August 29, 2014 | 1883 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2014 5:12:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have no idea why this product works for me, but it does. I use a big fluffy brush (MAC 150, don't adore it but it is okay) to set my make-up with and I look flawless, poreless and glowy. Right now I am about an NW25 and it blends right in. No breakouts (however I am not breakout prone). I can put this over a BB Cream and I look amazing. Buttery texture, no glitter, no OTT shimmer. High price tag, but is now a staple for me. Again I have no clue why this works but it does. Will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 8:48:00 PM More reviews by samanthasundloff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh how I drooled over this... I finally bought it and WOW! Worth every penny. I wish I didn't wait so long to buy it.

I was searching for a powder to put over foundation to make my skin look 'perfect' and this is it!! I use it as a setting powder for under eyes and all over. Gives my skin the most perfect look and just a slight glow. LOVE IT!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by cbeduke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, folks. This is the ONLY ridiculously expensive product I would buy over and over again. It's worth the $45 price tag. It's a HG product, for sure. I recently went to a college reunion and my skin was definitely not at its best: hormonal acne galore, particularly on my chin (really deep large raised cysts) - and of course, I got my period as soon as the reunion started, lucky me, so things got worse during the 3-day event. I used the Dim Light (I am NC30) as a setting powder and just freshened up my makeup a couple of times a day. In every single picture friends have posted on FB my skin looks AWESOME and clear. You seriously cannot tell that I was having one of the worst acne breakouts of my adult life. GET THIS PRODUCT.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by nataliad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the Ambient Lighting palette (Dim, Incandescent, Radiant), as well as the Diffused Light powder. Out of them all, I'd say I love DIM lighting the best. It is a very fine-milled beige powder with the teeeeeeeniest hint of shimmer (undetectable unless you are cms away) and it really does have a "blurring" effect on skin. It also adds a subtle hint of radiance to my NC40 skin. This effect is not so much visible in person, but you will notice in photography (especially under direct sunlight or indoors under fluorescent lighting).

I use an ELF Studio Complexion brush and dust this lightly over my cheeks, forehead and chin (not nose - very oily) after all my makeup is done. It does not control oil or anything.

I paid quite a bit (NZD$80+) to get this palette, so for that price alone it is not really worth it. However, if I were to get it at the actual USD price equivalent, Dim lighting would be the only powder I would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by Lyrics

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this product in Dim Light and Radiant Light. I first bought the Radiant light based on reviews I read and loved it, it is quite sparkly. I tried Dim Light in the store after a long day at work (so my makeup wasn't looking that great anymore) and was astonished by the transformation. My friend was with me at the time and she too was as surprised as I was (so this is not a subjective opinion). My face had the soft focus that has been mentioned, but it also looked just fresh and - really nice. I can't explain it. I bought it instantly and have been using it daily since. I have to note here that my friend tried it too and it made her look ashy. For reference, I'm a MAC NW45 and my friend is slightly darker. However the difference is that I have warm undertones and my friend has cool undertones. I once read somewhere that Dim Light suits people with warmer undertones better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by maisonsteffi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have a face full of acne scarring so I need every bit of help in blurring them out. This product does the trick with the help of my Smashbox primer. I use this almost like a setting powder after my Koh Gen Do pressed powder to make my skin look like skin but better, if that makes any sense. The amazing thing about this powder is how it is so undetectable to the eye when worn on the skin but it gives it a luminous and flawless quality that is impossible to ignore. Colleagues I see everyday comment on how beautiful my skin is whenever I'm wearing this on my face, which means an awful lot as I have one of the most flawed and scarred skins from acne. They can't tell what I've done or put on my face! It doesn't get rid of all my pock marks and acne scars but it diffuses all my imperfections. I will definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Chickeys

Believe it, ladies (and gents): this product lives up to its monumental hype! I purchased this at Sephora about a month ago, and geez...I wear this every single day that I put makeup on (which is 5-6 times a week). Using my beloved ELF powder brush (srsly, the best drugstore brush!), I dust the Hourglass powder over the top of my everyday face makeup (TM plus concealer), and it really just airbrushes the imperfections away. It's crazy how much nicer my skin looks with the Hourglass powder. Often when I'm being lazy and having a good skin day, I use the Hourglass powder over concealer only--it's that nice. Dim Light I would think is a fairly universal shade (unless you are super-yellow)--my skin is neutral pink/yellow and pretty light, and Dim Light looks great. I'm not a huge fan of the brown plastic packaging, and the box actually says to be careful with the product because it's fragile...so of course, I'm beyond terrified of dropping it. I would definitely, definitely repurchase this if I ever run out--you only need a small amount of this fine powder to see the effect. Well worth the price tag, and an instant staple in my makeup routine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2014 2:56:00 PM More reviews by LindseyAnne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

So this product is great. I was late to jump on the bandwagon because 1) I'm not a huge powder person as it is and 2) this stuff sure isn't cheap. But I have heard that this stuff is a miracle product and just blurs imperfections on the skin. Obviously I was skepticial but also equally curious. So when Sephora had their VIB sale I caved and bought it. Like I said I'm not a fan of powder products because no matter how natural they claim to be, they just tend to look too heavy and cakey on me. So I was beyond shocked when just a very light dusting with a fluffy powder brush literally made my skin nearly flawless. I was amazed. It feels like nothing on and more importantly LOOKS like nothing on and still manages to give that dim lighting bluring effect just as it claims. This is one of the very few products I've purchased in my life that live sup to the hype. I'm very impressed with it. It also hasn't broken me out in the few weeks I've been using it and I love it just as much as I did when I first tried it. My only complaints with this are very minor: it does have a slightly pink tone to it that might not necessarily work with all skin tones, and the packaging looks cute, but it feels a little cheap. For the price, I'd rather the packing be a little more luxurious. But overall an amazing product and I sure hope it lasts a while!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2014 8:17:00 PM More reviews by ekatt

I did not like this for my NC25 skin. The color showed up darker than my foundation and just sat there as an unflattering, peachy color. I really wanted to make this work, but I just don't think it would flatter fairer skin tones.

The finish is beautiful and this product really does give a 'blur' effect. I'm sure this looked better on some darker skintones. I do not recommend this for NC25 and paler ladies.
I will try this when I'm tan in the summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2014 4:25:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

I didn't expect much, but this powder is just amazing. I got the Dim Light in the palette Hourglass released over the holidays with three of the Ambient Lighting powders. Dim Light is by far my favorite, and I use it every day now. I think you have to work with these powders to figure out how they work for you, and also get the right shade. Dim Light is my every day finishing powder and Radiant Light for a bit of a warmth on my pale, ruddy complexion.

I have problem pores. Today I applied with a "problem" foundation I just want to use up. It was Cover Girl Clean Whipped foundation and when it turns to powder, you can see it just sitting there in my pores like little grains of salt. Dim Light completely smoothed all that out and you couldn't see the foundation or my pores. I was so impressed, I had to come on here and write a review even though this product's already been praised to the sky.

The effect is very subtle, but it really does give your makeup a refined, airbrushed look. Regardless of the foundation I use, as a last step I apply a thin veil of Dim Light. It blurs my pores to nothing and the setting powder and blush looks more blended and refined. It brings light to the planes of my face without being a highlighter, exactly.

Do you need it, or is it life changing? Of course not. It's worth depends how much you want to pay for the subtle effect. It would certainly be worth it to buy one to use on special occasions when you want just that little bit of refined glow. In that case, one compact would last you a lifetime. It's a luxury product, pure and simple.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No