NYX Butter Gloss

4.5

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diisostearyl Malate, Beeswax, Ceresin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Polyethylene, Sorbitan, Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragran May contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), D&C Red 6 Na Salt (CI 15850), D&C Red 7 Ca Lake (CI 15850), D&C Red 28 Al Lake (CI 45410), FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake (CI 15985:1), FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake (CI 19140:1).

on 7/18/2015 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I put off buying these for a while because I thought they were just a regular and standard lip gloss that wasn't worth the hype, in my opinion. BUT I WAS WRONG. These are amazing! When I finally did give in and purchased these, little did I know it was the best decision I ever made. They don't really feel like a standard lip gloss, they're not sticky and messy and globby on the lips which I love. They give shine to your lips just as a gloss does, but you don't have that tacky feeling which prevents you from talking with globs of gloss sticking your lips together.
I have the shades Creme Brle, Vanilla Cream Pie and Tiramasu (my personal favourite). They're all nude shades, except Vanilla Cream Pie is more of a pinky-nude colour on the lips. They smell BEAUTIFUL, they smell like a sweet vanilla cream or something. It's not over powering or perfumey and it's also not TOO sickly sweet as some products can smell like. It smells like a bake shop, too. Like you could almost eat the product out of the tube, it's so good.
The only issue I had was the price. I also had only bought these because they happened to be on sale at my local Rexall drugstore for $7.99 CDN, and the regular price is $9.99...PER TUBE. For a little thing like that, I wasn't going to pay $10...if I paid full price for 3, it would've been $30, and that's not acceptable for drugstore products in my opinion. But NYX is a good brand and they're cruelty free so I like them a lot.
OVERALL: Wear nicely, last a long time, smell divine, good colour selection, packaging is nice (the colour you see on the tube is the colour you get), can be pricey.
I will definitely repurchase in the future, as I do have my eye set on the shade Angel Food Cake.

on 7/14/2015 4:09:00 AM

I'm not a huge gloss fan but I really love these. They have a soft non-sticky formula that's more like a lip balm than a gloss. I have the colors Tiramisu and Angel Food Cake which are both natural and pretty looking on NC20 Skin.

on 7/12/2015 7:12:00 PM

I bought this is two shades at Ulta, Vanilla Cream Pie and Apple Strudel. (the bogo 50% off deal.) Honestly, it's just alright. It doesn't deserve all of the "omg best lip gloss ever!!!111!!" hype. But that doesn't mean I don't like them. It's a moisturizing lip gloss and it smells like cake. The colors are pretty sheer but they're enough to add a sheer tint to your lips. Vanilla Cream Pie is a mauvy pink, which is gorgeous, and Apple Strudel is a peachy color. I like them, but I'm not blown away by them. They do moisturize your lips, and they do add a pretty tint to them, but that's about it. The color selection is also quite nice. But all in all it's just a lip gloss and nothing special to them.

Overall, I enjoyed them, but not as much as I thought I would. The provide moisture, and some tint to your lips, but they are just a basic lip gloss. Nothing special.

on 7/4/2015 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Why does this have such good reviews? This stuff is terrible. Regardless of the shade you buy, they all come out like a very faint gloss. The color on the display unit is deceiving as they HAVE NO PIGMENT at all! Absolutely none!!! The only good thing is that they smell great and non sticky. Otherwise, These are a waste of time. Now the intense butter lip glosses that came out are so much better but they need more shades for WOC.

do yourself a favor save your 3 or 4 bucks.

on 6/26/2015 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am not a gloss fan. At all. I own very few. I really like these though. They're comfortable and don't settle or travel. I own three- Tiramisu, Creme Brûlée, and Devils Food Cake. I'm not super crazy about Devils Food Cake because it's a bit patchy. The only con I can really think of is lasting power but what can you expect with a gloss?

on 6/22/2015 9:50:00 PM

The hype got me.

In Australia, NYX products can be found at Target. These were $10 each (as KathleenLights would say, dasssss espensiveeee) but curiousity got the best of me. Initially I wanted to purchase Creme Brle but it was out of stock so I opted for clair and Tiramisu. They're beautiful natural colours! Variations of nudes or my lips but better. These made me lips look lively with a sheer (note these are sheer, not lipstick like glosses) - some sheen, little juicier. But they're nothing to rave like crazy about? I think butter glosses are essentially glosses with lipbalm added to them. Therefore to create the same texture in my lips, I add Lucas Paw Paw Ointment to any sticky lipgloss.

In order from lightest to darkest:
Creme Brle: Everyday nude shade on pale NC20 skin.
clair: Soft sheer neutral baby-pink. Same lightness as Creme Brle exept this is pink and CB is more brown.
Tiramisu: Darker version of Creme Brle. This would be the nude equivalent for someone who is roughly NC30+. On my NC20 complexion it is what I call a medium rosey nude with a hint of peach-brown. If you don't like being washed out by "pale nudes" - this one's for you!
Angel Food Cake: Yeah the names are killing my life also, please bare with me. This is a deep mauvy brown pink. This shade is b e a u t i f u l and doesn't get a lot of love online because it is a new colour to their line :)

These glosses smell like vanilla chocolate chip cookies. The smell fades after application.

In America these are cheaper than $10 and they work well as glosses. I give them three stars because they do not blow my socks off. Packaging hosts the 8ml of product fine. No clumping around lid rim. Nice and compact at 9cm (yes I measured them for this review). Very work appropriate, I have them lying around the office discreetly in my tin of pens, draw, tuck them in my skirt to reapply after lunch!

Con: They contain beewax. If you're allergic to that. Give these a pass. :)

I got the gloss in "Tiramisu" which is the perfect nude color! However, I'm not a huge lipgloss fan and it seemed a bit heavy to me. To see a better review, view my blog post here: http://foolslovegold.blogspot.com/2015/06/hello-and-welcome-to-my-first-haul-i.html

on 6/20/2015 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I love this stuff.

It's got good pigmentation, while still retaining the sheerness of a gloss. It's not sticky, it applies evenly, lasts really well. I can't speak highly enough of it. I genuinely don't have anything bad to say about it. I own it in Raspberry Tart, and it's a great shade of purple. Nothing super-dramatic, but a nice pop of color.

10/10, do recommend.

on 6/16/2015 10:20:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Why does this have good reviews? I feel so duped. Thankfully, it was cheap.

First, I had to buy this and judge the colour off the colour of an opaque plastic tube. I hate that because I have found that the tube rarely matches the product. Argh.

I bought this in Red Velvet, which turned out to be quite brighter than the tube (so shocked--not). It's like you've been eating tons of strawberries. A bright, kinda neutral red. The colour is fine. Other than the misrepresentation (my goal was a darker red, like the tube is), it's fine.

The formula has found an apt name in "butter gloss." Slick, soft, feels moisturizing. Feels pretty great.

So what's the downside? Everything else. It feathers like an effing beast, it transfers like an effing beast, and even if you don't eat/drink/smoke/make out/fall on your face, it will end up disappearing from your face into a parallel dimension within 15 minutes. Oddly, it will not disappear from where it's feathered outside your lips. NOPE, that stays.

I can hear you now. "But what about lipliner?" F**k lipliner, says the butter gloss. It's so slick and slippery that it will travel off your lips and take the lipliner with it. Together they will go, hand in hand, to wherever it is this lip gloss disappears to.

Also, it's too shiny. Weird complaint, right? Well, it is. It looks like a cheap dollar store gloss, too shiny and goopy and streaky. When it feathers outside your mouth, that will be super shiny, too. If your lips are crooked, the mega shine will show that off. May as well put a neon blinking arrow sign pointing to your misshapen, shiny mouth.

Maybe this is all a non-issue if you use it in a neutral colour, however, the big selling point with this is that it comes in over 9,000 bright colours...aaaand they're useless.

on 6/13/2015 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

The glosses are fabulous if you are looking for a colored gloss (as opposed to a shiny topper). They are opaque to semi opaque, not sticky, moderately shiny. Smell pretty nice too. I've owned a ton of colors but my favorites are creme brule, tiramisu, and apple strudel. I do feel they are lacking a good every day medium toned pink the line (like Beige in the mega shine line). But I just can't say enough good things about these glosses. If you are thinking of trying the gerard cosmetics ones, get these instead.

Video Reviews & Tutorials