December 20, 2014 | 1163 users online

Fragrances - Aquolina - Gold Sugar

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by BeautySleep9

Such amazing potential!! I bought Gold Sugar unsniffed because I like both Pink and Blue Sugar. Shouldn't have done that. Don't like the opening at all.. although I can smell, in the background, a BEAUTIFUL elegant sandalwood coconut vanilla that doesn't smell like suntan lotion (something I've been looking for) ....BUT there is something that ruins the whole thing for me and I think it might be the creme and the creme brle, or the creme/orange mix. It just smells off to me. It does get a lot better in the dry down and it did inspire my first review here at Makeupalley, in hopes that someone from Aquolina will read this review and think about making the perfect sensual warm close to the skin, coconut/vanilla/musky/woody fragrance that doesn't smell like Banana Boat tanning lotion. It's not too bad but I would def say smell before you buy.

EDIT* to say I'm pretty sure now that it's the powdered creamy orange aspect that turns me off to this. You know how they have lavender baby powder or vanilla? This smells like orange baby powder layered over one of those old school cold creams to me. I do still love the dry down tho.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Kellergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Just sickeningly awful. I sprayed this, and it immediately gave me a haedache and made me nauseous. I didn't think anything could be worse than Pink Sugar, but this is.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 6:12:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

OMG I love this scent! I wanted to try Pink Sugar (the original) and was put off by the overtly sweet smell (caramel I think) and saw this at the last minute. I thought, "meh betting it's no different." WOW. THIS is exactly what I was hoping for in the original.
It is very vanilla, very sexy, very warm, and sensual. This is no "cheap" scent either, it is very nice. I don't have anything like it in my collection either.
I have a hard time with some notes because they never show themselves on me, and tend to go after scents with sandalwood and amber in them to notice the notes more.
This scent is very delicious but not in an annoying way. It makes me feel very cozy and comfortable. It has good staying power, my first time I tried it on it lasted well over 8 hours. Since then it has lasted 6-8 hours or more with the lingering vanilla note and sandalwood.
On me it smells like creamy vanilla with a warm woody note. I can smell the coconut but its subtle. I don't smell the citrus on myself, but I do smell the neroli & musk. There is a very slight floral note in here but I cannot identify it. It is not sweet or cloying & I think anyone could wear this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

A few mua'ers are fans of this particular Aquolina scent and recommended it. I like warm heavy vanilla/musk winter scents and this is currently on sale at Ulta 1 oz for $17 so I had to try it out. This is a sweet scent but not as sweet and sticky as Pink Sugar. Gold Sugar has more of a woody base rather than a cotton candy & caramel one. On me, the predominant notes is creme brulee and musk. The citrus is there but is in the background.

I hardly wear fragrances due to the problem of most inducing headaches. However, Gold Sugar doesn't do that. I find this scent comforting, calming, pretty and delicious. I don't get that typical Aquolina "hussy" vibe from this particular scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had very high hopes for this fragrance. I really like the vanilla/creme brulee scent, although Gold Sugar has a very strong orange note to it. I really felt like I had to work with this fragrance or try to overlook to orange note to it. I have been looking for a cupcake vanilla type scent for quite some time now and this doesn't seem to be what I was looking for. I also found that the scent could be cloying at times, similar Pink Sugar. Maybe next time, Aquolina. I will not purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by yumcheesy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE THIS!! crème brulee with whipped cream on top, *delicious*!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Glossaholic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Very pretty and very different from Pink Sugar. Nothing like Pink Sugar Sensuelle. This is a lovely, soft vanilla-coconut with just enough florals to keep it from being overly sweet. Those familiar with the inexpensive and well-done Alyssa Ashley Vanille Coco will find similarities to Gold Sugar. This is perfect for hot summer days and evenings.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This reminds me a lot of HM butterfly. Reminds me when vanillas were the big thing a few years ago, and there is always one that is popular. This is the new one and it's worth a try if you are looking for a snuggle fragrance for fall. The strongest combo of notes also reminds me of Lolita lempicka, L, without the citrus. This seems stronger and I don't think can carry this off in hot weather, though I can wear L in summer. The strength is closer to Butterfly which I always figured best for cool weather.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by Anda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Notes: Neroli, Orange, Mandarin, Orange Blossom (isn't this the same as Neroli??), Creme Brulee, Coconut, Australian Amberwood, Cream, Musk.

Gold Sugar is like a rich, creamy coconut dessert dressed up with some woods and a splash of citrus so it's not too juvenile or one-dimensional.

I live in a humid tropical country, so like many perfumes this opens up with a strong blast of dessert heart notes (full-on coconut and creme brulee). It's not a toasty, earthy coconut. More like coconut cream pie without the crust. This opening can sometimes be borderline cloying in the heat, so if you're the same I recommend using a light hand (one spray) or decanting it into a dab-on vial instead of spraying.

This smells very faceted to me. I'm not sure why some people can only smell vanilla! After it starts to dry down, the more grown-up orange blossom and wood emerges (I don't get much musk), although the coconut 'n' cream facet doesn't ever go away completely. I don't find the orange blossom too artificial. In fact I think the delicate citrus-floral overtones and the woody base add a touch of class and brains to the whole thing, and elevate it above the teen-fragrance category by making it not so overtly edible.

Gold Sugar is quite possibly one of the longest-lasting scents in my collection (and I have about 90, including Thierry Mugler Angel). This also isn't one of those scents that go on strong then fade to a whisper after an hour. It projects very well too, so USE A LIGHT HAND.

P.S. scent snobs might hate me for saying this but it does smell kinda similar to my Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, but heavier on the sugar and fruit, and softer on the wood.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2013 9:14:00 AM More reviews by Nikki_L

It's really a simple vanilla scent to me. Nice enough. I like Pink Sugar Sensual the best out of the three. I wish they would bring back Chocolovers. Now THAT was a fragrance.