Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser

3.3

Water, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauryl Glucoside, Potassium Accylates Copolymer, PEG 120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance

I love this cleanser. I started using it because I was looking for something gentle but effective at removing makeup. This cleanser can be slightly drying, but I find that works well for my combo-oily skin (even in conjunction with prescription acne products). I have extremely sensitive skin (due to retinol use) and the fragrance does not bother me or my skin at all.

on 2/6/2015 12:39:00 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. I have been purchasing this product for several years. I absolutely love it. As it states "it thoroughly cleanses" and removes my makeup at night. When it goes on sale, I buy every one in the store that's how much a love this cleanser. I love the pump dispenser - great for the shower.

on 2/2/2015 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First off, I am honestly surprised and amazed by how well this removes a light/moderate face of "washable" makeup (i.e., not waterproof, not long-wearing; I always use separate makeup removers on those, and that's mostly eye makeup anyway). It doesn't foam so much as it lathers--it feels really nice on the skin, and you can tell it's removing makeup because the lather on my fingers gradually becomes more skin-toned because that's the makeup coming off! It has a super light fragrance, and the product is clear so there's no added dyes. I've also used it on my eyes (again, for washable mascara) and have experienced no irritation.

Used with no other skincare products, I do think it is *slightly* drying on my skin; however, it's also the beginning of February and my skin is quite dry this time of year. A good toner/exfoliant and moisturizer combo negates any such tightness for me, though, and I think this cleanser will be great when the sweatier, oilier summer months come around.

It's a bit pricey for a drugstore cleanser ($10.99 at my CVS), but you can get coupons/sales frequently. Besides, it's a hefty 10oz which is ~2-4oz more than your typical drugstore cleanser, so the price per ounce ends up being comparable if you're okay with committing to a slightly larger bottle.

on 1/25/2015 7:23:00 AM

This is very drying even though it's meant for sensitive skin. I don't understand why there is that many bad ingredients: perfume, dye, alcohol, etc...
It did not do any good to my dehydrated, sensitive skin. I used it for a month and threw it out...Disappointed because usually i like Neutrogena. I bought Desert Essence instead: same price range and WAY BETTER option for my skin!!

on 1/16/2015 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This cleanser came in a special Christmas package that also included the oil free lotion and oil free eye makeup remover all for $8 Cdn, that's why I gave it 1 star for price - it was such a great bargain.

This the first time I've tried this cleanser and I'm not really liking it. For starters, it doesn't foam very well which isn't a huge deal. The formulation feels very thin even when I've used 2 pumps worth of product. I don't feel like the product is sufficiently "cutting through" a day's worth of the makeup and oil on my face when I use the cleanser with my fingers.

Even after rinsing, my face still feels like there's makeup left. I usually end up washing my face twice. I've also used the product with a facial brush and this seems to spread it around better and my face feels cleaner afterwards.

For me, this is a very mediocre cleanser and I'm glad I hadn't paid full price for it. Won't be repurchasing.

on 1/15/2015 9:07:00 PM

I started taking Accutane about 4-5 months ago and knew I needed a gentle cleanser for my soon to be very dry skin.
I found this product on the internet and decided to buy it. I got it in the foaming formula and the creamy formula. I loved the foaming formula but wasn't a big fan of the creamy so if your buying this product stick with the foaming. It is great for sensitive skin which I temporarily have and I also use it to clean my makeup brushes and it does a great job. It does a good job cleaning and you don't have to use much. I have been using the same bottle since I started Accutane and still have quite a bit left in the bottle so you get a lot of product for a good price. I bought mine at Shopper's Drug Mart and it's also available at Walmart.

on 1/11/2015 2:24:00 PM

This mild foaming cleanser did not remove all my makeup. It has a light scent and rinses clean, without overdrying the skin. Free & Clear cleanser and First Aid beauty cleanser perform better for me and are unscented products.

on 12/30/2014 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Great cleanser. It takes all my makeup off and foams nicely. Totally different from cetaphil gentle which does not remove my makeup. The scent is noticeable but not overpowering.

on 12/24/2014 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Its hard to find non-stripping, gentle, water soluble cleansers in the drugstore (in my town). This doesnt fit that bill either, but you get a lot of product for the price -and a pump- and its not too drying if used strategically. It has medium cleansing power, between Cetaphil and a traditional foaming cleanser. Doesnt irritate my skin it and rinses clean. Has a mild soap fragrance, but nothing bad. I use it in the morning in small amounts because I wake up with oily skin, at the end of the day I use albolene to remove my makeup and this to remove Albolene and wash my face. That way its not drying. Im SURE that if you use this on its own to double or triple wash, it WILL DRY YOUR SKIN OUT unless it is very oily. It's probably not as bad as gel cleansers aimed at teens, but its still a bit drying. Dont like it, Im in my huge second bottle of this because in the drugstore there are much worse options.

on 10/27/2014 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For years I have been washing my face with Dr. Bronner's Castile soap, which I adore, but it's far from gentle. Getting into my 30s I thought it might be time to try something a little less stripping and more gentle.
I do not have sensitive skin, I do not suffer from acne or breakouts, my skin is basically normal - not too dry and not too oily.
So far I really like this cleanser. I always use a buff puff when I wash my face, and I find no problems getting plentiful lather. It rinses away clean, and afterwards my skin feels just the right amount of tightness, of clean-ness. Nowhere near as tight and dry as after using the Castile soap. I don't feel any build up or residue from this cleanser, and don't feel the need to tone afterwards. Rather, I always moisturize right away after washing my face. This cleanser removes my make up fully, although this might be due to the fact that I use a buff puff.
The packaging is good, as is the price. Unless this causes some long-term problems I believe I will continue using this for a while. I will update after I've used it for a month or two.

The only con is the fragrance. It's relatively strong, and though it doesn't bother me at all I could imagine someone with sensitivity having a big problem with this wash.