July 29, 2014 | 2011 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Nail Defense

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by purplesoul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a solid base coat and a good top coat. It's my default whenever I paint my nails. It's a little expensive, but it's easy to find (beauty stores and drugstores both have it) and it dries quick and does a good job.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2011 12:28:00 AM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have had horrible nails (peeling, dry, brittle, breaking off as soon as they get to the tip of my finger) for the past couple years. Tried everything from Nailtiques to OPI to Barielle and a million Sally Hansens. I probably spent $400 plus on $20 bottles of treatments that did not work. ... Finally one day I bought this just because I was out of clear polish and saw it at CVS. "Never tried this brand, hmmm...." Well lo and behold, for under $10, this is the one that worked! For the first time in years, my nails are beyond my nail tips and are strong and hard. I am not sure I can credit it all to Orly Nail Defense, as I've also been taking biotin supplements and stopped using my cuticle remover (which I think was the real culprit), but this product has definitely helped. It goes on nicely, one coat lasts two days and it doesn't crack at the tips as lots of clear polishes do or flake/fade off the tips as fast. Bonus: The rubberized brush handle makes it easy to grip firmly for smooth application. Love!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2010 7:37:00 PM More reviews by elizmp

I have been a nail biter most of my life. I stopped biting my nails long ago but had trouble growing them out and keeping them long. The grow fast but they were brittle, split and broke easily. I have been using the Orly Nail Defense Treatment for about one month and have seen significant improvement. They have grown out and they are stronger. I often bump into items with my hands (doors, drawers etc.) and that was when my nails would take the hit too. Since using Orly my nails are growing beautifully and stronger. They have flexibility but they are also hard. I would recommend this item to anyone who might be looking for something and had similar problems. Now, I actually have to trim them b/c I type a lot for work and they get in the way.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2010 5:21:00 PM More reviews by DitaVee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been trying to get my mum's nails in to shape over the last few months - she's really active with her hands and is always banging and smashing her nails up so that they never grow. I was actually looking for a basecoat for myself when I found this at a great price (2 for 1 because it was the old, purple packaging), and as mum was with me and I didn't need 2 things, I thought I'd get it for her just to see if it made a difference.

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with this product. Mum's nails don't just break from impact, they also have a tendancy to split/peel and this stops that dead in its tracks. Her nails have now all grown to an even length (though she has 3 she stills has a tendency to break repeatedly, I don't think anything will help that) and she seems to have less ridges in her nails. She's nearly gone through a whole bottle and I just went out and got her another 2 yesterday because it does such a good job.

The only reason I can't give this a 5 is that if she doesn't use it every single day her nails start to split a little again. Mum experimented after a month of use to see if she could go down to every second day, but when I took the polish off at the end of the week, I could see 2 nails with little splits in the centre, so back to daily she is. This might have been a coincidence, but she loves her new nails so much that neither of us wan't to risk it! This treatment also holds those splits together brilliantly (her nails were split at the start, and during that week).

I really recommend this to anyone who is trying to grow or strengthen their nails, especially those with nails that split..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2010 2:40:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

my nails have been getting progressively worse at breaking and tearing over the last few months, so I finally decided to start using a treatment product on them. I decided to get Orly Nail Defense, and after a month of use it's definitely improved my nails. Since I started using it I haven't had any breakage or tearing. I tend to change my polish 2-3x a week, so I'm applying a fresh coat of this every 3rd day or so. I use it only as a base coat since I prefer to use a quick drying or no chip top coat. I wouldn't say that my nails are growing faster, but they certainly seem to be growing stronger.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2009 2:27:00 PM More reviews by RedNailz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this to use a treatment/base coat. I followed the directions for a couple of days and applied a coat every other day. With Christmas coming up, and things getting busy, I totally forgot to keep up with treatment. And my nails stayed strong! This should be unremarkable, but in truth, most nail treatments start to chip off and my nails break if I don't keep applying the stuff. Nail Defense is as close as I've gotten to finding a substitute for OPI Nail Envy. I'm now using it as a base coat and hope to have good results. UPDATE: Still using it! I used 1 coat as a base, applied 2 coats of polish, then 1 coat Nail Defense as a top coat. My manicure didn't chip at all for 5 days and my nails have not peeled! I'm increasing my rating because this is really a good value!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by artemis513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using Orly Nail Defense as a base coat under Orly Bonder for almost a year now since I realized that Bonder was yellowing my nails (toes). Nail Defense + Bonder + 2 coats of polish (preferably China Glaze) + Seche Vite or Poshe topcoat = Perfect pedi for 2 weeks or more, seriously. Nail Defense has also kept my toes strong, as they are naturally weak and prone to tearing. On my second bottle and will continue to repurchase. Since I am running out of Nail Envy at the moment I may try it out on my fingers as well...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 11:22:00 PM More reviews by Bsheth86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Got this on a whim at Ulta. I don't know if this really "defends" my nails but I have noticed my nails have been growing faster. I still have chips here and there but since the growth has been fast I hardly notice the chips. I will continue using this and update if anything changes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2008 8:50:00 AM More reviews by missy_c

Really like this product, my beautician recommended it to me to stop my nails from chippnig during winter and I've seen a great improvement, I also love the fact that it dries very quickly so it especially good as a topcoat

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2005 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Kkb4u

I love this stuff! I've been using it on and off for about 4 years and I recommend it to everyone. My nails stay hard and they grow incredibly fast.