Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Expert Face Brush

4.6

on 6/3/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I ignored this for ages because I was sick of hearing all the non stop-hype about it. Well, it is very good and deserves the attention. It is affordable, soft, not too large or small and good for those with drier skin who don't like to buff away and micro exfoliate their face. I like that Real Techniques is accessible, compared to other make up brush bands. This brush helps blend in makeup well and I haven't found any streaking. I also haven't experienced any shedding, which is great. I really don't know what else to say except that this is a really good, reliable brush that doesn't absorb too much product compared to other brushes and does the job reasonably quickly. I will not be straying for a long time.

on 6/1/2015 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a massive fan of the Real Techniques brushes, and this one is no exception. I had read a lot about the range and had quite a few brushes on my wish list, and this was the first I actually purchased. I actually use it to blend my liquid concealer, which I realise is probably not the way most people use it. I've read that a lot of people use it as a foundation brush, and I'm sure it work well with my foundation but I personally love it as a concealer brush.

I use the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer with the doe foot applicator. I dap the concealer over any areas on my face that I want to conceal, and swipe it under each of my eyes. I then use this brush to blend it all in in patting and buffing motions. I try not to rub too much as I don't want my concealer to move around too much from where I want it to be. It buffs the concealer into my skin very quickly without leaving streaks. Although it is quite large for a concealer brush I still find it easy to use all over my face, even around the edges of my nose and right near my eye, as I can hold it at different angles and control how much of my skin it's touching at one.

It is quite soft but very dense, which is good as it feels nice inn my face but it's strong enough to pat product into my skin quickly and effectively. Being dense also means there's not much room for product to sink in between brush hairs and end up getting wasted. It also makes it very easy to wash as most of the product build up is around the end of the bristles, so there's not a lot to clean out from deep inside the brush. It doesn't shed during use or washing, and also retains its shape after cleaning. It doesn't take too long to dry either, probably 4-5 hours to be fully dry. The handle feels sturdy but not too weighty or awkward to held, and has a flat brush making it easy to stand up on a batch while you're doing your makeup. For a brush of this quality it's a really good price too.

on 5/29/2015 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This brush is amazing. It's like unicorn bristles making love to my face! I am a guy, so I wear foundation, and this applies it perfectly! It's so different from the buffing brush that is in the RT set. This brush is smaller, densely packed, and it is able to put the foundation in the exact places that I need it. I use this brush to stipple on my foundation, in the areas that I need it, and it really is worth the hype. Go out, and buy this brush!

on 5/28/2015 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

i use this brush to buff in my foundation - i rotate it with a stippling brush and a bigger, fluffier face brush. honestly i prefer the other two brushes because this one is so small. i apply my foundation with a sponge and just use this for buffing, and i don't think it's particularly suited for that purpose. it does an alright job but takes much longer than a larger, softer brush.

in general though, i really like real techniques brushes. they are well designed and comfortable to use. the handle isn't too long and the curve makes it nice to hold. they're great quality too and don't shed. i just don't think this one is suited to my needs.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of my HG brushes for foundation application. It's great for powder and liquid, even cream! I have not experienced any shedding since I bought it which was about 5months ago. And it is still good as new. I have a back- up and will not regret buying again if it got lost because it is very affordable and worth it! No funky after wash smell too! I love it!

on 5/18/2015 9:36:00 AM

GORGEOUS brush. I use mine for liquid foundation but it's also amazing for buffing powder or concealer into the skin. My go-to brush.
Washes perfectly and the bristles don't fall out when you're doing make up leaving you with long black hairs all over your face (as some brands.. ahem... MAC! ... often do!).
BUY IT!
Usually on 3 for 2 at Superdrug. Great value.

on 5/15/2015 8:32:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

The only other Real Techniques product I have used is the Complexion Sponge, which is what I have mainly been using to apply foundation in the last few months. As it does absorb the product quite quickly and takes forever to clean, I decided to go back to using a brush again. Even though it looks quite small, this brush works really well to blend and apply my makeup smoothly and doesn't get dirty too easily. So far, this would probably be my favourite foundation brush.

on 5/11/2015 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Looking through my old reviews, I see that at one point I was using the Ecotools foundation brush. I gave it a great review, so I must have loved it, but then I quit using it...so long ago that I honestly don't remember using it at all although it's sitting underneath my sink. I've been using my fingers to blend my foundation at LEAST through my last bottle, if not longer than that. BUT my foundation would get a little cakey by mid-day above my upper lip if I was too generous with the foundation...but I wanted to be generous, because I actually NEED foundation. Then I saw a review for this brush and wondered if it was my technique to blame and not the foundation. I watched the short youtube video for how to use it, and grabbed it from Walmart for $8.98.

What I love about this brush is that it's so easy to use! My last brush was called a "foundation brush" and I used it like a paintbrush, smearing my foundation in strokes. That's a little too much thinking early in the morning, trying to get it even and not leaving streaks of too much/too little. I guess that's why I went back to my fingers? This brush is more of a "buffer." I smear my foundation from my finger to my skin and then "buff" it in circles all around until it disappears. Then I do the same thing to another area, ect. It's easy, it's blendable, and it seems to allow better "building" with my foundation than fingers or the foundation brush.

Just a word of caution...I think I use twice as much foundation with this brush than without it. Personally, I think that's a POSITIVE statement, because I actually WANT to use foundation when I use foundation...but not everyone does. Some people don't need coverage like I do.

on 5/10/2015 4:38:00 PM

I LOVE this brush. First off, I'm a non-makeup gal--only for 'occasions'. Method my whole life has been a tinted spf moisturizer and *maybe* some liquid foundation on top, applied with fingers or sponge. Since so many new tools and videos and applications have come out in the last decade, it's been fun to read about and experiment, so I decided that if and when I wear makeup these days, to do it right.

Also, in my early 50s, the rosacea has really kicked in. Luckily, due to the daily spf, I don't have many wrinkles. I forget how I found it, but I use this and the RT Stippling brush. I use the stippler to apply a green liquid to my rosacea areas and love that, then, use the RT Expert for foundation.

Products: RT Stippling with Physician's Formula green concealer, then RT Expert with Makeup Forever HD Foundation

Application: (learned via Wayne Goss on youtube) Half pump MUFHD on back of hand, spot apply all over face with a finger. Broad down strokes over all face, then circular all over, then reverse direction. (I might try another poster's method, dip tip of brush in liquid and stipple it, then swirl.)

Results: Very airbrushed but great coverage. So much less I use and so much better coverage than sponges or fingers! I love the feel of the brush on my skin. I do take a smaller foundation brush that tapers (Sonia Kashuk/Target) to get at my nose creases, I find the RT too big for that. Enjoy!

on 5/4/2015 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've used this along with Urban Decay's Optic Blurring brush for a little over a year. Urban Decay's would shed with each cleaning and recently fell apart on me while this $9US brush is still has yet to lose a single hair.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products