October 23, 2014 | 1881 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Setting Brush

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2014 2:44:00 PM More reviews by missamanthann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll first preface this by saying that very few of my brushes are used solely for their stated purpose. I have a tendency to multitask my brushes, and I'm of the belief that a good, high-quality brush will be able to hold up to almost any task. It may not be the best at a task, but it won't fall apart if I use it for something other than its designed purpose. 99% of the good brushes I have used hold up to that expectation; unfortunately this setting brush does not.

I use this brush to blend in and set my under eye concealer. I have almost all good things to say about the entire line of Real Techniques brushes but unfortunately this particular brush sheds so much. I end up with at least 2 hairs under each eye after I'm finished with applying product; I can excuse the occasional shedding but this is a consistent shed and it's very annoying. I even just tested this brush by wiping it on my arm, no product, to see if it was the liquid concealer I was using, but brush hairs still fell out on my arm.

The domed shape of this brush though is excellent for applying powder or concealer to small, specific areas. It also comes to a decent point, which is perfect for detailed applications, and it's flat enough to give a general wash of powder to the face if you want a more broad application. However, it's not quite as soft as the other Real Techniques brushes, and the bristles can feel rather pointy. I think this brush could be reasonably used for very specific purposes.

I would recommend a brush like this if you are on a budget and can live with the shedding in exchange for a good price (as far as drugstore brushes go, this line is probably the very best). However, if you can afford a more expensive brush, I would skip this brush and go for a better-qualify brand that doesn't shed as much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I'm going back for more of these! It does an amazing job at buffing in my liquid under eye concealers and for patting in setting powders. You can also use it for highlighting smaller areas on the face. It works just as well as my higher end brushes and hasn't shed at all!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

I recently purchased this brush during a sale at Ulta. I had read all the fantastic reviews here on MUA and decided to give it a try. I have been using my ELF concealer brush to apply setting powder to my under eye area but the reviews on this brush were very compelling.

I purchased and when I got home I unpackaged and set aside to clean before use, as I do with all my brushes before using. When I went to wash this brush, half the bristles fell out! I have never experienced anything like this, and was quite disappointed. I own many RT brushes and like some more than others, but all of them have been through the same routine...unpackaged and washed before use and they all passed the muster, except for this one...arghhhh!

Back to Ulta for a replacement, I hope the second one lasts longer than my first. It would be nice to at least apply setting powder and see if it's worth adding to my daily routine.

7/26/14 - UPDATE - I did exchange this brush and the second one is much better than the first, so I am changing my review from 1 lippie to 4. So far the quality has held up and I have not experienced any extreme shedding. I still prefer the use of my ELF pro concealer brush (the full black black handled one with black bristles) to this for setting my under eye correctors and concealers.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 4:13:00 PM More reviews by beccs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

JUST PERFECT! like all of the real techniques brushes!! I use this for the dark circles under my eyes, after i apply my Bobbi Brown correcter using this i then use a Soap and Glory kick ass concealer powder (NOT THE CREAM because they have silica in them and are a terrible product) and this brush just applies everything perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought it, loved it so much for many different purposes I had to buy two more. And I'm considering buying another just to have a clean setting brush available at all times. I use one for highlighter, one for under eye concealer and one for contouring.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 4:06:00 AM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i love this brush! Real Techniques is easily one of my favorite drug store brand of brushes (even beating out Eco Tools). I was originally using a Sigma pointed "highlighter" brush to set my under eye concealer and I loved it but I saw this and decided to try it out. The bristles on this are a lot softer and delicate for the under eye area yet still dense enough to pack on enough powder so your concealer doesn't crease or slide around. I also love using this to kind of blend out eyeshadow I put underneath my eye. GREAT brush and great price without cheating you on the quality! I also love it for highlighting the bridge of my nose.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 10:28:00 PM More reviews by alish15

This is one of my favorite real techniques brushes. I love the size of the handle and the top part. It fits perfectly under my eyes for setting concealer. I also use it for putting setting powder on other parts on my face, since I don't cover my whole face with powder in the cooler months. It is a great price and it is often on sale somewhere online. It is nice for highlighter as well. The bristles are soft and easy to clean since it's synthetic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 8:31:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Probably one of the best in the collection ime. I use it for detailing my MMU/getting into corners, and setting my concealer. Soft and dense. Doesnt shed. Synthetic and dries fast. Just the right size and shape for blending.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PROS

- soft
- doesn't shed
- size
- dries quickly

CONS

- none

COMMENTS: Very soft and works great for setting the under eye area, highlighting, and contouring the nose. My favorite use is for highlighting. Nothing bad to say about this.

Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 12:24:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This brush...is amazing! One of the best in my kit/collection. I love that its synthetic which means if I choose to use it with cream products, like cheek highlighter, it doesn't absorbed all the product like a natural bristle brush would. It fits perfect under the eye/on the cheekbone. I use this to apply concealer/highlighter and to set my concealer. Flawless application that looks very natural. I sometimes use this to blend out my contour too. I think synthetic brushes are better to blend, the leave a more natural finish. Its $8 on Amazon, so not a huge investment. If you have a extra couple bucks and are looking for a good brush to expand on your collection, I highly recommend this one!