Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I initially thought that I'm not sure why I've never written a review for this palette (Naked Basics 2). After all, I've had it for about a year. So it's not really on my radar. I do like Primal for brows - does that count? About the same time, I also purchased the Naked 3 palette. And maybe that's why I haven't reviewed either one of them. I don't really like either one of them, I'm bummed that I spent so much moola on them, and I hate being in the minority, even though I often am, LOL. Naked Basics 2, though. I very rarely reach for it. The light tones - Stark and Skimp - are very chalky. Even when applied super lightly with the fluffiest of brushes - chalky. Frisk is a tad too light to be a good crease color for me, and Cover is almost red toned - yecchh. Not into looking like I have pink eye, thanks. Undone works well as a liner with a damp brush - though I suspect it works well mainly because it's dampened. Because ALL these shadows are super powdery, in my opinion, and don't blend as well as I'd like. There's a lot of flyaway powder and fall out during application. I get about six hours of wear out of them before I see significant creasing, and that's with a good primer. I just think for 30 bucks, these shadows should perform better. Considering that I feel similarly about the Naked 3 palette, I just might have issues with Urban Decay shadows, right? I've read that the company has significantly changed their shadow formulas in the last few years, and maybe that has something to do with it.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'd never been tempted to splurge on an eyeshadow palette before, but I'm so glad I bit the bullet and bought the UD Naked Basic palette. I have pale skin, pale brows, warm skin tone and dark circles under my eyes that are hard to cover completely.... basically a nightmare combination, but some how this palette brings out the best in my eyes and is enormously flattering.
Firstly, the formula of these shadows is amazing - I only experience mild creasing after about 8 hours of wear (I use a Laura Mercier eyeshadow primer, as I have oily lids), and I can easily blend the creases out with my finger. They are buttery and easy to blend - however, the intensity of colour can really be amped up or down depending on what brushes you are using - for a natural daytime look, I'll use all the shades but apply the darker ones using a Laura Mercier Pony tail brush (for a sheer, lightweight coating of colour), and use an eyeliner brush to line my upper lash line and the corner of the lower lash line in the very darkest colour ('Crave'). The colours look very pale in the pan, but the sahde 'Flirt' is surprisingly intense on the skin, so do test them out first. The matte formula is comparable to Laura Mercier and Mac shadows, and far better than Bobbi Brown (which I find chalky and hard to blend).
Secondly, I've found using a palette has simplified the process of eye contouring - a concept I've always shied away from for various reasons (not knowing what shades to use or how to apply). A little online research and I'm now a lot more confident in applying shadows to make the most of my eye shape, as well as achieving definite make up 'looks'.
The only downside is that UD don't sell any of the colours as refills - I can imagine I will use some colour more than others, so instead of refilling the empty ones, I'll have to buy a whole new palette. Also, it would be a lot more eco friendly for the company to allow the palette case to be reused and refilled.
I'm keen to try the Becca Ombre Nudes palette next, and perhaps the Dior backstage eye reviver palette.
I'd say the palette is more neutral than warm but good for skins with yellow undertones, and the Basic 2 palette looks cooler and pinker (which would bring out my under eye shadows in not time).
This is the first time I've used Urban Decay products, and I'm very impressed - far superior quality than that of some pricier brands I have tried.

My first experience using this palette fell flat. I didn't get the wowzers experience from a company that has been getting raves for years about the Naked line. It didn't take me long to come around to a more minimalist mindset on beauty, however, as I've been longing for the effortlessness of French actresses like Marion Cotillard and fashion editors like Emmanuelle Alt.

Now I use this palette everyday. Foxy and W.O.S I use to even out the complexion on my eyes, and then Naked 2 gets buffed into the crease to create a barely-there shadow. Then it's a little mascara and I'm out the door. I think my current minimalist eyeshadow routine may be more to humor a girl whose used to a more elaborate eye design, because really... no one can tell the difference. Except me, and that's all that matters. ;)

For a night out, I like to use the darker eyeshadows to add depth. But all matte is still boring as f*** so I always have a shimmer/satin shadow to layer over the look. Clinique CSD is my go-to.

I was given 2 of this palette on 2 occasions. I didn't like it. I think the colours are pretty but the 3 lighter ones didn't even show up much on me and it looked boring. I am a neutral girl with a pop of colour but these were chalky and nothing special.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this palette as i'm usually a neutral eyeshadow wearer. It has all the right shades for a very natural eye makeup, and also has a really nice brown and matte black for a darker, smoky look.
The shadows have great pigmentation, and they are nice and blendable, but they will show better if you use a primer. They are also a little powdery so I do recommend tapping the brush before applying. I have oily skin, so they tend to disappear on me at the end of the day, if i wear no primer.
Overall, great product and it sure is a make up bag staple!

I hated this product. None of the colors showed up on my eyelids! I took this back, because I will never use it. UD could have made the Pulp Fiction pallet part of the permanent collection. The only other dud I have had was Naked 3. Maybe both were dud palettes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I don't have any of the original UD naked palettes but I bought this as my travel eyeshadow palette. It has all the colours of need for eyes and eyebrows. Overall I do like it. I think I like MAC eye shadows better than UD as I find that there is less fall down. But overall good palette and great slim case for travel!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is my favorite UD palette to date. It's a workhorse, in that it can be used alone, or with other palettes. On my fair neutral-warm skin, I like Venus as a highlighting shade. It's not a true matte, as it has sheen. Foxy is a warm beige that almost matches my skin tone; I usually use this for setting eye primer or reducing redness. Walk of Shame is a very light pink with nice pigmentation. The staying power is the worst on this shade, although it's a great color. Naked 2 is a grayed taupe that reads ashy on my skin. I use it as a transition shade. Faint is a soft brown with fantastic pigmentation, while Crave is black and a nice eyeliner. The most problematic shades are Crave and WOS. Crave is powdery, while WOS seems to fade even over primer.

These 2 complaints aside, this is a great little palette that can be used in so many ways. I love this palette for work and natural looks. I have used better matte formulas, although for a mainstream mid-end brand, UD has created a lovely product that is easy to travel with!

This is a review on BOTH the naked basics 1 and 2

GET THEM! You won't regret it, seriously

BASICS 1
I am very pale with cool undertones and I definitely lean on the pink side and this palette works so well for me! It is definetly warm but in a weird way it would work for any skin tone honestly. The colors blend flawlessly and you can go subtle or build it to be darker. I don't use foxy at all and barely use WOS but the highlight she'd is awesome and I'm obsessed with the last three shades. It creates the best smokey eye even for my pale self.

BASICS 2
I love this palette just a TAD bit more than the first one just bc it's cooler. This is a very cool toned palette but just like the other palette, would work for any person seriously. I'm absolutely in love with this palette. I think it makes me skin and green eyes look amazing! I don't care for skimp or starke. I LIVE for frisk and cover and I love that undone is a great option for a darker color that's not black or too harsh.

I would love for UD to come out with a naked basics that had purply mauvy colors. I'd die!!!

Pros:
$29.. I'd pay 50 for these!
Creamy/blendable mattes
Both will work for cool or warm undertones
Best nude palettes
Great color payoff and lasting power

Cons:
None!!!!!

Do you NEED both of them?? You don't need any makeup! But if you can afford them or get them as gifts them yes! They are completely different and give completely different looks and you can play them off eachother.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

YASSSSSS! Finally, some mattes! I love this warm-toned neutral naked palette. I love to mix these shades with the original Naked palette to get more daytime, matte looks that don't OD on shimmer. My one complaint is that the lightest shade in this palette is a leeeeeetle too yellow for my taste. Doesn't work great on my skin tone, but it's good for those with more warmth in their skin. Other than that, A+!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products