged the tube prior to using the product. Eureka! The ingredients had separated from sitting in the store and it just needed a little mixing back together. After that it worked much better. It applied sort of yellowish, but dries invisible. It doesn't settle in the creases or lines in the lid skin. And eyeshadow applies nicely.

I did a test on the back of my hand. I tried three different brands of eyeshadow, different brushes, and then used E.L.F. on one side of my hand and Milani on the other. Not only were the shades noticeably more pigmented when applied over the Milani, but when I did the rub-off test, the Milani shades stayed put, while the ones applied over the E.L.F. eyeshadow primer almost completely wiped away. I was super impressed after my little experiment and decided to buy an extra tube, just in case I ran out. My CVS is almost always sold out of this primer. It's that good!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by LindsayRoseEliz

This is, hands down, the best eye shadow primer that I have ever used--drugstore or high end. It even beats out Palladio's Herbal Eye Shadow Primer, which used to be my favorite.

The consistency is a lot like Too Faced Shadow Insurance. The product is a slight tan color, but it blends out colorless on my fair skin. The directions say to let it sit for 30 seconds before applying shadow, which allows the product to set and dry a little. While I don't notice it enhancing the color of eye shadow, it definitely enhances staying power. On my oily lids, powder shadows last 8-10 hours before they start creasing, 6-7 with cream shadows.

My only gripe is the cap. It's one of those caps that you can keep turning and it never really tightens all the way--if you turn it too much, it loosens up again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by DoraZ

This has been one of the best MU purchases I've made in quite a while! I've been looking for more drugstore options since HE makeup has gotten so terribly expensive and I'm glad I bought this little gem of a product because it works really well. I paid around $7 for this at K-Mart, the tube is 0.30 oz and I think you get a lot of product for the price. As far as the actualy product itself, my experience has been nothing but positive. I have combination skin so my T-Zone (which includes my eyelids) can get pretty oily and this keeps my eyeshadow where I put it. I've been really surprised that I've gotten home after long 10+ hour days and my eyeshadow hasn't creased, smudged or worn off! I apply it with my fingers and wait for 30 seconds to a minute for it to set, it seems to blend really well and so far hasn't gotten dry or tacky. At such a bargain I highly recommend Milani's Eye Primer!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by curlyhairchick369

hey you. yeah you. you know who you are. your eyeshadow is constantly creasing, and you want your eyeshadow to stay longer and look more vibrant, but the high price tags on the popular primers like urban decay primer potion, or the benefit or the nars versions are turning you off. "should i really pay $21 for something that won't even be seen on my eyes?" , you think to yourself. the answer is no. look no further, because this product is everything youve been wanting and more. this product is amazing. it comes on your lids just tacky enough for eyeshadow to stick, but if you wear the primer without shadow you'll notice it turns completely matte and almost dry even on your lids (in a good way). this will be amazing for those oily lidded gals. needless to say, this does not crease, or fade, or smudge. did i mention it also provides amazing coverage for my red, veiny, disgusting eyelids? this primer is everything you want, for a fraction of the costs of other, more hyped primers at sephora. GO GET YOU SOME

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2014 8:11:00 AM More reviews by chatterboxlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this primer because of the high ratings here on MUA. For reference I have seriously oily lids. Also, I live in a tropical country so that's another factor to consider when judging the longevity and efficacy of a product. I use UDPP and Etude House Proof10 primer (Korean brand) to make my eyeshadows stay. For review purposes, my comparison will be versus the UDPP since Proof10 isn't widely available.

This primer is more spreadable vs UDPP. UDPP dries fast. Too fast that when you don't spread it immediately, it can be patchy. Milani gives you a few seconds to spread the product and according to instructions, another 30 seconds to let the product set before applying shadows. It does make my shadows vibrant but does not stick around as much as when I use UDPP. At best, my shadows stay flawless for over 4 hours before signs of fading are seen. With UDPP, the same shadows last for over 8 hours before it starts to fade and crease. I would still use this for my under eye since it's spreadable. It could help my corrector/ concealer stay in place. I will try layering this with my usual primers to see they work better together.

Overall, UDPP still ranks first, with Etude Proof 10 as a very close runner up (can pass as a UDPP dupe actually). I would recommend the Milani primer to those with dry to normal lids.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 6:31:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow! I picked this up on a whim after I had finished up a tube of my usual primer ( TFSI). I wasn't expecting much and was only planning to use this until my next trip to Sephora, but after using this a few times I think this might be my new primer of choice! It keeps my makeup looking fresh for just as long (13+ hours for powder eye shadow, about 10-11 for eye liner) as UDPP and TFSI, but at a third of the price. I wouldn't call it a dupe for either product as the consistency is different (Milani's is thinner/less creamy than the other two and is less tinted), but it does the same job and does it just as well. I haven't tried it yet with a sheer or powdery shadow to see if it's as good at enhancing sub-par quality shadows as a high end primer, but just in terms of meeting my every day eye makeup needs this primer is a steal for the price. I'd highly recommend it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No