October 31, 2014 | 1181 users online

Mascara - Korres - Volcanic Minerals Volumizing Mascara Obsidian Black

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by DCarter23103

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample and have tried it for 2 days, just to make sure my first impression was correct. First of all, the dark black color is lovely and it made my already long lashes look soft and velvety. That's where the love ends. Within and hour, on both days, I have ended up with big smudges of mascara under both of my eyes. I almost never apply mascara to the lower lashes and I'm not wearing any eyeliner so that means that this mascara is traveling from my top lashes to under my bottom lashes. Not good and I do not recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Brandy26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I got this mascara in a set. I had never used Korres products and had not read a review on this product, so I feel like I went in unbiased & with an open mind. I haven't had the best luck with mid price range mascaras so that may have been my only bias, I wasn't expecting much. My trusty go-to mascara has been Lash Blast Volume for the past 5 years. I have tried others but keep going back because it's reliable & inexpensive.

My biggest concern when it comes to mascara is that it doesn't leave pigment around my eyes when I remove it. I've used some in the past that are nearly impossible to remove from my skin, that is something I just can't tolerate since I have dark skin around my eyes in the first place. I can't look like a raccoon. Other things that are important to me are ease of removal, non flaking, length & being very dark.

I wasn't really aware of how natural this product was until I had already used it, but that is a definite perk. Bottom line, this mascara is impressive. When I opened it I was concerned because the brush looked questionable, but the reality for me is that its design grabs all the lashes, even the hard to reach and teeny tiny ones. That's a quality I've not experienced in a mascara within recent memory. +1 lippie

The first thing that I noticed with the intial swipe of the wand was incredibly BOLD black pigment. It's seriously dark. +1 lippie. Next, I noticed great lengthening with the first coat. As a teen & in my early 20's my lashes were very long and I didn't necessarily need lengthening from my mascara, but things have changed. Ever since I became a mom my lashes just aren't what they used to be and they need as much help in that department as they can get. This mascara got me to falsie length with a regular application. Happy to add another +1 lippie.

Lastly, it didnt leave me with raccoon eyes post-removal. Granted, I did use a makeup remover (Clinique Take the Day Off), but there was no residual pigment on my skin. I have yet to try it with plain water, but honestly as long as it's easily removable, I'm happy. +1 lippie

The only thing that sticks out to dock this for is the volumizing claim. It doesn't do that. Lengthening, yes, absolutely. But no volume to speak of. This isn't a huge deal to me as my lashes have decent natural volume, but since it's part of the name of the mascara and certainly doesn't deliver that, it warrants a deduction in that department.

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised by this product. I can see me purchasing a full sized version in the future. I'm kind of surprised at the other reviews since several of my opinions are the opposite, but I guess it just depends on the individual's needs & perspective.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by rarityfalls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is just meh. Nothing special. Apparently it's a really natural product, which is good. If having natural makeup is really important to you then I guess this would be a good product. Being the mascara junkie that I am though, this just didn't cut it for me. Nothing major in length, nothing major in volume. I've used drugstore mascaras that are worlds better. (however, I do have to give credit for the naturalness of this)
The brush was good, a little awkward and slightly clumpy. It wasn't very seperating, and I didn't notice much volume. If anything it gave some okay length, but even then it was on the clumpier side.
Apparently this is supposed to be the blackest black, (it's from a volcano...I mean, that sounds pretty impressive to me) but I didn't notice anything special. Put it this way. If I hadn't known about where it had gotten its color, I never would have said, "Wow. You know what? This mascara is so dark it must be from a volcano." Again, I've used much better.
(For example- Make Up Forever's Smokey Lash mascara is the blackest black I've ever seen)
I wouldn't repurchase just because I wouldn't want to waste my money. However, for someone looking for a natural alternative to regular mascaras, I'm guessing this is on the better end of the spectrum.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by jumbojuice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this is the worst mascara I have ever bought. It was suppose to be a treat at the price I paid. My lashes have never looked uglier. It pretty much did the opposite of what it was suppose to do. Thumbs DOWN.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by SamanthaMD12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This mascara makes my lashes really long..but that's it! They just look like spider legs. No volume what-so-ever. So if your looking ONLY for length this is the mascara for you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 7:22:00 PM More reviews by nicole33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product SUCKS. No volume, no length, no curl. What a sheer waste of money and such a dissappointment. I won't trust the Sephora reviews any longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by peaceloveyuri

For starters, I'm a girl that only uses warm-water-removal (tubing) mascaras (most recently Clinique). My skin isn't necessarily super oily and my eyes aren't watery, but for some reason most mascaras, both high-end and drugstore, tend to run on me and I end up with raccoon eyes. Not cool. I absolutely hate waterproof mascaras so that's just not an option for me. I've gotten really good at applying tubing mascaras and I prefer a natural overall look anyway, but I was looking for something that would give me more of a doe-eyed, volumized look as an alternative.

I like that Korres makes natural products. This mascara has a bit of an odd scent to it, but it's not intolerable. You have to be really careful with your application and may even want to use a different brush, as the one it comes with is huge and can leave clumps behind. I love the rich, black color and I like that it doesn't dry out my lashes, which remain soft and pliable throughout the day. Smudging and flaking are minimal (pleasant surprise), and I'm left with volumized and lengthened lashes that still look pretty natural. Holds a decent curl, but obviously not as well as a curling mascara. Overall, I'm happy with the product and I'd get it again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2012 5:14:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT: i am giving this another lippie, so 4 stars! i have grown to like this mascara, it still is a little bit clumpy but nothing a brush couldnt fix. i am enjoying the VOLUME this mascara gives, very thick and black! good stuff. i also purchased maybellines the mega plush & i am loving that one too! will review.
_____________________________
im on the fence with this mascara. i read fab reviews on sephora and ran out to buy it. it does thicken/provide volume with 1 coat...but in a bit of a clumpy way. i definitely have to separate afterwards with the lash comb. theres oh so slight raccoon eyes 7 hours into the day, but my skin is very oily. holds a curl and lengthens a bit but the clumpy factor detracts, thus only 3 stars. the color is obsidian black and yes, i would say this is very black. the touch...its crispy, not soft like my fave maybellines full & soft. i will finish out the tube but i will not be repurchasing. i will try maybellines the mega plush next!