April 25, 2014 | 936 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by lylalies

At first I thought I just bought an overhyped product, an expensive overhyped product by the way. I didn't see any difference in my skin, but kept using it because... why not? The texture is great, very soft, and it distributes nicely. But then, after a few weeks I realized that I was getting a lot of compliments on my skin. I went out to the supermarket the other day and the lady there described me as 'the girl with the beautiful skin', and yes, she was referring to me! This is the only thing I've been doing differently, not even my skin care has changed. So it has to be this. The results are very subtle, at least to me, but it does something that makes you look better! I know these powders are not setting powders, they are finishing powders, but I've been using it to set my foundation and it works good, but I have combination skin, meaning my annoying nose is greasy, the rest is normal. I'm very excited for the blushes that are coming out, if they are like these powders, they are going to be great!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I got all six shades and I will review them individually and as a whole in the main review for these powders. This particular shade reminds me of exactly how it is described; how your skin looks in dimmed light, which for me is a lot better. I've only used this once and the Diffused Light once and what I would say is use them in the opposite light you're going to be in. For example this shade, I think looks better in florescent light since fluorescent light can be really harsh, this makes you look like your features are softened similarly to how they would be in dim light. Oppositely, I would use one of the lighter shades, like Diffused light if I was going to be in dim light to brighten my complexion up. So far I like the texture of the particular shade and the actual shade is exactly as described; a neutral soft beige that provides a perfect balance of warm and cool tones to blur imperfections. For the most part you have to be careful with these powders because you can quickly overdo it. I would choose a soft powder brush and lightly tap it into the product and tap it off before applying. I think the key to them looking natural is a very light application. Otherwise they would alter the shade of your skin and look fake and awkward. Hourglass nailed the intended light also, which I think is very clever and more advanced than typical makeup, therefore making it worth the price tag. I will update as I play more, but so far, I am loving these. UPDATE: My favorite of all the powders. This is the most flattering to my complexion out of all the powders. It really makes my skin look nearly perfect. Definite repurchase on this one.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2014 6:29:00 AM More reviews by ktemly

This powder, although subtle, is pretty amazing. I have only use it a couple of times, but I must admit that I did notice a difference in how my skin looked, especially after a couple of hours of wear. I'm really happy I took the plunge and purchased it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 4:27:00 AM More reviews by misspeke

Bought this in palette, but thought I would post a review here too as I saw the results people were taking about in some recents photos. Love it and will be repurchasing if I ever run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by dhuynh

all I can say is love love love this powder, first time I used it my husband complimented on my skin right away and he didnt even know I put it on. I will be putting this powder in my regular make up bag

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by em1282

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this product - I'm sorry for those reviewers who did not enjoy it, but in my experience, this is truly an HG product. It just sucks that it's so expensive, but in this case, I think it's worth every penny.

I use either a fan brush or a flat-ish contour brush to apply it. It's very finely milled and any aggressive handling of the powder will cause a lot of it to be kicked up from the pan. A flat brush is your best bet in my opinion, and I've also tried it with a stippling brush, which works well too. It doesn't really have a smell to it. I notice that it lasts pretty much all day - definitely over 8 hours in my experience.

I apply it after my foundation, blush, and loose powder. It just gives a nice glow to my skin without looking like I have another layer caked on. I will admit that I find the difference more noticeable in photos (which, seriously - this is where it truly works its magic) but I do see a difference when I'm just wearing it on a daily basis. I can't speak to its ability to blur wrinkles or lines since I don't have any (yet...) but it does make my skin look freaking luminous. I'd recommend this if you have an event to attend where a lot of photos will be taken, if you have the spare money kicking around, or if the curiosity about this product has been eating you alive (like it was with me for the past year!).

For reference I am an NC35 in MAC foundations and currently use a mix of Barcelona and Syracuse in any given NARS foundation.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by ilymed2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Dim light is perfect for my NC 25 summer skin. Gives a slight luminous glow (don't find this shade glittery at all) and seems to minimize the appearance of my pores. Doesn't sink into fine lines or cake (I give a light dusting with a semi-dense powder brush) on my combo-dry skin. I use as a finishing powder on my t-zone. Pretty sure it will be too dark for my paler winter skin though.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by TootsDiva

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

I researched the heck out of this product prior to buying it and thought it would be just what i needed. I bought the shade Radiant Light and thought it would change the game of my makeup stash. Instead I am disappointed and $50+ poor-er.
This shade leave a little glittery chunks on the face and def shouldn't be used all over. I have combination skin so it does nothing for me when trying to set foundation. Throughout the day i look like a oily glittery mess. I should have returned it but figured I could work with it but notice it is collecting dust in my stash. The only thing i can do is use it as a highlighter on my dark skin but even then to me its not worthy of that because it is duller then I would want it to be. The texture is silky smooth as most say. I don't know if i made the wrong selection but I feel this is over hyped.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

I am completely obsessed with this product and think it's definitely worth every penny. The Dim light is my favorite since it is more "matte" than some of the other ones and there's absolutely no sparkle, but very very sudden sheen. It's practically undetactable on the skin, however it adds just enough magic luminosity that your skin looks polished and gorgeous. It's kind of one of those products that makes everyone guess what you put on your face since it looks so amazing. If you enjoy makeup, this product is a must have and will last you forever.
I am thinking about saving more money and purchasing an Etherial light.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by PheistyChick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this stuff. I'm olive-complected and get pretty tan in the summertime. I was a little hesitant that it would wash me out, but the exact opposite occurred after putting it on for the first time... It really does give a nice, dewy/matte look. It also sets my foundation beautifully. I'll also disagree with other reviews that it sets into lines, especially around the eye area. I didn't find this to be the case at all. In fact, I actually think it helps blur what lines I do have.

I've tried putting my blush and bronzer on under it, but I really prefer it over. But that could just be me. Play around with it and see what works for you.

Overall, I would say that if you're looking for a powder that does it all (sets, blurs imperfections, and lasts all day long), this is for you. Yes, it's expensive, but the older I get the more I appreciate really good makeup. Besides, I've had this for a month, use it liberally each day, and it still looks new. I imagine this compact will last me a very, very long time.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No