September 2, 2014 | 1954 users online

Hair Treatments - L'Oreal - Elvive Extraordinary Oil

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 3:20:00 PM More reviews by tarayeo

Saw this product in action on beauty shows and celebrities so decided to try it out. Initially, I was satisfied with the results. It wasn't oily and left my hair smooth. But after using for a week (I apply this on damp hair every time after I wash my hair which is every other day), I realized it left made my hair waxy and stiff. I used a clarifying shampoo and decreased my usage of this product but it still left a waxy film on my hair. Once I stopped using this product and substituted it for other hair oils I had, in a week I no longer get the waxy stiff texture. Really puzzling...

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by taechainz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i have EXTREMELY damaged hair from years of coloring, straightening, & poor diet (oopsies) but i am on the up&up for bringing it back to health. i use this oil for dry to coarse hair on my ends after my showering & also every time before i straighten it. it's AMAZING. i love the smell & it seriously protects my ends. i use it in conjunction the tresemme keratin smooth flat iron protector &i swear by them both.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 11:32:00 AM More reviews by heartsinwonderland

I have the american version of this. The version for every hair type, not the one for coarse hair. It's nice, but I've tried better. It does a good job of smoothing the hair, almost too good. I wouldn't recommend it for after styling, but as a styling product. It leaves my hair a little to flat for my taste though. It has a nice feel, but it's more silicone than oil. I'm not fond of the scent, it's a bit musky. I personally am enjoying the new L'Oreal Oleo Therapy Oil-Essence to this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2014 10:49:00 AM More reviews by lovelymallie

Ever since my hairdresser recommended me using hair oils, I've been obsessed and they are deffintly a must for my hair! I've tried quite a lot (macadamia, schwarzkopf, morrocanoil, etc.), and this oil (the one for coloured hair) is crap.

First of all it's nothing like and oil, as it's thin and runny like water. Second of all it smells. Like really harsh cemicals or something. Not pleasent at all. And last but not least, it doesn't even moistruize my really dry and frizzy-like or make it soft, smooth and shiny like any other oils I have tried. Threw it out after 3 uses, which is sad cause I hate wasting products. I just knew I would never use it, but before I threw it out I let my mom who has the same hair texture as me and sister who has gotten thin and fine hair try it. It didn't work for neither of them either!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 11:50:00 AM More reviews by beautyfix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have waist length, fine, thick hair which I tint to change colour, not lighten, every few months. At the end of the day my beloved mane was very tangly and gently removing the tangles was a boring ritual. I bought the gold capped version for all hair types and am surprised how good it is. I already use coconut oil occasionally before shampooing but am surprised with my results from this new oil. With the L'oreal oil my hair is no longer tangly (if I find a tangle it's because i didn't cover that lock of hair) it feels even softer, I've soft hair anyway being fine, but it looks a little fuller and glossier and healthier. My comb now slides through my hair in a minute instead of twenty. The biggest plus for me is my hair is growing longer because it's not getting tugged even gently and so splitting. I would recommend this to all women who want to grow their long hair longer and because it removes nearly all of the hassle of having very long tresses. I don't apply this oil to the hair on the head, just the lengths. I'm thinking of trying the oil for fine hair but am v pleased with this version. Another plus is if one over applies this oil it seems to evaporate any excess after a few minutes so when I sometimes make my hair look lank and greasy - within minutes it looks glossy and full - I can't get that from coconut oil however much I love it.

I use a couple of drops on wet hair and a couple more once my hair has air dried - if you're growing your hair throw away your hairdryer at once. I don't know what's the best way to apply this oil but it's so easy going on the hair, so foolproof, that I don't suppose it matters just start off slowly and add more when needed for tangles etc and anyone can find the best way for them. I had no idea my hair was dry as it looked lustrous (due no small part to my gorgeous 'Organic Surge' shampoo and conditioner) but using this L'oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil I now find dryness is obviously the cause of my knotty problem but no more with this lovely stuff. Great oil am v pleased.

As for the glass bottle it's much better than plastic - please - grief - it preserves the oils without tainting them as plastic would. Why does everyone prefer cheap nasty plastic bottles have you not heard of phthalates? They are plasticisers which believe me you don't want in your food/drink or applied to your scalp or skin, they're carcinogens and can cause severe i.e. life threatening liver damage. Glass bottles all the way please.

It does smell fragranced which I don't mind, my hair does smell pleasantly scented now which I can't think particularly good for the hair but I've noticed no negative effects beyond a kind of frangipane scent which is quite attractive once on the hair and settled by a few minutes. In my teens boys would grab lengths of my hair and smell it, I know I'd have liked it so prettily scented then.

Obviously this oil is a chemical concoction that's been formulated in a lab for maximum effects, maximum profits - unless one makes one's own what can we expect, however it does improve the look and feel of my nordic type hair. The surprise is that my hair is fine and can't take heavy moisturisers without looking lank but that this oil, once it's sunk in, five minutes, looks gleaming, full and glossier than usual. I wish they'd made it sooner in my life, I suspect my hair would be much longer than it is today.

Long term I suspect it won't improve the condition of the hair (except for comb tugging damage which can cause splitting and breakage, which this oil has stopped and is the bane of long hair) but does make it look and behave much better immediately.

A little goes a long way, a bottle may seem expensive but it will probably last six months to a year unless you've a gorgeously thick mane to your hips and then who cares, with such a blessing - lucky lucky you. For every long haired women, this oil seems worth a trial.

NB - to all mothers of long haired little girls - this oil might be a real asset - no more tugging on long tresses as you comb them out for her, am sure it would help brush and comb little girl's hair much more easily and much more quickly.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by xrini

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice product with beautiful smell.I bought it because I found it on sale 1+1 free.I thing that it's a bit pricey(10 euros).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 2:38:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

This hair oil is pretty damned good - but for me only as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'd been staying with my sister for a few days and decided to try hers out - the one for all hair types. It left my hair extremely shiny and soft. I normally use natural oils, applied as an overnight treatment OR left in for half an hour before I wash my hair. What I like about this particular hair oil is that on me, it doesn't need my (mild) clarifying shampoo to remove most of the surface oil afterwards and avoid over-conditioning my limp but dehydrated hair. Okay, it's not natural but it's very impressive in terms of ease of use and results. I also tried it unsuccessfully as a finishing product, applied VERY sparingly, but I knew it was going to leave my hair greasy and it did. BTW my hair is oily roots, dry ends, fine and coloured. UPDATE: still loving this hair oil which I use twice a week (two pumps for just longer than shoulder-length hair), I leave it for at least ten mins then wash out and condition lightly - gorgeous! I still use natural oils esp. overnight for intensive conditioning, but this is a great cosmetic treatment.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 6:05:00 AM More reviews by chi77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got the one in the red cap since I have colored hair. Gosh, this burnt my hands. It had alcohol and I'm allergic to it. Hair is ok. But for the sake of saving my skin, this is going into someone else's dresser!

UPDATE: I tried this a week later. This time, it didn't burn my hands or skin. Strange. I just took one pump and rub it from mid level down to my ends. Shake up the hair ends, comb through and smooth as silk! Blow dry and hair was just soft and shiny. So I've upgraded the lippies from one to three.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Maryangels96

I have the one with the filter UV (red cap) because where i live, its mostly sunny, so i like to protect my hair as much as my skin.

This is a miracle in a bottle!! I have medium length hair with dry tips like crazy! I tried to find something that would suit me, so my mom got this a few months ago and gave it to me as she stopped using it because she bought phyto. I was amazed at how amazing this is!

My hair has never been this soft, shiny and beautiful before!! I started to get a lot of compliments (which dosent happen often) !!!

I mostly use this as a after shower product on damp hair, then as a final product after straightening it ( I have curly, wavy, frizzy hair). I have never thought that my hair would be this amazing after just one use!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 10:48:00 AM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

At first I didn't really like this oil because of the ingredient list. It seems to have a ton of non-oil ingredients in it, and I had been hoping for something that would be almost pure oil. But then when I use it, I think it's so nice! Not blow-me-out-of-the-water nice, but it's still pretty good. I found I get the best results when I use it on damp hair. I don't blow dry, I always just let it dry naturally, and the results are still nice. It leaves the hair soft, which is pretty hard for me to achieve because I have coarse, dry hair naturally. The hair doesn't look oily at all after it dries, it just looks like nice, soft, bouncy hair. As with all hair oils I have to use a lot of product though, because if I use less it just doesn't do anything for the hair or succeed in covering it all. I use 3-4 pumps on each side of the hair. But don't do that unless like me you have very thick, very coarse, very dry, long hair. If you found it too greasy, you were probably using too much. I think how much you should use would depend on how thick and dry your hair is to begin with. Oh I use the one with the gold cap, because I have natural hair.