Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I absolutely love this powder. It looks a little scary in the pan for super-pale people like me, but it works. First I apply my foundation, then I apply a bit of setting powder (usually Rimmel Stay Matte) to my face, concentrating on my oilest areas, and then I apply Hourglass over my entire face lightly. This sounds like it would be too much powder, but I promise you, it's not. My skin looks flawless and airbrushed every time; people have even commented on how good my skin looks. It really does make you look like you've been Photoshopped. I think the price is a bit ridiculous, but I would repurchase.

on 1/4/2015 1:24:00 AM

This product is probably one of my most unused makeup products and conisdering it was $45 that is pretty upsetting. Im not really sure what this i supposed to do because I have tried it as a setting powder, highlighter, and over my blush, but it does absolutely nothing for me. It is darker than my NC15 skin tone and comes off as an orangey glow. I'm extremely dissapointed with this product and I really dont understand all the hype.

on 1/2/2015 4:18:00 AM

Where have you been all my life? This product is my HG. It's replaced my mineral powder in my make-up case. The finish is a softy difused light, not matte, not dewy, just blurry beautifulness. I get compliments on my skin, not my make-up, when I wear it. It looks like perfect skin- it's amazing. It wears beautifully, but if I decide to top it up through the day it doesn't cake, flake or go patchy. It performs well over foundation and sunscreen. It's an expensive product in Australia but have a shop around online. Once you try it you'll never look back.

on 12/31/2014 12:48:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I bought the ambient lighting palette, which contains dim light, because I kept hearing about how it would make your complexion look amazing and airbrushed, etc., etc.

Dim Light has a negligible effect on my NC25-30ish complexion. If anything, it has a slight diffusing effect, but not enough to justifying keeping this palette for DL alone. I also noticed after several uses that it has a tendency to appear orange. I can't figure out if it oxidizes or if it just applies orange on me. Sad, because the makeup artist recommended using DL all over the face as a setting/diffusing powder. Instead of perfect airbrushed skin, I get an orangey glow.

on 11/27/2014 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I ended up having to return this product because no matter how much i built this product up on my NC40 skintone, it produced no real significant effect on my skin. My friend who has much lighter skin wears this powder and it seems to work better for her but Hourglass ambient line really isnt very WOC friendly

on 11/25/2014 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Somehow I only find myself purchasing these when I have either a coupon or a discount for it because they're simply so expensive. And I do not seem to get the same effect that others get and rave about when I purchase these ambient lighting powders.

When I apply dim light all over my NC15 complexion, I do find that it darkens my already applied foundation even with just a light dusting. I find that I do not reach for this for that sole purpose, and it may be better suited for darker skintones than my own. Diffused light was a better match for not altering my foundation tone, however I still do not see what is the marvel about these expensive powders!

For reference, my skin is NC15, dehydrated.

Edit: I recently acquired the palette which comes with Dim Light, and I finally found a use for this shade. To be frank, I still would not repurchase this product as I only use Dim Light for a light subtle work-day contour shade under my cheekbones. To have a large-sized powder for $52CAD for that purpose while I have other options would simply be outrageous, even for a beauty junkie like me. I do love many of the other ambient lighting powders though.

Second edit: This honestly just makes me look dirty. I am so displeased with it, even in my ambient lighting palette. I have no use for it! :(

on 11/22/2014 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shade looks dirty on my NC25 skin. Somewhat chalky and poor quality imho. Sent it back.

on 11/14/2014 6:31:00 PM

I decided to buy just one of these HG ambient lighting powders rather than the palette as the radiant lighting in the palette is just too orange for me. I am so glad I purchased the Dim Light as it is lovely day or night -- doesn't highlight pores, isn't one bit shiny or sparkly ... it just makes me look finished.... like my makeup is complete - I'm hooked!

on 11/10/2014 5:00:00 PM

Oh I didn't wana like this stuff! Seemed like an expensive other luxury I can't afford til I tried it! It even looks good over bare skin, but as a setting/finishing powder it's gorgeous. It's hard to explain. It makes you matte yet glowy and not powdery at all! And it didn't cake up my foundation/TM/etc underneath on my nose, like ALL powders do even sometimes my laura mercier setting powder (loose). But I mean the 2 are incomparable. It's unlike anything. Meteorites is sheerer and more glittery. Mac MSF depending on the type (natural: no glow; lightscapade: over the top glow well it's a highlighter after all) nothing like it. And do not use this as a highlighter: it's an all over face powder. It has sheer coverage and just an indescribable incandescence which I didn't believe til i saw. Not sparkly at all. Just. Perfect. My skin btw is very combo ranging from pretty oily to dry patches; and my shade is around a NW/nc 20 bobbi brown warm beige hourglass immaculate nude.

on 10/16/2014 7:16:00 AM

Expenisve, but oh so worth it! In love with my newest splurge that makes my skin look flawless and the product is so flattering I don't know what I was doing before it!

The packaging it stunning, the product is the most elegant finely milled powder that is undetectable on the skin, I will defiantly be going back for more shades, perfect setting powder, like nothing I have ever used before.

Having slightly oily skin, a glow is often not the makeup look I am after as it can accentuate and patches of oil through out the day, this however made my skin matte in the sense that no oil came through to the surface, but also kept a glowy finish on the skin. Gorgeous in photography too! Please go buy this product, I look forward to trying more Hourglass after this experience.