NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

4.4

synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, glycerin, squalane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, polysorbate 80, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, carrageenan, xanthan gum, 1,2-hexanediol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, maris aqua (sea water), ascophyllum nodosum (ascophyllum nodosum extract), magnesium silicate, tocopheryl acetate, phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, tin oxide, mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 (iron oxides)

I absolutely love this. It makes your skin look perfected and blurred. I mainly use this is winter when I don't need any mattifying but do need somewhat of a glow. Beware that this isn't going to control oil, if you try to pile it on it will get cakey and obvious-looking. For reference I have dry, sensitive skin with some redness and slight pore issues.

on 4/29/2015 12:40:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Oh wow... This powder is so good. I have dry combo with slight oily Tzone. Powders usually make me look 100 yrs old. This powder however is so finely milled and have some magic properties that blurrs out my pores and did not age me. I applied this as a setting powder all over and touch up my Tzone if there's oil. LOVE. I love it so much that I have several back ups just in case NARS discontinue it. Don't you dare NARS !!! Lol

on 4/26/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

WOW I forgot how oily my face gets!! I haven't hit pan yet as people have claimed, I'm using a brush to apply it. Two "dabs" with a face brush for T-zone, three "dabs" for my entire face. It has been 6 months and I am not seeing any signs of pan-hitting.

SO YAY! For $42CAD it's paid off completely, because I look amazing with this.

After liquid foundation, the NARS setting powder completes my look 500% from B+ to A++. I have no clue wtf I just wrote. Anyways it makes my liquid foundation less shiny, but it adds a teenie natural glow to my entire face. It doesn't mattify my face and originally I was bummed about that. My face gets very oily throughout the day and it really sucks. However the NARS setting powder makes my face look NATURAL (it isn't 100% matte because people can never be 100% matte!)

AH! I can't explain it, it's reeeally magical. I love it I love it, I cannot live without it!! (adds another 1 minute to my already-intense makeup routine)

However as people have also claimed, it doesn't keep your makeup. Nope. It completes and sets my liquid foundation, but I keep my makeup all day long with the Urban Decay Chill Makeup Setting Spray. The NARS setting powder keeps its magic even after the spray. Please NARS, don't disappear.

on 4/23/2015 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Quick overview: I have parched, dry skin with a very uneven texture. I never use powders on my skin because they show up instantly, no matter how fine. Lately, however, I've been having trouble getting my foundation to last the day, hence the interest in a pressed powder that promises luminescence.

This does deliver in that it is undetectable on the skin (in fact I prefer the feel of my skin with this on - it makes it very silky and even, erases the texture, almost). It has no 'glitter' or sparkle, however it does leave a highlighty sheen that is quite flattering and works to give my face a healthy bit of dimension.

Only downside - does nothing to help my makeup last. Which is a shame. I do only use the tiniest amount so maybe I'll play with it more and see if it gets better.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Since I've finally caved and bought this powder I am using only this now. It is a game changer people.

It has a plastic protector and came in a lovely black pouch with a separate pocket for an applicator (on the go I am using a mini Clinique brush that came their bronzing powder - I would not use this brush with a bronzing powder in a million years but for touch ups with NARS it is perfect and I can wash it, unlike NARS's included 'sponge') and I can carry it in my handbag after I use it in the morning to set my makeup for the day in place with a big MAC powder brush.

The result on the skin is quite difficult to describe - it is not glow but it is not a flat matte either, pretty cool when you are in your mid 30s and want to look not made up but a better version of yourself (which will always look fresher AND younger). On a good skin day I was wearing it on its own with just a touch of concealer. As it wears off or rather the oils form your skin come through it looks very natural, not makeup and keeps the unflattering shine at bay.

I have not tried the Hourglass light reflecting powders yet but there was quite a lot of fall out on application when I stuck my finger in one of these in Space NK - nothing of that sort in NARS's case. When you opening the powder for the first time it looks like you've bought a solid piece of plastic, like these mock up powders for children. I had to rub my flat powder foundation brush from Clinique (which I also love to use with this product) quite hard on the surface at first but it was visible that the powder got transferred onto the brush but there was no fall out AT ALL. With an Hourglass powder I would have been probably standing in a cloud of dust!

Price wise it was not as expensive as many other powders that I looked at first and it does not have any nasties in the ingredients list like isopropyls or mirystinians (hello Laura Mercier) that always give me massive cystic pimples so I avoid these like a plague in any of my makeup or skincare products.

I love the packaging (a huge mirror is perfect for travelling) and that it does not seem to be too fragile (a salesgirl at Space NK dropped it on the floor accidentally and it still did not shatter - however just in case I've asked for a new box, of course.) - I am carrying mine ever day in my handbag now and it seems to be all right.

I would not purchase it if you are after a total matte look - imho this is very unflattering and ageing so maybe a slight glow that this product leaves on the skin (you can see small reflective particles in a harsh sunlight and when you are an inch from the surface of your skin but it is nothing scary in a normal everyday use) is good when you are dry as a sand dune in your late 30s but is unwanted when you are a grease ball in your early 20s.

on 4/6/2015 5:46:00 AM

This is a very overrated powder.
Firstly, you dont get much of the product for what you paid for. I got mine 2 months ago and I hit the pan! Bear in mind that i only use this in the morning to set my makeup, i do not use it during the day.
When i bought this, sales person said that it gives you air brushed look, but sorry it doesnt give you that look at all.
It is just a basic powder. It can look cakey on your nose area if you have pores.
Also, it does not last well. I put this to set my makeup at 7 in the morning and i need to retouch at 10ish because i start to shine.
The only good thing with this powder is that you will not look cakey if you keep refreshing your makeup.
Apart from that, it is not worth the money.

on 3/27/2015 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I don't experience the same amazing results as the rest and I don't really understand the hype. This doesn't make any difference what so ever. It doesn't set my makeup, my foundation still feels sticky no matter how much powder I put on, if anything it actually makes my foundation look cakier. No use for it as a highlighter, as it doesn't show up at all. It's 100% colorless and feels slippery and silky when you rub your finger in the pan, and your finger looks shiny but not shimmery.

on 3/23/2015 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I got this powder in a goodie bag from an event at Sephora. I have thought about buying it but I have always stopped myself beacuase of the price. It's a little too expensive and that's why I wouldn't buy it again. With that out of the way, let's get to the review!

This powder has a stark white sparkly pearlescent look, which can scare you. Especially the sparkle, most people wouldn't want to walk around looking like a disco ball. But don't be scared this goes on completely transluscent and smoothes out pores (I have very visible pores around my nods and on my cheeks). It is more smoothing than any primer I have tried. I ahve an oily t-zone and this powder keeps me matte for a long time (not all day but no powder does). The sponge that comes with the powder is not very useful, it's very thin and hard. Use a brush. I think this will last me a long time since it's sooo compact. I really like this! Perfect packaging for travelling.

on 3/13/2015 1:16:00 PM

Best pressed powder ever. Although it is on the more pricey side it will last you forever. It appears to blur our everything and gives you an excellent finish. If you're thinking whether you should buy this or not - buy it. You won't regret it. And the packaging. Oh I love the packaging. Black matte compact. Beautiful.

on 2/24/2015 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Best pressed powder I've come across to date. I have both the loose and pressed version and they both perform well. Truly translucent, I use this to touch up when there's a bit of shine on my T-zone and the result is always a nice, matte finished in a diffused glow sort of way. Am I making sense? My normal to dry skin never feels cakey or tight, just comfortable. You only need a light dusting and if you only use it for touchups or travelling, this product lasts ages. It comes in a nice black pouch with a band (great to prevent any accidents in your purse) and a sponge but I prefer using a portable brush to apply (currently using Ecotools retractable kabuki) on the go.

NARS products are always on the slightly pricier side but I always find them value for money especially in terms of quality and cost per use.

Video Reviews & Tutorials